The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Wow, that was quite good!

It had an arc and an emotional through line and themes and some good lines and a lone Dalek! I love a lone Dalek. I almost prefer a lone Dalek.

It also had references to past continuity, too... and not just Kate Stewart. The supernova at the end - that was Skaro, right? After the 7th Doctor blew it up (but before it came back somehow in Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar)? Could be wrong about that but it'd be cool.

Also kinda wanted the Doctor to say "Blackpool" at the end, but that would probably have been too fanwanky.

More of that please in the next decade!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:36 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Yes! The Doctor actually remembered she's not a pacifist and did some stuff. Not perfect but a big improvement. I quite liked the dalek design, it looked suitably cobbled together. Now begins the wait for the new series...

I've now got all the Moffatt series on bluray, I'll be working through those in the meantime.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Just watched “Kerblam!” And WOW you guys weren’t kidding.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:34 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Just watched “Kerblam!” And WOW you guys weren’t kidding.
Yeah, to me it feels like somebody completely different wrote the second half because the theme abruptly reverses and becomes kind of horrifying...
Old 01-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

"The Witchfinders" was just painful for me to watch.
Quote:
"As King James has written in his new Bible, 'Thou shall not suffer a witch to live.'"

"In the Old Testament. There's a twist in the sequel. 'Love thy neighbor.'"
No, Doctor, you idiot, "love thy neighbor" is Leviticus.

Jesus is quoting Leviticus.

But sure, season your call for love and tolerance with a healthy dollop of antisemitism.

If you're not even going to Google the quotes you're using maybe don't make an episode about religion?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:22 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Yeah, that wasn't great.
There's a running theme with this series that it is very good at representation on the surface, then you look even slightly closer and it's borderline ugly. There are gay people, but they all swiftly wind up dead. Apparently crappy relatives should always be allowed into your life even if they a) disappeared for years on end and left your mother to do all the raising or b) invented a fake monster to stop you leaving the house while they're busy having extra dimensional sexy times

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , london 1965 , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , serious , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff