The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-13-2019, 01:20 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I'm really curious as to why you don't like fishing in games, Demo.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Not Constantinople

I think it's always important to remember that "I don't like thing" =/= "thing is bad".
Old 04-13-2019, 03:41 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Sure, except the statement made was explicitly "thing is never good".
Old 04-13-2019, 03:55 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

IS THIS WHAT JRPGs DO TO PEOPLE?? IS THIS WHAT JOB SYSTEMS MAKE YOU LIKE
Old 04-13-2019, 04:06 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
On Talking Time? Apparently. Don't talk about JRPGs, peoples' lives are on the line.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Well, in order to answer that, you first have to define "JRPG"...
Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Not Constantinople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Well, in order to answer that, you first have to define "JRPG"...
Old 04-14-2019, 01:32 AM
xanadu next shill

Pronouns: he/him

If you end up enjoying Chrono Trigger definitely check out Final Fantasy V and VI on your SNES Mini. They're fantastic games that are very different from each other.

I'd really recommend giving EarthBound a shot, but most likely when you're more familiar with JRPGs. It's pretty tough at the beginning, and while it gets easier I don't feel like it's a good fit for a newcomer to the genre. Do check it out though.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:43 AM
We just don't know.

JRPGs are good, actually

I want to get around to Octopath Traveler and Xenoblade 2 (and/or the Xenoblade golden whatever game? That's just a whole different game, right?). And I still have a bunch of 3DS JRPGs I've been meaning to play for... oh like almost five years or so, that's all. SMT4, FE:Fates, Bravely Second, DQ (4 or 5) and/or 7... Maybe more? I don't fuckin know anymore.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigo View Post
If you end up enjoying Chrono Trigger definitely check out Final Fantasy V and VI on your SNES Mini. They're fantastic games that are very different from each other.

I'd really recommend giving EarthBound a shot, but most likely when you're more familiar with JRPGs. It's pretty tough at the beginning, and while it gets easier I don't feel like it's a good fit for a newcomer to the genre. Do check it out though.
I will try all of these! I've always wanted to sit my ass down and properly beat FFVI - I had it on the PS1 and OH MY GOD that version loads a lot.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Irrespective of prior mentions, a selection of RPGs compiled on the basis that they're shorter in length than the genre median, which for many can be an appealing thing on its own. This of course means that we can still be talking about 20 hours or more per game--and personal pace/how thorough you want to be can further affect total time--but none of these should clock much higher than 30, with many of them in the teens or less in terms of hours spent:

Crimson Shroud
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II

The King's Field series
Vagrant Story
Koudelka

Various other FromSoftware RPGs (Evergrace, Forever Kingdom, Eternal Ring, Lost Kingdoms and Lost Kingdoms II)
Hybrid Heaven
The World Ends with You

Phantasy Star (Sega Ages release on Switch, in particular); the rest of the series as well, though maybe not II
The Quintet "Heaven and Earth" family of games (ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma)
Most SaGa games are on the shorter end, especially the Game Boy trilogy under the Final Fantasy Legend banner
Suikoden
Elemental Gimmick Gear

Various Mario RPGs, favouring the earlier ones
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Guadia Quest, via Retro Game Challenge
The Last Story
Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu
Live A Live
Contact
Vandal Hearts

Mega Man Battle Network series
Brave Fencer Musashi
Quest 64
Panzer Dragoon Saga
SaGa Frontier
(its structure is akin to an anthology comprised of seven individual stories, ranging roughly from five to a dozen hours each)
Most Ys, the earlier the better
Xanadu Next
Early Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; a good cut-off point for both is IV
Brandish: The Dark Revenant
Any Mother
Threads of Fate
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Arc the Lad

The Mana series
Guardian's Crusade
The Lufia series
Various Shining series games (Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Shining the Holy Ark)

I'm sure there are many more!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

The Megaman Battle Network series has a super-fun action-turn-based battle system (every turn takes a few real-time seconds and is action based). They might stretch the definition of JRPG, but that is vague anyway, and if you haven't played them I totally recommend them. Especially 2 and 3, and specifically not the first one (it's fun, but clunky, and the second game basically does everything it does, but better). To this day, they are some of my favourite GBA games.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:33 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Oh man. Battle Network 2. Sheesh. Lordy. I actually have beaten that and it is... the most... tedious... thing. I'm glad you like it. I was like whaaat.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 AM
I hunt Mondays.

I will never forget how Lan's first trip to the MMBN version of New York in 2 had him get robbed like three times in succession. That was seriously fucked up.

Kinda like this but not played for laughs.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:51 PM
xanadu next shill

Quote:
I will try all of these! I've always wanted to sit my ass down and properly beat FFVI - I had it on the PS1 and OH MY GOD that version loads a lot.
That version was my intro to the game, but I'm not sure if I could go back to it after playing VI Advance. If you think the loading on the PS1 version of FFVI is bad, you should check out the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger. The seamless battle transitions are replaced with the game freezing for 5-10 seconds.

It's awful.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:19 PM
I hunt Mondays.

And Final Fantasy VI Advance had its own problems. Frequent framerate hits, music that doesn't sync up properly/doesn't fade out/plays the Phantom Train theme proper when it's just supposed to play the ambient train sounds, still being too dark to see on a reflective GBA despite jacking up the brightness...

Frankly, it's a miracle that TOSE got FF6 running on the Game Boy Advance at all, and I really wish they had held out for a DS release instead considering that Chrono Trigger turned out way better on the port front.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:23 PM
xanadu next shill

Yeah, considering how late of a port FFVI Advance was, it probably would have been better to have ported it to the Nintendo DS instead. It's still a very impressive GBA port despite this, and I think that the slowdown issues were fortunately not as severe as FFV Advance.

I still enjoyed it quite a bit though (despite the trouble of finding a legitimate cart on eBay in 2010!), but I think if I played it these days I would have to use the restoration patches.

I'm not sure which would be a better experience: FFVI Advance with the sound & graphics restoration patches, or the SNES original. I'm well aware that the SNES version has some bugs, and that there is a ridiculous amount of localization patches all trying a variety of different approaches to updating the script.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

FFVI Advance is fine with a music patch.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 PM

Trickier to get hold of now than it used to be, but either of the first 2 Paper Mario games (but mainly Thousand Year Door) make for great entry points into the land of RPGs, because they take the bit where all the juicy gameplay meat is- Changing around equipment and using different abilities to effect the size of numbers in combat, and really drills down to the core of it by making those numbers as small as possible.

"I should use the fire spell whenever I see these monsters because doing 587 damage to them all off the bat means I can finish them off with basic attacks from everyone else and save 37 MP over what it'd cost to heal afterwards if I just mashed through" is a hard lesson to pick up on since it's all so esoteric, but "my boots that let me jump on something twice for 2 damage each are normally better than my hammer that hits for 3, but this hard shelled monster ignores the first two points of damage from each attack, so yeah, it's hammer time" is really really intuitive, and then that lesson can transfer back over to the rest.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:30 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Yeah, I'd second Thousand Year Door, it's great. It's easy to grasp but not to the point of being brain-dead. It's a strong contender for being one of the best JRPGs of its decade.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:47 PM

It's been a while since I played either, but I think I might like the original a bit more? Both are really good, though.

I was concerned at the time about how well Paper Mario would turn out without SquareSoft, but they nailed it.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
It's been a while since I played either, but I think I might like the original a bit more? Both are really good, though.
I definitely liked the original better, TTYD dragged a bit too much for me.

I vaguely recall madhair disliking TTYD and vastly preferring the latest paper mario, though, so a bit moot.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I definitely liked the original better, TTYD dragged a bit too much for me.
I think that's what happened to me as well. Of course, that's been... 15 years. Geeeeeez.

Also, I know it isn't quite as popular, but don't sleep on Super Paper Mario.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Paper Mario bored me until it became a Sierra adventure game on the 3DS and Wii U
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Paper Mario bored me until it became a Sierra adventure game on the 3DS and Wii U
Nothing wrong with that; I quite enjoyed Sticker Star.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM
-ryn

has anyone here tried playing a classic JRPG on cell phone?

My understanding is Chrono Trigger, several Dragon Quests and several Final Fantasies are on phones.

Are the controls any good at all? Any that are particularly well suited to a phone? Any not?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

I did a run through DQ3 a few years back. It was fine, control never really got in the way even if the UI was clunky at times.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I enjoyed DQ1 on iOS. My only complaint is that it wouldn't let me listen to a podcast while playing.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM
I hunt Mondays.

I've played many of these, so I have opinions. Generally, as far as playability goes the games have converted pretty well; common features are to flick and hold in a direction to move there, toggleable running, tap on enemy to attack, and touch-based menus.

As for individual games, here's some stuff I know about the ones I've played.

Final Fantasy II: Targeting everything is a li'l tricky in this one. You have to move your finger while not on the thing you want to target so it does a li'l sparkly thing, then release it on the target.

Final Fantasy V: Has panels for targeting specific characters if you want to use them, as well as panels for targeting all and running. Also features diagonal movement (this can be turned off). You can also use a controller and it plays basically just like a PSone Final Fantasy with one.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Has seriously evolved from being a half-assed PSP port back in the iOS days to being one of the best versions of the game. Has the option to move the camera in ways it was never intended to move (great for making sure you move exactly where you intended), has a toggleable option to either tap directly to confirm or tap OK to confirm after highlighting a thing, has many other options to fine tune your experience. All around a great port and the only things I wish it had are controller support and a release on modern consoles.

Dragon Quest I, II, III: Allow for quicksaving everywhere, have localizations up to modern DQ standards. DQ2 also has its Zoom spell work like it did in the games following it now. Have options to resize and move the digital pad, but you can flick anywhere on the screen to move.

Dragon Quest IV, V (haven't played VI): Are basically the DS games so they look great. Quicksaving unfortunately has the same limitations as the DS games. Also have options to move and resize the digital pad. DQ4 has Party Chat now (That's good!) but doesn't support flicking anywhere on the screen to move (That's bad.)

Romancing SaGa 2: Menu tapping controls are a li'l finnicky in this one; it's easy to confirm something you didn't intend to when you were trying to tap on a different command. Running is inexplicably operated by holding instead of toggling; take my advice and turn Auto-Dash off. Supports a controller, but the button assignments are a li'l odd on mobile. Oh well, I'd expect nothing less of a Kawazu game.

YMMV on the graphics in some of these, of course. I tolerate 'em but I know that Square Enix can do better, too.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 AM

The DQs on mobile are perfect for commutes, bathroom breaks, walking your dog, waits at the DMV, etc. The pixel art is a little bit screwed up but I'd still recommend them.

Tags
arguing on the internet , jrpg , jrpgs , recommend games , recommendations