The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I've been waiting so long for Thanos and I think the wait is going to be worth it
Old 11-29-2017, 06:43 AM
Penalty Box

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO
Default WHO THE FUCK IS JOHSH BROLIN

We have been waiting literally half a decade.

I think during that half-decade Thanos has had... four lines?

Maybe five. I can't remember how many times he spoke in guardians 1.

Last edited by BEAT; 11-29-2017 at 06:45 AM. Reason: I'VE HEARD THAT NAME BEFORE BUT I HAVE LITERALLY NO IDEA WHERE.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:51 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Josh Brolin:

Good actor.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Banned

I checked his wikipedia page and it blew my mind that he was in Thrashin', the movie I was afraid to rent.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Alliance Alive

Pronouns: he / his

So giddy
Old 11-29-2017, 06:57 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Why didn't they just get Ron Pearlman to play Thanos? Like, just, do him up in purple makeup and have him Stomp around like SUP MOTHERFUCKERS I'M THANOS NOW

I have literally no problem believing that Ron Pearlman wearing silly purple makeup could kill the hulk with his bare hands.

Ron Pearlman is a gift. A blessing.
Too old for 10 years of sequels?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:07 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

Interesting but potentially meaningless: The official cast listing of this movie has Brolin right at the top, second only to RDJ. Note that there are a fucking thousand other characters packed into this. I really hope he gets to be a legit *character* in this, not just stomp around be all "dawn of a new era" like whatever Oscar Isaac was made to do as Apocalypse.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
I really hope he gets to be a legit *character* in this, not just stomp around be all "dawn of a new era" like whatever Oscar Isaac was made to do as Apocalypse.
I don't think you need to worry about Marvel Villain Syndrome in this case:

Quote:
On choosing to portray Thanos, Brolin said that his "good friend" Marvel Studios co-president Louis D'Esposito "called me up and started talking about this thing. It was nice because I could intimately talk to him about it. What I liked. What I didn't like about the whole idea of it... It was really exciting because of the possibilities that it could become. Not as an idea or as a blockbuster, but just as something different. It's a character mentality."[9] Brolin was looking to explore the humanity of the character.[10] Producer Kevin Feige talked about the character's role in Infinity War, saying that "in a movie that has a lot of characters, you could almost go so far as to say he is the main character, and that’s a bit of a departure from what we've done before [with other villains], but that was appropriate for" this film.[11] He also said that Thanos would have similar motivations in the film to those he had in the "Infinity Gauntlet" storyline from the comics.[12] Joe Russo would reference The Godfather for Brolin at times, which Brolin felt helped "to emotionalize the whole thing."[13]
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

I'm all in for Brandon Walsh kicking the Avengers' collective butt.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:12 AM
120 Days

Can Thor join GOTG?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:16 AM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Too old for 10 years of sequels?
Stallone's 71 and he's prolly gonna be in the next few Guardians Movies.

Plus I figure Thanos will only be around for like, this and maybe one more movie.

Is it a spoiler to say that I think the bad guy in a superhero franchise is probably going to lose?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Thanos looks goofy enough in CG that putting a big gold hat on him might have crossed into high camp.

e: Looks like fun, but I weary of the "single piano note" cue in trailers. Big "everyone runs at each other" battle shots too.
The big CG shots are started before the script is even final, and early trailers have to work with the footage available. I think the note cues are just cruise control for putting a bunch of short, disparate clips together.

It wounds me to think that kids will grow up thinking Darkseid is a knock-off of Thanos. (Not my kids, of course)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Stallone's 71 and he's prolly gonna be in the next few Guardians Movies.

Plus I figure Thanos will only be around for like, this and maybe one more movie.

Is it a spoiler to say that I think the bad guy in a superhero franchise is probably going to lose?
Brolin is great though. I've seen enough Ron Perlman as Ron Perlman as Hellboy.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 AM
whatever it takes

This trailer is awesome, but I wish it had the scene from the end of the SDCC exclusive trailer, described as Thanos using the Gauntlet to pull a moon out of orbit and throw it at the Avengers. That would have been cool to see.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
The big CG shots are started before the script is even final, and early trailers have to work with the footage available. I think the note cues are just cruise control for putting a bunch of short, disparate clips together.

It wounds me to think that kids will grow up thinking Darkseid is a knock-off of Thanos. (Not my kids, of course)
I think that DCEU, should it continue, should actually avoid Darkseid as a big bad.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I think trailers should be just cool enough to sell the movie, without blowing the best bits. Gotta save some ammo.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Obviously the Infinity Gauntlet is a big part of it but they're also clearly taking influence from Hickman's Infinity event. I dig it.
Was Infinity any good? It came out shortly after the absolutely vomitive Thanos Rising origin story, and the idea of Thanos having a Legion of Doom of his own chafed with my interpretation of the character, so I skipped it.

Quote:
Why didn't they just get Ron Pearlman to play Thanos? Like, just, do him up in purple makeup and have him Stomp around like SUP MOTHERFUCKERS I'M THANOS NOW
Honestly? I like Brolin in everything his been in, but I was disappointed to hear him as the Big Ol' Prune because he doesn't even resemble the voice I imagined in my head since I was a wee 'un. Perlman would've been a much better choice, or even the guy who voices him in the cartoon. But I'll give Brolin a shot.

Quote:
Thanos didn't win, but he didn't lose either in the Infinity Gauntlet comic

Then again, he had had a decade or two to grow as a character by then, and comic books hardly ever kill off villains (especially good ones). Neither of which is the case in comic book movies. So I'm personally rooting for a "turned to stone" or "flung into the depths of the Soul Gem" ending that finalizes this arc but allows a comeback story.

(Please please Disney buy Fox so we can get Annihilation and Thanos Imperative.)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Haha yeah. It is funny to think about how Thanos is quite literally a Darkseid ripoff. They looked at Darkseid and said "let's put him in our comics too."

The upshot is that I have a favorite villain in both universes
Old 11-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Brolin is great though. I've seen enough Ron Perlman as Ron Perlman as Hellboy.
Oh Totally. now that I've looked up who Brolin is I'm 100% onboard.

I just really like Ron Pearlman.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I don't think you need to worry about Marvel Villain Syndrome in this case:
This.... does put a smile on my face.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Was Infinity any good? It came out shortly after the absolutely vomitive Thanos Rising origin story, and the idea of Thanos having a Legion of Doom of his own chafed with my interpretation of the character, so I skipped it.
I think it's good.

It's not really a Thanos story, or at least it doesn't start as one. The Avengers are distracted by an off-planet threat that arose in the issues leading up to it, and he shows up on earth when it's relatively undefended.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:36 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Haha yeah. It is funny to think about how Thanos is quite literally a Darkseid ripoff. They looked at Darkseid and said "let's put him in our comics too."

The upshot is that I have a favorite villain in both universes
Can you recommend Darkseid comics where he gets to be the main character, and therefore is allowed to get as philosophical and surreal as Thanos in his prime?

The only one I know of that comes close is Final Crisis, and that was still the heroes' show for the most part (whereas Thanos gets all the glory in stuff like The End or the recent Infinity Revelation/Entity/Relativity/Finale mini-event.)
Old 11-29-2017, 07:42 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Quote:
Can you recommend Darkseid comics where he gets to be the main character, and therefore is allowed to get as philosophical and surreal as Thanos in his prime?

The only one I know of that comes close is Final Crisis, and that was still the heroes' show for the most part (whereas Thanos gets all the glory in stuff like The End or the recent Infinity Revelation/Entity/Relativity/Finale mini-event.)
Nope! Because 100% of my Darkseid love comes from the DCAU.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 AM

Infinity was kinda meh, too many plot lines going on at once. You had the Space Avengers war going on, Secret Wars excursions happening, and some Inhuman bullshit going on that no one cared about until Brand New Character comes out of nowhere to stop Thanos For Good and Forever (or until someone wanted to use him again in 9 months) and then BNC went away for a bit and showed up in one more story only to disappear forever because he was a lame ass, boring non-entity.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 AM
Penalty Box

The Darkseid/Thanos/Marvel/DC connection gets even weirder when you realize that Darkseid was kind of secretly a marvel character.

Quote:
I mentioned comic book legend Jack Kirby before, and how he hated Marvel with the passion of a million Galactus farts. One of his problems was that he wasn't getting enough credit for the mountain of popular superheroes he created for the company, so in 1970 he jumped ship to DC Comics and splurted out a whole bunch of completely new and original characters for them -- including one of comics' most formidable villains, Darkseid.

Wait, did I say "completely new and original" characters? Because that, ah, depends on your definition of those words. You see, while he was still at Marvel, Kirby did a series of short stories called Tales of Asgard, in which he fleshed out the Norse gods in Thor's supporting cast, as well as the magical world they lived in. Stan Lee didn't give much of a fuck at this point and let Kirby do whatever he wanted -- so Kirby killed everyone.

It was only a "prophecy" based on the Norse legend of Ragnarok (the final duke out between all the gods), but still, this got Kirby thinking: wouldn't it be cool to brutally murder all the characters, including Thor, and replace them with new ones? Kirby even included a line in his prophecy about a "young, new race of gods" that would rise from Asgard's ashes. This what they looked like:

In 1966, Kirby went to Stan Lee with the idea of mass killing a bunch of profitable superheroes, and Lee presumably still hasn't stopped laughing. Kirby put his "new gods" concept aside, but four years later he moved to DC and started a series called ... New Gods. Which, what do you know, opens with an epic final duke out between a race of suspiciously familiar looking characters. Check out the dude with the hammer here ...

... whose winged helmet is seen again in a later issue when one of the characters is exploring the ruins of the old, lame gods. Look familiar

But Kirby put in another, sneakier connection between his old and new work: most readers (and future writers) assumed the planet of the New Gods existed in the DC Universe, but the only way to get there was through a "Boom Tube" -- a hole in reality that Kirby described as a "dimensional bridge." In fact, he kept referring to the New Gods as living in another dimension ... a place where Thor existed, where everyone wears ridiculous headgear, and where cosmic beings fly around using sporting goods ...

Yep, Jack Kirby was writing a comic set in the Marvel Universe and publishing it at DC. And he killed like 200 characters in the first issue. Just when I thought Cracked had already published the weirdest sentence about that guy, he keeps surprising us.
[SOURCE]
Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I mean, the first line in New Gods is “There Came a Day when the Old Gods Died”.

Jack was a great many things, but if he ever heard of the word “subtlety”, then he hid it well.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:07 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

DARKSEID IS THE PHILOSOPHY FORCE AT THE CORE OF ALL THINGS.

Okay, that might not be the most real example. But, ya know, Darkseid Minus New Gods. 4thletter.net/2009/06/and-now-darkseid-minus-new-gods
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Well now it's Starlin Vs Kirby... so
Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Does Happyland count?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Infinity was kinda meh, too many plot lines going on at once. You had the Space Avengers war going on, Secret Wars excursions happening, and some Inhuman bullshit going on that no one cared about until Brand New Character comes out of nowhere to stop Thanos For Good and Forever (or until someone wanted to use him again in 9 months) and then BNC went away for a bit and showed up in one more story only to disappear forever because he was a lame ass, boring non-entity.
Pretty much every event has too much going on, I thought Hickman handled it better than most do. But yeah, it's not perfect.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo