The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I’ve not read Inferno, but am I right in assuming that it involves that stone crypt full of demons in the X-Mansions back yard that, like, nobody is ever concerned about?

Because everyone’s total apathy to the (literal) Hell Hole on Professor Xavier’s school campus is in my top-3 favorite things about X-Men.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

You are wrong; Inferno’s an NYC problem. As you know, the X-Men are perfectly content to let their demonic cairns persist unmolested. Those are responsible for more single- than multiple-issue bullshit so, really, they don’t even rank as a problem.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I’ve not read Inferno, but am I right in assuming that it involves that stone crypt full of demons in the X-Mansions back yard that, like, nobody is ever concerned about?

Because everyone’s total apathy to the (literal) Hell Hole on Professor Xavier’s school campus is in my top-3 favorite things about X-Men.
The demons in the back yard of the X-Mansion are the N'Garai, created by not-Cthulu (actual name: Chton -- they weren't even trying here).

Inferno is complicated, but basically it's a completely different set of demons, from Limbo (the one where Illyana Rasputin/Magik grew up).
Old 11-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Oily Butt Thing

The story behind Inferno, which may or may not have been an attempt to work the late '80s/early '90s fan press, was that Chris Claremont wanted to tell such a long, complicated, obnoxiously exploitative crossover story that nobody would ever want the X-Men books to cross over again. Of course it had the exact opposite effect.

The same strategy *did* eventually work for the larger Marvel line with Operation Galactic Storm.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I just realized that maybe Inferno is Very Octo?

The backyard demons (N'Garai) are kind of generic vengeful elder gods who have returned to rule the earth.

Inferno Demons are more fun, basically X-Men: Ghostbusters or X-Men:Labyrinth, depending on what aspect of the convoluted crossover you're dealing with.

(all images yanked from the Jay and Miles visual companions for the associated episodes, from late Spring/early Summer of 2016)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:50 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
lol
Old 11-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Programmed to Jingle

*leaves an Octo-shaped hole in the wall in a mad-dash to order these comics off Amazon*
Old 11-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Turns out the first volume of Inferno is out of print and prohibitively expensive on Amazon, and my Kindle is the monochromatic sort, so getting a digital copy is not in the cards.

On the other hand, lots of options for Excalibur, which I've also wanted to check out thanks to this thread so... any particular recommendations there?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:44 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

If you just want to read them, the vast majority (all, I think) of these issues are on Marvel Unlimited. I’ve never liked reading comics more than on a tablet; you might find the experience less than ideal on a phone or computer. (or maybe not!) missed your disclaimer about no digital copies
Old 11-16-2017, 05:05 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I would say to just start at the beginning, but that also looks like it's out of print and way more expensive than it should be...

The used TPB market is pretty wild...

edit: Oh, wait, right, Canadian dollars. That's not unfair, then. If the The Sword Is Drawn collection is within your personal acceptable price range, probably just start with that.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Space Prez

Inferno might be cheaper to just track down old issues.

My current theory about Inferno is that, because it intersects all the ways in which Claremont's stories were changed against his wishes, it was some kind of dominance play on the part of Marvel. Remind him who's boss, you know? Rub his nose in it.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:12 PM
Love is OGR

Quote:
On the other hand, lots of options for Excalibur, which I've also wanted to check out thanks to this thread so... any particular recommendations there?
The Epic Collection there is a newly collected book from earlier this year, so it should be available at reasonable prices. It contains much of the early material of the original Claremont/Alan Davis run, which are the names you should look for with Excalibur anyway, so it's recommended. Later on after Claremont's departure from the book, Davis returns to it to write and illustrate a lengthy run on his own, for what is likely the best era for the book.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:28 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Turns out the first volume of Inferno is out of print and prohibitively expensive on Amazon, and my Kindle is the monochromatic sort, so getting a digital copy is not in the cards.
It's not super graceful, but comixology has a browser reader for digital comics.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
The same strategy *did* eventually work for the larger Marvel line with Operation Galactic Storm.
Oh man, OGS was the crossover that inoculated me against non-mutant Marvel until I finally read the Simonson Thor run (in 2007.)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I always felt like the build up of "what's going on with Madelyn?" was more interesting than the Inferno event itself.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:36 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Skipping ahead to Kings of Pain bc it’s on Unlimited and I came across this bit, which I’m sure has made the rounds before.

This has been my first real exposure to Fabian Nicieza’s writing. I think I’m going to take a break after Claremont leaves the books, but I’m enjoying this stupid-ass crossover. Every issue begins with a stupid hero fight which people comment on, in a time when that was more novel and defensible. (maybe?)

I don’t think this is horny; just fucked up
Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Video Monster

what the

fuck

is that last panel
Old 11-18-2017, 05:33 AM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
what the

fuck

is that last panel
Hard to say.
-
How do you pronounce “teke”? It’s a word I truly hate, because my mind wants to read it in a way that has to be wrong. (tech-uh? tech-ay?) If it’s “tee kay” fuck that, why not use T.K.? Also fuck that word no matter what.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
How do you pronounce “teke”? It’s a word I truly hate, because my mind wants to read it in a way that has to be wrong. (tech-uh? tech-ay?) If it’s “tee kay” fuck that, why not use T.K.? Also fuck that word no matter what.
təkə
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
My current theory about Inferno is that, because it intersects all the ways in which Claremont's stories were changed against his wishes, it was some kind of dominance play on the part of Marvel. Remind him who's boss, you know? Rub his nose in it.
From what I've seen in this thread, I'm not sure he'd be entirely opposed to that.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:53 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Here's some fun dumb stuff from early X-Men (#22-23), behind a spoilerpop because it's image heavy.

Isn't this supposed to be pretty much the one and only situation where Angel is kind of useful?

Literally every Cyclops panel is like this.

They barely made it past 20 issues before they just couldn't be bothered to write a superhero in a wheelchair anymore. (I'm sure they forget that this ever happened soon enough. Early X-Men was very bad, honestly amazing that it ever had a succesful revival.)

Was "Bye, I've got to leave now to do a bunch of tranquilizers" a normal thing in the 1960s?

Gag where Beast accidentally asks a man out on a date. These crazy beatniks and their newfangled hairstyles!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:13 PM
so exciting!

it must be difficult out there for a guy whose initial mutation was "being super muscular and strong"
Old 11-18-2017, 01:22 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

My favorite early Beast trick was him standing sideways on brick walls, thanks to his incredible toe/core strength. I really think he should do it more often and it’s not like it contradicts his power level like some other x-feats. (Cyclops cuts a cake with his beams early on)

My fav Silver Age X-Man was Mimic, because he was a total dick to these nerds.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Roy Thomas' villains are on some Venture Brothers levels of D-Tier ridiculous.

Kind of love that he just slaps Cyclops when he's speechifying.

Now that he can walk, Xavier decides the most useful thing to do is wear a fake beard and give the villains a stern lecture.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I'm not sure it's that he doesn't need friends so much as he doesn't have any.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:37 PM
ah’m margaret wartahm

He doesn’t need friends; he has subjects.

I really do wanna revisit the back half of the Silver Age X-Men at some point, as that’s where the best stuff is and I was so over it by that point. (I did read the locust issue... it was good)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:23 AM
Out Of Warranty

I never knew Xavier had a secret Gandalf cosplay fetish.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I never knew Xavier had a secret Gandalf cosplay fetish.
Well it makes his relationship with Magneto make more sense now.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

More from the Roy Thomas D-List:

Xavier installed creepy thought wave actived safety tentacles (???) to grab him in the mansion as he works out the bugs in his legs.

The narrator seems conflicted about whether or not El Tigre is worth caring about ("most treacherous" vs "mildly incomparable").

El Tigre uses psychic powers from an ancient Mayan artifact to . . . save a few minutes waiting for a taxi. Truly nefarious.

Like the first three panels below, there is actually some pretty fun 60s comic pop art in the 2nd issue of this, after El Tigre finds the MacGuffins and transforms into a very colorful Mayan deity. (But a lot of the issue is wasted on a low stakes boat trek through the jungle.)

Old 11-20-2017, 03:23 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The Mimic Joins the X-Men three issue story (Puppet Master-->Banshee's first appearance-->Super Adaptoid) was a big improvement over the 5 issue D-List parade of Count Nefaria-->Locust-->El Tigre. Unfortunately, a big improvement over delightfully bad brings the quality level up bland and forgettable , the exact sweet spot where almost no enjoyment can be found.

However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
My fav Silver Age X-Man was Mimic, because he was a total dick to these nerds.
This was a a lot of fun. The original 5 are just terrible almost all of the time, and I was totally on board with the Mimic bossing them around. I wish he could stick around just to keep bullying them. The best part was that Xavier repaced Cyclops with Mimic as the leader for these three issues, like even he would rather have this obnoxious jerk in charge than any of his terrible students. Cal Rankin should have stayed around as a powerless leader like Storm did later, as the only character in this run with a personality.

At least the next few issues look like more D-List disasters.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , comics horny vampire , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men