The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-02-2017, 04:27 PM
100% All Original

(I have never watched Utena.)
Old 12-02-2017, 04:40 PM

I have some extremely gay news for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQF...0Tp_wiQy0FcjLl
It's on the youtube.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
(I have never watched Utena.)
You really should very much watch Utena, but if you want to just know why that was creepy, the guy the video implies she's leaving Utena for is her brother. Not that much of that creepiness isn't in the show already, but somehow the song makes it worse.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:08 PM
oh my car

After this, one million years hiatus. You heard it here first, folks: the take hotter than a nuclear fireball
Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Are You Sure About That?

That is 100% a Leiji Matsumoto poster.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Video Monster

"Stranded" will feature none of the characters in the poster and instead will be a Ronaldo double feature
Old 01-03-2018, 02:22 PM
oh my car

I believe one of the episodes is "Lars of the Stars," whose preview was seen at some convention or other many months ago. I think the Leiji Matsumoto references are just beginning.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Starts with your heart

If their Harlock analogue doesn't have a wrecked John Wayne accent then they are deeply false.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
If their Harlock analogue doesn't have a wrecked John Wayne accent then they are deeply false.
The Harlock analog is going to be Lars. (Not a joke spoiler)

You missed some real shit in your time away from the show, Ample.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I have always envisioned Harlock, as befits a Man in Black, sounding like Johnny Cash.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I have always envisioned Harlock, as befits a Man in Black, sounding like Johnny Cash.
That is much more fitting, but I was making a dim reference to the Corman dub of 999.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
You missed some real shit in your time away from the show, Ample.
I don't regret stepping away, but I look forward to catching up.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Video Monster

Honestly with all the harm the bizarre release schedule does to this show's pacing, it's probably better to step away for a while and wait for a good chunk of content to be available.

I can't imagine what it was like to be a Gravity Falls fan during the show's actual run. I watched the whole thing at once and it must have been torture waiting for some of those second season eps to come around.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Starts with your heart

From what I've seen the wait-and-binge/block release model is in a feedback loop with the reign of the tv serial.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:31 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I can't imagine what it was like to be a Gravity Falls fan during the show's actual run. I watched the whole thing at once and it must have been torture waiting for some of those second season eps to come around.
Yes, yes it was.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:51 PM
oh my car

A week of programming that's 98% Teen Titans Go is harming all of Cartoon Network's other shows, Steven Universe included. However, I don't think that the scenario can be treated as typical of a wait-and-binge release model.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
A week of programming that's 98% Teen Titans Go is harming all of Cartoon Network's other shows, Steven Universe included. However, I don't think that the scenario can be treated as typical of a wait-and-binge release model.
I hope whoever wished on a monkey’s paw for more justice league cartoons is happy. It was probably Sven.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:54 PM
oh my car

Fuck, the "Stranded" two-parter was good. It is significant to me that Lars and Sadie both became much cooler and more confident almost immediately after they were separated.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 PM
oh my car

Like Garnet, Stevonnie has powers not shared by their constituent parts. And I don't just mean the flutter jump. Where Steven can enter others' dreams simultaneously while he is asleep, Stevonnie's dreams can meld into memories acquired from the nearby environment. This is the first time Stevonnie has slept, come to think of it. It started off by relating the memory to a memory of Connie's - Pink Diamond looking up to Yellow Diamond as an infant Connie did, curious and eager, to her own stern and busy mother.

Pink Diamond, then, had a childhood. This is something most other gems don't get to experience, but, of course, Amethyst did. She, too, is proof of the "humanity" of gems. That childish attitude is probably why she was so taken by humans that she put 'em in a zoo. Gem society doesn't have a concept of maturity or immaturity. The difference between the selfishness of a young child and the selfishness of a tyrant is much more in the perception than in the actual behavior. Did she have a chance to grow up much more before her assassination?

It's also interesting to me that Pink Diamond is short. Either there is some involuntary shapeshifting like on the Rubies' ship going on with the Diamonds, or else she's the only gem who has grown. Possibly that's the "natural" size of a Diamond, and Blue and Yellow scale themselves up with technology to symbolize how important they are. We should keep an eye out for clues.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:59 AM
oh my car

Lord have mercy, I'm speculatin' again.

This is our first look at Pink Diamond. Her diminutive stature seems to make her an off-color, a fact which was no doubt inconvenient for the Diamond Authority, who persecute those who are not physically flawless. Her existence was known to the public - they incorporated her color into their iconography - but she was kept out of affairs of state; Earth was to be her first colony and by that time all the other Diamonds had many more (White most of all).

We learned that this was frustrating and infuriating to her. A great deal of family pressure. This, I think, creates a motive for a particular interpretation of the current season's big mystery.

We know that Rose Quartz took credit for shattering Pink Diamond. We also know that the official story for how the assassination took place is impossible; Rose Quartz's sword, the murder weapon, cannot shatter a gem.

Perhaps what happened is Rose helped Pink fake her own death. Think of it: Pink finally gets her chance to prove herself to her sisters and makes a giant mess of things, a massive rebellion based on a dangerous ideology springing up right under her. In the eyes of the other Diamonds, that makes her a failure and an embarrassment twice over. She could not conform to the demands of her caste and it is a source of pain that she can see no end to. So why not leave it all behind? Helping someone reject the strictures of gem society in favor of pursuing self-determination is extremely in-character for Rose.

Then if Steven and Zircon manage to reveal the secret - that Pink Diamond is still alive and in hiding - that sets up the next conflict, in which the Diamonds try to find her, to be a personal and emotional one more than it is political and material. Steven would once again be poised to mediate. That fits with how the show goes a lot. So I feel comfortable guessing this may happen.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Not a Beer

Hmmm. Not a bad theory. Not completely sold, but it's plausible.

Anyway I just caught up on these episodes and holy shit they were great. I love the whole Harlock Lars crew and presentation. I can't believe nobody in here already gushed about the fact that they straight-up quoted A HUGE BATTLESHIP IS APPROACHING FAST with the exact iconography from... it's Darius right? Yeah. Nice.

But yeah, good lore to chew on in addition to space awesomeness.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:30 PM

Two things that kinda surprised me with the latest episode here-
Stevonnie needing to shave. That suggests a lot of time passing... or just crazy fast beard growth, because that does kinda come before food is an issue and having a dream. Guess I've been there.

Also was I the only one to get a Herculoids/Thundarr kinda vibe from the setting? The weird blobby bird thing and the shattered, well, planet in the sky. Less overt feeling on realizing I'm straight up combining two different shows in my head, but still.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 AM

I am pretty sure those spoiler'd shows were actually the same show.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 AM

Posting blind just to say that I started watching... nay, binging this show this Christmas. I'm past halfway the 2nd season and I'm freaking loving every minute of it.

I had already seen a few loose episodes from here and there in the Spanish TV channel that has all the CN shows, and was aware of a couple of big spoilers (the first episode I saw about Garnet's "thing" was Keystone Motel... XD and after that I caught Jailbreak two or three times -they seemed to only emit it without ever doing The Return first... - and even then I loved the whole "Stronger than you" scene), so I had a good idea of what I was getting into... and it still surprised me how good & incredibly well crafted it is.

I'm also reading the thread along as I advance and enjoying the discussion and analysis of the episodes a lot, as well as discovering awesome additional material such as the Gem Classroom shorts or Ronaldo's blog thanks to it.

So, that's it I guess, just wanted to say thanks, and I'll be returning when I get up date, probably.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Yay! Enjoy! I love this show because it's equal parts silly slice of life stuff and high stakes action adventure.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Highway To HFIL

Take your time in the waters of catching up, lest you find yourself, too soon, in the desert we call hiatus
Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Two things that kinda surprised me with the latest episode here-
Stevonnie needing to shave. That suggests a lot of time passing... or just crazy fast beard growth, because that does kinda come before food is an issue and having a dream. Guess I've been there.

[/SPOILER]
The other interesting thing to me is where the stubble grows.
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think it's all happening in the muttonchop region of Stevonnie's face.

Also I was so sure that the first scene with Lars was going to be revealed to be a game they were all playing in the first couple minutes.
Both episodes where really great.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe