The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Senhor Member

Default If you see something, scream something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
More violent and murdery than ever.
Kids love to see teens get their faces crushed and burned! She ends up... fine, but geez. Also, again, lol, a teen shot in the chest and dead for real, when just last season (five years ago) the Young Justicelings were dramatically exploding squibs to fake their own deaths for like two minutes.

Well now we know why he’s called Count Vertigo” how droll

Dig the melancholy end credits.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:51 AM
This Guy

They got Luke Wilson playing the stepdad in Stargirl. That is actually perfect casting. I am so excited for that show.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:31 PM

I finished a YJ rewatch, and now watched the first three episodes of the new season. It definitely feels edgier. Which is not necessarily bad, but I really miss the lighter tone of the first season. The relationship nonsense is still bad, but it was always bad. I really, REALLY like how Artemis lives in this modern living arrangement with her sister and Red Arrow and helps them raise their kid. It's one of the show's more woke moments and best reflects the realities of being a young adult in this day and age.

Is the whole traumatized Black Lightning story line from some comic I dunno about? My knowledge of BL is limited.

It's kinda weird we're getting a Batman Inc story with no Damien Wayne.

I both like and roll my eyes at how topical this season is trying to be. It's living up to DC's finest traditions. Lex Luthor as UN chair is about right, but the whole President Lex story-line (and Lex as the ultra-capitalist), in retrospect, attributes far too much intelligence and competency to Donald Trump, and not enough cruelty and plain evil.

I hate the opening and ending credits sequence. Both are ten billion percent disposable. You're on a premium streaming platform. You don't have to worry about compressing your show for a broadcast format. You can afford to show a lengthy and cool opening/ending credit sequence without sacrificing run time for the rest of your episode. And if people don't like it, they can skip it with a button press. It's just very unfortunate.

I also disapprove of the serialized nature of the 3rd season as well. S1 & 2 struck a good balance between ongoing story arcs, but self-contained episodes. These first three episodes essentially bleed into each other, and are meant to be binged, and I'm really growing to resent that model for television. Even if I am binge watching a show, I'd rather the story be broken into more discrete, digestable chunks so I can 1) feel better about pausing between episodes and coming back later, and 2) having the stories switch up more often retains my attention and keeps things more interesting with the increased variety.

Re: the recasting of G. Gordon Godfrey - a necessary evil. With the passing of Tim Curry, they had to get someone else to fill the shoes. And that character is pretty quintessential to the kinds of stories they're trying to tell with regards to the plague of yellow journalism/fake news that's undermining both the real world and the world in YJ.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
With the passing of Tim Curry
You panicked me for a bit there.

Tim Curry is alive, but had a stroke back in 2012 that left him paralyzed and hurt his ability to speak.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM

I could have sworn he died, my bad, but ya he is definitely out of the biz regardless.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

According to Wikipedia, the dude is a consummate showman and professional; his inability to walk and reduced ability to speak did not stop him, he's still performing.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Oh yeah, I also really like how it's depicted that Themyscira and Atlantis are voting members of the UN.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Senhor Member

Had no idea that was Tim Curry or about his health problems. Wish him the best. Just.... hated that character. So annoying. At one point it appeared he was in the tank for the Bad Aliens, but no, he was just credulous in a way that made no sense for an avowed xenophobe. Would have preferred they told a story with a different character voiced by Tim Curry and now someone else.

Also, yeah the first season was my favorite.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
At one point it appeared he was in the tank for the Bad Aliens, but no, he was just credulous in a way that made no sense for an avowed xenophobe.
He’s a propaganda mouthpiece for The Light. He was there at the end of Season 2 in the same room with Vandal Savage when he went to go meet Darkseid. He’s crucial to their plans because he shifts popular opinion towards The Light’s goals.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Senhor Member

Ah. Nonetheless... I would have preferred he not come back, along with the intensely annoying aliens from season 2. (wait, are they back, too, and have I already forgotten?)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Senhor Member

The extremely silly Harm, with his Harm’s Way puns, was of course lifted straight from a Peter David’s mind. His wikia page includes this interesting fact:
Quote:
  • Harm is voiced by Ben Diskin who had previously voiced Venom in The Spectacular Spider-Man, another Greg Weisman production. Both characters exhibit idiosyncratic speech patterns: Venom spoke in the first-person plural to refer to himself ("we"), while Harm refers to himself in the third-person singular and uses the impersonal pronoun to refer to others ("it", "they" and a pluralized "its"). Moreover, both are psychotic and both have bound and gagged a character voiced by Lacey Chabert.
I was definitely like “Lacey Chabert?” when Lacey Chabert showed up.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh, Titans showed up on Netflix Canada! Now I can see how much esteem Robin has for his adopted dad my own self!

I’m presuming everything from DC Universe is going to end up on Canadian netflix, as we don’t have that service. Here’s hoping!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
The extremely silly Harm, with his Harm’s Way puns, was of course lifted straight from a Peter David’s mind.
The Harm and Secret's episode in YJ was written by PAD himself - in case all the puns didn't give him away. I am glad he tackled Secret in the animated series, even if he had to change her characterization to make her arc fit in a 22 minute episode; she was my favorite character in that team, and I'm not ashamed to admit I was a Robin/Secret shipper in the comics.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Senhor Member

Going to meditate on “Secrets don’t stay buried... obviously” for the rest of the day.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:38 AM

Episodes 4-6 of the new season of YJ is up, and oh boy. Only had time to watch episode 4. But man. A all Harper team was simply amazing to experience. Greatest tv episode evar
Old 01-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

Watching an episode of Titans followed immediately by an episode of Teen Titans Go is... not as jarring as expected. The main difference is that the latter uses grim violence as a punchline, instead of for drama.

Also, I’m assuming that Titans isn’t set in Bludhaven because the production staff realized that that is a completely ridiculous make for a city. Yet, somehow, it being set in Detroit makes it even goofier.

Also, Robin throws little sharpened Rs at people, because even though he has rude words to say about Batman, he acknowledges how important branding is.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Senhor Member

The adorable little throwing R’s R so good.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:54 PM
This Guy

I really hope the Lena is making superpowered people is not the start of Lena turning evil but an excuse to do Jimmy Olson Turtle Man.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:53 PM

The last four (until it resumes in June) Young Justice Season 3 episodes are up. People waiting to binge or take advantage of a free trial of DCU can now watch all of em.

I’m sure it goes without saying but. God damn. What a ducking amazing show.

Also Doom Patrol GO needed to be a thing like, yesterday
Old 01-25-2019, 07:09 PM
Senhor Member

I guess it is true that Weisman only said there were already LGBT characters in Young Justice, not that they would make themselves known at any point.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 PM

Like I seriously can’t get over it so amaze

Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Out Of Warranty

I just watched the first episode of the Manimal reboot Titans and it really put me off. Too gory, too cynical - and that color palette, too Snydery. There's no joy at all in the show until the very very end, and even then it's understated.

Frankly, I wouldn't keep watching but the next episode's title is "Hawk & Dove". Damn them.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 AM
Senhor Member

That’s a weird one! Curious as to what you’ll think. (I was still v. much buying what this absurd show was selling at that point)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
That’s a weird one! Curious as to what you’ll think. (I was still v. much buying what this absurd show was selling at that point)
Well.... Disappointed, really. They changed everything about Hawk & Dove - their powers, their background, their relationship.... They don't even have the right character traits, because, reallly, can you tell me how is this Dawn Granger the opposite of Hank Hall? Because I didn't get anything about her character besides "generic chick". And Hank is supposed to be hot headed, but not toxically so. This is way too cynical a take on them.

Also, I know its hard to make her powers and abilities work in the small screen, but Dove's whole deal is that she's a pacifist and a passive fighter, not somebody who slices her opponents with a knife. I'm not asking for flight, show runners, just good choreography that shows Dove indirectly hurting her opponents or, even better, making her opponents hurt themselves.
So turns out that this series uses the costume and names from the Kesels' run of Hawk & Dove but nothing else - is as if Gangbuster wore the Superman costume and called himself Superman. So, no, not feeling it. Disappointed that H&D finally get a live action adaptation and it's, well, this.

As if that wasn't enough, this episode has two fridgings. Well, one and a half, since I know Dove comes back later (thanks for the spoilers, episode thumbnails).

Does it get better? Because after seeing Robin graphically gouge somebody's eyes out and stabbing someone in the groin, I'm really not enthusiastic about this at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 AM
Mystery Contraption

I didn’t go in with any particular pre-existing love for Hawk & Dove*, but I could tell that the characters were extremely mishandled, and between that and the absurd level of grim ‘n gritty, I determined that the show was extremely not for me.

*took me three tries not to write “Hawk & Doge”, I would watch the hell out of that, though.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM
This Guy

I thought Titans improved significantly after the first couple of episodes and the team actually got together. It never really gets over being too violent, but all other parts of the show improve greatly and it at least plays the violence into the themes of the show.

Even if you are going to give up on the show, I recommend watching the Doom Patrol episode. It is a highlight.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Senhor Member

I should’ve known there would be no queer characters in Young Justice because that was all just wildly optimistic speculation from 2017. It’s still disappointing. Staight people make out all the time on this show, often in rapid succession. Aqualad was replaced by another Khary Payton voiced character who is not gay, but like I do think it would contradict the lore if Aqualad fucked like this character has.

So far the only definitively queer character in DC Universe original content has been a child molester. Well, I guess you could count that weirdo who really wanted to cut off Hawk’s dick, but unfortunately he passed. (his dick was cut off)

Anyway, back to Young Justice. Halo is also an odd character? Her plotline as presented seems pretty Psylocky for 2019. Name stuff seems weird... She’s basically a new person but still wears a hijab because that part of her body’s former identity doesn’t make her uncomfortable, though it kind of seems like she’s not a Muslim now, either. At least her mind wasn’t originally that of a white person. Have no idea what the character’s deal is in the comics, though apparently in that Violet Harper was her body’s original name. So why not just have Halo keep her Quraci name here? I know the answer is, “because it’s Violet Harper in the comics!”
Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 PM
This Guy

I'd like to nominate tonight's episode of the Flash for the 21st Annual Best Use of Dragula in a soundtrack award.

This episode was a lot of fun.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I'd like to nominate tonight's episode of the Flash for the 21st Annual Best Use of Dragula in a soundtrack award.

This episode was a lot of fun.
Strongly agreed on all points. Can’t think of too many bodies of work that aren’t improved by adding Dragula to the soundtrack, however.

Did we get an explanation for why Thawns still around, and still looking like Wells? Dudes been erased from history twice, and also he doesn’t actually look a thing like Tom Cavanaugh. This entire plot point is just kind of confusing.

Semi-related, I just finished season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow, which was really hurt by me not watching Arrow after the first season; no idea who Damian Dark is, or why everyone already hates him, or why he has magical powers.

I could accept him having magical powers by merit of the fact that there’s no chance that someone named “Damian Dark” wouldn’t have them. But their appearance was kind of abrupt and weird.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I just finished season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow, which was really hurt by me not watching Arrow after the first season; no idea who Damian Dark is, or why everyone already hates him, or why he has magical powers.
Skipping Season 2 of Arrow was a mistake as it’s the best season of Arrow (and perhaps any of these shows combined) but that’s not a problem here. Because the Arrow season with Damian Darke is one of the worst seasons of any of these shows.

Tags
bad thread titles , don’t worry sven i get it , fuck batman , i am cyborg superman , i don't get it , nobody gets it , praise beebo , superhero tv , too many speedsters