The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Got my Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero code in my email today and I can't play it until Sunday, and even then I gotta hold out until I get at least a little work at home done.

I mean I've already waited 2 years to play it, but at least then it wasn't even a possibility.
Wait. It's out already? I thought the codes were out but the game wouldn't go live until the 20th.

Speaking of which, I really should charge my Vita. A pity it is not Crossbuy.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:44 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Super Mario Run requires a persistent online connection. Because pirates.

Nintendo made a commuting game that I can't play on my commute.
Nintendo continue to baffle me
Old 12-12-2016, 06:45 AM
New Video World is out!

Isn't Pokémon Go the same?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Isn't Pokémon Go the same?
Same as what? Requires a persistent online connection?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:04 AM
New Video World is out!

Yeah.

I'm not being a dick, I genuinely don't know, I haven't played Go. I assume there's an online/4G element.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:37 AM
Video Monster

It does, but in the case of Go, I figure people expect it since it needs to constantly update where you are on a real-world map. Plus it's more of a Pokemon Co. product than a Nintendo product.

Super Mario Run is apparently a Mario game with controls tooled for smartphones, and that's it - it doesn't interact with your environment.

Related gripe: I hate how Mario Maker for 3DS can't share online. I understand that Nintendo wants people to go out and walk around, but I feel like they don't get that not everyone lives in a densely populated megalopolis where everyone commutes on trains.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:03 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Wait. It's out already? I thought the codes were out but the game wouldn't go live until the 20th.
If you have a code you can play it, unless you can't. They're not selling the game until the 20th.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:34 PM
hidden in snow

I brought my Vita on this business trip to play FFXV via Remote Play, and either the hotel has a firewall that's blocking it, or there's something I need to configure on my router. I specifically left my 3DS at home this trip, so no DQ7 or Picross for me. I suppose I can read my kindle, or play one of the other dozen games that I have loaded on the Vita.

I'll sneak it to work tomorrow and try it on the guest network that I know is open and has a ton of bandwidth.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:06 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Yeah, Pokemon Go doesn't work without a constant connection. Though that game has enormous issues as well, like the fact that you have to have the game open and running on your phone to count steps, or else buy a doodad that's impossible to find. Which means it is also impossible to play on my commute because my phone dies by the time I'm done walking from the subway to work.

(It's also unrelated to Nintendo, except for said doodad)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Super Mario Run is apparently a Mario game with controls tooled for smartphones, and that's it - it doesn't interact with your environment.
There is an online component in the Toad Rally and kingdom building modes, but they decided just to make the whole thing require a connection rather than decouple the single player levels from the other modes.

Super Mario Run being compromised doesn't bother me too much. What worries me is the precedent this sets for Nintendo apps going forward, like the upcoming Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem games. AC I can understand needing a connection, at least.

I'm also worries me that they're not optimizing the data usage at all.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:03 PM
albret einstong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Super Mario Run being compromised doesn't bother me too much. What worries me is the precedent this sets for Nintendo apps going forward, like the upcoming Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem games. AC I can understand needing a connection, at least.
I would say that the precedent for "Nintendo has baffling and awful online policies" was set well before Super Mario Run. It's a bummer, but also totally in line with how Nintendo has approached the internet for its entire existence.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:31 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcee Escher View Post
I would say that the precedent for "Nintendo has baffling and awful online policies" was set well before Super Mario Run. It's a bummer, but also totally in line with how Nintendo has approached the internet for its entire existence.
Yeah, personally I get super bummed out when people trot out the tired "Games are better when you can punch the person next to you!" excuse. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last year I had dudes over to play games, and I can't for the number of times in the last week I played a game online with friends.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 AM
New Video World is out!

I massively favour local multi but I wouldn't want online play short-changed.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I'm pretty sure that pretty much everyone prefers local multiplayer (it is one of my favourite things), but that just becomes less and less practical as we all get older. I have an entire section of my Steam Wishlist devoted to cool couch co-op only games that I consult on the rare occasion that I manage to have a couple of people over at the same time to play video games.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 PM
kill

I only prefer local multi-player if everyone has their own screen. I have a good size TV and split-screen still sucks. If it's a single shared screen like Streets of Rage or NBA Jam, then local is definitely better. Fighting games too.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Answers come in dreams

I wish I was playing Dragon Quest 8 on 3DS right now.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

why isn't super mario run on android yet
Old 12-16-2016, 12:12 AM
Time for singing

Etrian Odyssey 5 isn't a thing that's happening. ;_;
Old 12-16-2016, 05:57 AM
Banned

Yeah, I wonder what's going on with that one. Did they announce they specifically were NOT doing it?
Old 12-16-2016, 07:32 AM
contains words & diagrams

I strongly suspect they're in all hands on deck mode for P5 until they can get it out in English without any more delays.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Related gripe: I hate how Mario Maker for 3DS can't share online. I understand that Nintendo wants people to go out and walk around, but I feel like they don't get that not everyone lives in a densely populated megalopolis where everyone commutes on trains.
They've gotta leave some room for improvement in the Switch version.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:17 AM
New Video World is out!

My copy of 007 Legends will not load Licence to Kill.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

The Swindle is extremely tempting at $3.75, but I would much rather play that game on Vita.

...That's kind of the case with a lot of the games in the Steam sale, I'm finding. Steam gives me the best bang for my buck in terms of pure games-per-dollar, but PC is far and away my least favorite platform for games.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Got World of Final Fantasy for Crimmus, popped 'er into my PS4 and left while it did its udates and whatnot... and came back down and fount it paused without QUITE installing them. And now it won't finish installing. Just says "An Error Occured" when trying to run the game.

Anyone know what all that's about?
Old 12-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Got World of Final Fantasy for Crimmus, popped 'er into my PS4 and left while it did its udates and whatnot... and came back down and fount it paused without QUITE installing them. And now it won't finish installing. Just says "An Error Occured" when trying to run the game.

Anyone know what all that's about?
Try a full reboot - turn off the PS4 (full shutdown, not suspend), wait a few seconds and turn it on. If it still fails, delete the game files, full reboot and try to install the patches again.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Thaaaaat solved my problem.

Lacking in sleep this Crimmus morn, not at my psychological best.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:07 PM
whatever it takes

I'm stuck in an office doing """real""" work instead of growing my glorious blueberry empire with my mopey husband-kun in Stardew Valley :<
Old 01-03-2017, 01:51 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I'm pretty sure that pretty much everyone prefers local multiplayer (it is one of my favourite things), but that just becomes less and less practical as we all get older.
No. Split screen can be terrible.

I guess if you mean LAN party? Honestly I'd mostly just want to get away from the house for an excuse not to stop playing games while it happened, the convince of the internet still, generally, wins.

Local multiplayer is what board games are for.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Local multiplayer is what board games are for.
(Although I do miss my Smash Bros.)
Old 01-14-2017, 06:04 PM
disguised king of surfing

I bought Final Fantasy X/X-2 for Vita. X-2's not on the game card, though; they have a download code in the case to use online. So I fire up the PS Store, enter the code, and-- "This code may not be correct or may be invalid."

Try again, same thing. So I go open up a chatline with Sony's support. As it turns out, the code has already been used. They can't do anything about it, so I've gotta go back to where I bought it and tell them what's up.

blaaaaah i just wanna play the roguelike mode and the pokemon mode
Old 02-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Just after 8 yesterday someone compromised my PSN account and changed the sign-in, so I have no access to my account. It looks like there is a solution on the forums, but their phone service is closes at 8 and is only available M-F. I tried making a second PSN account to access chat support which is open Saturday, but maybe because the account I made for chat is so new the login isn't recognizing the Online ID. Or it could be that Sony's online is run by boobs.

So I'm locked out of my account for the weekend, and I'm guessing they're closed for the holiday Monday too. I'm worried that I'll lose the account completely, of course. I've never bought too much on there but I'm worried especially about my FFXIV service account, which is tied to my PSN. I don't want to be locked out of playing FFXIV on the PS4 (which I've just started playing again this week, and enjoy a lot more on console). UGH. I've had a really tough week at work and just wanted to play some Overwatch and escape to Eorzea for a bit.

Tags
a whiner is you , gripes