The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 PM
I had the weirdest dream

I love this show. It was the best cosmic adventure to come along in a very long time and I'm gonna miss it. It touches on some of my most important interests in big and small ways and kept upping the ante right until the end.
If this show came out when I was a teenager it would have shaped me for possibly the rest of my days. A person gets maybe three of those in their lifetime!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:42 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I liked it.

I hated how many of the fight scenes were OHHHH THE ROBOT MANAGED TO *BARELY DODGE* instead of just BOOM RAN RIGHT THROUGH BUT ALL THE PILOTS ARE AMPED UP ENOUGH TO JUST KEEP GOING WE'LL FIX IT WHEN WE'RE DONE.

Loved how they went FULL GURREN LAGANN at the end by Smashing the little robot into the big robot IT JUST FUCKING WORKS.

Wasn't wild about the downer ending where princess Allura has to die because *reasons*. The final shot of Shiro getting (re?)married to... someone? Was I supposed to recognize that dude? Anyways it was good.

On the whole, show gets a solid B for me.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:56 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Remember that time Shiro got married to a silent nameless rando we'd never seen before

I'm actually kind of annoyed about this! My dirtbag Sheith shipping tendencies aside, by limiting the queer relationship to a wordless five second epilogue, I feel like it gets sort of partitioned off into irrelevance. Yeah, it's brave to end your cartoon series on a gay kiss, I guess, but it's also just one notch above The Legend of Korra's slightly ambiguous ending, and that was four years ago. And that relationship was between two major characters that we got to see develop (albeit subtly) over the course of the series. Not, again, between a main character and a blank cipher. Lance and Allura got plenty of focus on their relationship without it dragging the plot down; why couldn't Shiro and John Doe get the same treatment? He's spending all his time on the Atlas this season and surely has met some new people there; maybe Husband Who is an Atlas crew member and we get to see their connection blossom to the point where the wedding is a culmination of an arc rather than a complete non-sequitur. This feels like the writers had worked up just enough nerve to shout "GAY WEDDING!!!" one second before slamming the door on the series. Which, I mean, it's better than nothing. But I'm also getting tired of sighing and saying "well, it's better than nothing" when it comes to queer representation.

anyway I guess some other stuff happened this season
Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Just finished it; I think most of what I wanted to say has been said. Kinda super bummed that this show just lets all of its queer ships die on the vine though. Zethrid and Ezor show up and then disappear. Veronica starts to tell Acxa about how she wants to get to know her and then Acxa's entire character arc abruptly halts. Shiro gets married to some rando we've never seen before after Shiro and Keith become the most popular ship of the year? What the hell?

The one fucking amazing payoff: When Pidge is in the Garrison at the end building Chip (ha), you can see multiple Vehicle Volton vehicles in the scene, further supported by her epilogue text.

Overall I still really liked it even though I was worried that this season would feel tacked on after the way the last one ended.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Oh, and the first half of this season is like going to the band farewell tour concert. Everyone is here. It's just a nonstop boss rush cavalcade of every single character and location to ever appear in the series, and I didn't recognize basically anyone because it's been so long.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:36 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Yeah, this felt like Netflix wanted this done, and so had the creators cram in a couple season's worth of content into one. Basically it felt like the stuff that happened at the white hole would've been the end of the season, with the Hunt for Not-Haggar-But-Still-Evul being the final season. Also, fucking lel at fridging Alluria. Great job guys.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Netflix meddles way too much with their original properties instead of just letting the creators do their thing.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:14 PM
I had the weirdest dream

RE: Shiro

There could be some measure of "we don't sell gay toys" coming down from the toy company or the network, but the degree of gutless obliqueness about queer characters in this series seems easily explained as hamfisted attempts by a straight writing staff to be inclusive without ever actually consulting a queer person.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:19 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

IIRC from reading an article, itís the former. Their inability to be more explicit with damn near every relationship is why thereís so much vague subtext.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yep. Netflix was fucking with the series from day one, and I am not terribly surprised.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Mystery Contraption

Also, I have no idea how Shiro can compete in an arm-wrestling tournament.

It... is bothersome.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:43 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Also, I have no idea how Shiro can compete in an arm-wrestling tournament.

It... is bothersome.

Unless you mean that Shiro's robot arm should offer him no leverage due to its stupid design, in which case yes.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, the lack of an elbow is what was puzzling me.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:23 AM
I had the weirdest dream

Let's talk about Zarkon and Honerva again for a minute

It's interesting to see how Zarkon and Honerva's arc played out in the end. They each went mad with power and wound up conquering and destroying the universe because they couldn't accept death and couldn't live without each other.
Honerva's quest to find the one universe where everything is fine and nothing is ruined really resonates with me. On some level she knows she and Zarkon have spent the last 10,000 years in a world that went horribly wrong because of their failures, where everything got away from them and nothing is like it's supposed to be. Her methods are monstrous and she doesn't even care because she's so miserable.
I kind of like how the Paladins meet Zarkon again, after they've freed all his old friends from Haggar's spell. The implication seems to be that it's not just a figment of Honerva's memories, it's really him, and now that he's dead he's regained his sanity.

The moral of the story is uh, a little bittersweet for me. So you've ruined and destroyed all universes everywhere because you were trapped in an endless spiral of undying misery? Never fear, the answer is right under your nose: die!

It's a cold comfort to imagine that no one's gone forever and things can be right again no matter what you've done, but the only way to have that and get your existence back on track is to accept that your life should have ended ages ago.
Yeah yeah, death is the only fitting punishment and the only possible release after eons of evil deeds, but what about Allura? She too has to die to set right what once went wrong, but I don't know that she should have. None of this stuff was her fault and she was well on her way to enjoying life on her own terms. Now she has to sit around with her dad while she waits for everyone she knows and loves to drop dead in their own time before she can ever see them again.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:52 PM
Senhor Member

I finished this and lmao the final title card is frankly absurd. I do think that something is worse than nothing. I wish they hadnít included 5 minutes of gay content for Shiro because I wouldnít have watched this random childrenís show. I was told there was a gay main character. There was not.

I binged most of this series in about a week a few months ago so this season was kind of disorienting. I love a Noble Sacrifice but Alluraís didnít seem set up all that well. It seemed like her crazy scheme worked because itís the final episode and it needed to.

Nonetheless, the music accompanying and creating Dramatic Nonsense worked to fill in a lot of gaps here. Overall, I would rank this experience as ďfine, I guess. a little disappointing but really itís my own fault for reading about this show on twitter or something.Ē
Old 12-30-2018, 02:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

I was hoping that binging the whole series would have made the final season hold together better, because man, that felt disjointed and also really reliant on the viewer remembering minutia from, like, four seasons earlier.

On the plus side, Super Voltron looked like a combination of the Tallgeese and Escaflowne, and those are two of my favorite Giant Mecha designs. So I did appreciate that.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:25 AM
concentrate

Yeah, the last season was a letdown. Lots of hard to follow callbacks to stuff from several seasons ago, Honerva's whole thing was a mess, and everything about Shiro and Allura people have been talking about. Still a good show, but it could have been so much better with relatively little effort.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:14 PM
oh my car

Just finished this. Last season felt like a lot of following through without a whole lot of setting up. An increasing number of dramatic situations occurring arbitrarily and resolving just as arbitrarily. Seasons 7 and 8 probably needed to be seasons 7 through 10 in order to give it the pace it needed for all those twists.

But hey, they seemed to stay true to the characters, which I guess is the important part.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 AM
World of Darkness Returns

It felt like the previous season was less setting this up and more setting up for a sequel series, so when we end up back in space against Honerva it just felt really rushed.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Cool Guy

Iíve got two episodes left and itís rough going. What did the writers do to Lance!? Why is Shiro even in the show anymore with how little he gets to say or do!? Why does Honervaís dumb plan threaten all reality when weíve already been to an alternate universe way back in the Sven episode!?

Voltron: Legendary Defender started real strong, then major red flags showed up in season 3 with Shiro coming back five episodes later and the musical chairs routine of the team structure for the next two seasons. Then two of the three main villains got killed halfway though the series and things got worse. Itís Legend of Korra all over again.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I think a lot of the show's structural problems start with Netflix management meddling; it's why Shiro came back, for instance, and the odd "season" structure happened. Beyond that, when you obviously compress multiple storylines and character arcs into a small fraction of the timespan needed, yeah, you're gonna have problems.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM
gatchapon 3*

i haven't started season 8 yet, but season 7 is the best backdoor pilot to a relaunched robotech/macross show as i've ever seen. I fucking love it so much. I love this whole damn show.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Cool Guy

That was a damn modern day Final Fantasy ending. They had two 13 episode seasons to wrap things up! What a mess.

You know, I kept thinking the dark entities that were ultimately the cause of all the bad stuff that happened in the flashback episode would be the final threat, only for them to merely be used by Allura to track Honerva and then play no part in the final few episodes. Also, you trap Lotor in the space between reality where the entities live for years, and then just reveal him to be dead in a split second cutaway? He was the only good villain the show had! Who the hell was piloting his mech when Honerva told it stop fighting the Palidins?

Then Allura died. Great job, everybody.

Okay, Iím done.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:08 AM

I said I'd watch Voltron after hearing about Shiro, since I was really impressed with the idea of making the main and arguably the show's most popular character gay. I've been wanting that piece of media for such a long time.

But I was really disappointed with it all in the end. They were trying to kill him off since the second season, and his half-baked betrayal was tepid and predictable. The stories themselves were fine, if a bit bland (and from what I understand, even loyal to the original at times). While I remind myself that the show isn't necessarily for me and that I shouldn't get too down on the writing, writing good lgtbq characters is very important to me because our media portrayals aren't very diverse.

Indeed, the final two seasons I honestly don't know what the point of Shiro was anymore. They outed him when his stakes were so utterly low and ultimately no longer served a purpose on the show. Particularly wild for the series show creators to say "they knew Shiro was gay all along" when the definitive arc of Shiro-not-Shiro lasted multiple seasons -- there we all kinds of very interesting storylines they could have written about but chose not to do.

This one hurt more than the rest though. Queers in mainstream media and publications don't get validated enough. I know that it's just clumsy writing and inappropriate executive pressure that made Shiro's gayness nothing more than a spectacle to hype the show. Yet, it's not out of the realm of reason that an impressionable fourteen year old struggling with their own queerness watches and walks away with an impression of how wrong it was for Shiro to be the leader of Voltron and how it never really should have been the case.

Tags
and i'll form the head , i'm a leg! , mustache , netflix , space hospital , volt ron paul , voltron