The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 12-23-2017, 10:09 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I dreamed I was having lunch at a Mexican restaurant and was wearing a brand-new jacket. I spilled some enchilada sauce on myself and I thought, no biggie; I'll just wash the jacket when I get home.

I got home and took the jacket off and the tag said Dry Clean Only.
So you were having a nightmare that you were in the Alanis Morissette song "Ironic"?
Old 12-23-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Warning, dreams are stupid and lose their plot very easily. You skipping these first two paragraphs won't let you miss WHY I HAD TO write this down.
I’m still cackling about this incredible experience you shared with us. Thank u.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I dreamed that I was going to the theater to see Coco, because someone had mentioned here on TT that the Olaf cartoon was no longer being shown with it. But when the theater darkened and the projector started up, it was Olaf on-screen! And not only did I have to sit through that cartoon, but afterwards they announced that the theater had received the wrong film reel* and they were going to show Frozen instead. People got up and started leaving, myself included. I woke up before I could get a refund for my ticket.

* Yes, I know there's no film reels anymore. But I used to work at a theater in the pre-digital age so that's what I always envision.
I also love this. Dream logic taking the path of least resistance to something kinda plausible.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Safe Space

Last night, I dreamed that I was a substitute teacher at a private school. One student asked me why Hillary Clinton wasn't president, and I wearily went through all the various factors at play leading into the election.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Last night, I dreamed that I was a substitute teacher at a private school. One student asked me why Hillary Clinton wasn't president, and I wearily went through all the various factors at play leading into the election.
I much preferred your dream from last year.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Safe Space

Me too.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:39 AM

So I am in a random town in Indiana somewhat northwest of me. (that’s all I know) Interviewing for a job as newscaster at STV,* Switzerland’s public broadcaster, of all fucking things. (ed. note: it’s because I saw a tweet about it) (we’re coming back to that tweet later)

Fox News is playing all over the station and I ask why. The guy, (there’s a guy) mad at my question, explains, “viewpoint diversity!” Well, okay then.

The interview: I have to read off what passes for a dream teleprompter. Low on the ground, but I’m sitting down in a chair so it doesn’t matter. (just letting you know) A very dream thing happens where every time I look at the words they change, because my mind isn’t keeping track of this specific shit. (at no point do I realize I’m dreaming) Lots of difficult to pronounce made up words and phrases. Also I have a nerd-ass voice and am not qualified for this job.

Three more interviewees come in, two of them seemingly pure dream concoctions and one of them a RL crush. They start vaguely shouting at the teleprompter with me and talking amongst themselves. The test ends quickly. I have by far said the most. The results are in. (how?) I placed 3/4. I can’t deny that the two who did better than me have better voices and are telegenic, but like this seems like a bad test. I 👏 did 👏 better 👏 than 👏 my 👏 crush.

The two who did best talk to each other and I’m jealous. The interviewer says that even though I placed third I also “set records” for pronouncing some of this shit correctly. Congratulations!

I’m not sure what else happens, but I end the dream telling someone (the interviewer?) that fuck this, Swiss voters are gonna 👏 end 👏 this 👏 channel. Just as the tweet prophesied!

*It’s not STV IRL, but within the dream, ‘twas
Old 12-28-2017, 03:42 AM

Oh, and yes, Switzerland’s public broadcaster definitely had a random local channel in rural Indiana, which I knew within that nobody here watched. Honestly, Switzerland’s rich and it’s bad that foreign news bureaus are disappearing, but I can see why voters would be skeptical of that.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Default "Dear Michael"

I was reading a magical realism book about a magician who adventured with his toddler Lone Wolf and Cub style. The entire book was written as letters from the magic user to his now older (but still not even a teenager) son, so it was very good about emphasizing the good parts of the adventures - the comradeship, helping others, etc - while downplaying the dangers. Through it all was a very wistful certainty that the kid had gotten these letters because something had happened to the father and he had to leave his son to be raised by non-magicians, and the father wanted to emphasize three things:

First that the son had been loved;

Secondly that magic does exist;

And third that the strange memories the boy might have of things like the narrow house with the broken ghost behind the door or his "uncle's" home carpeted with live grass were real memories and not to let anyone convince him otherwise.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
\
Fox News is playing all over the station and I ask why. The guy, (there’s a guy) mad at my question, explains, “viewpoint diversity!” Well, okay then.
This feels too real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I was reading a magical realism book about a magician who adventured with his toddler Lone Wolf and Cub style. The entire book was written as letters from the magic user to his now older (but still not even a teenager) son, so it was very good about emphasizing the good parts of the adventures - the comradeship, helping others, etc - while downplaying the dangers. Through it all was a very wistful certainty that the kid had gotten these letters because something had happened to the father and he had to leave his son to be raised by non-magicians, and the father wanted to emphasize three things:

First that the son had been loved;

Secondly that magic does exist;

And third that the strange memories the boy might have of things like the narrow house with the broken ghost behind the door or his "uncle's" home carpeted with live grass were real memories and not to let anyone convince him otherwise.
Look, you don't have to make up a dream to justify your book pitch. I'm sold already.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Family Man

I had a terrifying nightmare last night that was briefly interrupted by finding two toy penguins in a drawer that came alive and performed a figure skating routine with sweeping camera work.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 PM

Remember some of last night's dream:

I sleep drive (!) to a random place. Because I am still sleepy and it's dangerous to drive OR because I am too embarrassed to explain what I've done to the cops or my parents; (huh) I stay in a hotel. There is a serial killer who is after me now and I am once again (sure this has happened before) Piper Chapman from Orange is the New Black. Or just played by Taylor Schilling.

I'm hiding in the grass behind the serial killer. He cuts out family's eyes and threads their sockets together with... thread. (I know I stole part of this from Red Dragon or whatever) He drives away, but actually, he knew I was watching him. On the other side of my car, I see he's destroyed my camera, the bastard. (I had a camera; news to me)

Back at the hotel, I start binge-watching The Crown. Then I become The Crown. (Queen Elizabeth?)

IRL notes for context: I think the hotel thing is related to me staying in a hotel a few weeks ago because the weather was bad. Yesterday, the weather was also bad, so I left work early. Because I was anticipating leaving work early, I didn't get much sleep the night before because it was kind of like Christmas; love to leave work. I slept for 16 hours like a cat. (occasional interruptions due to the power going out a lot, waking me up) So sleep deprivation and hotels were on my mind.

I watched part of season 1 of The Crown last year. People talked about season 2 recently. I have no urge to revisit the series. It was fine; so is everything.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Safe Space

I was visiting a friend I've known since high school, but he was living with his mom somewhat north of me in the city instead of where he is now. He had a lot of mint-on-card Ninja Turtle figures on display in his room.

We were hanging out and talking and stuff, and another one of his friends (whom I'm pretty sure didn't exist) came over, a pale guy with long stringy hair, and he started messing around in the backyard and disturbing my friend's mom.

I went to confront him as my friend's mom was leaving, and I saw something moving around on the rooftops. It got closer and I saw it was a werewolf, and I knew that it was going to attack my friend's mom. I ran after her and managed to push her out the gate just as the werewolf landed. I screamed for her to run and everything went sort of detached as the werewolf sank its terrible fangs into me.

But then I felt myself transforming into a werewolf as well; not by the bite, but by instinct, and I felt myself blacking out as I fought with all my savage might.

When I came to, everyone was organizing my friend's room. I asked if I could have the figures he was throwing out and he said sure.
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I dreamt that I was just hanging out with two of my old buddies who moved away. It was a really nice dream. They were my best friends in junior high, and we remained friends through all of high school and university. Then I woke up and the reality slowly settled in that they were home for like 2 weeks over the holidays and didn't bother to return my e-mails setting up a time to see each other past the first "we'll be in touch". :-(
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

I’m sorry JBear.

This was really stupid, but I’ve been playing Skyrim, so I dreamt I was in a first world setting (“much like real life” u might wrongly think) only it wasn’t a fantasy world. I was just like at a holiday gathering (ambiguously not my family’s) and also I had a mission to steal shit, which I didn’t even want to do, but had to. My sneak skill was bad (Skyrim baby) so I kept having to re-load. There was a cat.

Some other, unrelated parts of the dream: I’m stopped from going to work because there’s random construction totally blocking the road. Good dream! Evocative!

Tags
dreams , physiology , psychology , sleep