The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Luigi's Mansion is not as good as its sequel, which is unfortunate because I played the latter first.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:19 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
It's not just indie designers! The first Devil May Cry becomes biplane Star Fox for some reason at the end!
Decades before that, Ultima 1, one of the granddaddies of the RPG genre, had a space shooter level in it.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Well, I won't hold up Silver Surfer as an amazing game, but it's certainly not as bad as its reputation suggests. Found a cart today locally, and beat it for the first time. First run, I got all the way to the final levels... then I used a password to get back there and actually beat it.

Then someone on another forum guilted me into making it legit. So I did, although I might have engaged auto-fire because my thumbs are dead now. And I got through it! (And lest you think auto-fire is an amazing advantage in this game, it's not. You can't actually fill the screen with that many shots in the first place, and in some places, it actually messed me up a bit more. It just saved my poor thumbs another beating.)
I used to own Silver Surfer...beat it multiple times...had NO IDEA the game had a fucking password system!

Also, yeah, it's easily the best of the LJN Marvel games. Really the only bad thing about it is SS's hitbox being his entire sprite. If it was just his chest or something, it'd be completely fine.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
I used to own Silver Surfer...beat it multiple times...had NO IDEA the game had a fucking password system!

Also, yeah, it's easily the best of the LJN Marvel games. Really the only bad thing about it is SS's hitbox being his entire sprite. If it was just his chest or something, it'd be completely fine.
Yeah, you have to use a code to access it. Hold up on both controllers from the title screen, and it takes you there. Not sure where you'd be expected to find the passwords; I assume they were there for testing.

Anyway, to punish myself more, I played through both the US and Japanese versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And... well, I won't say it's a good game, but it also isn't as bad as you'd think. It's just alarmingly obtuse and weird. Once you figure out what's going on, it all clicks into place and ends up being a bit below average, but still playable, and really fascinating in how you proceed to the end (including getting the good ending).
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

I didn't personally beat Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, but I did buy it and watch someone else play through all thirty-ish hours of it.

It's extremely good! Also pretty hard, but includes a consequence-free easy mode and an early, cheap instant escape skill.

Do you like Earthbound? Yes? Then why haven't you played Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass yet?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I have completed a 100% run of Sonic 2006 for XBox 360. I'd like to do a postmortem, since it is such an infamous game, but I think it will be better suited for its own tread.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 PM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Anyway, to punish myself more, I played through both the US and Japanese versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And... well, I won't say it's a good game, but it also isn't as bad as you'd think. It's just alarmingly obtuse and weird. Once you figure out what's going on, it all clicks into place and ends up being a bit below average, but still playable, and really fascinating in how you proceed to the end (including getting the good ending).
Figuring out what's behind all the wacky obtuseness is one of the greatest joys of (re)discovering NES/Famicom games.

Anyhow I can't let this post go by without at least sharing the Jekyll & Hyde box art.

Scientists have attempted to replicate the pure and raw late 1980s graphic design energy channeled here; all have failed.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Have to admit, that's actually pretty creepy looking.

Also, I have to wonder who greenlighted this game. I mean, I can sort of understand Fester's Quest, but this one seems pretty inexplicable in hindsight.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Little Waves

If nothing else, it's important to remember the barrier to entry was a lot lower back when you could throw together a game in just a couple of months. I always think of this Jeremy Blaustein quote, talking about his time at Jaleco USA:

Quote:
It's interesting because it's a snapshot of a certain kind of relationship during a certain period, that hasn't existed for a long time. It makes you realise what small potatoes video games were back then, and how they were viewed. And we were dealing with tiny budgets, tiny amounts of money, tiny bits of memory. Tiny little games, you know? To look at the games we have now, and these huge launches, and these multi-million dollar things, it's hard to believe they're the same thing as Shatterhand on the NES, like we were doing back then, or Whomp 'Em. I remember this meeting with my first boss Howie Rubin, the sound guy on Q*Bert, and he was like, we'll make a pizza game and call it Delivery Boy! And we'd write up these half-assed little game plans, and send them to Japan asking, "Can you make a game like this?" And they would maybe throw a little team at you. We'll give you a team of three guys and they can work up this little game. Games were so innocent back then.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Finished Mechstermination Force. It's good, but it does that thing some games do where the final boss is completely and utterly different from everything that came before, which doesn't usually work for me. I want the end of a game to be the culmination of everything I've learned so far, but this game just laughs and goes "what if the game was just a free-moving space shooter now for one stage?" Still, wasn't enough to put me off the game.
Itís the Indie Designer Curse!

Iím glad someone else is as bothered by it as I am.
Gunman Clive did that too, so it's not exactly surprising. Wasn't too bad there, either, but it wasn't great. Haven't finished Mech yet...
Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 PM

Very true. I kinda miss those Wild West sort of days. I feel like in some ways, it almost operated like indies do today, at least in some cases.

And gotta love that Shatterhand mention. That's one of my absolute favorites on the NES.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Chief Servbot

Hideki Kamiya, Suda51, and Yoko Taro are all guilty of the related sin of "putting very bad shmup section in your game"
Old 04-15-2019, 10:37 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Ehhhh, I mean, in Taro's case he loves his character action/shmup hybrids.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Born in the USA

Nier Automata is a shmup with action RPG elements
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Ehhhh, I mean, in Taro's case he loves his character action/shmup hybrids.
This still doesn't make the shmup sections of these games any less dull
Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I enjoyed them for the most part in both Niers *shrug*.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Freedom Planet was definitely a Sonic fan game, which is actually pretty legitimately cool.

I played as the dragon, who seemed like the most straightforwardly Sonic character, and... That seems like it was a mistake? Her double jump was great for platforming, but I kept tripping it by accident during boss fights when what I wanted was to jump then trigger her lunge attack, and I'm pretty sure her melee range is shorter than Bike Girl.

Overall though it had really good design, with a lot of interesting level concepts based around either actually going fast or playing with speed.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:37 AM

I liked Freedom Planet more than real Sonic. Come at me.

I don't know what it was, though. Perhaps the addition of melee attacks did it for me. It definitely throws the kitchen sink out there in mechanics, because you get Rocket Knight moves, Mega Man X-style wall-jumping, stuff that would feel at home in Gunstar Heroes... I mean, it shouldn't work, but it does. I loved it enough to play through as all three characters. I am mildly excited for the sequel.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

My only complaint with Freedom Planet was that the bosses all take way too many hits, and I was never quite sure if thatís because they had too much health or because some attacks were stronger than others. A couple of bosses either had on screen health bars, or took visible damage which helped with that, but not many.

On the other hand, the difficulty slider only seemed to affect how much health enemies had, so that was an easy bypass as well.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Yeah, the bosses were pretty involved. It usually took me a few deaths on each one to work out how to avoid their attacks and approach them safely. I did wind up turning the difficulty down about halfway through, from normal to easy, and I felt like the bosses were much more reasonable, even if some ordinary enemies still seemed to take way too many hits. And once I worked out that the challenge to each boss was working out my route in and out, their design mostly clicked for me. I don't think there are any that I thought were especially great, but...

With Lilac, I don't know if different attacks do different amounts of damage. I do know that her cyclone double-jump and the spin-around-in-a-circle segment of her special could both land a lot of hits very quickly. Those worked really well on some bosses; on others I had to limit myself to conventional attacks because trying for multiple hits would leave me too vulnerable.

Though the difficulty slider does have one other effect - at Easy and below, you get health regen. On normal you only get health back from pick-ups.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Funko Superfan

Finished off Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection last night. Just an outstanding amount of content and all for free. I've been playing it regularly since it was released in October and it took this long to work through it. The last few puzzles were super devious and I was stuck on them for weeks, but I pushed through and it was a great feeling.

It's a very strange game though. Tons of content with pretty unobtrusive ads. Lots of Bomberman, Gradius, and Sports themed puzzles. A whole section devoted to Tokimeki Memorial. There was a Castlevania section but it kind felt like it was only there because it had to be. But no Suikoden, no Silent Hill, no Metal Gear (understandable), only a little Goemon. Feels like a large chunk of Konami's identity was missing. Oh well, maybe they're saving something for the sequel (please!).

All that said, there was a surprise cameo near the end that sent my heart aflutter.

You will never be free, boss.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Given that it's a mobile game, they could always add more puzzles in a future patch.

Of course, given that it's a mobile game, they could also add stamina bars, coins, more intrusive ads, and other monetization "features" as well if they do that.

I definitely appreciate that Konami released an awesome Picross game like this.

Speaking of Picross, I really hope that when (If?) Square-Enix makes that alleged offline version of Pictlogica Final Fantasy they'll give the game an actual dang international release for once. I'd really like to play the game without resorting to importing or hacking a 3DS.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Decided to replay Blaster Master Zero, the original, less horny one. But then I figured ďwhy not make it 10% hornier?Ē So I played the Shantae DLC.

As Shantae, the game is a lot easier; you get a lot (a lot) fewer options in the overhead stages, and most of the upgrades are removed from the game (the only weapon you can find for the overhead sections is a Mother Brain transformation-dance), but on the other hand; the Mutant and Mother Brain dances are both incredibly overpowered; MB in particular can shred just about any boss in seconds, and bypass most obstacles. And in the side-scrolling sections, you donít take any fall damage, and the hair-whip is far stronger than Jasonís gun to make up for its lack of range.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Given that it's a mobile game, they could always add more puzzles in a future patch.

Of course, given that it's a mobile game, they could also add stamina bars, coins, more intrusive ads, and other monetization "features" as well if they do that.

I don't think either will happen. It totally feels like a game made by a small team (maybe even one person) that was greenlighted because it would provide revenue for little cost. I don't think it was more than a blimp on a VP's spreadsheet. And that's good, it allowed the creator(s) the ability to make something neat and fun and slight.

I mean heck, they haven't even updated the ads in all this time. It's still shilling Bomberman R and Castlevania Requiem.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 AM
I hunt Mondays.

They haven't updated 'em to sell the new Konami compilations, huh? That's surprising.

Definitely grateful that Konami released something like this. I get that the primary goal of these games is making money, but too many good F2P mobile games tend to get bogged down by their monetization components. It's nice to see one that just merely hopes that you'll buy one of the things on the banner.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Born in the USA

Gears of War Judgment is competent, but the highly segmented levels and scoring system make it feel artificial.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:14 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Breath of the Wild! As Linkle, thanks to mods.

BotW is pretty incredible! It tells amazing stories through gameplay, in part thanks to the brutal strength of enemies, the disposability of weaponry, and the breadth of Linkle's abilities.

That said I played the game in kind of a weird way.

First off, I didn't upgrade my inventory, ever. Which worked out fine, there were always plenty of powerful weapons around for me to lean on. Dragonbone Greatclubs were a particular favorite of mine, thanks to the ever-present stalfos. I almost ran out of bows during one of the Divine Beast assaults, and I ran out of shields during the final battle.

Second, I didn't allow myself to eat uncooked food, and I only allowed myself 5 cooked items on my person at a time. Later I upped that to 10. The reason for this is the ability to pause the action and chug as much healing as I wanted felt clunky and robbed combat encounters of meaning for me.

Third, I... did not know that awakening multiple great fairies was what allowed them to upgrade items more. I heard about a particular late-game grind I didn't want to do (dragons), and assumed that armor had three levels and I merely had never picked up any of the materials for the third level. I did find out in time for the final boss, but I spent 38 of my 39 hours getting one or two shot by what I thought were intentionally brutal enemies.

Here's what I liked:

The Linkle mod, overflowing with Good Clothes, some of which were made just for Linkle.
Voluntary sneaking.
Walking around.
Bomb arrows.
Climbing.
Swimming.
Finding stuff.
Mazes.
That dark forest bit.
Getting up to "who needs a boat" shenanigans with Cryonis.
Climbing on top of stuff and seeing multiple shrines in the distance.
How intensely gay the game is if you play as Linkle.
Mipha.
Sidon.
Urbosa.
Daruk.
Learning Thundaga from Urbosa.
Learning the Symphony of the Night super jump from Revali.
Learning 1up from Mipha.
Zora engagement armor. HP Lovecraft says having a fish-person spouse is bad because he's a racist, someone at Nintendo disagrees strongly.
Buying new clothes.
Dying clothes.
Feeling like I barely scraped by via using all the resources available to me.
Completing half the main quest before going to Kakariko.
Doing puzzles wrong.
Beedle, because when you're ten hours in and haven't been to a town yet, you need arrows like whoa.
Everyone who sells bomb arrows.
Eating several soups to survive being on fire on Death Mountain.
Using that triple-shot bow with bomb arrows.
Buns, my one and only horse; who I accidentally hijacked mid-combat while trying to catch a boomerang.
That really satisfying effect when something breaks.
Abandoned mini-game spots.
Those two women out hunting for truffles.
The Yiga clan.
Virtually everything else also.

Things I didn't like:

The weapons you get for beating a Divine Beast break. I wish they repaired themselves like the Master Sword does currently, and that the Master Sword would instead be indestructible. It's pretty weak in the non-evil-smiting mode, so there would still be reason to use other weapons.
You have to open the menu to heal. I wish whistling was a button combo, and that holding down opened a hotbar for your food. Or maybe bring back bottles and have cooking be bigger, longer-term buffs you can only get at campfires (see FFXV).
The complete lack of an official Linkle mode. An official one would probably be less gay, though, so maybe this one's fine, actually.
The final boss's first phase.
The Deku Tree does not immediately tell you that you can swap stamina for hearts when you try to pull the Master Sword out, leading to it feeling like the game punished you for the choices you've inevitably made because climbing is fun.
Guardian lasers shatter your shield if you mess up the parry timing. If you're like me, and only have four shield slots... that really sucks.

So yeah. I went into this game going "there's no way this can be as good as everyone says it is. I'll just try out the Linkle mod and mess around a little bit, then go back to playing FF7."

I'm hesitant to say Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game ever made, because it feels like a clean break between eras of Zelda. Comparing Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past to Breath of the Wild makes no more sense than comparing The Legend of Grimrock to Skyrim. They are fundamentally not the same thing. I went from not caring about a single Zelda game other than A Link Between Worlds since, like, Wind Waker, to caring 1000000000000% about future Zelda games.

I am not hesitant to say that Breath of the Wild is among the best games ever made. It's in a league few other games can compare to.

Also, the Linkle mod can't replace cutscene models with Linkle's model while it can replace subtitles to change Linkle's name and pronouns, which makes it pretty explicitly a story about Linkle being trans.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 04-21-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Chips Challenge is done. All 149 levels. Near the end, I used a few walkthroughs for some levels, which probably counts as cheating (I don't care). For the last 40 levels or so I looked at maps of the whole level. I don't consider that cheating, seeing the whole level should be standard.

It is a mean game, but sort of really charming. And despite being glad to be done, I still want more, so I already started the second game.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Finished off Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection last night. Just an outstanding amount of content and all for free. I've been playing it regularly since it was released in October and it took this long to work through it. The last few puzzles were super devious and I was stuck on them for weeks, but I pushed through and it was a great feeling.

It's a very strange game though. Tons of content with pretty unobtrusive ads. Lots of Bomberman, Gradius, and Sports themed puzzles. A whole section devoted to Tokimeki Memorial. There was a Castlevania section but it kind felt like it was only there because it had to be. But no Suikoden, no Silent Hill, no Metal Gear (understandable), only a little Goemon. Feels like a large chunk of Konami's identity was missing. Oh well, maybe they're saving something for the sequel (please!).

All that said, there was a surprise cameo near the end that sent my heart aflutter.

You will never be free, boss.
I'm really close to finishing this myself. I've got like 5% left. I ran out of boss puzzles months ago, since I concentrated on doing those in little bits of free time.
Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM

Blaster Master Zero 2 was great. So glad to finally get a good Blaster Master sequel after decades. I greatly appreciated this game's greater focus on the vehicle portion of the game, there are way more Sophia-based bosses and they all require you to put all your tricks and power-ups to good usage. I even enjoyed the tricky bosses you had to deal with as a tiny on-foot person.

I also was a big fan of the Order Of Ecclesia style universe map navigation, so you could just pop in and out of self-contained planets instead of having to backtrack over well-worn territory. Made the game a lot snappier to play and let the developers focus on making cool layouts and puzzles.

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , game over , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , too much free time , true end , victory cry , whittling the backlog , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner