The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Senhor Member

Default If you see something, scream something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
More violent and murdery than ever.
Kids love to see teens get their faces crushed and burned! She ends up... fine, but geez. Also, again, lol, a teen shot in the chest and dead for real, when just last season (five years ago) the Young Justicelings were dramatically exploding squibs to fake their own deaths for like two minutes.

ďWell now we know why heís called Count VertigoĒ how droll

Dig the melancholy end credits.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM
This Guy

They got Luke Wilson playing the stepdad in Stargirl. That is actually perfect casting. I am so excited for that show.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM

I finished a YJ rewatch, and now watched the first three episodes of the new season. It definitely feels edgier. Which is not necessarily bad, but I really miss the lighter tone of the first season. The relationship nonsense is still bad, but it was always bad. I really, REALLY like how Artemis lives in this modern living arrangement with her sister and Red Arrow and helps them raise their kid. It's one of the show's more woke moments and best reflects the realities of being a young adult in this day and age.

Is the whole traumatized Black Lightning story line from some comic I dunno about? My knowledge of BL is limited.

It's kinda weird we're getting a Batman Inc story with no Damien Wayne.

I both like and roll my eyes at how topical this season is trying to be. It's living up to DC's finest traditions. Lex Luthor as UN chair is about right, but the whole President Lex story-line (and Lex as the ultra-capitalist), in retrospect, attributes far too much intelligence and competency to Donald Trump, and not enough cruelty and plain evil.

I hate the opening and ending credits sequence. Both are ten billion percent disposable. You're on a premium streaming platform. You don't have to worry about compressing your show for a broadcast format. You can afford to show a lengthy and cool opening/ending credit sequence without sacrificing run time for the rest of your episode. And if people don't like it, they can skip it with a button press. It's just very unfortunate.

I also disapprove of the serialized nature of the 3rd season as well. S1 & 2 struck a good balance between ongoing story arcs, but self-contained episodes. These first three episodes essentially bleed into each other, and are meant to be binged, and I'm really growing to resent that model for television. Even if I am binge watching a show, I'd rather the story be broken into more discrete, digestable chunks so I can 1) feel better about pausing between episodes and coming back later, and 2) having the stories switch up more often retains my attention and keeps things more interesting with the increased variety.

Re: the recasting of G. Gordon Godfrey - a necessary evil. With the passing of Tim Curry, they had to get someone else to fill the shoes. And that character is pretty quintessential to the kinds of stories they're trying to tell with regards to the plague of yellow journalism/fake news that's undermining both the real world and the world in YJ.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
With the passing of Tim Curry
You panicked me for a bit there.

Tim Curry is alive, but had a stroke back in 2012 that left him paralyzed and hurt his ability to speak.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM

I could have sworn he died, my bad, but ya he is definitely out of the biz regardless.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

According to Wikipedia, the dude is a consummate showman and professional; his inability to walk and reduced ability to speak did not stop him, he's still performing.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Oh yeah, I also really like how it's depicted that Themyscira and Atlantis are voting members of the UN.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Senhor Member

Had no idea that was Tim Curry or about his health problems. Wish him the best. Just.... hated that character. So annoying. At one point it appeared he was in the tank for the Bad Aliens, but no, he was just credulous in a way that made no sense for an avowed xenophobe. Would have preferred they told a story with a different character voiced by Tim Curry and now someone else.

Also, yeah the first season was my favorite.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
At one point it appeared he was in the tank for the Bad Aliens, but no, he was just credulous in a way that made no sense for an avowed xenophobe.
Heís a propaganda mouthpiece for The Light. He was there at the end of Season 2 in the same room with Vandal Savage when he went to go meet Darkseid. Heís crucial to their plans because he shifts popular opinion towards The Lightís goals.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Senhor Member

Ah. Nonetheless... I would have preferred he not come back, along with the intensely annoying aliens from season 2. (wait, are they back, too, and have I already forgotten?)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Senhor Member

The extremely silly Harm, with his Harmís Way puns, was of course lifted straight from a Peter Davidís mind. His wikia page includes this interesting fact:
Quote:
  • Harm is voiced by Ben Diskin who had previously voiced Venom in The Spectacular Spider-Man, another Greg Weisman production. Both characters exhibit idiosyncratic speech patterns: Venom spoke in the first-person plural to refer to himself ("we"), while Harm refers to himself in the third-person singular and uses the impersonal pronoun to refer to others ("it", "they" and a pluralized "its"). Moreover, both are psychotic and both have bound and gagged a character voiced by Lacey Chabert.
I was definitely like ďLacey Chabert?Ē when Lacey Chabert showed up.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh, Titans showed up on Netflix Canada! Now I can see how much esteem Robin has for his adopted dad my own self!

Iím presuming everything from DC Universe is going to end up on Canadian netflix, as we donít have that service. Hereís hoping!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
The extremely silly Harm, with his Harmís Way puns, was of course lifted straight from a Peter Davidís mind.
The Harm and Secret's episode in YJ was written by PAD himself - in case all the puns didn't give him away. I am glad he tackled Secret in the animated series, even if he had to change her characterization to make her arc fit in a 22 minute episode; she was my favorite character in that team, and I'm not ashamed to admit I was a Robin/Secret shipper in the comics.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM
Senhor Member

Going to meditate on ďSecrets donít stay buried... obviouslyĒ for the rest of the day.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:38 AM

Episodes 4-6 of the new season of YJ is up, and oh boy. Only had time to watch episode 4. But man. A all Harper team was simply amazing to experience. Greatest tv episode evar
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Mystery Contraption

Watching an episode of Titans followed immediately by an episode of Teen Titans Go is... not as jarring as expected. The main difference is that the latter uses grim violence as a punchline, instead of for drama.

Also, Iím assuming that Titans isnít set in Bludhaven because the production staff realized that that is a completely ridiculous make for a city. Yet, somehow, it being set in Detroit makes it even goofier.

Also, Robin throws little sharpened Rs at people, because even though he has rude words to say about Batman, he acknowledges how important branding is.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:38 PM
Senhor Member

The adorable little throwing Rís R so good.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
This Guy

I really hope the Lena is making superpowered people is not the start of Lena turning evil but an excuse to do Jimmy Olson Turtle Man.

Tags
bad thread titles , don’t worry sven i get it , fuck batman , i am cyborg superman , i don't get it , nobody gets it , praise beebo , superhero tv , too many speedsters