The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-10-2016, 03:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
It's 100% serious, I did not sign up for 'let's shame people for voting for the wrong games."

If it would be more work to remove my list at this point just leave it as is because I don't want to make anyone do extra work, but at this point I feel like the list is being used to make fun of people which I'm not on-board with.
Yes, I spent half an hour writing a post and even asked my friend to spend HIS time drawing a header and it's to shame people. Right.

I think you're only trying to shut us down because I called you out on being a creep in the heroines thread. Nobody could actually be as dense as you're pretending to be right now.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:56 AM
Not much of a donkey

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm not trying to shut you down at all. Let that be very clear.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
I'm not trying to shut you down at all. Let that be very clear.
Then you should try to enjoy the thread. We discussed the topic of shaming (and you, specifically) ahead of time and we know what we want to do. If you simply find that you can't get the joke, then I don't know what to tell you. Get smarter? Become more insightful? Not everything is a veiled insult and not everyone is out to get you.

Tomorrow we're going to talk about some other interesting title that people voted for so get your Quest 64 cards out where we can see 'em, people. It's time to shine for Imagineer's little trailblazer that could.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:11 AM
everyone's connected

Shame doesn't factor into this at all.

Some JRPGs are pretty much universally beloved, and others are, by and large, overlooked. That can be for various reasons, but when one game gets 40+votes, and another gets maybe one or two, it's interesting to look into why the latter might be appealing to somebody.

This is a celebration of JRPGs, good and bad.

If Quest 64 is your favourite game ever, I think that's awesome! But if it is, then you know the reputation it has, and can hopefully laugh along.

Now let's all just have fun together. None of us here deserves to be ashamed, and popular choices are every bit as valid as the more unexpected ones.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:57 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

These are just honorable mentions with a different tone. I didn't get around to submitting a list, but I'm reasonably sure it would have been 60% joke entries if I had. Probably would have had Troll 4 on it. Troll 4 isn't even a video game, it's a movie that is definitely real and exists.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
These are just honorable mentions with a different tone. I didn't get around to submitting a list, but I'm reasonably sure it would have been 60% joke entries if I had. Probably would have had Troll 4 on it. Troll 4 isn't even a video game, it's a movie that is definitely real and exists.
(You still have time!)
Old 05-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
(You still have time!)
!!!!!!!!!!

time to go look at worst rpg racing game lists
Old 05-10-2016, 06:18 AM
Funko Superfan

I haven't played it but I imagine that Quest 64 isn't awful (every game is good after all), lord knows there's similar low-budget, low-impact PSX RPGS (Guardian's Crusade leaps to mind) from the era. But it was doomed by circumstance. SNES was the RPG machine and for kids who stuck with Nintendo instead of jumping ship with Square I'm sure felt like loyalties were betrayed. It's hard to imagine what RPG, if released on the N64, would make up for the PSX bounty.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Box art has a character.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
SNES was the RPG machine and for kids who stuck with Nintendo instead of jumping ship with Square I'm sure felt like loyalties were betrayed.
While reflecting on my life on the way back from the gym this evening, I realized that thanks to my taking on a massive amount of student loan debt at age 18, the moment before I handed the cashier my money for my N64 at age 11 represents the moment my personal net worth plummeted from its highest-ever peak.

So, yeah. A little betrayed. Just a tad.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:28 AM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

Ogre Battle 64 tried its damnedest to make it up, as did Paper Mario, but two games do not a great RPG library make. Especially in contrast to the PS1.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:28 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Having played both Guardian's Crusade and Quest 64, Guardian's Crusade is really charming and cute!

Quest 64 could have been a really great game, but the balance is just off somewhere in space. Apply a couple (insanely costly and time-consuming) fixes, and it would be fine. Like, roll all the non-magic stats into one big stat, make it possible to learn every spell, and vary what spells do far more. As it is, the way you can beat the game is to learn Water spells and Earth spells, and then that's it. Water gives you the healing spell, Earth gives you the literally-immune-to-damage-for-three-turns spell. You cast the damage immunity spell every two turns and then drop rocks on people's heads until they die. The healing spell is just there so you can make it to the point you learn the spell that makes you immortal so long as you're paying attention.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:29 AM
Phantastic Oil

I bought an N64 with the understanding that it would be the RPG system, based on the SNES library and the Final Fantasy Tech Demo. I held out until a friend came over and showed me Lunar:SSSC, and then never looked back.

Quote:
Ogre Battle 64
I forgot about that one! I played the shit out of that. The only N64 RPG that I actually owned, since I wouldn't discover Paper Mario until years later on the virtual console.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I bought an N64 with the understanding that it would be the RPG system, based on the SNES library and the Final Fantasy Tech Demo.
;_; How... how did you survive?!?!
Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Quote:
(You still have time!)

i'm history's greatest liar

i promise the first draft had Daytona USA on it
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Having played both Guardian's Crusade and Quest 64, Guardian's Crusade is really charming and cute!

Quest 64 could have been a really great game, but the balance is just off somewhere in space.
Guardian's Crusade was a peach, I wish I hadn't sold it.

Wikipedia says THQ felt that Quest 64 was too short so they added encounters for the US release, but that doesn't sound like it affected the balance issues you're talking about.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
the game was praised for its cutting-edge graphics (polygons, people! It had polygons!) and unique spellcasting system.
This is why the GBC version was better (still not great, but I did actually beat it): the spellcasting system is actually pretty cool, but the early 3D is a bit cumbersome.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Guardian's Crusade was a peach, I wish I hadn't sold it.

Wikipedia says THQ felt that Quest 64 was too short so they added encounters for the US release, but that doesn't sound like it affected the balance issues you're talking about.
You level up your stats by using them. For instance: you level up your agility by walking around. If you rubber band the analog stick in place so you're walking in a circle, and leave the game like that in a town for 24 hours, when you return, your agility will not be maxed out.

You can only raise your max HP by using the melee attack (which deals miniscule amounts of damage) or getting hit in the face. You can only raise your defense by getting hit in the face.

If the game only had HP, MP, and your spell levels, and HP just increased every time you got a point in a spell level, I think it would be remembered as a somewhat simple classic.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Funko Superfan

Ooooohhhh, so it's a Kawazu game.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

It's an early Kawazu game. By SaGa Frontier, you were getting stat increases based on what attacks you used, not what happened to you.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Ooooohhhh, so it's a Kawazu game.
Without the crazy beautiful visual and aural art they usually come wrapped in.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:07 AM
King Of Space-Time

I remember seeing Quest 64 on store shelves many times and wondering if it was worth a look. But I could never find any write ups and I wasn't willing to risk the money.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Funko Superfan

Anyway, world record is just under two hours.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM
...we're shy.

I had an N64 before I got a Playstation, but even in my darkest hours I didn't play Quest64. One of my friends had rented it, beat it over the weekend and claimed it wasn't worth anyone's time, and I've followed that advice ever since.

Out of the tiny pool of N64 JRPGs, I guess the only one I ever played to completion was Paper Mario. I tried Ogre Battle, but by the time it and Ayden Chronicles had come out I was so deep into the PSX that there was no going back.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 AM
Funko Superfan

Not an RPG, but Shadowgate 64 is pretty cool.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:27 AM
...we're shy.

Quote:
Not an RPG, but Shadowgate 64 is pretty cool.
Oh yeah! I really enjoyed that one, but sold it along with a bunch of other n64 games to help finance my PS2.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 AM
Phantastic Oil

I just sold my copy a few months ago! It was no NES Shadowgate, but it was still a good time. Very dreary, though.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

My neighbor had the game. I didn't enjoy it at the time but I think I'd find something to like about it now. It feels like one of those games that's unique enough that with a bit of tweaking could have been great (as some have suggested here already)
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 AM

I voted for Quest 64 too, #24 on my list (just one spot ahead of Dark Souls!). And only that last part was me being satirical. Quest 64 can be enjoyed for what it is, even if most will rightfully dislike it. Structurally the game is like a dungeon crawler. The engagement is very much at the level of surviving the random battles and not getting lost. I think that is really key to understanding the appeal. The number one thing people notice (and hate!) about Quest 64 is the lack luster presentation. But a straightforward game like Quest 64 was never going to be an epic RPG like FF7 even if you could bless it with the graphical budget and rich details that people wanted.

The magic system is fun to experiment with. You can deliberately try to play with different builds/different restrictions, or you can try to spread out your elements, or you can min-max it. And you get a lot of spells to play with. Spells are basically the fight command in this game, which is really saying something because the game does have a fight command too. How many RPGs encourage the same amount of variety in each run of the mill batttle? Really, this spell/level system is the main selling point. It rescues the entire game as the other systems offer little additional depth and no additional customization. As far as combat systems go, Quest 64 functions like Parasite Eve without an ATB (and one of those two games never gets credit for using this system).

The game has flaws even if we are discounting away the whole "but it's so simple for an RPG" criticism (not that we should discount it, but criticism rarely gets past this stage). If you don't like mazes, well you won't like a whole bunch of the dungeons. And if you aren't sufficiently equipped to trade hits with a boss, then 8 times out of 10 the fight feels unfair because they didn't put enough thought into giving you reliable dodging options. Ordinary battles also get progressively more precarious in the last third of the game (I think the game suddenly expects you to level up more than you would just taking the critical path). It makes the combat tedious since you have to play more conservatively and heal constantly (often healing 1 hit away from death).

So where should Quest 64 be placed in the grand scheme of things? Well, in a democratically chosen list it doesn't really deserve to crack the top 50. Quest 64 gets crowded out. There are so many other conventional JRPGs with conventional flaws made from more popular molds. But that's also probably why Quest 64 DOES deserve to make it on at least a few individual lists for top 25.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Nothing is more powerful

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

I included at least three entries on my list for the sole purpose of eliciting public shaming, so this is fine. For the record: Dragon Quest VIII, Earthbound, and Shin Megami Tensei III.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , bafflingly ad-hoc , blunt criticism , cloud computing , dragon quest is overrated , final fantasy , keyboard vomit from beat , l i t t l e m o n e y , loki likes all games , magic emperor ghaleon , math for victory , nitpicking , nostalgia , number piñatas , press turn is best turn , quest 64 is best 64 , really poor game , rpg , rpg maker , science? , the world is square , top 50 countdown , umaro body pillow , what's all this racket , xenogears is rpg #1