The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM
What's Shenmue?

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tato View Post
I don't see a lot of people talking about it, but I'm enjoying Yoshi's Crafted World. Been playing it pretty solidly on and off since it came out and am on the last set of levels at this point. The game is pretty easy for the most part, but in a way I really enjoy. I'm never particularly frustrated or pissed off at anything and there have only been a few levels I had to replay more than 2-3 times to finish with all the hearts.

After blazing through a bunch of backlogged indie games that were more intense, it's a good palette cleanser. Something just hard enough to make me feel like I'm doing work but not so hard that I have to concentrate 100% on it. Also, it looks fantastic and all the environmental stuff is quite clever. I'm glad they decided to ditch the mechanic of flipping the stage while you're going through it, I found that very annoying in Super Paper Mario.
I just wrapped up my own playthrough. I loved it!

It is, of course, a visual delightó the arts-and-crafts style is really fun and charming, and they use it in a lot of really clever ways (I like how, when playing the flip side of each level, the perspective reveals the 'seams' of the course's construction). But I was also pleasantly surprised to see that it's also just a really remarkable platformer in its own right. It's got that same design ethos as other modern Nintendo platformers: introduce a new idea, dedicate an entire level to it, then move on to the next cool idea so the game is just a constant stream of inventiveness.

I'm with you on the difficulty: I see it get some criticism on this front but I think it's perfectly attuned to the sort of game this is. Not just about being a relaxing play or letting the player soak in the sights, but also because the game encourages replay and explorationó and it's just a lot easier to get into that mindset with the knowledge that that last Red Coin isn't hiding in some white-knuckle gauntlet.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:58 PM

I've found that the boss challenges definitely add some bite to the end game on Yoshi.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

I loved the demo, but have told myself I need to finish a couple other games on my backlog before purchasing it (2 down, 2 to go!). But I keep being really tempted.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM
so exciting!

they heard you liked travis touchdown so they put him in dragon's dogma switch
Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 PM
Sega CD version is better

The 8.0 update looks to include a lot of improvements like a zoom function, game sorting, and save transfers.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
The 8.0 update looks to include a lot of improvements like a zoom function, game sorting, and save transfers.
Zoom function?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Double-click the Home button to magnify whatever's onscreen. If you say "enhance" while you do it, it's like you're in a police procedural! Also I guess you could use it for games with tiny text or whatever

(You have to activate it in the settings menu first)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:11 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Oh neat. I assume it originated as an accessibility feature, and it's a cool feature to have.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

So I got FFX yesterday for the Switch and, yup, the bloat is real: FFX-2 requires a 13GB download.

The game itself looks very nice in portable mode, even if the models themselves are really showing their age.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:29 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

While I'm glad new sorting options exist, they're still fairly limited and I'm probably going to keep using the default until they finally give us something like folders, or the ability to sort titles manually.

Plus I'd like to have the 'Show All Software' view mode be the default rather than something we have to scroll over and click on.

One change I noticed that hasn't been mentioned yet is that it removed icons for all of my game card-only games that weren't in the system, only the one that was inserted showed up, which is a change I kind of prefer.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
So I got FFX yesterday for the Switch and, yup, the bloat is real: FFX-2 requires a 13GB download.

The game itself looks very nice in portable mode, even if the models themselves are really showing their age.
Had I known, Iíd have gotten the physical version. Itís by far the biggest thing I have on the console.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Sorry, I should have warned you; it was the same on the Vita.

Also the same as the MMX collection. Seems to be the standard, really.

The good news is you now have Last Mission on your switch forever, even if you don't have the game card with you.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post

In my opinion, many of those models were already showing their age even back on the PS2. While they had some nice texture work and were a little rounder, I always thought the NPCs looked a little PSone-ish. Not a huge leap over the (in-battle) modelling from 8 and 9 and CC. Also it was so weird to see the more highly detailed models of the playable characters interacting with the flappy mouthed stiff marionettes; even their lower detailed models looked better than most of the NPCs. Biggest thing Final Fantasy XII did right over FF10 was make everybody look like they actually came from the same game.

The remaster has some visual improvements, but really adding fingered hands to some of the models just makes them look all the more awkward. Remasters are nice, but what Final Fantasy X really needs/deserves is a remake.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Rogue Robot

Eh, FFX looked pretty damn good on a reasonable 480i CRT back in the day. NPCs and all.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 AM

The PS2 still looks quite nice on a CRT. I'd recommend playing that way if you don't have a decent internal or external upscaler.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM
I hunt Mondays.

The NPCs were stiff models with canned animations and ventriloquist dummy-ish mouths and it's extremely noticeable, especially if you came to the game right off of the likes of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Onimusha like I did.

Like, I get it's a huge undertaking to make the game and that those other two could afford luxuries like better NPC facial animations* and choreography for more characters because of their smaller scale, but it still looked awkward even at the tail end of 2001.

* Play Onimusha in Japanese.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:15 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I never played FFX so I can't comment one way or the other, but MGS2 was way beyond anything else that came out at the time. I remember the original trailer feeling like something from the far future. It doesn't seem fair to hold other games from the same era to the same standards.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Sudden chomper

Yeah, Onimusha and MGS2 were both big-budget games that were less than 10 hours long. They definitely had more care lavished on them per hour of gameplay than FFX did, but Final Fantasy was still super impressive when it was released. Also MGS2 was like the first videogame ever whose in-game cutscenes had anything resembling TV shot composition, so the expectation wasn't there for other games at the time.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Rogue Robot

MGS2 has what? Maybe a dozen characters who are rendered at that level?

Like, yeah. No contest between Stillman and Emma vs. Donna and Maechen. But that's because MGS2 was insane on release, not because FFX was bad. And also because of the scale of both games.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Also the same as the MMX collection. Seems to be the standard, really.
Fridge space (even though my Switch has a pretty big (128GB) fridge) is a factor in why I went physical PS4 for MMX Legacy and MM Legacy 2.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Eh, FFX looked pretty damn good on a reasonable 480i CRT back in the day. NPCs and all.
ehhh. a lot of the npcs were pretty rough, even important ones like jecht.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 PM
I hunt Mondays.

I never said Final Fantasy X was bad. But I definitely had higher expectations for it, given the amazing stuff that Square had been doing on the PSone.

Still impressive that they crammed so much voice acting in the game, and I really love the environments and music. Much like FF8, FFX's soundtrack sees a lot of play on my radio in Final Fantasy XV.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Rogue Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Fridge space (even though my Switch has a pretty big (128GB) fridge) is a factor in why I went physical PS4 for MMX Legacy and MM Legacy 2.
I am deeply annoyed that part of the MMX collection is download only, especially since it's the FMV heavy half of it.

MM11 is about half a gig, MMX Collection 2 is something like, I want to say 6 GB...
Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Fluffy Prince

Mortal Kombat 11's Switch version finally gets its own gameplay trailer:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:11 PM

Good enough for me with the FPS its getting. Will wait for reviews but I'm optimistic.

Cuphead port is gorgeous on Switch so far.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Iím certainly optimistic. Allegedly, the day-1 patch for the game is multiple times larger than the game itself, so going physical isnít really going to save that much fridge space, if thatís a concern for anyone.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:01 AM

At this point I'm used to major publishers using the absolute smallest SD card possible and requiring the rest be downloaded. I'm just glad for even the tiny amount on the SD card, some publishers are just putting download codes in empty cases now.

Tags
任天堂 リバ , ah-ah ah-ah yeah! , all eggs in one basket , bait and switch , controllers for ants , dom/sub , ebullient millenials , hardware , joycon , lets talk preorders , litral switch to the face , miimosa party , neo-cons , nintendo , nintendo switch , no picross no sale , opinions , snap! , snitches get switches , swiitch , switch it on , switch palace , the new switcheroo , the switching hour , whip it