The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

I like that series as well. It has a different setting and is less vulgar than First Law, but definitely feels like his kind of story.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 AM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Finished off Last Argument of Kings, and with it, the entire First Law trilogy. The series never strayed from its premise of “What if Game of Thrones had less sex, more violence and everyone was a bigger asshole?”, and also had the critical distinction of... not being paced well, but so, so much better. Throughout the whole series, whenever it looked like a bad character had something redemptive in their heart, they quickly go about obliterating your sympathy for them by doing something awful (Glokta swings both ways like a pendulum, fast enough to give you whiplash). And, again, despite it being a checklist of Things I Hate In Books, I loved the whole series.
this is exactly my conclusion as well. I *hate* grimdark, and there wasn't a redeemable person in the lot, but holy shit did it all come together in an incredible and satisfying package. what an amazing trilogy.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Started reading Springfield Confidential, a memoir/behind the scenes book by Simpson’s head-writer Mike Reiss. It’s informative and zippy.

Also; you may not be surprised to learn that one of the head writers for The Simpsons is a funny dude.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:46 AM

Going back to the world of musicals (don't judge me lol) with Showstoppers!: The Surprising Backstage Stories of Broadway's Most Remarkable Songs by Gerald Nachman
Old 06-16-2018, 10:47 AM

Angels in America by Tony Kushner
Old 06-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Read some epics. Finished Pharsalia, a very gory and surreal epic based on the conflict between Pompey and Cesar.

Argonautica: Appolodorus version. I actually have the newest translation of the Flaccus version, excited to read that. This hits a lot of the notes from the Odyssey and also has some quirks exclusive to the Alexandrian age that I won't go into at the moment. Very cool to see the Greek Avengers. I kind of want to see the 1963 movie now.

Most of the themes and subtext go completely over my head, I'm sure, but they were good reads.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:15 PM

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Time for a story. I first read this almost twenty three years ago, but I never shelved it on Goodreads, because I never really read the whole thing. I skipped all the historical stuff not concerned with the Jean Valjean odyssey. It wasn't until a few months after finishing (it took me almost two months to finish, by the way) that I missed the whole point of the book, and I vowed that one day, I would read every last page. Today is finally that day.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Finished Springfield Confidential, which I quite liked on the whole. Could have come across a bit more graceful on the whole Apu thing, but otherwise I enjoyed it.

And now on to Neal Stephenson’s most recent collaboration; The Rise and Fall of DODO. A scant dozen pages in and I can safely say “yep, Neal Stephenson’s hand wrote these passages.”
Old 06-17-2018, 10:06 AM
It's dog eat dog

Just read through Tom Stoppard's Arcadia. I saw a production of it a couple months ago, but my attention span doesn't do very well with plays, so I had a lot of trouble following what was going on. Reading it is more my speed, and holy shit this play is such a ballet of gigantic ideas! Now I want to actually see it again.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book