The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Inherently Stealthy

I just had the "best" win against Togglewaggle as Warlock. The entire game I was one bad turn from jamming concede...

- He stole my Mal'ganis and turned every minion in his hand into a copy of it... Then never played any of them.
- He generated the candle for himself... Then burned it through overdrawing.
- I lucked into a double Ysera from Wish, which gave me two of her +5/+5 cards and a "5 damage to everything but Ysera", which was enough to finish him off.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I just learned how Jade Golems work! I've been away from the game for a year, so I didn't know! I've just been skipping all of the Jade Golem cards in the dungeon because they seemed bad! It sure would have been nice if the game had communicated that mechanic!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 AM
100% All Original

A few weeks in I can safely say that I would have MUCH rather had an adventure mode than dungeon run. I've never gotten to the end of dungeon run and I'm pretty much done with it.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I just learned how Jade Golems work! I've been away from the game for a year, so I didn't know! I've just been skipping all of the Jade Golem cards in the dungeon because they seemed bad! It sure would have been nice if the game had communicated that mechanic!

Man, you must've been really confused when I talked about how an endless stream of Aya Blackpaws is so unstoppable...
Old 12-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
Man, you must've been really confused when I talked about how an endless stream of Aya Blackpaws is so unstoppable...
Very much so, yes!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Doctor of Death

I wonder if they broke something (else) again. I'm up to 43 consecutive Kobolds packs without opening a legendary.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:15 PM
King Of Space-Time

Shaman with evolve cards is damn sweet in latest brawl.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

As compensation for the daily quest bug introduced in the last patch, Blizzard is giving out three K&C packs early next year. The catch is that they’re distributing them through the battle.net gift feature, so you’ll have to manually claim them when the time comes. Keep an eye out.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Whelp, that's the dungeon completed with all classes. Hunter was a giant PITA, but no other class took me more than 1-3 runs. This new mode was really fun! I just wish that there was more of it. >_< I guess I'll go back to not playing this game and hope that they do something like this again in the future!
Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Set phasers to hug

Blessing of Wisdom is really good.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:30 PM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Whelp, that's the dungeon completed with all classes. Hunter was a giant PITA, but no other class took me more than 1-3 runs. This new mode was really fun! I just wish that there was more of it. >_< I guess I'll go back to not playing this game and hope that they do something like this again in the future!
Man, that's crazy! I tried probably 20 times with mage and I think I only even got to the 8th battle twice.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:07 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Finished off all nine classes. It definitely seemed to get easier as I went along; it took me forever to win with Mage and Priest, but I won Paladin on my second try and Warrior and Warlock on my third.

Mage: Elementals. I got Frost Lich Jaina, two Ragnaroses, Baron Geddon, and the Scepter of Summoning, so I was essentially impossible to kill.

Priest: Buffing. Got the valkyrie sisters, two Djinn of Zephyrs, and a bunch of good buffs, and was able to take the Cloak of Invisibility to keep my board from being messed with while I was setting up. This one was probably the most fun to play.

Rogue: Pure Jade. I must have taken Jade with every single selection; I ended up with something like nine Jade Spirits. I pulled the Darkness as a final boss and made his life miserable; he'd shuffle in a Jade Spirit and a 14/14 Jade Golem in with Psychic Scream and I'd just draw another one and make a 15/15.

Druid: Just generic good stuff; no real theme or broken synergies, but some good creatures and removal. I probably didn't deserve to win this one, but Togswaggle turned his hand into legendaries on turn three with the Golden Kobold and gave himself nothing to play while I took over the board. Which, you know, given how many runs Togswaggle wrecked with obnoxious RNG, I'll take.

Shaman: I ended up in Totems because there was a Primal Fusion in the least miserable of my three opening piles. The run itself was pretty unremarkable, but it made up for it with the most hilarious final boss ever. With my last treasure I took the staff that generates Mage spells on the principle that I might need more value generation, and who should I pull except Azari? The Staff saved my bacon on at least six occasions, giving me removal, a Frozen Clone that gave me two Voidlords, and a Primordial Glyph that I used to pull Elemental Destruction in a do-or-die situation. I eventually won by getting Wisps of the Old Gods from a Lotus Agent and dealing 25 damage to him a turn before dying to fatigue, which was five or six cards deep by that point.

Hunter: Opened Captured Flag with my first pick and just overran everyone. I also got two copies of Deathstalker Rexxar, which I used to outvalue the Darkness.

Paladin: Generic Silver Hand deck. Took Justicar's Ring as the first treasure and Cloak of Invisibility with the second, and just killed everyone.

Warlock: Demon tribal. The only notable thing here was the double Glyph, which slowed Azari down to the point where I could take the board and never relinquish it, and kept the Voidlords and Mal'Ganis out of the game.

Warrior: Enrage deck with Patrons, Rotface, and Grom. I got to relive the days of Warsong/Patron using the Time Walk spell. I took Invisibility with my last treasure and was immediately vindicated, as I got the Darkness as a final boss and that treasure pretty much wrecks him.

I only ever saw Togswaggle, Azari, or the Darkness as final bosses. Didn't even see the other two, much less beat them.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:36 PM
King Of Space-Time

Angry

I swear I have never been aggravated by RNG in a match as I was just now. Paladin Vs Mage; never have I seen such luck with random target cards or getting just the card he needed via the Raven Idol. He finally surrendered, which only pissed me off further for denying me a killing blow.

EFF RNG FOREVER.

Last edited by Daikaiju; 12-29-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:42 PM
100% All Original

Yeah, this is a pretty bad brawl. And I'm someone who usually likes any brawl where you pick a class but don't make a deck, since they're the easiest to complete quests with.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Just for kicks, I felt like handicapping the standard rotations, even though it's at least three months away.

Near Certainty
Ice Block
Gadgetzan Auctioneer

Watch List
Nourish
Preparation
Mind Blast
Doomguard
Leeroy Jenkins
Alexstrasza

Longshots
Savannah Highmane
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Blizzard
Divine Favor
Tirion Fordring
Shadowstep
Upgrade!
Frothing Berserker
Doomsayer
Coldlight Oracle
Faceless Manipulator
Malygos

Million-to-One
Some older cards rotating back in
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Set phasers to hug

The problem I have with the current Brawl isn't so much the RNG, it's how long every turn takes.

Also, I have a hard time believing they'd ever move Tirion Fordring to the Hall of Fame, and leave one class without a Classic legendary. I'll give some okay odds on Stonetusk Boar, though. As for Gadgetzan Auctioneer, I see that as more of a nerf than a move; if they want to kill the big draw turns, they could always just make it "the first time you cast a spell each turn, draw a card".
Old 12-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

I would pay to see the uproar among the Redditites and Twitch commentariat if they rotated Stonetusk Boar, I'll be honest.

My thinking with regards to Auctioneer is that I think they would like Miracle Rogue and suchlike decks to have a continued existence in Wild; they just don't want to have to design around it in Standard anymore. It seems like they took to heart the criticism that classic Handlock is basically not playable in any format anymore after the Molten Giant nerf, leaving players who really liked that deck out in the cold.

Tirion is probably not going anywhere until they bite the bullet and do a rotating Classic set and can replace him with Tarim or one of the Bolvars or something, but I could see him being a card they go after under the Ragnaros principle. (That's also why I put Highmane on the list. I don't think they want every high-cost Hunter minion from now until the end of time being compared against Highmane, even if Highmane isn't all that oppressive currently.)
Old 12-31-2017, 03:54 PM
forbidden noise

the problem is that ever since i've played hunter has always been reliant on a small number of really overpowered cards (particularly highmane and 8-mana call), and if they take out highmane hunter will be even further behind the curve (when it right now seems to already be considered the worst class)

like, sure, it's not good design, but there's probably no such thing in this case

i also don't think mind blast is that big a deal outside of the one archetype that's going to take some big hits in the rotation anyway and i'd really hate to see doomsayer go, it's a really unique card that honestly hasn't even been that good for most of the past year
Old 01-01-2018, 03:53 AM
Doctor of Death

I'd trade Shadowstep and Auctioneer on Tanto's list. Auctioneer has never quite been problematic enough, whereas Blizzard explicitly printed a Shadowstep 'replacement' in Kobolds with Cheat Death, and Shadowstep's combo potential exacerbates cards like Keleseth and Leeroy.

As for Alex, I think there's potential for it to get tweaked, I don't think it gets the full Hall of Fame treatment. I can see Blizzard trying to emphasize it more as a big heal card, maybe tweaking the value from 15 to 20, or saying it only explicitly raises health.

Last edited by Cait; 01-01-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Auctioneer seems like the safest of safe bets to me. They considered rotating it last year, and almost immediately regretted that they didn’t. It has no applications outside of Miracle decks that are looking to draw their deck and find a combo, a playstyle that Blizzard has consistently frowned on. It sharply limits the kinds of cards they can print (think the Unstable Evolution effect), and “cheap spells” is far too broad and necessary a category to restrict yourself on just to keep one problematic card in the format. There’s even a good non-Auctioneer Rogue deck right now, so the spurious “You can’t rotate Auctioneer because Rogue is terrible without it!” argument is defanged.

If they hadn’t as much as admitted that they were going to rotate Ice Block during the last round of nerfs, Auctioneer would absolutely be my number one pick to head off into the sunset in April.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:22 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm not sure why I had 4 free Kobold packs waiting for me, on top of the 3 packs they gave away, but opening them all got me a Hunter Legendary. I forget her name but it's the Discover a Beast on Battlecry/Deathrattle. Doesn't seem compelling enough for me to make a Hunter deck though.

I tried another dungeon run as Rogue and got shut down on level 5 again. I picked mostly combo cards and went up against a Shaman that summons Troggs every time I cast a spell. Pretty insurmountable lock down against a combo spell Rogue deck.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I'm not sure why I had 4 free Kobold packs waiting for me, on top of the 3 packs they gave away, but opening them all got me a Hunter Legendary. I forget her name but it's the Discover a Beast on Battlecry/Deathrattle. Doesn't seem compelling enough for me to make a Hunter deck though.
Recruit, not Discover; they'd never put a Discover effect on a Deathrattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I tried another dungeon run as Rogue and got shut down on level 5 again. I picked mostly combo cards and went up against a Shaman that summons Troggs every time I cast a spell. Pretty insurmountable lock down against a combo spell Rogue deck.
Outside of maybe Jade, I don't think you want to overcommit to one strategy in Dungeon Runs; there are too many bosses, even in the midgame, that'll shut down specific strategies. My most recent win was a Priest that had a fair bit of the C'Thun package (including 3 C'Thuns) and the Scepter of Summoning, but also had a couple of Lyras and the Archmage's Staff. The latter is what carried me through the fight with Azari, the Devourer, particularly after he milled two of my C'Thuns.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:55 PM
the :motion: stands

Finally beat a dungeon run as Mage. Permastealthed Animated Armor is my MVP. The Darkness was able to Twisting Nether it away eventually, but I had some good Blizzard stall along with the 3 candles I hadn't had to use yet, and after another (useless) Twisting Nether and Psychic Scream, it was sunk. It also had a full hand for most of the game, I assume because most of its spells were meant to be cast on my minions.

8 more classes to go!

Tags
blizzard , ccg , hearthstone , mlg , warcraft