The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
But yeah, the show is hardly a masterpiece and it's just disappointing when you know it could have/should have been so much more. I look forward to reading your reaction to the last handful of episodes though, the second season ends on a very good place with some wild shit.
Yeah, that finale was a baller capper to a baller arc. The whole thing was great and I like that we find out Wilk is kind of shitty, but not for the reasons we might have expected. Plotting to turn his daughter into soldier to lead a revolution might have seemed a good idea at the time but it isn't good dadding. And I love that Sugimoto is the one most pissed off about it because while he is a soldier, he wouldn't wish that burden on his worst enemy. The dude hates what he's done to survive war, justified or not and the idea of setting up a loved one into that position is pretty disgusting to him.

Boy, if the last team up turned to shit, Sugimoto teaming up with Tsurumi seems like it isn't going to end well (not that he had much of a choice). JBear correctly stated that the one stoic guy who (as far as we know) doesn't have a huge man-crush on Tsurumi is such a great character. He doesn't do much but you got to hand it too him for taking it all in stride.

Assuming he lasts much of the series, I'm curious about how much of Nikaidou is going to be left.

Other anime things we finished: Release the Spyce. Previous two episodes where actually pretty engaging (still would have not recommended it to anyone but went a long way to making me more invested). The last episode basically undid all of the interesting plot twists in a pointlessly circuitous way. Keeping in mind, I came up with a better twist than the show did, theirs started out painting a character in an interesting light before saying "Nah, never mind". Also, we barely got to see the glamourous muscle lady from the opening credits despite being the most interesting bad guy.

Banana Fish... happened. Can't take that away from it. Also, your ending isn't nearly as tragically poignant as you think it is, TV show. You haven't earned it. Oh, and someone was named Moonwalk. Banana Fish would be so much better if it was 100% less rape/threats of rape and 100% more funny names.

Some of the quieter shows like Rascal Bunny Girl blah blah blah and Bloom Into You had good endings that weren't really endings because maybe season 2 will happen. Bloom didn't even get to the big play they were building toward. The World in Color had a fine ending but while I liked it, I wasn't as into the show as much as JBear was. Still, sweet, pretty show.

Honda-san kept happening until it didn't but really it's that kind of show. I certainly know more about Japanese bookstores and am happy that people in Japan are reading Blacksad, apparently.

Doug and Kirill really came together for the finale. Fun stuff. Unlike Release the Spyce, it treated it's little narrative cheats like cheeky jokes. Also "That's too many soldiers!" is a fun ending line for the season.

I think that covers everything that finally ended.

BTW, looking forward to the upcoming anime lull just so I can watch other things. Finally going to watch season 2 of the Good Place and start watching Deep Space 9. The only full episode I remember watching is the one where they are Jumanjied into an evil board game or something.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:08 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him
Default This post literally took me half a dozen hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
The World in Color had a fine ending but while I liked it, I wasn't as into the show as much as JBear was.
Demonstrably so, as you can see from its position on the list I'm about to post!

Anyway, aforementioned effort-post incoming. As it turns out, I don't need to have a good memory when I have AniChart to remember things for me!

First of all, my top 10 shows of the season:

10. Violet Evergarden is not a show that I think I'd recommend to most folks. It's very slow and meandering, and takes a few episodes to find its footing, and the couple of war flashbacks episodes near the end completely shattered my disbelief and failed to land as they just went cartoonishly overboard. But in the creamy centre are a series of touching emotional vignettes about people writing letters to each other. One episode in particular just about destroyed me. Oh, and the show is just jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

9. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny-Girl Senpai is a show that I almost dismissed out of hand based on the key art and title alone, but I'm glad that I didn't, because it was fun and unique. I think that the core conceit of high school social anxieties and traumas made physically manifest is really compelling (ex: the MC's little sister has to leave school after her classmates turn on her on social media and this leaves her body covered in cuts), even if the show indulges in silly philosophical discussions about poorly understood concepts from Physics to attempt to explain them. It definitely suffers from being adapted from a series of light novels (you can see the seams), but I feel like it really elevated the source material thanks to gorgeous visuals, clever writing, good performances, and a great chemistry between the two primary leads.

8. Megalo Box is a unique throw-back to a bygone era in anime, and I love it for that, even though I think I enjoyed it less than many folks. It's certainly not my favourite boxing anime (Ippo says hi), but it's easily the most stylish, with top-notch music and visuals and a bitching OP.

7. Zombie Land Saga had an amazing first couple of episodes that it was never going to be able to deliver on the promise of, and I found episodes 3 and 4 in particular to be pretty dire, as I slowly came to realize that I'd been tricked into watching an honest-to-god idol anime, but then the focus shifted to individual character episodes that surprised me yet again with yet another sudden change in tone and ended up being surprisingly touching, and I was back on board. The final few episodes returned to the idol show well, and that's just not a genre that I'm ever going to enjoy, but I still really liked the show overall.

6. Bloom Into You was a pleasant surprise. They finally made a Yuri anime that I like (I tried Citrus earlier this year, and the less said about that the better). It's just a slow, relatable story about kids trying to figure their shit out, although I feel like that's under-selling it. One of the leads has some pretty bad damage that she needs to sort out that I won't spoil, and the other is slowly coming to accept that she's ace and that that's okay but then slowly realizing that maybe she's not? And there are lots of other interesting characters on the sidelines, including one definitively ace kid. Special shout-out to the pair of adult ladies quietly giving an example a what a healthy adult gay relationship looks like without making a big deal about it.

5. Run with the Wind is obviously a provisional ranking since we're only half-way done, but this is one of the shows that I anticipate most every week and I can't wait for it to pick back up. Just a great ensemble cast of misfits in which no one is dead weight setting out to improve themselves and slowly coming to discover the appeal in working towards a shared goal with the support of your friends. Also occasionally very funny, and quietly very pretty to look at in a less obvious way than some other shows on this list.

4. Hinamatsuri came out of left field and then just kind of started living there. I never knew what to expect from week to week, but I knew that it would be good. A hilarious comedy about a reluctant Yakuza dad that wasn't afraid to spend an entire touching joke-free episode following a girl living in poverty and coming to find joy and love in her homeless adopted family. It was special and unique and gifted with pitch-perfect comic timing that you rarely see in anime and that I almost can't believe crosses cultural lines as well as it does (which is to say that I would expect comic timing to be unique in different cultures).

3. Irozuku: The World in Colours was beautiful in every sense of the word. It says something that Johnny noted how pretty it looked given that we were forced to watch it on a pirate site that wasn't hosting it in HD. (Amazon snapped up the rights and it's not available on Amazon Prime Canada.) I'm actually really bummed about that, as I would absolutely pay cash money right now to rewatch it at this fidelity. It's another slow, quiet show about an emotionally damaged magician girl who is sent back in time 60 years to discover the value in overcoming adversity and connecting with other people and to help a struggling artist discover his motivation. Some of the visual metphors for each of their problems that are brought to life by her magic are very arresting. This wasn't the show that I was most looking forward to watching every week, but it was the one that always seemed foremost in my thoughts after the fact that I'd find myself ruminating on. I respect it a lot for not pulling any punches with the ending, but I'm still feeling bruised from getting punched right in the feels. It's going to stick with me for a while.

2. Golden Kamui was the show that I most looked forward to watching every week, and that goes for both seasons that it aired this year. What an amazing and impossible show. It has several different obsessions and tones that shouldn't work together but just do, as it transitions from shocking violence to lovingly detailed food prep to hilarious humour to quiet educational moments about Ainu culture. It has a large and lovable cast of Asirpa and her 7 dads, most of whom are various shades of awful. It's at once the year's funniest show and the best action show. Much fuss has been made about how disappointing it looks and I just 100% do not see it. I think the show looks great, aside from a jarringly bad CG wolf that doesn't show up much and an almost-as-bad CG bear that unfortunately does, but by the end I'd even stopped noticing that. Whatever problems everyone else has with its visuals are invisible to me.

1. A Place Further than the Universe was locked in as my #1 for the year from the moment I saw it and nothing else comes even close. It's just... a joy from start to finish (and I say that despite the fact that I think I cried at the end of almost every episode from #3 onwards), as four girls grow and discover themselves and support each other in their journey, both literal and metaphorical. Funny and heartfelt and earnest and real, and with a 100% earned and amazing ending. So few shows end well, but this show's ending was arguably the best part. Also notable for being a show with an all-female cast of young girls that just nails the characterization and never once even so much as hints at any of the perils and pitfalls usually associated with portrayals of those characters in this medium. Oh, and did I mention that it looks and sounds amazing too? I'm not sure if this is my favourite show of the decade or not, in a decade that also had Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Kids on the Slope, but it's certainly in my top 5.

Now, with the boring rankings out of the way, onto the awards categories, because I don't know when to quit. I said this was going to be an effort-post and I meant it!

Best OP: Hanebado is getting the nod here, even though my heart says A Place Further the the Universe. Hanebado has a gorgeous and stylish and evocative OP that was paired with a show that I found to be very disappointing, and I'm not sure I'd have made it through to the end if I didn't have that OP to look forward to every week. Honourable mention also goes to Kokkoku, which might well have gotten the nod if you asked me on a different day and which was also paired with a show that I found to be ultimately disappointing.

Best ED: I actually had an even harder time choosing this one than OP, but I think I've got to give it to Golden Kamui season 2, which shows Asirpa's abandonment by her birth father and adoption of a surrogate father. Again, though, part of me really wants to give it to A Place Further the the Universe, but in this case I think it's because I'm inextricably associating that song with certain emotional beats. Notably, Kokkoku would have been a shoe-in for this category if it could keep it in its pants, but it ruins an otherwise amazing ED with some really arresting time-stopped visuals to remind you how fuckable the MC is and make sure you can't forget that this was drawn by the same artist as Kite.

Moment that made me laugh the hardest: Ulysses, no contest. This was already a show with British ninjas, but when the British army lit a giant flaming pentagram on the battlefield and then the camera panned up a nearby cliff to reveal the anime pretty-boy visage of King Henry I completely lost it. Shame that the rest of the show was dogshit.

Best Fight: RELEASE THE SPYCE was a pretty big disappointment, and all the more so because it suddenly had an incredibly bad-ass fight scene (forgive the spanish subs; it was all I could find) half-way through where one of the characters is brain-washed and chews through an entire building full of armed men (including rocket launchers!) using only her bare hands. The whole this is just breathlessly paced and well-choreographed with some rocking music. I was reminded more than anything of the Read Or Die OAV, and that's high praise coming from me.

"""Best""" Fight: Karakuri Circus had a fight with a giant stationary merry go round made of knives and everyone just kept launching themselves at it and dying.

Best first episode: Zombieland Saga is the obvious choice here, but Johnny already called that out, and Hinamatsuri absolutely had me from the word go with a really funny first episode.

Prettiest Show: Some stiff competition here, including yet another mention for A Place Further than the Universe, but I have to give it to Violet Evergarden, which is literally the prettiest show I've ever watched.

Best surprise: After the Rain had a premise that looked to be problematic with a capital P, as a wish-fulfillment fantasy romance between a teenage girl and a divorced man, but then turns out to actually handle those problems pretty deftly and instead be this touching story about two people learning to heal and rediscover the passions that drive them.

Most unfortunate title: I can't choose between Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny-Girl Senpai and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas. I'll be really bummed if folks never give them the time of day because of it, especially in the latter case, which is a very literal translation of the Japanese cultural sentiment that a person can live on in you if you eat their pancreas (and to a lesser extent that idea that a person can heal by consuming the body part that's ill from other animals). Honesty, the phrase is very important to the film and the perfect title, but it just doesn't translate well.

Biggest disappointment: Banana Fish is certainly in the running, as it had a really strong opening set of episodes, but I have to give the trophy to Between the Sky and Sea, a show that took the bonkers premise of space fishing and then made absolute trash with it.

Thing I learned this year: I just don't like gag manga. This season had several really good ones, including Cells at Work and Skull-face Book-seller Honda-san, and I just... can't be bothered.

Show I hated most: Gurazeni Money Pitch just... really made me angry more than I can ever justify. Like, there were lots of worse shows that I watched first episodes of this year, and more problematic shows (Goblin Slayer says hi in both cases), but Gurazeni was just shallow and awful and took what sounded on paper like an interesting premise and made it completely boring and terrible. It's essentially "professional baseball player obsesses over how much money his coworkers make." Man, fuck that guy.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
That said, I can't agree with the idea that it redeemed its handling of Maxine. Even in that final episode, the MC is dead-naming and mis-gendering her
??? I think you're confused here. I'm referring to Max - the blonde woman with the robot partner. Her whole backstory episode was really tastefully well done, as was how the show depicts her gay relationship with her partner. It was earnest and conscious enough that it convinced me the show, at the very least, doesn't mean ill and actively wants to have positive lgbtq depictions. It's just Japanese and has a long way to go to catch up.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Default I would follow Studio Bones to the ends of the earth

Mob Psycho 100 came back today

Easy shoe-in for anime of the season
Old 01-08-2019, 07:37 PM

Watched 3 new anime series first episodes (maybe two, in the case of one) and will return to none of them.

First was W'z. I kind of loved the experience of watching W'z. It's dumb and weird and I was never bored at least. I won't watch another, though. I don't expect returns to do anything other than diminish. But it had moments of enjoyable goofiness. The original trailer made me hope it was a show where there were DJ competitions with magical fights as metaphors for mad DJ skills. It's apparently a sequel to something called Handshakers. The colour layout is really bad. When girls aren't in profile, their noses are tiny dots that make it look like a pixel is off on your screen. And, not that I haven't seen this before, a girl's boobs bounce apropos of nothing. And weirdly. Even for anime. There was some other nonsense too but I can remember it all. But apparently humanity has discovered another dimension and it's mostly leaves, waves and fish.

The Rising of the Shield Hero was a less enjoyable kind of bad. Like, it was dumb, but in a way the REALLY rubbed me wrong. There's a nasty scent of toxic masculine nerdom in this one and this is probably not the era to center your isekai on the premise of a false rape accusation in a "matriarchal society" (the last statement is evident only in one character saying it one time with the world itself seeming like perfect evidence to the contrary). And while there are hints of this before it gets there, first there like a solid half hour of our hero being transported to another world, barely caring, a lantern being hung on every stupid decision in the story and seemingly like someone attempted to write a parody while extracting any evidence of humour, attempted or otherwise.

Then it's a some kind of RPG travelogue that takes for freaking ever before it drops it's other shoe, very clumsily. The whole thing... it's quite bad. I didn't even hate it this much as I was watching it (though I was giving it a hard pass in my head) but the more I thought about it... yuck.

Finally I watched Ekoda-Chan (I think that was the name). I don't think it's my speed but it certainly acted as a palate cleanser. It's based on a four koma that's essentially a woman ruminating on sex and love in modern society. It has a unique look and I feel like there aren't a lot of anime about sex from a woman's perspective (at least that I've seen. Mostly Ebichu, weirdly enough). So I'm glad that it exists. But it feels like in adapting it, it is far too breakneck for me. I also think this would be something I prefer to read than watch. So it's actually a show I think has merit but just isn't for me (also the video looked like it was 24 minutes long but most of that was a star/director interview This made me glad because it exhausted me by the end of minute 3)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:09 PM

W'z is a sequel to Hand Shakers. You know how there's kusoge? Hand Shakers is like, whatever the anime equivalent of that is. It was honestly masterful how bad that anime was. It's insane to me that GoHands is a successful company, or that people think their continually devolving art style is good looking. I watched a bit of the first episode of W'z to confirm that they're totally at it again. Some of the spinny action sequences aren't as discombobulating as Hand Shakers, but it's still not attractive. I'm honestly impressed this show is even getting made. This is just pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if GoHands is like a money laundering outfit of some kind.

Shield Hero is not nearly as entertaining as the mental gymnastics of bad anime nerds on the internet trying to justify the show as not misogynistic. It's just bad, people should forget this one and move on.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
First was W'z... There was some other nonsense too but I can remember it all.
The MC and his friend are eating at a restaurant and one of them begins gesticulating with her knife, at which point we noticed that the two of them are apparently supposed to eat their dinners with a single knife to share between them and no other utensils.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Oh, yeah. That was the best part of the show. And they clearly had food in front of them, too. Food that you don't eat with your hands and certainly food you don't eat with a SINGLE LARGE KNIFE!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

I would like to be hired as QC at this company. Sounds like it'd be a breeze!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

I dunno, I'd say The Promised Neverland's first episode was pretty promising. (Never watch anime trailers. They won't always tell you when a surprise hit is about to land.)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Modest Heroes: rather short for a theater presentation--the time was padded out with an interview with the producer to make it a little over an hour long--but quite interesting. It's been a while since I went to a "short film festival" kind of thing.

On the whole I thought the animation was more impressive than the plotting, which is okay*. This was a nice showcase of different styles, and worth a trip out to see as long as you don't mind that it doesn't last very long.

*I can't see a story about a guy who is literally invisible and lighter than air who gains substance by saving an infant in a runaway baby carriage without rolling my eyes a bit.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Cool Guy

I took a break from Hunter X Hunter after the Greed Island arc, and have jumped back in with the Chimera Ant storyline. It is a straight up horror show now! I mean goddamn! What if you took the voracious hunger and efficiency of insects, and combined it with the intelligence and individuality of humans? Bad times for everybody! Poor Bee Girl got shot in the face! Will Gon and Killua be okay? Will anybody!?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I took a break from Hunter X Hunter after the Greed Island arc, and have jumped back in with the Chimera Ant storyline. It is a straight up horror show now! I mean goddamn!
Yeah, Iím working my way through Chimera Ant too, and was showing someone the first ep of the series the other day, and the turns this show takes over its length are straight up bonkers.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Cool Guy

Two more episodes and we have horses impaled on trees and a centaur walking two tortured, naked men on leashes before stepping on their heads. Hunter X Hunter turned into Violence Jack so gradually I didnít even notice.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

My wife got Hulu so I shotgunned Megalo Box.

The final Episode was literally flawless boxing-movie perfection. A pair of dudes who need to punch the shit out of eachother not because they hate eachother, but because they love the very concept of punching, and love eachother by extension.

Fucking amazing Six stars 11/10 would watch again.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
A pair of dudes who need to punch the shit out of eachother not because they hate eachother, but because they love the very concept of punching, and love eachother by extension.
This describes, to a certain extent, a lot of sports anime/manga. Of course, some do it better than others. And Megalo Box does it VERY VERY well.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

I also loved how it followed the Rocky/Creed Tradition of having a final fight where it didn't actually MATTER who won or lost, and then had enough faith in it's viewers to be onboard with the general principal by not even SHOWING the moment at which one became a definitive victor.

Just freeze framing on the FINAL BLOW... and then suddenly it's later! Old trainer dude has a garden, and little ramshackle gym where he's following the (fucking important) Boxing tradition of using the sport as a way to give kids a positive environment! Nobody bears anyone any ill will. Everybody is happy and friendly, and has found a way to be at peace with where they ended up.

Shit is PERFECT is what I'm saying.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Yeah I loved it. The series has a lot of twists and turns throughout but the last episode doesn't... because it doesn't need it. From there on in, it's all punching and feels, even more than before.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 AM

OK, so I'm watching some youtube stuff and there's a ad for voting for "Crunchyroll anime awards". OK, I'm not interested, but fine, I'm sure the nerds'll like it. Let them have their fun. It says "Who will win anime of the year?" Don't know, don't care but I wish them well. "Best boy? Best girl?"

Huh? It's not that I think it's weird to vote for your favourite characters. That kind of nerdery is why I started them popularity contests. I'm looking forward to the best boss fight! But it's so weird to hear it be "boy and girl". Also, I was morbidly curious enough to check it out and most of it is all fine. It's very "MTV movie awards" type stuff, except somehow less grating. But the "boy/girl" categories are so weird. Not best male and female characters. It's just... I can't articulate how... inarticulate it sounds.

I will say this: It's also a little weird. On the plus side, "Lily from Zombieland Saga" for best girl. OK. But I assumed with the use of the terms "girl" and "boy" this was voting for "my waifu" and "my guroomo" (or whatever) but one of the best boys is the hyena who works with Aggretsuko who is... a hyena who is probably in his mid-30's? If you like him, cool, but this is very much a man.

On the plus side, BEAT will be happy to know a skeleton has been nominated for best boy.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Quote:
"Best boy? Best girl?"
My understanding is that the primoridal sludge that gave birth to crunchyroll was old-internet fansubbers and scanlators going "Legit" so that their unquenchable need to make the horniest of light novels readable in English might net them a paychecks instead of a cease-and-desist letters. As such it makes perfect sense that their version of the Oscars would focus less around what characters had the most compelling dramatic turns, and more around which characters are the most pure smol cinnamon buns.
Quote:
On the plus side, BEAT will be happy to know a skeleton has been nominated for best boy.
...Go on.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Not much to tell, it's this guy.

I feel like you've must have heard about Honda-san by now. Seems like something tyrants would refuse to let you be ignorant about.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:46 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Everybody on twitter keeps swearing I'd love that show, and I keep responding that.
  • No I won't.
  • I don't want "relatable feels" I want impossible violence.
  • Fuck slice of life bullshit.
  • What's so fucking hard about this?
  • Who the fuck even are all you people?
If you want me to watch a show that exists to go "Hey remember working in a mall? That sure was a thing you did!" You're gonna have to do a whole lot more than put a skeleton in the lead role.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 AM

You did ask me to go on. I've done nothing more than what you ask and give you evidence of increased skeleton-representation in anime.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:32 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

YEAH I KNOW I'M NOT MAD OR NOTHIN, JUST EXPLAINING MY RELATIONSHIP TO THE CONTENT.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Cool Guy

Quote:
My wife got Hulu so I shotgunned Megalo Box.

The final Episode was literally flawless boxing-movie perfection. A pair of dudes who need to punch the shit out of eachother not because they hate eachother, but because they love the very concept of punching, and love eachother by extension.

Fucking amazing Six stars 11/10 would watch again.
Out of all itís accomplishments, my favorite thing about the cybernetic boxing show Megalo Box is that the two fighters in the final bout donít have cybernetics. The main rival even goes through an agonizing surgery and rushed recovery to remove his implants and torpedoes his place as face of the sport so he can fight Joe on equal terms.

It is a good sports cartoon.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Based on the title, I always assumed that Megalo Box was, like, a merch driven Loot Crate shonen anime aimed at kids. Like Beyblade or Yugioh.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM

No, it's about a ridiculously dangerous kind of boxing with hydraulic punches and one guy who plays and says "I'm so awesome, I'll stick with regular type punches." No one questions the ethics of popularizing a sport where people strap stuff that turns your fans into jack hammers and are told to turn someone's face to pudding. So Its slightly more problematic than regular boxing. By a hair.

And it's amazing.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
My understanding is that the primoridal sludge that gave birth to crunchyroll was old-internet fansubbers and scanlators going "Legit" so that their unquenchable need to make the horniest of light novels readable in English might net them a paychecks instead of a cease-and-desist letters. As such it makes perfect sense that their version of the Oscars would focus less around what characters had the most compelling dramatic turns, and more around which characters are the most pure smol cinnamon buns.
This is very much the case. I distinctly remember a period where pretty much all the older folks in the scene were completely befuddled by the idea of Crunchyroll ever being taken seriously as a business, but then... it just kind of happened. Fake it 'til you make it I guess. They must've had at least one person who was seriously good at schmoozing Japanese content representatives and it all fell into place from there.

But yeah, it's a bunch of fanboys, and I'm sure the categories are just mirroring the ones from the regular popularity contests in JP fan mags, in which the best boy/girl thing is usually the most hotly contested thing going and people watch their waifus/hazubandos (there you go Johnny, and I'm not proud that I know that) rise or fall in the rankings.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
smol cinnamon buns.
I decided to look this up. Turns out 78 percent of these are Tom Holland.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:38 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
??? I think you're confused here. I'm referring to Max - the blonde woman with the robot partner. Her whole backstory episode was really tastefully well done, as was how the show depicts her gay relationship with her partner. It was earnest and conscious enough that it convinced me the show, at the very least, doesn't mean ill and actively wants to have positive lgbtq depictions. It's just Japanese and has a long way to go to catch up.
Are you talking about the episode where she felt persecuted because she went to prom with a trans girl, who subsequently disappeared and look how persecuted MAXINE is, prom is evil?

Because using a trans girl as a prop for someone else's pain is not actually a better look than aggressive series-long transphobia and misgendering.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road