The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdn42 View Post
Princess Crown: probably the only RPG fully in Japanese that I've finished (which include Grandia, which I didn't get much farther than where the online translation by Feena and friends was at the time). I could only half figure out the story using my basic Japanese and some dictionaries, but I know there were some parts that moved me. What seemed like might be the final boss wasn't, but just another person caught up in the events. Shame it was never brought here, considering that it was ported to the PSP later.

Here's a video of the first dragon fight (starts at 1:12), which is about 2-3 hours in. Shows off a lot of the loving touches put into the game:
I don't know that this looks fun to play, but it does look fascinating. Is every fight such a long, involved affair?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:01 PM

^Yeah, that looks pretty great. Looks a lot like Swordcraft Story's battle system, and I really dig the system in that one. Although yeah, that dragon's not your standard random encounter....right?
Old 06-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Wet

Pronouns: He/Him

Great list, rkdn. I played Princess Crown a few years back on PSP using a translation I found online. Kind of a ridiculous way to play a game, but I got through it and enjoyed it.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
^Yeah, that looks pretty great. Looks a lot like Swordcraft Story's battle system, and I really dig the system in that one. Although yeah, that dragon's not your standard random encounter....right?
It is not. Dragons are capitol D Dragons in Princess Crown. You have to be rescued from one, as Gradriel tries too hard to be like her mom too quick and gets in over her head.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Princess Crown looks like an insane combination of action and menu-based interfaces. In that video... is she using a menu command to dodge? It seems like insanity, but also intriguing. Also picking up dropped items mid-fight.

I remember playing some of Magic Knights RayEarth off the SFC cart using minimal Japanese knowledge. Thankfully the game's aimed at grade-schoolers so I could make some progress, though I don't remember whether I ever finished it. In my vague memory it was pretty delightful, if fairly standard.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:08 AM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Princess Crown looks like an insane combination of action and menu-based interfaces. In that video... is she using a menu command to dodge?
There's a dodge button. How else would the game know which direction you want to dodge? There is no other possible way to implement that.

for real, though, it's super charming

Anyway, here's where I plug UnPlayedAThing and his run of Princess Crown in which he attempts to explain the plot as he plays as best he can.

also the fantranslation is getting tantalizingly close
i fully expect to see someone posting about finally playing it in english in the Like What You're Playing thread in three or four years
Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Haven't been around, so some parting comments on the final five.

FF7: I hated this game for many years. Overrated, ruined the series, etc etc you know how it goes. Funny thing is, I sat down and played it again a few years back, and I actually loved it. In retrospect it is far more like its predecessors then it is any of its successors, including FF9.

FF4: Cecil and Kain marching side-by-side out of Baron to the opening strings of the Prologue is the quintessential, defining moment of the series. It IS Final Fantasy.

Earthbound: I have not played Earthbound.

FF6: Final Fantasy VI is the greatest game ever made. It has the greatest cast, villain, soundtrack, and probably the most satisfying and complete ending. For my money, the scene in Daryl's Tomb trumps even the Opera for best scene

The melancholy rearrangement of Setzer's theme as he takes the party down the long stairway, his own recollections, memories, and inner monologue passing by in the background, culminating the the Falcon rising out of the water to Searching for Friends (incidentally the greatest song in the series, didn't you know). The execution isn't perfect, it certainly isn't deep, but dang if they didn't do a phenomenal job with what they had.

CT: CT's place on this list is well-deserved, even if there are several games I like more. For all the parties involved it's a masterwork that has never quite been duplicated, and I'm not sure ever will be.

I didn't vote, but thanks for running this list. It's been a fun read.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Oh were we supposed to post our lists? Okay sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT
  1. Skies of Arcadia (Legends) - Dreamcast/Gamecube
  2. Terranigma - Super Nintendo
  3. Phantasy Star 4 - Genesis
  4. Radiant Historia - DS
  5. Crono Trigger - DS
  6. Final Fantasy 7 - Playstation
  7. Undertale - PC
  8. Phantasy Star 2 - Genesis
  9. Tales of Symphonia? I guess? - Gamecube - I mean I beat it but... ehhhh...
  10. Uhhhhh... - Hmmmmmm...
  11. IDFK - WTFEVER
  12. OH WAIT!!1 - HOLY SHIT I ALMOST FORGOT!
  13. BLUEHAIR AND ORPHAN GIRL'S BIG DAY OUT! - EVERYTHING EVER

Why yes it is extremely important my list still contain The fantastic Games "Uhhhhhh..." "IDFK" "OH WAIT!!1" and BLUE HAIR AND ORPHAN GIRL'S BIG DAY OUT.

I mean obviously.
Hooray Blue Hair and Orphan Girl's Big Day out!

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , bafflingly ad-hoc , blunt criticism , cloud computing , dragon quest is overrated , final fantasy , keyboard vomit from beat , l i t t l e m o n e y , loki likes all games , magic emperor ghaleon , math for victory , nitpicking , nostalgia , number piñatas , press turn is best turn , quest 64 is best 64 , really poor game , rpg , rpg maker , science? , the world is square , top 50 countdown , umaro body pillow , what's all this racket , xenogears is rpg #1