The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-09-2018, 01:23 PM

My thoughts on Mercy

- it’s a struggle to get anyone at all to play a dedicated healer in Quick Play, so nerfing Mercy could make it even more difficult to achieve balanced team composition. I realize this could be irrelevant to competitive play, but casual players matter too.

- Mercy spends 75% of the match not shooting at all, and keeping a safe distance from the real firefight. There needs to be a reward for all that patient restraint.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Love and Peace

Infra Sight, hands down. If your team doesn't care (or even notice) that they can now see the enemy trying to flank, all you've basically accomplished at the end of the day is wearing out your Q key a little bit more. Though I guess even then you could just pop it for yourself and let anything else that happens after that be a happy bonus...

By contrast, I've actually cleared out points with Rip Tire, saved a team from an ambush with Sound Wave, and gotten my only Tracer POTG ever with Pulse Bomb.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by balder the brave View Post
My thoughts on Mercy

- it’s a struggle to get anyone at all to play a dedicated healer in Quick Play, so nerfing Mercy could make it even more difficult to achieve balanced team composition. I realize this could be irrelevant to competitive play, but casual players matter too.

- Mercy spends 75% of the match not shooting at all, and keeping a safe distance from the real firefight. There needs to be a reward for all that patient restraint.
Winning should be the reward.

On a less glib note, I'd be in favor of changing Mercy so that her blue beam damages enemies instead of amplifying allies. When I play heals, I'm usually rolling Ana or Moira simply because of the options.

Or maybe just get crazy with it. Take a page from Resto Druids in WoW and have an ability like Regrowth, where it delivers a quick hit of healing and then adds a short heal-over-time effect.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:54 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¡HarlequinPanic! View Post
Fun question for y'all: What do you think is the worst ult in the game?
Genji's Dragonblade.

Also, Ana's Nano Boost. It's a nice idea but that you can only put it on one other person feels limiting in a way that other ults do not. I'd be in favor of shortening the duration and adding it to her normal toolkit and making her ult something like her gun becomes automatic with unlimited ammo for 8 seconds.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Reinhammer. I used to love it; now it feels like the effect gets cut off way too easily if you drop it on anything but perfectly smooth terrain.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¡HarlequinPanic! View Post
Fun question for y'all: What do you think is the worst ult in the game?
Widowmaker's is objectively the worst
Old 01-09-2018, 07:12 PM
I have a Plan

Widowmaker's ult is amazing if your Widowmaker is aware of her team at all.

This is rarely, if ever, the case.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 AM

Yes, it requires good communication/map team awareness like EMP or Graviton. But I think the bigger weakness of her ult is that it doesn't really make any dynamic changes to her kit:

-Tracer's ult gives burst damage she doesn't normally have
-Genji gets more reliable damage output instead of his typically inaccurate main weapon
-McCree can hit multiple targets (it's essentially a long range AoE attack now)-Hanzo gets significant range increase

and so on and so forth.

My point being that for some characters Ults make up for significant deficits in their toolkit and help them slot into different comps more easily. Infrasight on the other hand does nothing to really tip the scales in a widow's favor: she can already get vision from her mine and if the enemy comp is already one that doesn't favor her (numerous tanks or shield characters), it adds nothing to her damage potential. Makes sense for her design as an ultra focused champ who is good at one thing and one thing only, but I think it's a frustratingly shortsighted toolkit considering nearly every other character in the game has a few different ways to be played.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Genji's Dragonblade.

Also, Ana's Nano Boost. It's a nice idea but that you can only put it on one other person feels limiting in a way that other ults do not. I'd be in favor of shortening the duration and adding it to her normal toolkit and making her ult something like her gun becomes automatic with unlimited ammo for 8 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Reinhammer. I used to love it; now it feels like the effect gets cut off way too easily if you drop it on anything but perfectly smooth terrain.
These are all examples of ults that have been nerfed over time, too. Dragonblade has one or two less strikes, Reinhardt's hammer climbs steps far less, and nano-boost was meta-defining (similar to how Mercy's ult is now) when it also boosted speed (creating crazy rushing Rein and Death Blossoms).

Balancing Overwatch will probably only get harder for Blizzard over time, since every buff and nerf ripples out as buffs and nerfs to other characters as well.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakupo View Post
Balancing Overwatch will probably only get harder for Blizzard over time, since every buff and nerf ripples out as buffs and nerfs to other characters as well.
Also known as the 'World of Warcraft corollary'.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:42 PM
Dinger!

Honestly, with the potential exception of Valkyrie being too strong and Infra-Sight being too weak, I feel like every ult is pretty good right now.

Tags
blizzard , blizzard money printer , fantastic butts , hot moms n dads , lgbteam fortress , overwatch