The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Wolfgang's Avatar
Wolfgang Wolfgang is offline
borgn
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fooboomagoo
Posts: 28,105
Default

Trenches has gotten a bit better though
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM
RAC RAC is offline
I'm out
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 812
Default People ARE oversensitive on spoilers. "You SHOULD have finished it" is the issue

I'm not sure what the biggest problem with Penny Arcade is right now, but I see two. One is the ways in which they're not the people they were when it began (Jerry's rant earlier in the year on how he should be free to spoil Bioshock Infinite because everyone "should have" played the game already, like we all have the money and gaming time he has; also the one that was approaching apologism on all the features consumer outcry have since stripped out of the Xbox One because it was important for Microsoft to court developers over, y'know, customers). The other is the ways in which they still are what they were then (anything Mike ever says). But either way we have definitely grown apart and it's definitely not my first stop on those three days of the week anymore.

I can very easily foresee a time when I give up on it altogether if they continue along their current trajectories, and they probably will.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Dart Zaidyer's Avatar
Dart Zaidyer Dart Zaidyer is online now
More than two problems
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free Country USA
Posts: 3,174
Default

Penny Arcade's basic problem is actually very simple:

They're old men pretending to still be young men.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Dawnswalker's Avatar
Dawnswalker Dawnswalker is offline
Love and Peace
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
It doesn't! There's no acknowledgement anywhere except for the original announcement (on twitter) that Monica had taken over art duties and Ty Halley had taken over the writing. So the signatory "authors" of the strip are now contributing nothing at all.
You can tell it's Monica from the art style. Otherwise, no acknowledgement whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Wolfgang's Avatar
Wolfgang Wolfgang is offline
borgn
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fooboomagoo
Posts: 28,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post

They're old men pretending to still be young men.
what exactly do you consider "old"
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
what exactly do you consider "old"
about your age grandpa!

*HA HA*
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Wolfgang's Avatar
Wolfgang Wolfgang is offline
borgn
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fooboomagoo
Posts: 28,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
about your age grandpa!

*HA HA*
i know You are but what am i
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Büge's Avatar
Büge Büge is offline
Safe Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TO, ON, CA
Posts: 14,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
also the one that was approaching apologism on all the features consumer outcry have since stripped out of the Xbox One because it was important for Microsoft to court developers over, y'know, customers).
Also their Diablo III and Mass Effect 3 strawmen.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is offline
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 28,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
You can tell it's Monica from the art style. Otherwise, no acknowledgement whatsoever.
You can? o_O It looks the same now as it does in the first few strips in the archive. Her own webcomic's art is so much more vibrant and fun...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Mr. J's Avatar
Mr. J Mr. J is offline
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,338
Default

I never read Penny-Arcade in its heyday but I've read it on and off for a few years just as something random to look at when I have some free time. Some of the comics are good but most are just middling. The one good thing to come from Penny Arcade is Strip Search and some of the other web shows they've supported (go watch all of Shut Up and Sit Down).
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 AM
sheridanmovieguy's Avatar
sheridanmovieguy sheridanmovieguy is offline
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,023
Default

I see it like this: reading a Penny Arcade takes like 30 seconds. So I still do. Sometimes I chuckle. It's just like in olden times when people read newspapers and looked at the funnies. Sometimes they were funny. Often times they weren't. But oh well.

I'll admit, I liked them more a few years back, but I don't like thinking of things like that too much because I am uncomfortable talking about the subject of aging, so I just sort of pretend it is what it always was. It's been gradual enough that it works most of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Gunther, an Otter's Avatar
Gunther, an Otter Gunther, an Otter is offline
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Trenches has gotten a bit better though

Trenches isnt striking out. Its definitely leagues better than the last "Season". But its really only six episodes in, and really kind of squandering Monica's talents so I dont know that it could be called good.

But Trenches is an oddity among vainglorious trainwrecks and its terrible existance seems to properly fit its themes of never knowing whether the source of your misery is due to incompetence, malice or self sabotage.

The rigid adherence to character templates is really kind of an odd choice (read:bad) in contrast to Penny Arcade right now though, because of the weird offputting distortion of the unicorn facts comic, and the santa one from monday are pretty much the opposite of that. Utter disregard for anything resembling a template and simply burst raw id in line form.
Those drawings are great though because they are the most basic expression of Mike's drawing skills. They're like the falling action of a Tragedy, all Macbeth murders and Oedipus Eye Gouging.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Sanagi's Avatar
Sanagi Sanagi is offline
who's she
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: fairbanks, alaska
Posts: 10,714
Default

The PA guys dropped pretty far in my coolness rankings. I'd rate their fall at one fifth of a Ben Stein. But hey, that's only one twentieth of a Michael Jackson.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
New Video World is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Penny Arcade's basic problem is actually very simple:

They're old men pretending to still be young men.
It's so simple it makes no sense and needs a thorough explanation and potential rewording
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 AM
Parish's Avatar
Parish Parish is offline
Your life is forfeit
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rally, Nerf Cackolacka
Posts: 11,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Countertangent: as pennies have been eliminated in Canada, future generations will be confused why that word is in the title.
Perhaps they will migrate to the UK and become Tuppence Arcade (at current exchange rates, a more than 300% value increase over Penny Arcade, making it a zeitgeisty reflection of the impact of inflation over these past 15 years).
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-06-2013, 03:45 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
New Video World is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,630
Default

We don't really have tuppences anymore. Except for the less-than-prevalent slang term for a vagina.

Perhaps it would still be appropriate.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Parish's Avatar
Parish Parish is offline
Your life is forfeit
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rally, Nerf Cackolacka
Posts: 11,255
Default

Ok, then Canada. Toonie Arcade.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is offline
#deadfish2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Except for the less-than-prevalent slang term for a vagina.
No foolin? I learned something today.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
New Video World is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,630
Default

Oh yes, indeed. A lady's tuppence.

If there's one thing Britain does well, it's disgraceful slang terms for the vagina.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is offline
#deadfish2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,671
Default

Suddenly Tuppence a Bag from Marry Poppins takes on a whole new connotation.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Büge's Avatar
Büge Büge is offline
Safe Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TO, ON, CA
Posts: 14,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Ok, then Canada. Toonie Arcade.
Goddamn inflation. Used to be Loonie Arcade.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
New Video World is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14,630
Default

If it was British it'd be called Penny Amusements. And it would be about fruit machines and the Tuppenny Waterfalls. And a single, broken Sega Rally cab.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is offline
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 28,331
Default

Maybe they should just outsource production south of the border and give us Peso Arcade.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 AM
locit's Avatar
locit locit is offline
Hey guy.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,242
Default

Something something Yenny Arcade?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Merry Christmas, Ma
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Penny Arcade's basic problem is actually very simple:

They're old men pretending to still be young men.
Yeah that doesn't make any sense at all.

UUDD laid out the reasons why I don't like supporting Mike and Jerry as people, even if their only role anymore is as mascots for a media company. Like Mickey and Donald except virulently misogynistic

The strip is still funny more often than not and the art is good, but they've gotten significantly worse at camouflaging the product placement and advertorial content. And sometimes we have sit through two weeks of Jerry inflicting his writing chops on us
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM
BEAT's Avatar
BEAT BEAT is offline
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SKELETON HELL.
Posts: 22,186
Default I USE THE TERM DUDES TO REfER TO ALL HUMANITY

I only care about penny arcade in that is is the reason PAX exists, and I only care about PAX because it offers me glorious opportunity to hang out with you forum dudes whom I have grown to love dearly.

That's all I need.

Last edited by BEAT; 12-06-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: I CLARIFY THIS BECAUSE SOME LADIES ON THIS FORUM MIGHT BE LIKE "WHAT YOU DON'T LOVE ME?" I ASSURE YOU IT'S ALL LOVE ALL AROUND EXCEPT WHEN IT'S HATRED.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Merry Christmas, Ma
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther, an Otter View Post
Trenches isnt striking out. Its definitely leagues better than the last "Season".
Good take on things.

The cool thing about Trenches is that their company cash flow could handle them losing $Texas without issue, so the only thing that can kill this shambling wreck is the good taste and forbearance of all involved

So I can confidently predict our grandchildren will read and bitch about Trenches
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Merry Christmas, Ma
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I only care about penny arcade in that is is the reason PAX exists, and I only care about PAX because it offers me glorious opportunity to hang out with you forum dudes whom I have grown to love dearly.

That's all I need.
PAX and to a lesser extent Blizzcon benefit from the cultural meme that travel must be to a Thing

I see it a lot with my circle of friends, where everyone will descend on an event then spend the entire week hanging out in their hotel rooms or at the beach. The event becomes a convenient excuse to drop a couple grand on seeing people you miss.

E: possibly an overreaction to seeing my white friends use their limited vacation time as a way to see people they hate on holidays they don't celebrate
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Destil's Avatar
Destil Destil is offline
TARANTUL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 21,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
E: possibly an overreaction to seeing my white friends use their limited vacation time as a way to see people they hate on holidays they don't celebrate
I mean, it's that or their families.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Wolfgang's Avatar
Wolfgang Wolfgang is offline
borgn
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fooboomagoo
Posts: 28,105
Default

Everything else aside, tell me the middle panel of the one that's still up currently isn't amazing

Last edited by Wolfgang; 12-06-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: If you say it's not amazing I will know you're a liar
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
didn't read but hate it , i have all the games , penny arcade , webcomic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts ©you, 2007