The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 PM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I can say from visiting my niece and nephew that shows like Paw Patrol sell lots of toys.

I wonder if maybe the reason Steven Universe doesn’t have much merchandise for kids is that it’s not very popular with the youngsters? It gets pretty heavy sometimes, and there’s not a lot of adventuring or monster fighting after the first season.
Even setting aside SU's massive adult fanbase, Paw Patrol is aimed at a much younger audience than SU is. I once read an interview with a toy designer about how quickly toys have to be renewed, because there's a huge difference in self-perception between a five year old and an eight year old. You don't want a kid to think "this looks like my babysitter's toy" even though their babysitter might be less than a decade older than them. I think the general trend right now is that the window for selling kids things that are distinctly toys and not electronics or collectibles has shrunk significantly on the upper end.

*kid who isn't Elijah Wood in BTTF Pt II voice* that's like a baby's toy
Old 09-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

John DiMaggio is all of us.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:04 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

(SPOILERY IMAGE) New episodes coming weekly starting December 17
Old 12-24-2018, 12:29 AM
Bob

oh hayyyyyyy new episode tomorrow
Old 12-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Medusa View Post
oh hayyyyyyy new episode tomorrow
There was one last week too, athough I feel like I had seen the last few minutes already. The part where white diamond talks to Steven like he’s a disobedient child going through a phase and then sends him to his room..
Old 12-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

That episode was leaked months ago so everyone had seen it. This is the first "new" new episode in a while
Old 12-24-2018, 09:49 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

So Pink was so alone in her own room she brought pebbles to life to be her friends. I wonder if any of the other Diamonds even know about them.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:23 PM
Bob

Pebbles!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Discordia

Steven went home on Christmas Eve and got misgendered repeatedly. I feel you, Steven.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:59 AM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Pen Ward was a storyboarder on "Familiar." You can tell from the design of the Pebbles.

Thoughts on the episode follow.

Steven is thinking his childhood was a practice run for what he's about to attempt: an aloof and unchallenged leader, together with a punctilious one and a sentimental one, being made to realize that the strange pink life form they're now responsible for is not what they assumed and not a replacement for his beloved and missing predecessor. He himself has already grown enough to for the Crystal Gems to acknowledge him as an equal, and his assumption is that this growth will be sufficient for him to get similar recognition from the Diamonds.

And it ain't gonna work like that, because White Diamond isn't Garnet, Blue Diamond isn't Amethyst, Yellow Diamond isn't Pearl, and the Diamond Authority is the enemy of the ideals of the Crystal Gems. Steven isn't the successor to Pink Diamond, but the successor to Rose Quartz, whom the other Diamonds knew as Pink's assassin.

The whole conflict of the series isn't gonna get resolved with one song's worth of epiphanies. A show as queer as this isn't gonna turn out to be about the redemptive power of family ties. All of this softening of the Diamonds is necessary to show us why Steven thinks what he's about to do is gonna work. What he's about to do is, effectively, ask "What if Pink Diamond just did with her family what I did with mine?" - which is a failure of empathy, taking it for granted that his experiences are applicable to others' without examining the effect of his own privilege. And it's gonna backfire on him, sure as Goku has to get beaten up before he can win.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:26 AM
Discordia

Every time the Diamonds appear, I'm utterly fascinated. The subtle work that goes into their scenes impresses the hell out of me. Check out the background details in any of their scenes and you'll see meticulous design, framing, and depth of field so you never forget how big the Diamonds are and how small everyone else is by comparison. And then listen to their voices. I'm not sure if it's compression or reverb or just the actors getting really close up on the mic or what, but the Diamonds' voices sound not just huge but also intimately close, like they're speaking directly into your ear. The effect is that you're overwhelmed by the size of their personalities as well. And it's very distinct from what you'd typically hear from a god-like figure in a movie or TV show, with a deep, rumbly, commanding voice. Blue Diamond in particular is very delicate, but her delicateness is the size of Godzilla, and just as powerful.

On the list of things that are marvelous about SU's animation/production, this rates pretty high in my book. (Off the top of my head, such a list might look like #1: Expressions conveying complex emotions, #2: Those backgrounds tho, #3: The design of homeworld and other gem environments, #4: The Diamonds, etc.)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Just caught up on the newest episode, agree with much of Bongo's theorizing and very much with Violet just above. I've particularly noticed that in Blue's voice work, it's just so striking and unusual. Also the whole effect is helped by the otherworldly sound/music design A&S put together for the Diamonds, which we used to just get little snippets of and now hear all the time, but it's still just as unsettling.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:11 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Thoughts behind the pop.
That episode feels important because it’s the first time Steven has identified with his mother as an equal, rather than the myth he had in his head that’s been shattered as the series goes on.

His plan won’t work because there’s far too much he has to convince the Diamonds of:

- The corrupted Gems should be healed
- The off-color Gems deserve to live
- Organic life deserves to exist

The first one should seem obvious, since most of the corrupted Gems are loyal to the Diamonds, but he’s going to have to move heaven and earth to get White to acknowledge even that. The other two are impossible at this point.

Also the plan won’t work because the titles of upcoming episodes don’t inspire confidence.

I imagine redemption will come eventually, since that’s kind of this show’s thing, but it’s going to take another season, at least.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Family Man

It is disconcerting to see Steven playing along with his fascist relatives. I know that trying to change their ways through talking and understanding could potentially prevent many more lives being lost, and Earth being invaded once again. However, the Diamonds are space Nazis, who have taken over thousands of planets and wiped out possibly billions of lives without a thought. Maybe Blue would eventually come around Steven’s way of thinking, but I can’t see Yellow or White admitting they were wrong and finding another way to create more gems.

My main question: how many episodes before all of this is immediately shoved into the background and we get another bunch of Beach City slice of life stories?
Old 12-31-2018, 01:57 PM
oh my car

Homeworld seems set up as what Václav Havel called a "post-totalitarian system," in which everybody, from a greengrocer up to a prime minister - or, as the case may be, from a Nephrite up to a Diamond - is both enslaved and complicit (though not to equal degrees, of course). Such a system is a self-sustaining and self-directing automatism, operating to no individual's or group's benefit, in which everyone is expendable regardless of rank.

Naturally, a show about empathy must create a scenario in which the viewpoints of the antagonists can be expressed and elaborated on, and a show concerned with the consequences of life under oppressive systems has good reason to include the lives even of those who uphold it.

The way they seem to be setting things up is that even Yellow Diamond and Blue Diamond aren't free under the Diamond Authority. That's a nuanced point to be making, and I fully expect that the writing won't turn around and absolve them of responsibility for their atrocities. It's handled subtleties well before, after all.

But exactly how it'll shake out, I think, all hinges on how they end up portraying the inscrutable White Diamond. Is she the personification of the system, or merely its cruelest slave?

Anyway, Beach Citizen episodes always foreshadow the metaphors that the magic adventure episodes will soon be dealing with, and we haven't seen anything about how Kofi or Fryman exercise authority within their families and/or family businesses, which is obviously relevant to the situation on Homeworld, as you can clearly tell from my bulletin board covered with a chaotic jumble of screenshots and string. So we'll be back on earth before too long.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:31 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

STEVEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING

CONNIE WHY WOULD YOU
Old 01-01-2019, 04:43 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

So if I'm looking at the schedule right, there's another episode next week, then a week off, then a massive four-parter on the 21st?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Discordia

I guess I feel better about my own life considering that Pink Diamond took 5000 years to come out to her family and then they put her and all her queer friends in jail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Just caught up on the newest episode, agree with much of Bongo's theorizing and very much with Violet just above. I've particularly noticed that in Blue's voice work, it's just so striking and unusual. Also the whole effect is helped by the otherworldly sound/music design A&S put together for the Diamonds, which we used to just get little snippets of and now hear all the time, but it's still just as unsettling.
That eerie sting for the Diamonds never stops sending chills down my spine.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:52 PM
earthquake ace

I flew a plane yesterday, and it had a small collection of SU episodes as part of the free entertainment. I took a look and

"Hey what's this 'Steven Universe' show"
"I dunno, just pick episodes at random. It's a kids' show, they don't do continuity, right?"
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Finally caught up over the weekend. A great couple of episodes and I'm looking forward to what happens next. Hey, Pen Ward storyboarded one of them!

As for best moment in the last two eps The Gems a little confused that some randos/rando decided to take part in their big moment. Good on 'em.

Question: What is the significance, do you think, of Yellow having a schvitz? Character wise, we are seeing coloration with bodily fluids and who these characters are. Blue and Pink both had special tears and Steven has special spit (which works because he's a kid who loves food and loves to love so of course he has healing smooches. But Yellow, as far as we've seen, is the most work/responsibility-minded so sweat makes a lot of sense. But what does it do. We see the sweat getting collected at the end of her scene with Steven, so I'm guessing it also has crazy properties too? Maybe if she's all about work, it's a power source or fuel of some kind.

Man, I thought Pearls had it tough. At least their existence isn't being the walls.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 AM
earthquake ace

New episode!

Weird place for a Watermelon Steven vignette, but sure.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Family Man

That was not the episode I was wanting to see last night. A common occurrence for Steven Universe!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:55 PM
oh my car

Breather episodes that immediately precede climactic events, such as "Escapism," are hard to deal with even with shows that don't have a history of gratuitous scheduling fuckery. But I dug it. Powerful foreshadowing whose symbolism doesn't quite align with the current situation.

Just about lost it at the gag where a watermelon bird struggles to take off from a branch, and then in the background of the next shot there are a bunch of watermelon slices on the ground.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

The preview promo for the 1 hour (!) special on the 21st confirms one suspected theory: Diamond-ship Voltron!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Family Man

Things have barely gotten started on Homeworld, making a palette cleanser episode like “Escapism” way too premature. If Diamond Days was a real story arc that lasted most or all of a season, then a silly side adventure like this would have been welcome.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:49 PM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
That was not the episode I was wanting to see last night. A common occurrence for Steven Universe!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 PM
till the sheriff stops by

I liked it a lot. It actually reminded me of an Adventure Time episode in a lot of ways (though it's basically a lot like the opening to Super Watermelon Island extended, which I'm down with), with a lot more focus on religion and having a mythic tone despite also being pretty silly. Also, super down with a Steven/Bismuth team up but considering, with the exception of small moments and the Uncle Grandpa ep, the show sticks almost exclusively to Steven's POV, meaning we might not get details until later in flashback.

I'm kind of wondering if poor Lars FINALLY gets home only to have to ferry some folks back to homeworld.

EDIT (unrelated): #1 on this Cracked list points out that the characters musical motifs combine and alter when they fuse so when Pearl and Amethyst become Opal, Pearl's normally structured piano motif gets more erratic and Amethyst's wild drum beats become more structured. Fun!

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 01-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

The Watermelon Island music is hella Katamari. I love it.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:01 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Naaaa na na na na na na na na Watermelon Damacy
Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Discordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
The Watermelon Island music is hella Katamari. I love it.
Yeah, it's hard for me to complain when that music is playing. Also I'm sure the stuff with Steven accidentally creating watermelon religions and then reconciling them is significant somehow. Watermelon The Life Of Brian.

There are a number of early episodes that became more plot relevant as the series went on but Watermelon Steven has to take the cake. Like, the one where Steven time travels and breaks causality turned out to just be a goofy one-off but the watermelons? Those are gonna be important later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
EDIT (unrelated): #1 on this Cracked list points out that the characters musical motifs combine and alter when they fuse so when Pearl and Amethyst become Opal, Pearl's normally structured piano motif gets more erratic and Amethyst's wild drum beats become more structured. Fun!
This is still my favorite thing in SU's soundtrack, though it's kind of become more subtle than it was in season one. I mainly notice synth bass whenever Garnet has a big scene.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe