The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-01-2015, 11:05 AM

A friend just made me aware that Blood of Bahamut is a thing for DS. From Square-Enix. Japan only.

It looks REALLY good. Sighhhhhhhhhhh. Why does Square hate money so much?
Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 AM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
A friend just made me aware that Blood of Bahamut is a thing for DS. From Square-Enix. Japan only.

It looks REALLY good. Sighhhhhhhhhhh. Why does Square hate money so much?
A quick google search indicated that although Square didn't release the game in the West (probably because of piracy ?), at least there is an existing fan translation of this game.

Everyone who wants to play this game promise that he will buy the 3DS remake if it should ever surface.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:49 AM
Cool Bunny

Suikoden II has made it to the Australian PSN store in the last couple days. The first Suikoden, for some reason, has not. Boo.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 AM
poisonous thread snake

I wanna play Super Aleste 2 and whatever other unreleased SFC game is being alluded to in this 1993 interview with Masamitsu "Moo" Niitani of Compile
Old 04-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

I was looking forward to picking up Bastion for the Vita today, but apparently only the PS4 version actually comes out today, with the Vita version still "in development."
Old 04-08-2015, 05:48 PM
you can't win them all

I want to play Mortal Kombat X. Badly.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 AM
me want the puyopuyon

Sonic Heroes (PC) keeps crashing every time I try to open it.

Oh well, it's probably my computer trying desperately to save me from myself. Just wish I had some idea of where the error is. I don't think it's a graphics driver issue, but that's possible -- and I've been looking through the system files to see what, if anything, seems like it could be conflicting
Old 04-09-2015, 03:46 AM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post

Oh well, it's probably my computer trying desperately to save me from myself. Just wish I had some idea of where the error is. I don't think it's a graphics driver issue, but that's possible -- and I've been looking through the system files to see what, if anything, seems like it could be conflicting
I'm not an expert but have some experience starting old games on PC.
What OS are you using? What service pack?
32 or 64 bit?
Edit: also, which graphics card, which driver version and which sound card?
Oh, and what motherboard?
Old 04-09-2015, 05:24 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post

You've probably tried this but look into sites like Sonic Retro for fixes. I would help you out but I'm away from my computer.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Wasteland 2 just won't run on my 10-year-old XP machine anymore, no matter how much cajoling I do. Why is it that the games that look like shit are also the ones that run like shit? Of all the games to prompt a new PC purchase...
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 AM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Wasteland 2 just won't run on my 10-year-old XP machine anymore, no matter how much cajoling I do. Why is it that the games that look like shit are also the ones that run like shit? Of all the games to prompt a new PC purchase...
Would you feel better if I told you Wasteland 2 ain't that great?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned

Actually, I would feel much, much worse
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM
contains words & diagrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Actually, I would feel much, much worse
Hrm. Well look at it this way, that PC upgrade would also make him able to play Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, and Torment Tides of Numeria (when it comes out).

I got bored as fuck with Wasteland 2 about a third of the way in or so. The combat is serviceable but boring and the writing is the same; those being the two most important parts of a WPRG IMO add up to a perfectly competent but remarkably boring experience. Nothing about it compelled me to play it over the million other things I've got competing for my time. Bear in mind its not even Bad, its just completely uninspired and without any kind of heart or charm. Or more specifically it IS inspired but they didn't have the chops to pull off the nuance correctly; its not full of attrociously written or terrible content dialog, it feels like they got someone who's main job is writing technical manuals to do the important NPC characterization text. The other big flaw is its redundant: almost every named NPC of any level of import has an option to talk about the keywords you've picked up for that area but so much of it is just copy pasted between NPCs, no one has anything fun interesting or quirky to say. Since good NPC dialog is how RPGs make up for your custom rolled characters with no backstory or dialog...yeah.

Ultimately Wasteland 2 was not for me and I feel like people going in to it expecting what I was expecting are going to be really disappointed, but its also possible the game just completely failed to strike a chord with me. I was having a lot of fun with it early on and just thinking "okay it probably takes a bit to get going but I'm enjoying the combat so I'll stick with it" and it never got going and the combat itself wasn't fun enough to stick with for its own sake.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 PM
Chief Servbot

I feel I would have been much more diligent in my NES collecting 10-15 years ago if I had known some of the games worth playing would start going for 200 fucking dollars
Old 07-24-2015, 01:29 PM

I'll tell you what I'm not playing. Project Phoenix! I backed the thing and it was supposed come out in mid-2015. But now it's near the end of July! Arrgghhhhh *insert internet rage*

Anyhow Project Phoenix is the first Japan-based video game project (according to their Kickstarter) but it appears it won't be the first to deliver a game. The latest backer update says they never got the main programmer they were counting on, so someone else has to brush up on their programming skills to take over.

So it just goes to show that you have to be prepared to lose your money entirely when you fund these things. I think some form of game will come out in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Espurrs are proud.

I played a bit of Romancing SaGa 2 on an emulator - enough to figure I could play it through in Japanese - and now I'm waiting on my physical copy to come in on Tuesday (got it for like $5).
Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 PM
one zero zero one SOS

I'm not playing Castlevania Bloodlines on my Wii U.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
I'm not playing Castlevania Bloodlines on my Wii U.
You're not playing it on your Wii or in Wii mode, either.

Konami's Genesis output was always one of the weirdest omissions from Virtual Console. It's not like Nintendo had a problem publishing games third parties had made for other consoles; we got the Turbo Duo's Rondo of Blood and Gradius II on the Konami front, as well as Capcom's Genesis output and every version of Street Fighter II they could get their hands on.

Also weird is NES Contra continuing to not be on Virtual Console. What the hell's up with that?
Old 07-25-2015, 09:31 AM
one zero zero one SOS

I just want to play Rondo and Bloodlines back to back so I can decide once and for all which is better. And I want to do it on my couch.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Canadian Robot

Assuming you're talking about Castlevania, you can play both on your PSP. If you have one, that is.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidthorn View Post
Assuming you're talking about Castlevania, you can play both on your PSP. If you have one, that is.
I'm pretty sure he means playing them legally; Bloodlines would require PSP hacking to play.

Also the unlockable port of Rondo of Blood in Dracula X Chronicles is inexcusably shitty. Blurry visuals, out of sync sounds, no audio fadeout, the odd graphical glitch here and there...It's playable, and the only legit way to play it in English/with subtitles, but the PSP port job does it a great disservice.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I'm pretty sure he means playing them legally; Bloodlines would require PSP hacking to play.
I was actually going to originally post "I want to play them on my couch and not illegally" but I thought the latter was implied.

But yes, I want legit versions.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:34 PM
me want the puyopuyon

But. VWii
Old 07-31-2015, 10:38 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Can't have any personal electronics in the hospital, can't get any browser games working on the hospital computers. Cookie Clicker worked for a bit this morning but is now broken.

Soooo booooored
Old 07-31-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Can't have any personal electronics in the hospital, can't get any browser games working on the hospital computers. Cookie Clicker worked for a bit this morning but is now broken.

Soooo booooored
Get back into Kingdom of Loathing maybe?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:45 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I've never actually played that game! I guess I'll try it?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

I pre-bought Galak-Z, and it's downloaded and I can't play it until the little two-day count down on the PS4 dashboard hits zero.

So it's just teasing me
Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I had a friend over for the long weekend, and I told him to bring a PS3 controller with him so that we could spend the weekend playing Dragon's Crown (I'd previously had a lot of fun playing Chronicles of Mystara with another friend, so I was pretty sure we'd enjoy ourselves). We settled in and I hopped on the PS store, only to find that the game was $50. $50! I could go order a physical copy of the game on Amazon right now for less than half that price. I was completely unprepared for it to cost that much. I was expecting more like $15, or maybe $30 if we were unlucky. Maybe Steam has just given us unfair expectations, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to spend that much money on a digital download for a game that's over two years old, and it really bummed us out.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:48 AM
is Earnest

Also it was free on PS+ a while ago. I'm pretty shocked that it's still so expensive too.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I pre-bought Galak-Z, and it's downloaded and I can't play it until the little two-day count down on the PS4 dashboard hits zero.

So it's just teasing me
And now it's out and I'm at work all day so I won't be able to play it until tomorrow. Same problem with Fafnir Knight.

Fate is the cruelest of souls

Tags
a whiner is you , gripes