The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-03-2019, 03:00 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Bob Einstein passed away.

You probably know him either for his incredibly dumb (in a good way) Super Dave Osborne bit, or for his incredibly filthy jokes.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Wow, this is an old thread. I was just skimming the previous page and this stood out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
I love Sarah Silverman (no idea what the general consensus on her is), but whenever she's seriously talking about something, I always kind of expect her to end up mocking herself or her position. The perils of playing a loose mockery of yourself.
...because I just got sat down by a friend to watch Hannah Gadsby's show Nanette, and in it she addresses this very problem of combining comedy and activism.

Also it's a fantastic show, with both good comedy and extremely raw and affecting storytelling, and everyone should watch it.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:52 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Bob Einstein passed away.

You probably know him either for his incredibly dumb (in a good way) Super Dave Osborne bit, or for his incredibly filthy jokes.

Aw man. =( I remember him from the Super Dave stuff; guy briefly had his own cartoon on FOX back in the early 90s and he had his own live action movie that I caught on cable once.

I'm sure they're not the most ideal ways to experience Super Dave Osborne (It's a safe assumption that works better as short comedy bits), but the point is I knew who the guy was from them. Sad to hear he's gone.

EDIT: Went from watching the wrecking ball video to watching this sports special.

Last edited by MetManMas; 01-04-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:38 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
...because I just got sat down by a friend to watch Hannah Gadsby's show Nanette, and in it she addresses this very problem of combining comedy and activism.

Also it's a fantastic show, with both good comedy and extremely raw and affecting storytelling, and everyone should watch it.
+1 recommendation for Nanette. Not at all what I was anticipating going in, but very worthwhile and probably the most honest human thing I’ve watched in a minute. The way that Hannah talks about the structure, the tension, of a joke then relating it to life outside of stand up and blatantly admitting how unhealthy of a mindset it is just sticks with you for a bit.

The parts where she talks about how much it sucks to be a woman, only referenced by their relationships to the men in their lives and not of their own merits also stuck out to me. (I happened to watch the special a little after season five of Bojack Horseman, which also happens to touch on this, so my brain was already thinking on that concept.) That section of the show made Monica Lewinski bawl her eyes out.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:38 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Bob Einstein was a great comedian and will be missed.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM
King Of Space-Time

Godspeed, Super Dave.

I wish I'd known about this thread sooner. Comedy is my Jam, no pun intended.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Outraged!

We had a more recent one called Comedy Nerd Thread or something like that.

I’ve been rewatching Kroll Show since realizing Comedy Central has every episode available on their app. Basically Nick Kroll, John Daly, John Mulaney and a bunch of other hilarious people taking bits they made up for comedy bang bang and running with them. Ridiculous amount of continuity so it lends itself well to just mainlining the whole series.

Like this stupid sketch from a season 3 episode I just watched. Involves Bobby Bottleservice making and starring in a movie where he has to infilitrate gigolo house by fucking his way through a “backorlette party” to rescue his mom from rival gigolo Eagle Wing. No attempt at all to explain who any of these people are because of course you know Bobby is a gigolo in training with mommy issues who met Farley through online dating and tried to help her further her music career, which somehow led to him being invited to live in a real world style “Gigolo House” but was voted off after failing to defeat Eagle Wing in “Gigolo HORSE”.

I miss this show.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Senhor Member

The Wheels, Ontario sketches are perfect.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
We had a more recent one called Comedy Nerd Thread or something like that.
I made that one, but in my memory it took on a more standup oriented direction including people talking about their own experiences trying it out.

Looking back on it now . . . honestly it would have been fine. Anyway, I like bumping old out of use threads. It's Poster's Disease.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:23 AM
kill

Found this show called Documental on Prime Streaming. It's a game show where 10 Japanese comedians are put in a room and they're not allowed to laugh or they're off.

It's pretty great. Are there any other shows with the same or similar premise?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I found this interview with the Oh, Hello guys at the 92 St. Y with John Oliver. I'm a big fan and it MAY be the best thing I've seen with them because they're just improvising in character for 90 minutes alongside another very capable comedian. John Mulaney especially sparkles, he's very clearly in his element.

But let's comedy nerd out a bit here. Watch that one, then watch a very similar interview, on the same stage, recorded about 18 months before that one.

It's amazing to see how much growth the duo has in that time. The earlier interview, while funny, has far less zing to it. They focus on jokes rather than character work, they deny each other's world building and generally stumble over each other and stall. Some of that is fixed with some basic improv tenants, but some of it is just living in those characters and figuring out this act for a couple of years.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:33 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I guess I know their name is Oh Hello as a duo but I always, always call them Too Much Tuna
Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 PM
till the sheriff stops by

I loved when they were doing these characters on Comedy Bang Bang. Always a pleasure.

Tags
comedy