The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Rascally Badger's Avatar
Rascally Badger Rascally Badger is offline
This Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hell, Earth
Posts: 9,988
Default

I have not had the time to participate in this thread, but I greatly approve of it.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-28-2018, 06:05 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is online now
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Back at the Evil Factory, the egg that Mokkari was bombarding with strange radioactive mists has hatched giving birth to The Four Armed Terror!

Which may be the least imaginative name Kirby ever came up with. And since this is a series with people named Scrapper Jr., Darkseid and DeSaad, that's saying something.
I feel like this doesn't given enough unimaginative name credit to Steel Hand.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Meanwhile, at PROJECT (I'mma just call it Cadmus from now on. The all-caps is starting to wear on me)
Is this something DC retroactively named The Project to make it cool in the 80s or 90s? I'm a little over halfway through the collection (and almost out of Jimmy Olsens) and haven't seen this yet. (The only mainstream DC I've ever read was parts of Morrison's JLA and Waid's Impulse in the 90s, because Wizard was pushing them really hard. Not the worst decision anyone's ever made because of Wizard!)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

The two are associated, but I don’t know when. I don’t think it was until after the Kirby run though; The DNA PROJECT is a perfect Jack name.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-28-2018, 06:49 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is online now
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The two are associated, but I don’t know when. I don’t think it was until after the Kirby run though; The DNA PROJECT is a perfect Jack name.
It's doubly perfect because the DNA Project creates DNAliens (and also tiny planets full of draculas and wolfmen, because horror movies were projected into their tiny sky).
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-03-2018, 04:39 AM
Johnny Unusual's Avatar
Johnny Unusual Johnny Unusual is online now
till the sheriff stops by
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 6,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
nothing else has done so good of a job of establishing why I love Intergang as an antagonist so much; they couldn't possibly think any smaller. Intergang has an ICBM LAUNCH SITE and uses it to fix a bet.
At the same time, they seem to be thinking ridiculously big. Think about it, if the question is "as a criminals, what would you do with an ICBM?", using it to fix a bet is bizarely small potatoes. But if the question was "how far would you go to fix a bet?", launch a missile into a man is a crazy-ass response.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

That's a point that I had not considered and, frankly, it makes me love them all the more. Intergang may rapidly be replacing COBRA for being my favorite supervillain organization.

ANYWAY, back to The Forever People with SUPER WAR, which is a bit of a grandiose name for a pretty standard HERO AND VILLAIN FIGHT story. Which opens with the Forever People holding up traffic, after they wander into the middle of a city hunting for danger, indicated by the fact that Vykins Mother Box is Ping-ing like nuts. Which is mainly notable as a cold open because Big Bear is so excited about a bad joke about hippies that he gives a guy a big ol' hug and winds up cracking his ribs. Big bear is rapidly becoming my favorite Forever Person, by default, because they're kind of boring.

Anyway, a few more teleports, and the F-Peeps find themselves in their new-home; a run down crappy tenement owned by a waifish parapalegic, and his terribly nervous gun-toting uncle who is totally going to shoot everyone. Which is a pretty understandable reaction because this was the 1970s and every single person on a motorcycle (Super or not) is totally going to murder everyone they see, as shown in virtually every single movie released in that decade. Luckily, he calms down once Beautiful Dreamer hypnotizes him into seeing the F-Peeps as doppelgangers of his childhood buddies.

In an extremely roundabout way, this is also where the danger that the Mother Box is revealed; Serefen uses New Genesis technology (Blast Processing, I believe) to repair a TV (and also give the waifish child a psychedelic freak-show) and in a news report he sees that the city they just wandered away from has become a killing-and-feeding ground for one of the New Gods of Apokolips; Mantis.

Mantis is one of the cooler Evil Gods, but so much about him is very poorly explained; even the Who's Who entry on him included in the back of the collection shrugs and says "I 'unno"; but the essential is that he's the physical embodiment of consumption. He sucks all the energy out of the area he exists in and can also release it in a variety of forms; mostly explosions and lightning bolts; so long as an area is bereft of any energy, he's fine. He was also on Earth before Darkseid arrived to for the Anti-Life Equation, feeding endlessly on American cities, and Darkseid is content to just leave him here because he doesn't give a wet-fart about the planet except that there's a chance he can find the secret to Anti-Life here.

He's also just letting Mantis run roughshod over the city hoping that in the terror he generates someone will start thinking of the Anti-Life Equation so he can steal the secret from them. This part of the plan isn't particularly explained well.

Anyway, the Forever People combine into Infinity Man, again, and the rest of the issue is Mantis and Infinity Man smacking one another in the jaw and shooting lasers at one another, until Mantis eventually runs out of energy and has to flee back to his cocoon to recover.

At no point is it explained why a guy whose power involves devouring all forms of energy and leaving nothing for anyone else to be able to subsist off of is called Mantis. Locust would fit better, considering. But even then except that he naps in a cocoon, there's nothing remotely bug-like about him.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Excitemike's Avatar
Excitemike Excitemike is offline
Space Prez
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post

Is this something DC retroactively named The Project to make it cool in the 80s or 90s?
It was a post-Crisis change, when they started re-integrating the concept back into the Superman line. Kirby had written a story about cloning called "The Cadmus Seed", this could be the origin of the change.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Büge's Avatar
Büge Büge is offline
Toothsome!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TO, ON, CA
Pronouns: She/Her
Posts: 16,100
Default

I was looking up pages of the Forever People, and I can't help but wonder if, like Big Barda, Beautiful Dreamer was based on Playboy model Lainie Kazan.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

The New Gods continues with O' Deadly Darkseid, which is pretty light in plot but pretty heavy in Jack Kirby pinups and recap exposition.

Picking up shortly after where the last issue left off, with a repeat of the Source Walls prophecy about Orion leading New Genesis to a final war against Darkseid, and High Father urging peace, because seeking war is not their way even against a foe as deadly as Darkseid. Additionally, Orion leads the humans he rescued from Darkseids palace on Apokolips back to their homes, and finds that the God of All Evil is just chilling on a recliner inside.

This is a recurring motif with Darkseid.

There's a big of idle threats and bantering back and forth, but neither lift a finger to one another (almost like Darkseid and Orion don't want to fight for some reason. Hmmm...) and Orion gets into a fight with one of Darkseids servants; Brola the Stone Hand! So called because... he... has a brick in his hand.

A Guy With a Brick is, obviously a very poor sort of match against the God of War, so the fight lasts, like, three panels before Orion knocks him out a dang window, and Brola is forced to teleport away to Darkseids Earth fortress for his safety (Darkseid shows up at the same time and kicks Brola right in the butt for sucking so bad as a henchman). And while Orion uses his Mother Box to explain to his new buddies what The Gods of Apokolips are doing on Earth, Darkseid finds his chief engineer and the God of Torture, DeSaad has completed his newest invention; The Fear Machine. A giant gun shaped like a goblin that emits energy waves that cause people to completely freak the geek out. And Darkseid hopes that, once again, he can just scare someone so bad they reveal the Anti-Life Equation in a blind panic.

DeSaad hide the Fear Machine in the middle of a (frankly spooky) billboard and uses it to blast Metropolis with TERROR, which Orion notices, but is not affected by. So he flies out with his Astro Force Harness, locates the Fear Machine and blows it to smithereens. Orions new buddies recognize what a threat Darkseid poses to the world and vow to help him, and Darkseid chokes DeSaad partly for his failure (and for the fact that DeSaad is a real creep), and almost-but-doesn't-quite let the cat out of the bag regarding why, exactly, Darkseid doesn't really want to kill Orion and kind of respects him.

About the best thing this particular issue had going for it was Brola: The Apokoliptic Hitman with a Cattleprod and a Brick
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-04-2018, 05:59 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is online now
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,396
Default

I honestly loved that so soon after Steel Hand, you got Brola the Stone Hand.





Unfortunately, there aren't anymore ~Hand based enemies (or, at least, not yet).

Very sad.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

Jimmy Olsen next with The Four Armed Terror; another issue that's pretty light in story but heavy in action. And, unlike the last couple of times that happened... it's a corker!

Picking up shortly after the last issue, wherein Mokkari and Simyan finished super-evolving their own monstrous DNAlien; The Four-Armed Terror: Homo-Usurpus! And then they just Boomtubed it out into the middle of the Wild Area, presumably. Or else the Evil Factory and the Wild Area share a neighborhood. I really wouldn't discount either possibility. In any case, it's ripping the Wild Area and Habitat apart looking for powerful sources of radiation to feed on.

In addition to looking like The Thing (just yellow, and with more arms ((it has four arms))), The Homo-Usurpus is also borderline invulnerable, brutally strong, possess more brains than normal and can also weave cocoons made of solid energy. So... pretty dang effective power-set there. The 4 Armed Terror demolishes most of Habitat before finding a power-conduit for The PROJECTs atomic pile and eats it, releasing enough energy that a sizable chunk of The Wild Area is turned into a crater.

Naturally, this quickly starts to look like a job for Superman, who asks Jimmy and the Legion to stay behind (since he is an flying alien strongman, and they are a group of 1920s Newsies), but the book is called Jimmy Olsen, not Action Comics, so they disobey and head off to help Superman fight the Terror.

And they collectively achieve nothing; the monster is too strong for Superman to outmuscle, and it's weird biology makes it immune to the weapons the Hairies developed. Also, it traps the entire group in a giant egg made of Radioactive Energy, before heading off to its next meal; the PROJECTs main atomic pile.

Which delights Mokkari and Simyan as the explosion that will result from the monster eating that will not only annihilate the entire Wild Area, but will also destroy all of Metropolis as well. And probably a sizable chunk of the USA with it. And delighted that they didn't screw-up for once, Mokkari and Simyan decide that since one Homo-Usurpus did such a good job, they might as well breed dozens more of them.

Oh Shiiiiiiiii~
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

Okay, that sophomore slump is clearly over now, as Mister Miracle comes out swinging with The X-Pit, which (among other things) introduces what is probably the worst villain in the entire Fourth World. Yes, including the literal God of Torture and the Space-Devil.

And the issue has a pretty damn incredible cold-open that I'm a little disappointed only lasted for a few pages; while Scott and Oberon set up a new death-defying trick for audiences, an unseen entity called OVERLORD takes aim and obliterates Mr. Miracle (actually a decoy robot Scott built); the usual blank panel borders are replaced by mechanical apparatuses apparently part of Overlord, all taking aim at Scott, or else by status reports from the Overlord computer.

Scott is displeased, but not surprised to see his robot stand-in get destroyed by an unseen bolt of energy (he's far more upset by the fact that his Mother Box took a glancing blow), and is disturbed because an attack like that could only mean that Granny Goodness is on Earth!

Granny Goodness, you see, runs the orphanage that Scott Free grew up in. She is also a complete monster and the Goddess of Child Abuse. She reacts to the knowledge that Overlord failed to kill Scott by striking her darling children. Repeatedly. With a club. Which they accept graciously because it's such a treasure when Granny pays attention to them.

She is horrible.

Anyway, Granny sends some of her henchmen out to abduct Scott and bring him back to her to make up for him being such a Bad Boy and escaping from her years ago and they, too, accidentally wind up kidnapping the robot decoy, as well as Oberon. Which does lead to another scene showing what a monster she is; ("NO! You only praise Darkseid! You will die for HIM and that is a reward for ME!" she screams at a henchman groveling at her).

Mr. Miracle learns that his mannequin and best friend (respectively) have been kidnapped by one of the cruelest beings in the DC Universe and that is hardly an enviable position, so he suits up and tracks them down to Grannys new Earth-bound Orphanage, where he and Oberon are thrown into a deathtrap designed by the Torture-Circuits of Overlord itself; The X-Pit! Which is an empty room with a single control panel with a dozen buttons. Every single one of which triggers a different deathtrap.

Mister Miracle manages to escape once he realized that the X-Pit can only activate one trap at a time, so by rapidly flipping between different ones none of them last long enough to do any harm, and he then overloads Overlord by shoving his Mother Box directly into its CPU.

As he leaves, he reveals that Overlord, despite it's massive, frightening visage was actually just a tiny, tiny robot in a matchbox using camera tricks to make it look larger, and taunts Granny saying she'll never be able to imprison him again.

And just like that I am totally on board the Mr. Miracle train.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Johnny Unusual's Avatar
Johnny Unusual Johnny Unusual is online now
till the sheriff stops by
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 6,886
Default

Yep, Granny Goodness is a good villain. My favourite Fourth World baddies aren't the big toughies, but Granny Goodness and Glorious Godfrey, who are sort of like gross-sleazy corruption and are both authority figures rejected by Pink Floyd's the Wall for being too over the top.

Also, wouldn't Dolores Umbrige from Harry Potter fit in SO WELL in Apokalips?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Also, wouldn't Dolores Umbrige from Harry Potter fit in SO WELL in Apokalips?
I absolutely read all her dialogue in Ed Asners best old lady voice, yes
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Johnny Unusual's Avatar
Johnny Unusual Johnny Unusual is online now
till the sheriff stops by
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 6,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I absolutely read all her dialogue in Ed Asners best old lady voice, yes
Also, the DCAU had the best casting, didn't it?



Also, Gilbert Gottfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk is the only choice.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

Back to Forever People with Life versus ANTI-LIFE, and boy but it is a doozy, introducing not only one of my favorite Fourth World villains with Glorious Godfrey, but also The Justifiers.

And it opens with a quote from Adolph Hitlers love of being able to manipulate people with words, amidst a full auditorium for one of Glorious Godfreys (God of Lies) lecture halls. Even by Jack Kirby standards, this is an incredible lack of subtlety and it is only going to get less subtle.

Ol' G.G. has been holding these lectures in order to praise the benefits of submitting yourself to the concept of Anti-Life and dedicating your life to Darkseid, thus turning them into Justifiers, people who feel that any terrible action they take is justified because someone else is making decisions for them. They also all wear pointed hats and dress like medieval peasants.

You know, just in case the metaphor wasn't clear yet.

The book wastes no time in kicking off from this point, with a Justifier tracking down the Forever People with the intent of killing them at any cost. And thus they feel justified in threatening to kill that crippled orphan boy they live with, and also exploding himself with an Apokoliptic bomb. The Forever People realize that their new friends are in danger near them so they leave in order to confront Godfrey directly.

Meanwhile, other Justifiers break into the homes of people of an ethnicity or income bracket that they aren't big fans of, and also to set fire to a library full of books that don't conform to their world views.

Jack has a pretty clear mental image about these guys.

Anyway, the F-Peeps find Godfreys headquarters, and it looks like it's going to be a standard Forever People resolution; they combine into Captain Planet Infinity Man and punch the problem until it goes away. And that's exactly what happens... for one page.

Then it turns out Darkseid himself was in attendance at this lecture, and he finally decides to get physical with things; taking out Infinity Man by just cold-staring at him, and having DeSaad round up the Forever People and cart them off to The Village of the Damned, which Darkseid had built in order to find the Anti-Life Equation. Which surprised Godfrey, leading to this;



And that's where we end the issue; with the most powerful hero in the Fourth World beaten with humiliating ease by the villain, five children being hauled off to a murderous prison, Godfrey free to continue making space nazis and Darkseid pretty definitely calling himself the greatest evil in existence.

Hooo buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Johnny Unusual's Avatar
Johnny Unusual Johnny Unusual is online now
till the sheriff stops by
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 6,886
Default

I don't know about anyone else, but I long felt that if they were going to do a live action Darkseid on film, he should be played by Jim Carter, who played Mr. Carson on Downton Abbey? Anyone agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

Even ignoring the fact that he’d done the voice for years, with Micheal Ironsides they wouldn’t even need makeup.

Just give him a miniskirt and film him in black and white.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Johnny Unusual's Avatar
Johnny Unusual Johnny Unusual is online now
till the sheriff stops by
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 6,886
Default

That's also a great choice.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

Not a complaint, per se, but this issue really diminished Final Crisis for its use of the Justifiers. In that; their goofy-ass helmets had speakers in them broadcasting the Anti-Life Equation 24/7. They were basically autonomous zombies from the instant they put them on. Here they’re just awful, awful people who decided of their own free will to join with the bad guys because it gave them an outlet for their hate. The goofy helmets were just to make the fascist comparisons extremely obvious.

Additionally, Godfreys speeches sound alarming similar to Donald trumps.

Oh, and neither here nor there, but the Anti-Life Equation as represented in Final Crisis is still really, really stupid, too.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Rascally Badger's Avatar
Rascally Badger Rascally Badger is offline
This Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hell, Earth
Posts: 9,988
Default

Do you mean how it was used or the actual mathematical formula?

Because I disagree with the first, but agree with the second with the caveat that I also love it for being so stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

The latter; it’s use as a plot device was very effective.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Starts with your heart
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 24,104
Default

Where can we actually buy this thing? Digitally, if possible.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is online now
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Where can we actually buy this thing? Digitally, if possible.
Digitally, the relevant series are on Comixology. You'd want Jimmy Olsen #133-148 and every Kirby issue of The New Gods, The Forever People, and Mister Miracle.

Some of these Comixology listings for the three original series include later revivals. The Kirby issues are New Gods #1-11, Forever People #1-11, and Mister Miracle #1-18.

Then there's a new story a decade later in New Gods Vol. 2 #6, and a final graphic novel called the Hunger Dogs which . . . doesn't seem to be available digitally (?) and stupidly overpriced as a standalone out of print book. So . . . that throws a wrench into things. It's pretty annoying that they're one title away from selling the whole project digitally...

On the other hand, I haven't got there yet and people have mixed feelings about Hunger Dogs. Kirby wanted the series to have an ending, but DC wanted Darkseid to be their big villain forever. So . . . it might not be the biggest loss to just leave things hanging? I can't make a judgement yet...

Last edited by estragon; 03-09-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:42 PM
ghosttaster's Avatar
ghosttaster ghosttaster is online now
poisonous thread snake
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,074
Default

Nobody's missing anything by not reading Hunger Dogs. The King's heart was definitely not in it and its an unsatisfactory conclusion. If you gotta have post-New Gods Kirby thats on that way-out tip I highly recommend Silver Star.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

I, personally, am reading this.

The next issue of Jimmy Olsen: The Big Boom is a ticking-clock nail-biter, as every narration box also includes a countdown to a nuclear blast that will annihilate Metropolis. And, because Jack Kirby does as Jack Kirby is, this isn't just a number getting smaller, it's yelling out for all to hear that "IT IS 15 MINUTES UNTIL HOLOCAUST!" Or "7 MINUTES UNTIL DOOMSDAY" or, my all-time favorite line of dialogue from a comic book; "FIVE MINUTES UNTIL BLOW-UP" (and the blow-up must happen).

Anyway, picking up immediately after the last issue, Superman and the Newsies are stuck in an unbreakable radioactive egg created by the Four Armed Terror; Homo Usurpus, which is now making a beeline to a nearby nuclear reactor, which will then explode and wipe out Metropolis. And presumably a lot of other stuff. So that's a pretty big deal.

While the rest of the PROJECTs private army (as well as the Newsboy Legions dads, and Guardian) head off to try to intercept the Usurpus, hoping that a hundred Jimmy Olsens can prevail where Superman failed. Superman, meanwhile, came to the conclusion that while he can't punch his way out of the egg, he can probably rub his hands together so fast that the friction burns he generates can melt through the side!

And, Supes, dude... you... have much less silly looking ways to do that.

But the silly way works and, without so much as a by-your-leave, he leaves the kids behind to fly off and try to stop the Usurpus from reaching the plant. The kids are kind of put out by being left out of this but, well, again, this is a race to save the entire city from a catastrophe against an apparently unbeatable menace, so Superman can be excused for hurting some feelings.

Back at the Evil Factory, not willing to jeopardize their first ever chance to actually succeed at something, Mokkari and Simyan decide to send the entire brood of Homo Usurpus to the atomic reactor hoping that at least ONE of them will be able to destroy it despite interference from two superheroes and hundreds of Jimmys Olsen.

And, at the Daily Planet offices, Morgan Edge (remember him?) receives word from one of Darkseids lesser underlings (not Darkseid. Darkseid does not give a damn about Morgan) that Metropolis is about to be annihilated by a nuclear explosion, so he opts to leave town in his private helicopter, and politely tells everyone at the office he'll see them tomorrow.

Back at the exciting all-out battle between PROJECT and a dozen 4-armed terrors, enough damage has been done to the reactor that it's going to explode, and soon, and the Usurpus army shows no signs of even being exhausted, so Superman rips the entire reactor out of the ground like a weed, races off to the very deepest tunnel complex in PROJECT (leading straight down into the Earths Core, for some reason) and drops it; the Usurpus all chasing after it in a blind pursuit of their food. ANd the resulting nuclear explosion is... probably still really, really problematic for the environment, but that's probably about the best anyone could hope for, considering. Also, all the Usurpus died since, while they eat radiation, they probably don't handle multi-megaton explosions very well.

Oh, and the Newsboy Legion are all still sulking because Superman didn't bring them along.

Teenagers, amirite?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-09-2018, 06:26 PM
R.R. Bigman's Avatar
R.R. Bigman R.R. Bigman is offline
Family Man
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Knoxville! Knoxville! Knoxville!
Posts: 9,486
Default

I don’t know much about the Fourth World saga other than what I’ve seen in the DCAU. I remember Darkseid and Highfather trading sons as a gesture of good will, with High Father getting Orion and Darkseid Mister Miracle. The message of both turning into good people despite one being imprisoned and tortured for years and the other being the son of the universe’s ultimate evil was not lost on me.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is online now
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 47,588
Default

One more New God is introduced in The New Gods, with Death is a Black Racer. Which opens, as all comic books should, in space where a frantic Lightray is desperately trying to avoid The Black Racer. You know how Death is usually depicted as a skeleton with a scythe, because that's a visual metaphor that's extremely easy to parse?

Jack Kirby DOES NOT GIVE A TRUCK ABOUT ESTABLISHED ICONOGRAPHY!

When he draws the Grim Reaper, he's a stoic black man wearing plate-armor on skies! IN OUTER SPACE!

Anyway, WHY The Racer is after Lightray is never elaborated upon, save that destiny can not be averted and even Gods may die and yadda-yadda-yadda, but the upshot is that we get a multi-page, and pretty exciting, chase scene with Lightray doing everything he can to try to fight off the Racer, which accomplishes little because while Lightray is a spry little fella, he's trying to outrun and outfight DEATH. And when he finally drops from exhaustion (by which I mean, flying right into a meteor, because he wasn't watching where he was going), Metron appears out of nowhere and Boomtubes The Racer to Earth, then sarcastically says "You're welcome" and complains that Lightray could have done that himself if he wasn't such an impulsive dimwit, and then leaves.

Kind of digging on Metron here, guys. Dudes just not having it.

Anyway, since Orion is the headliner here, when we get to Earth, we focus back on him, despite being the least interesting character in this book, where he and his interchangeable human buddies recap the premise of the series (Darkseid and friends are on Earth, trying to take over, Orion is going to punch them until they stop being problems), and they also decide that Orion looks too conspicuous in his superhero costume (which, for the record, is just red footy pajamas. I literally can not think of a single superhero with a less distinctive appearance) so they get him some regular clothes. And now I can't even tell who he is on the page, so... good job.

Anyway, this whole scene, and pretty much the only thing of note to include Orion in this issue, is the revelation that Orion uses his Motherbox to disguise his face, and without the mask, he has a much uglier, craggier appearance. Kind of like Darkseids face, really. Hmm... well, nothing significant about that I'm sure.

ANYWAY, back to the Racer, who finds himself in a Blaxploitation movie, as he witnesses The Sugar-Man, a hitman for Intergang gunning down a stoolie, just outside the hospice room of Willie Walks, a paralyzed, catatonic Vietnam veteran (with a cruelly ironic nickname). The Racer, as it happens, doesn't actually like people committing murders (understandable, it's more work for him), so he punches Sugar-Man right in the face, blinding him. Then, the Racer, recognizing Willie Walks as a guy who would probably prefer anything to being in a vegetative state outside Suicide Slum (was it called Suicide Slum back in the 70s?) with gang-related hits outside his window makes him a deal; he'll restore him to life in exchange for being a host-body for the Racer while he's on Earth (additionally, Willie will absolutely die) and he is completely okay with this trade-off.

And so, the reborn Willy The Racer heads off to intercept Sugar-Man, who fled back to the Intergang hideout, despite being blinded by having the God of Death punch him right in the face, where the local Intergang lieutenant reveals their next job, stright from Darkseid himself; deploying a new Apokoliptic bomb capable of melting all communication metal within a thousand miles!

This seems like an extremely implausible sort of weapon, but it's also made by evil Gods from a constantly-on-fire Hell Planet, so I'm hardly in any position to comment on what is or is not within the realm of possibility.

Anyway, the lieutenant assigns Sugar-Man to drive the bomb to the proper location (despite Sugar-Man being blinded by a God-Punch, and having medical gauze covering the top half of his head, and wearing sunglasses over the gauze) just as the Racer flies through the window looking for revenge. And the triple-blind Sugar-Man grabs the kleys to the getaway car and drives off, firing wildly at the Racer (and hitting him. It just doesn't work because, again, he's a psychopomp), and he instead uses his great cosmic powers to activate the bomb, and also turn off gravity around the car so it flies straight up into deep space where it can epxlode harmlessly. And, satisfied that he obliterated a minor criminal, the Racer returns to WIlly Walks bed and turns back into his vegetative alter-ego until his next great adventure.

Oh, and Orion also punched the hell out of some mobsters. Which is quite a step back from the sight of him fighting an army of Parademons, Kalibak and a giant goblin-machine that causes people to become violently terrified.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Johnny Unusual's Avatar
Johnny Unusual Johnny Unusual is online now
till the sheriff stops by
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Posts: 6,886
Default

You are getting to the point where vol. 1 ended for me ( just the first half of a Mr. Miracle 2 parter) but I thinks a damned shame DC doesn't do much with the Black Racer. He's like a magic Punisher on skis. Whenever guys like the Spectre or the Phantom Stranger pops up to show that a situation is of cosmic import, they should just use the Racer instead.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Büge's Avatar
Büge Büge is offline
Toothsome!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TO, ON, CA
Pronouns: She/Her
Posts: 16,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Anyway, WHY The Racer is after Lightray is never elaborated upon, save that destiny can not be averted and even Gods may die and yadda-yadda-yadda, but the upshot is that we get a multi-page, and pretty exciting, chase scene with Lightray doing everything he can to try to fight off the Racer, which accomplishes little because while Lightray is a spry little fella, he's trying to outrun and outfight DEATH. And when he finally drops from exhaustion (by which I mean, flying right into a meteor, because he wasn't watching where he was going), Metron appears out of nowhere and Boomtubes The Racer to Earth, then sarcastically says "You're welcome" and complains that Lightray could have done that himself if he wasn't such an impulsive dimwit, and then leaves.
Once upon a time, a New God named Lightray was flying in the sky above New Genesis, when he spotted the Black Racer skiing towards him. Terrified, he called upon Metron for help, and Metron begrudgingly opened a boom tube to allow Lightray to escape to Earth.

Metron confronted the Black Racer, and asked him why he frightened Lightray. "I did not mean to frighten him," the Black Racer explained. "I was merely surprised to see him here, since I have an appointment with him on Earth."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 minutes until blow up , cosmic hunting license , don’t ask just buy it , goody goody , jack kirby , kirby krackle , mother box , tiger-force

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007