The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Giggling Time: Talking About Comedy

I know this is a bit broad, but we've had like a dozen horror movie threads at this point, seems reasonable to have one devoted to comedy.

I think Chris Morris is probably the most brilliant guy working in comedy today. He's in the news a bit right now because he made the movie "Four Lions," a film about some idiot terrorists who spend their days arguing who's more jihad between Notorious B.I.G. and Osama Bin Laden.

He made his name starting on the radio doing a show called "On The Hour" that was a really extreme satire of the proliferating news magazine shows of the time, playing up the vacuousness of shows that tell you "Everything you need to know" about the day in half an hour. Considering the degeneration of these shows since CNN first premiered it's pretty shockingly prescient. The second episode's probably the best and you can listen to it here. It starts off his preoccupation with surreal bits; annoying, cruel, condescending authority figures; and being hilarious. It was also the start for Armando Iannucci and Steve Coogan who made Knowing Me, Knowing You, I'm Alan Partridge, and most recently, In the Loop, the best satirical film in recent memory.

Morris went on to do Brass Eye where he did some pretty amazing pranks, like getting a conservative MP to speak out against the fictional drug cake, which was enormous and yellow and induced the disorder "Czech neck". He also got some celebrities to speak out in defense of an elephant who'd supposedly stuck its trunk up its own ass. He got a lot of complaints and made headlines for a really disturbing, hilarious episode on pedophilia. You can see the "cake" bit here. The whole pedophilia episode, PAEDOGEDDON is here, and predates those horrible "To Catch A Predator" specials by several years. Watching that's probably the fastest way to find out whether you're interested in what he does. It's still what he's most famous for unless you count the new movie.

From there he made the show "Jam," where he did short, shocking horror/comedy sketches that he paired with ambient music. If someone read my mind to see what I would most want to see, then said, "ENGH, wrong, you want this and this," they'd have been right. I genuinely wouldn't recommend it for people with weak constitutions though. Still, it's some of the most innovative comedy that's ever been filmed. He does a lot with weird film stock and slowed-down audio. Fans of Wonder Showzen would be very likely to enjoy it. Not as much of this is available on youtube as the other stuff, but there's a region free dvd you can buy and... other ways you could probably acquire it. There's also a radio version of it, Blue Jam, that might be better if you can't take some of the visuals. Blue Jam's also a good way to hear some amazing electronica.

Anyway, this is my favorite shit at the moment. What's yours (stand-up, sketch, film, series)?

Last edited by MikeDinosaur; 07-06-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Senhor Member

I'm watching the pedophile episode right now and I actually kind of like it.

"Why can we no longer think of the "British Isles" without the word "paedoph" in front of them?!"

I love Sarah Silverman (no idea what the general consensus on her is), but whenever she's seriously talking about something, I always kind of expect her to end up mocking herself or her position. The perils of playing a loose mockery of yourself.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 PM
i musnt run away

I've been hitting up David Cross albums lately. I've had "Shut Up You Fucking Baby" for a long time, but I recently picked up "Bigger and Blackerer" and "It's Not Funny" (in that order) off iTunes.

After watching him play three seasons of Tobias Funke it's almost jarring to hear him as his normal extremely extremely vulgar self, but he still cracks my shit up.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Bob Saget. Wait, isn't this the guy from Full House? The sweet loving dad who ended almost every episode with a moral lesson? Vulgar as hell, with a warped and awesome sense of humor. I got some Albert Brooks movies on queue. He's supposed to be supremely good so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
What Time Is It?

My favorite part of Paedogeddon is the start when they mention that an 11 year old boy was somehow on the spaceship.

As of this year I started watching some older TV comedies on DVD from my library and really loved both "I'm Alan Partridge" with Steve Coogan and "The Newsroom" which ran in Canada in the mid-90s (although it loses its steam and gets really weird at the end).
Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
the :motion: stands

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Bob Saget. Wait, isn't this the guy from Full House? The sweet loving dad who ended almost every episode with a moral lesson? Vulgar as hell, with a warped and awesome sense of humor.
Well, yeah. That's what happens when you suck dick for crack.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
My favorite part of Paedogeddon is the start when they mention that an 11 year old boy was somehow on the spaceship.
I'm partial to the pedophile who dressed up as a school house to lure children inside.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
In the Hall of Judgment

Whenever me and my friend are together, I feel like we spend half our time quoting Patton Oswalt, and most of the time it's just us repeatedly doing his KFC Famous Bowl routine.

Haaaaappy biiiiirthday, I'm foooorty-threeeee
Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 AM

Why do video games not have a comedy genre?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Sudden chomper

I love good standup comedy, yet I hardly ever listen to any. Isn't that weird? Just the other day, though, I relistened to Mitch Hedberg's Mitch All Together, which I really like. The bit about tartar had me and the ladyfriend rolling, at least figuratively.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mablem8 View Post
Because if you do anything more than "so bad its hilarious" type stuff (i.e. Deadly Premonition) you might as well just be watching a DVD of a standup routine. GTA4 had a couple comedians that you could watch routines of on the TV in your apartment (I think it was Kat Williams and Ricky Gervais).
Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Did I mention I like The IT Crowd? Because I do.

Quote:
Same reason games don't have a tragedy genre. Video game genres aren't defined by tone, but by gameplay content. For example, Monkey Island is an adventure game and God Hand is a beat 'em up, even though they're both comedic in tone.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Crawling Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
Whenever me and my friend are together, I feel like we spend half our time quoting Patton Oswalt, and most of the time it's just us repeatedly doing his KFC Famous Bowl routine.

Haaaaappy biiiiirthday, I'm foooorty-threeeee
Yessssssss.

I'm also a fan of Magician, The.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 AM
World of Darkness Returns

The only thing really comedic about Brutal Legend was how laughably short it was.

That said, Portal was pretty funny before the internet got ahold of it.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
i musnt run away

Yeah, don't blame Portal for what the Internet did!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I still haven't played Brutal Legend, but I'll check it out soon.

I've actually been watching a lot of British comedies lately. Peep Show is downright amazing, and some of the sketches from that Mitchell and Webb look are hilarious. Black Books is really funny, but it has a pretty standard sitcom formula. Then there's the UK Office, Coupling and Spaced. I've only seen one episode of the inbetweeners, but it seemed ok. Anything I'm missing?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyinkpen View Post
Yeah, don't blame Portal for what the Internet did!
I get where you're coming from, but man. The internet ruined the everloving fuck out of that game's comedy, and I only played it a month or two after it came out.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Conquers the World

Louis CK
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Has anyone been watching "Check It Out!", the Steve Brule series? It has the same kind of woozy uncomfortableness as "Awesome Show" but there's moments of pure gold. The "Fear" episode was incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KyMDowj77U
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena

British people, will they ever not be funny?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Colin Mochrie.

That is all.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Crawling Chaos

Dylan Moran is very funny. I love his description of the German language. "It sounds like typewriters eating tin foil being kicked down stairs."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoLIU2NI66w
Old 07-08-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
British people, will they ever not be funny?
I love the little unremarked details, like how the scientist's hand is increasingly burnt and then he's wearing a glove on that hand for the rest of the episode.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I get where you're coming from, but man. The internet ruined the everloving fuck out of that game's comedy, and I only played it a month or two after it came out.
Perhaps you pay too much attention to the internet. I waited about a year to play Portal, and I had no such problems. The annoying memes just barely touched on what made the game so funny anyway: the excellent writing and tone of GLaDOS' monologues. A few endlessly regurgitated phrases were hardly enough to diminish my enjoyment of that.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
I love the little unremarked details, like how the scientist's hand is increasingly burnt and then he's wearing a glove on that hand for the rest of the episode.
Wait what show are we talking about again

I don't think I've heard of this but it looks funny
Old 07-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I very, very much think he's the greatest stand-up working, and one of the greatest ever. Have you seen the FX show? I think it's pretty great! which is nice since I found Lucky Louie not very funny.

I am generally most interested in comics with conversational, story-telling-type styles (Mitch Hedburg, Woody Allen, plenty of other people being great exceptions,) but the most recent great stuff I found in that vein is Mike Birbiglia's secret public journal cd. This celebrity golf bit made me lose my shit on the street.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDinosaur View Post
This celebrity golf bit made me lose my shit on the street.
I also love Mike Birbiglia. His bit about making out in middle school during this week's This American Life podcast made me that weird guy laughing on the street. Introducing me to Mike Birbiglia is one of the many reasons I love This American Life.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Sudden chomper

Kishi posted a link to a bit that Patton Oswalt did on magician/comedians that I found pretty good, so I tried listening to most of My Weakness is Strong last night as I was driving home. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed, really - Oswalt seems to trade mostly on vulgarity, trying to find a particularly shocking way of saying things. I can deal with the colorful ways of describing vaginas and anuses, but I don't find it particularly clever. There were some good bits farther in, especially his story about rats, but neither I nor the ladyfriend was particularly impressed. Disappointing, considering that the YouTube bit I mentioned above seemed pretty decent.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDinosaur View Post
It's still what he's most famous for unless you count the new movie.
My favourite bit about this is the response in the papers. See if you can detect what's wrong about the story criticising the Brass Eye special:

(What you are looking for is that Charlotte Church was underage at the time, and so perhaps admiring her breasts is not really that compatible with calling a show about paedophiles 'sick'.)

Tags
comedy