The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-16-2019, 02:42 AM
Back to the Bear

I just got a VGA cable for my Dreamcast the other day. The picture is just plain yummy! Only problem now is that I need a two female RCA to a male 3.5mm adapter... I have one, but it's this stubby little thing that won't fit in the back of my TV set. One with longer wires would be more convenient.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:18 PM
Slammaster

I'm waiting on RetroGamingCables finalizing their SCART cable, since it will have a switch on it to deal with games that use VGA and ones that don't, so no cable swapping!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Spear of Justice

MLiG does a thorough review of the new Analogue Mega Sg:

Seems they've embedded a bevy of options to allow for extensive tweaking of the MD/Gen's notoriously fussy audio output, and I love the way it looks. If I wasn't already so far down the analog-upscaling rabbit-hole, I'd consider picking one up.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:09 PM

I'm interested in this as well as the Super Nt, although I can't really justify it outside of future-proofing my systems. Well, as much as you can with constantly shifting technology.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Meal break

Pronouns: He/Him

I was looking at this a few days ago. I’m also pretty far down the rabbit hole of upscaling from an original console, but I was tempted. Shipping to Australia is $80US though, which takes it from “maybe” into “nope” territory.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I'm interested in this as well as the Super Nt, although I can't really justify it outside of future-proofing my systems. Well, as much as you can with constantly shifting technology.
I justified the Super Nt two ways. 1) Only certain models of SNES have non-noisy video, and even those need a bit of soldering to be aces (point 1a was that despite having like three SNESes, none of them were that configuration). (You can see a comparison in this video I made.) 2) I had hoped it would get a multicore jailbreak like the Nt Mini, but clearly Analogue is going to do a whole line of these things and don't want to just sell one FPGA super system. So I built a MiSTer instead.

It's really hard for me to justify a Mega Sg, because my JVC X'Eye outputs a pretty damn clean video signal, plus the issues with the Sega CD and lack of 32x support kinda bum me out. So yeah. But if you're not down the several-hundred-dollar-scaler hole, I definitely think it's worth it.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:58 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I almost, almost want one just to be able to use it as a way to play game gear stuff on a TV. But at that price it's hard to justify such a specific use case, especially since I don't own any actual Game Gear games
Old 03-26-2019, 01:25 AM
Back to the Bear

Because I'm cheap/broke, I'm thinking of going the Mega Retron route. It's gotten good reviews and I've seen it for as low as thirty dollars. I can justify that expense for a system I already own. $190, not so much.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM

I do wonder if I'd be better off jumping down the upscaler rabbit hole. Considering the Super Nt and Mega Sg would be $380+, I could get quite the scaler solution.

The issue there would be SNES, though, since I do have three systems, but one has really bad diagonal lines that aren't much visible on a CRT, one with the vertical band (not that annoying), and a Mini that only has composite.

I've got more Genesis systems than I can shake a stick at, though.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Slammaster

The OSSC is only $150 from VGP and, honestly, if it had been the workhorse it is now when I got my Framemeister, I probably would have gone that direction (but at the time, the most it would do is line tripling, i.e. 240 -> 720). There are still some things the Framemeister is better at, and the lag is lower than what almost any TV will do on its own, but yeah, if you have a bunch of hardware already, the OSSC and a bunch of SCART cables is maybe a better move than two Analogue consoles (even if they are super cool).
Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM

What's the verdict for stuff that isn't SCART? Is the Retrotink 2X worth it for composite/S-Video? There were mixed results in this thread, and I wonder if folks have any sort of extra thoughts now that it has been out for a bit.

I have a SCART-to-component box that works really nicely for my Genesis systems, but I have noticed that my new TV doesn't handle the video smoothly, putting a hitch in the video that I wouldn't be able to stomach. Looks great on my old Sony Bravia, though.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Slammaster

Not sure about how the OSSC handles it. The Framemeister does a respectable job of handling composite, but you can only do so much. I mean... my solution so far has been to mod the systems that don't do SCART.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM

Yeah, there's that. Maybe that's a better route, especially since I have a couple of systems that need recap work at the same time.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Slammaster

A bunch of nerds have made a significant upgrade to the version of Stella that runs on the Retron77.

This might be the thing that gets me into one of these guys.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Slammaster

New option for a backlit screen for the GBC. Optional VGA output. Looks dope, for those who still like to play their GBC games on a GBC.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Neat! I've been tempted to get either a backlit GBA or GBC, mainly for playing something like Kirby Tilt 'N' Tumble. I think the GB Boy Colour discrepancies would bug me too much.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 AM
Slammaster

John Linneman breaks down the DCHDMI and compares it to other options. It looks dope, but honestly, given that I already have an upscaler, I'm just planning to grab the RetroGamingCables.co.uk SCART cable when it finally becomes available.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 AM
Trinitron Enthusiast

This is amazing. Someone figured out how to extract hugely better image quality from the SNES's mode 7.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Pretty cool. Since the scaling is done to a flat background I'm surprised more emulators haven't supported this. That said I definitely remember whatever old SNES9x version I first downloaded defaulted to having gaussian filtering on for mode 7 scaling effects.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Slammaster

That's pretty dope!

Also dope: This lightgun that works with PC and Linux emulators without stuff like a Wii sensor bar being involved. Really thinking about backing this one...
Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 AM
Sudden chomper

That mode 7 thing is really impressive and I don't like it at all.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Armor Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Pretty cool. Since the scaling is done to a flat background I'm surprised more emulators haven't supported this. That said I definitely remember whatever old SNES9x version I first downloaded defaulted to having gaussian filtering on for mode 7 scaling effects.
In theory, increasing the horizontal and vertical resolution of a Mode 7 scene should be fairly simple. In practice, increasing the vertical resolution is complicated because most interesting mode 7 scenes modify the matrix parameters on a per-scanline basis, to achieve a variety of effects like F-Zero's perspective, Hyperzone's double perspective, SCV4's tube, Terranigma's underworld, Mohawk and Headphone Jack's title screen, etc. Creating a function to cleanly interpolate the matrix parameters for all the new, fake "scanlines" being added for all of these different use cases is likely a nontrival task.

I'm curious if a (modest) depth-of-field effect could be added to the landscape scenes, and how that would end up looking.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
That mode 7 thing is really impressive and I don't like it at all.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

How could something that looks so right feel so wrong?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Well I like it.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM
Armor Guardian

Hyperzone's lookin' weird:

Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I need to see some StarFox under that renderer.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

In Dragon Quest III you can actually distinguish detail with this mode 7 mod. It goes from a garbled mess to a respectably detailed 16-bit map.

Stolen from here
Old 04-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I need to see some StarFox under that renderer.
Would that do anything? Starfox uses a co-processor, not linear algebra trickery, right?

I think there are already emulators that can render upscaled/higher frame rate Star Fox (framerate speeds the game up, though).
Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Armor Guardian

High-framerate Star Fox I've heard of, but not hi-res Star Fox. At least as of a couple of years ago, nobody has written the code to make it happen, according to this old Reddit thread.

Tags
hardware , retro games