The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 AM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Default PENNY ARCADE THREAD: Thread About Penny Arcade

There now you never have to post about it in webcomics again.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
New Video World is out!

Penny Arcade has been consistently great since forever, with absolutely no decline or loss of quality.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

counterpoint: Penny Arcade as a comic hasn't declined in quality, but my enjoyment of PA has declined in the past few years as I've become more and more aware that PA Corp. is run by giant entitled man-babies who have been unable to move on from traumas that are over two decades old at this point
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Find Your Reason

Wait, what'd they do now that it deserves its own thread? Was there an ill-thought followup to the four-jobs-in-one post?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Your life is forfeit

tangent: Penny Arcade has depicted pennies or arcades so rarely as to make its name a false pretext, which most lawyers would agree is an actionable offense.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
counterpoint: Penny Arcade as a comic hasn't declined in quality, but my enjoyment of PA has declined in the past few years as I've become more and more aware that PA Corp. is run by giant entitled man-babies who have been unable to move on from traumas that are over two decades old at this point
As usual, upupdowndown speaks the Truth.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
ancient ceramic artifact

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
thats the point since day one they have been man babies,

the first book intro summaries that well, introduced the idea that gamers that prefered to stay all night playing final fantasy 3 instead of going to parties during highschool existed, that we were not alone and appealed the young gamer demographic,
society that hated us because we liked kiddie games (before the frat boys started to play halo) kinda tycho and gabe represented all of us and we gave them our support

(it seems now its targeting 30 somethings gamer dads, and Im afraid that they are out of touch with the new gamer generation(discussed that a lot in the webcomcis thread))

edit.- it seems trenches is updating again with a new writter and artist combo.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
New Video World is out!

No online comic has made me laugh as frequently or as hard as PA.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM
ancient ceramic artifact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
tangent: Penny Arcade has depicted pennies or arcades so rarely as to make its name a false pretext, which most lawyers would agree is an actionable offense.
its seems to be trent in webcomics with names that nothing have to do with the content
(octupus pie, oatmeal, questionable content etc)
Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 AM
New Video World is out!

I think Questionable Content has a lot of relevance, actually.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 AM
the :motion: stands

Penny Arcade will never have a strip funnier than Claw Shrimp so they should just pack it up and go home.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
No online comic has made me laugh as frequently or as hard as PA.
I agree, but it doesn't change the fact that I think Jerry and Mike are assholes (and in fact the very bullies they so often decry), and the more that's become apparent the more it's lessened my enjoyment of the comic.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Safe Space

It has become apparent that Penny Arcade has become a part of the system rather than being apart from the system. They've lost a lot of their objectivity.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Penny Arcade will never have a strip funnier than Carrot Cake Soup so they should just pack it up and go home.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 AM
borgn

I like Penny Arcade but agree that Mike is a pretty big asshole, given that he has stated in the past that he's "incapable of not being an asshole". I don't think Jerry is, as such, but he's way too much Mike's submissive to have any real effect at reigning him in.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
There now you never have to post about it in webcomics again.
You can't tell me what to do!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM
gatchapon 3*

i really enjoy penny arcade, but i'm wondering how much of that is based on nostalgia of how awesome they used to be.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i really enjoy penny arcade, but i'm wondering how much of that is based on nostalgia of how awesome they used to be.
Would you find the comics funny if they WEREN'T being written/drawn by Jerry/Mike? If not, then yes it might.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Sudden chomper

I definitely feel like the shine has come off the whole Penny Arcade enterprise in the last year or few, but they still (occasionally) make a pretty good comic. Lots of them are forgettable, but every once in a while they really make me laugh. And it never feels phoned-in the way that, uh, anything by Scott Kurtz does.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Would you find the comics funny if they WEREN'T being written/drawn by Jerry/Mike? If not, then yes it might.
But Mike's art is what elevates a lot of them.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:42 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
And it never feels phoned-in the way that, uh, anything by Scott Kurtz does.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Find Your Reason

I stopped reading PA around the dickwolves era, but today, I really really wish there were a way to continue to attend PAX without simultaneously supporting their enterprise.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:49 PM
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!

reverse-phantom counter-tangent Trenches sucks cause of Penny Arcade.

Say what you will about Scott Kurtz, (he's loud and fat and smells bad, he is the creepy nice guy that Beloved school idol Newspaper comics wrongfully rejected romantic advances of and how she will RUE, his breasts sway and chime in the wind with evoking long past summers on grandmas porch, etc etc)
But PVP can claim competence as a long form storytelling comic, and Table Titans is probably the best thing Kurtz is doing right now or has in years (maybe ever, but no one cares enough to trawl his archives so the world will NEVER KNOW.)

But Trenches just spins and sputters, neither humour juggernaut that Penny Arcade is/was nor supporting the most basic of Les Situations Comical.
And those same narrative weakness seemed to be why things like Lookouts, A delightful premise and beautiful world catapulted into brutal face-plants because the story gets compressed to complete obtusity.

But it seems like Lookouts or Sand the cowboy time adventure was something they really wanted to do, but they its less commercially viable for them to pursue that kind of project so in the meantime their whole enterprise seems kind of chafed and gnashing its teeth impotently.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:54 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Countertangent: as pennies have been eliminated in Canada, future generations will be confused why that word is in the title.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:57 PM
ancient ceramic artifact

I miss monica Ray "Phuzzy comics"
Now she updates once every blue moon
Since she became the trenches new artist
I know that it pays her bills and its a great opportunity
For her but I still miss Phuzzy comics

About lookouts I liked the print version
That is drawn and written by someone else
But the web version is a mess
Sometimes is hard to understand what the hell is going on
Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Wait, what'd they do now that it deserves its own thread? Was there an ill-thought followup to the four-jobs-in-one post?
Nothing. Dudes in webcomics were like PENNY ARCADE PENNY ARCADE PENNY ARCADE and other dudes were like yo I wanna talk about stuff that's not penny arcade.

Also everything is worth its own thread because it's a forum I mean seriously.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther, an Otter View Post
reverse-phantom counter-tangent Trenches sucks cause of Penny Arcade. [etc etc]
The problems of Scott Kurtz are not the same as the problems of Mike/Jerry. Scott is pathologically unable to restrict himself to one project at a time, and while whichever one he is enamored with will do fairly well, all the rest of his work suffers enormously while his attention is divided. Since he started up the Trenches and Table Titans, PVP has been indescribably lazy, using the easiest, most obvious jokes he can possibly make and putting little to no effort into the drawings. Or at least, that's how it was when I stopped reading it again a few months back. And Trenches is simply the result of three artists who all have better things to do shitting out something because they said they would and whose pride apparently won't allow them to just mercy kill the damn thing. I've always maintained that Kurtz is a talented guy, deep down. The best PVP arcs are funny, well-written and even touching, and anyone who saw his "guest week" from about 10 years ago knows the guy is a really flexible artist who can ape any style. The problem is that he just can't focus on one project and consistently bring his A-game to it, and his B-game is C-tier at best. It's possible that Table Titans is a decent comic, since it's what is getting most of his attention right now, but I don't like role-playing games enough to follow the comic regularly.

As for the PA guys, their problem is that they don't have the attention span for longer projects. Once or twice a year they'll break out some sort of "great work" that spans all of maybe 8 comics, and if you read the news posts you'll see they are clearly exhausted by the time they end. 8 pages does not a long comic make, so these things always wind up turning into story arclets that don't give the reader long enough to really get into the world they've made. The Lookouts comics suffered from being nearly incomprehensible at times, because in Jerry's mind that's like an 800-page novel and he thinks he has successfully communicated a bunch of story points and world building that flies by too quickly for people to parse. It might take them 3 weeks to put one of those together, but it takes about 2 minutes to read the whole thing once it's done. I'd like to see more of those other worlds, and I honestly don't give a damn if they have to abandon their news-of-the-week gag strips for months at a time to make that happen. But it seems like they're afraid the readership will desert them if they change course like that - or else maybe they don't actually want to give up the gag-a-day stuff.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Love and Peace

I stopped reading PA completely after the performance at PAX that proved that they have never learned anything from anything and that they never will, so I can't say anything about their most recent strips. I think I can fairly say that the best of their work is long past, though. A genuinely laugh out loud funny PA has been a "sometimes thing" for years now, as opposed to back in the day, where they were consistently funny once they hit their stride.

The Trenches is a completely unfunny and plodding waste of a premise (and a complete waste of a way to possibly affect change in a shitty industry full of shitty practices, though to be fair that was never promoted as a feature of Trenches), so I hope that Monica and Ty are being paid handsomely for what is probably a shitty job to have. BETTER THAN THEIR IT SLAVE AM I RIGHT? LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 12-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Find Your Reason

Wait, where's it say that Monica Ray is drawing this? The comics themselves are stamped with J&M&K as the "authors," and the About page has a different artist, Mary Cagle.

And on that note, this is my first time visiting that comic (I only went there because of the above comments) and I think it's pretty lousy of the three men to sign each strip with their copyright, and only acknowledge, oh yeah, the artist herself, in an About page that relatively few people would bother looking at.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
So the signatory "authors" of the strip are now contributing nothing at all.
Just like in a REAL comic.

Tags
didn't read but hate it , i have all the games , penny arcade , webcomic