The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I found the first Ant Man to be enjoyable, but not on the level of most of the others. And the Wasp, however, was in the upper half of MCU films, though a large part of that was having much more Luis by volume.
Idea for the third movie - Ant-Man and the Wasp and Luis.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:28 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

On Spider Verse, it was amazing, and, as others have mentioned, the only thing that bothered me was the forced color bleed, fake 3D effect thing, as in it did physically bother and tire my eyes, ugh. Other than that, though visually it was The Best, and it felt very much indeed like a comic book come to life.
See this twitter thread for a detailed analysis of one particular shot (Bagel!!)

Another thing that bothered me, but this is apparently common to all superhero films nowadays, is that the final battle scene was outright excessive and "overepic" with Kingpin suddenly having superpower levels of superstrength, capable of creating a freaking glass breaking shockwave with his fists (isn't he supposed to be just a really strong mass of muscles, but still, you know, human), and with the excuse of the interdimensional hole opening too much they had whatever element they wanted on screen in whatever orientation they wanted for the battle... but with no consequences whatsoever once the hole is closed? Too cheap.

What else... Prowler: I also didn't know the character and was wondering what was The Spawn doing in this movie? Also the scene where he appears and they say his name they say it very fast and didn't get it, so for a while he was just The Spawn knock-off to me. XD
Gotta say I loved the sound FX any time he was on screen, very effectively making him look like a really serious threat, doubly so when his identity is revealed... aaand then he dies like a chump taking a single bullet in the chest. You'd think that while he made himself this super costume he would have armored at least the chest part.... ¬¬
See Büge's link, the suit is indeed bullet-proof in there

----

And on the Ant Man front, I dunno why, but with all the comic book physics going on in all of these movies, AM ones are the ones that really break my suspension of disbelief and really irk me. Even the most elementary physics are so completely disregarded it's almost offensive: hello? he's supposed to maintain all his mass when changing size (it's what allows him to have super strength and super momentum when reduced, explicitly stated in the movie) and yet he's conveniently light when small and conveniently heavy and still super strong instead of "blown away by a light breeze" super weak when he's big? Ugh. The Pym particle works by varying the distance in the vacuum between molecules and atom particles (also explicitly said in the movie) and somehow it allows to go smaller than an atom, when there would literally be no empty space left, by definition? And the thing that outright offended me in the sequel: Ant Dad and Wasp Mom taking their masks off and breathing normally at freaking quantum level! When they're literally smaller than a single atom of oxygen! I shouted an "Oh come on!" when that happened on screen. XD Luckily we were at home and not at a cinema. XD
Other than that I do enjoy them, though, they're funny, and very creative with the variable size things and characters gags and action.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:41 PM
King Of Space-Time

Smile

Finally saw Spiderverse. Truly an excellent film. And that post credit scene...
/Chefkiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
doubly so when his identity is revealed... aaand then he dies like a chump taking a single bullet in the chest. You'd think that while he made himself this super costume he would have armored at least the chest part.... ¬¬
See Büge's link, the suit is indeed bullet-proof in there
Except, he was shot in the back. Common error to armor the front and forget the rear.

Last edited by Daikaiju; 01-06-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
At least this time he's a POC?
Nonono, I mean, Trinity Syndrome doesn't apply in Spider-Verse, because we do see Miles struggle with his powers and learning to use them. He's not declared "special" by an external destiny, but by internal growth.

(And, arguably, the more experienced Spider-pals are probably still much more skilled and capable, but they simply had to leave the universe for the aforementioned reasons.)

Quote:
I found the first Ant Man to be enjoyable, but not on the level of most of the others. And the Wasp, however, was in the upper half of MCU films, though a large part of that was having much more Luis by volume.
Honestly? I kinda hope Luis was Snapped and I'm looking forward to Scott bringing the AM&W humor to Endgame, if only because Luis is the most infuriating, frustrating, and annoying stereotype of chicanos and I hate that the sole Latinx representation in the entire MCU is a damn hyper-stereotype, up to and including "Latinxs are criminals".
Old 01-07-2019, 06:06 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

There's several notable latinx characters in the TV shows.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
There's several notable latinx characters in the TV shows.
Hmm.

FWIW? I love Comics!Robbie. He's a great character with a lot of potential even if he was cut off right when his origin story ended. But he's still problematic as hell in that he, again, is a product of the chicano "car culture" stereotype combined with cartels combined with gangbangers. A Jaime Reyes, or a Kamala Khan, he ain't. A perpetuation of an American stereotype of Latinx, he is.

I don't know Yo-Yo, or whether she's an Agents original or not, so I can't judge either way.

The two animated ones don't count, especially as Marvel Rising hasn't been any more than a single TV special so far.

So, unless the Netflix shows had any positive, non-stereotypical, "regular people" Latinx in them (I know Daredevil S1 didn't), and given Agents' much smaller audience compared to the films, it still leaves Luis and his extended family (apparently equally criminal, judging by the first Ant-Man's "I heard from X" sequence) as the main form of Latinx representation to the mainstream Marvel audience. And it chafes.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Senhor Member

The TV shows don’t count! They’re produced separately, more obscure, kind of atomized, and of much more variable quality. Anyway. Molly is in Runaways and I just started watching season 2 and it feels horrible to say but I remember thinking the acting was weak. (please do not find this random message board, acting child) I have high hopes that’s improved. Also, that show has a queer couple nonetheless there are still 6000 MCU movies and there should be unambiguously queer people in them.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Born in the USA

When you say "the entire MCU", the TV shows are included. If you want to say "Marvel movies have terrible latinx representation" I'll agree with you.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:58 AM
World of Darkness Returns

(Comics) America Chavez is a treasure. My hope is to eventually have some kind of a Young Avengers / West Coast Avengers movie with her and Kate Bishop (the girl Hawkeye).
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Does anbybody apart from fans even watch Agents of SHIELD these days? If the current topic is representation, it's kind of a stretch to include it into the larger Marvel film franchise, considering the audience disparity. The entire concept is based around The Zeppo, both in-universe and franchise, erm, wise.

Anyway, I disagree with Zef. I can see why it should matter to Mexican-Americans but most Mexicans who've seen the movie loved the character, in the same way people loved Super Mario Odyssey having a mariachi hat.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 AM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
(Comics) America Chavez is a treasure. My hope is to eventually have some kind of a Young Avengers / West Coast Avengers movie with her and Kate Bishop (the girl Hawkeye).
Did you see the Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors animated movie that she was a big part of? Granted, it was for the lil 'uns, but my lil 'un enjoyed it.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 AM
Born in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
Does anbybody apart from fans even watch Agents of SHIELD these days?
Isn't this true of any TV show
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Pronouns: he

I think they mean that it's not part of the cultural zeitgeist like the movies are! I'm guessing, anyway!

My contribution: I watched Spider-Man Homecoming recently and really enjoyed it! Thanks for reading my review.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I watched Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse and it was good. It felt a bit better than most Lord & Miller movies, which are all good even though I don't love them as much as most people. I'll probably watch it again at some point.

In the last month or two I also watched The Avengers (I have seen it too many times, but it's still good), Iron Man 3 (decent movie, but still the best end credits ever), The Dark World (the opening is way more LOTR than I remembered, and the stuff on earth drags everything down), and The Winter Soldier (man is this movie ever great!).

The Winter Soldier is my favorite movie in the series for a whole variety of reasons. It's such a good action movie, and it does such a good job of working in stuff from the MCU and adding to the MCU, and it's such a great sequel to The First Avenger and to The Avengers, and it also stands alone as a great movie. In this viewing I appreciated how much fun it is to watch Cap run through doors and windows without opening them first, which he does a lot. I'm already looking forward to watching this again.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think they mean that it's not part of the cultural zeitgeist like the movies are! I'm guessing, anyway!
Well, yeah.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Does the Collector count?

I mean, the character is a space alien, and therefor not technically Latino, but he is Benicio Del Toro.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:50 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
to The First Avenger and to The Avengers, and it also stands alone as a great movie. In this viewing I appreciated how much fun it is to watch Cap run through doors without opening them first
I mean seriously - did they not have doors in the 40s in the MCU!?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:03 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Does the Collector count?

I mean, the character is a space alien, and therefor not technically Latino, but he is Benicio Del Toro.
But is Benicio Del Toro Latino or is he a space alien?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Pretty sure he was born to play space aliens, which muddies the waters.

On a more serious note, Zoe Saldaña is right there.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:50 AM
Born in the USA

Marvel's casting diversity is better than their role diversity.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Venom was a buddy-cop action comedy where the two buddy cops were the same guy and also, out of the entire cast and crew, only that one guy realized the movie was a buddy cop action comedy.

Full Stars!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I finally saw Spiderverse! It was fuckin' excellent, like pretty much everyone everywhere already said.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:58 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I also Finally saw Spiderverse Yesterday!

Holy SHIT what a movie.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:28 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Getting Nick Cage to play DARK SPIDER MAN is the most brilliant stunt casting anyone has ever stunt casted.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Getting Nick Cage to play DARK SPIDER MAN is the most brilliant stunt casting anyone has ever stunt casted.
Dunno, I'd say it's a tie with him voicing Superman in Teen Titans Go To The Movies, the other awesome animated superhero movie of 2018. Coincidence?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:28 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I hope you're ready for more Spider-Man!

Actually, this one looks great.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

You forgot to pack your international trailer.

It has a couple of different scenes.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 AM
whatever it takes

I AM READY FOR MORE SPIDER-MAN
Old 01-15-2019, 07:50 AM
Space Prez

Not into the red and black suit :/
Looks good otherwise.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:51 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Didn't that guy get dusted at the end of Avengers? (I only mostly kid. Who can honestly keep up with all of these films anymore.)

Tags
attack on mad titan , bagel!!! , brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , schindler's snap , stan lee cameo