The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
On the plus side of things I have been digging into the backlog of Viz translations time forgot with Sanctuary, Buronson's paean to youth and eternal fascism.

e: That the politicians and yakuza are classical narcissists is to be expected. What took a minute to settle in was how the police pursue the yakuza not because of their crimes or immorality, but because of pride.
Sanctuary presents a really interesting dynamic between Hojo and Asami, mixes in the political commentary of what happens under a stale democracy, and then adds a prideful big titted police woman for one of the MCs to win as a prize.

- Eddie
Old 01-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Oily Butt Thing

I like how you can instantly tell whether someone is a hero or a villain in Sanctuary, because the heroes look like they belong in the International Male catalog and the villains look like Jabba the Hutt in a business suit.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:09 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
'kay
just because I don't want to come across as a tremendous asshole here I'm gonna briefly break character and make it clear that my faux-dismissiveness here is for the purposes of demonstrating the use of "'kay" as the perfect English substitute for "a simple neutral acknowledgement rather than something that affirms to the positive."

hai
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I like how you can instantly tell whether someone is a hero or a villain in Sanctuary, because the heroes look like they belong in the International Male catalog and the villains look like Jabba the Hutt in a business suit.
ryuichi ikegami is a student of the human form

Edit: I think I stole that line from Daryl Surat, in reference, er, to Bugnug of African Tusk.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Hey, I know Junji Ito has his fans here. Having previously only read Amigara Fault and a few little slices of his other work, I've somehow ended up with a couple of his books in my backlog recently. Currently working through Tomie (which is great, I did not expect it to hinge on the title character having Wolverine powers) with Yon & Mu and Uzumaki on the backburner. I have to say, the bigass hardcover deluxe editions they did for Gyo, Tomie, and Uzumaki are really spoiling me with their slick design and velvety sheen. I'm a sucker for a nice oversized hardcover.

Tomie is the earliest thing he ever did, which shows in places, and individual stories are kind of all over the map. The best ones though focus on Tomie not as any sort of really malevolent horror, but just... this irritatingly spoiled girl everyone else is obsessed with who you just absolutely cannot get rid of or away from.

Of course the best depictions of that angle of things are found less in the original manga and more in some of the later entries of the staggering number of movies based on it that are out there (Beginning and Forbidden Fruit especially).
Old 01-21-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Of course the best depictions of that angle of things are found less in the original manga and more in some of the later entries of the staggering number of movies based on it that are out there (Beginning and Forbidden Fruit especially).
Holy shit, you weren't kidding. They made eight movies and a TV miniseries in just over a decade.

Also, I really like the surprisingly drastic artistic shift from Ito just wanting to be Kazuo Umezu to doing his own thing. It gives the first chapter or two a very retro charm that compensates for the sloppier writing.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:04 AM

welp

Old 01-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Sanctuary presents a really interesting dynamic between Hojo and Asami, mixes in the political commentary of what happens under a stale democracy, and then adds a prideful big titted police woman for one of the MCs to win as a prize.

- Eddie
Quote:
I think Sanctuary suffers from my having first read Fist of the Blue Sky, which has the same infatuation with gorgeous young men breaking up a sclerotic power structure with fists, brotherhood, and longing glances between one another, but shitcans the pretensions of realism.

Given the global political situation, it is darkly hilarious to see two-fisted neoliberalism portrayed as the cure for what ails late capitalism.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:39 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
welp
BOOKSHELF DOT JAYPEG
I'm sorry I just.

God I hate Gyo so fuckin much.

Just.

Arergh
Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Given the global political situation, it is darkly hilarious to see two-fisted neoliberalism portrayed as the cure for what ails late capitalism.
yeah, on the rare occasions when our boys let slip what is the actual political program they want to implement it's like, okay, this is basically Ayn Rand with gangster intrigue and cool suits.

also: it would take a better scholar than I to unpack everything that's going on in this strip as far as sex and gender but I will note that a majority of the sex acts in Sanctuary take place in a bathroom stall.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I'm sorry I just.

God I hate Gyo so fuckin much.

Just.

Arergh
I've never read the whole thing, I think that LANDSHARK is cool but I hear it gets real fuckin' dumb near the end.

However, I got a discount on it and this edition also includes Amigara Fault, so...???
Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
I've never read the whole thing, I think that LANDSHARK is cool but I hear it gets real fuckin' dumb near the end.

However, I got a discount on it and this edition also includes Amigara Fault, so...???
I've always thought it was funny that people lauded Junji Ito's newer stuff for "using the language of horror comics for comedy" or whatever. IMO he's always been doing that. Uzumaki and Gyo (and Amigara Fault, and Hellstar Remina, etc etc) are so goofy and absurd that I don't really get how they came to be perceived in such a straight fashion in the West.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Blue Comet

Well, those things are body horror. Even if Amigara fault is funny when you think of it (THIS HOLE, IT WAS MADE FOR ME), it's still scary to see someone's body twisted in such a way. The kitty manga, on the other hand, might use Ito's horror-style paneling, the expressions of fear on people's faces, etc., but doesn't involve people's bodies changing or people dying or anything.

D...Does it? ;o;
Old 01-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
yeah, on the rare occasions when our boys let slip what is the actual political program they want to implement it's like, okay, this is basically Ayn Rand with gangster intrigue and cool suits.

also: it would take a better scholar than I to unpack everything that's going on in this strip as far as sex and gender but I will note that a majority of the sex acts in Sanctuary take place in a bathroom stall.
I think Sanctuary's attitude towards sex is summed up perfectly by Layer Cake:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Larry
Fuckin' females is for poofs
Old 01-21-2017, 02:56 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
I made it halfway throughwhen I just stopped.

It was a moment of sublime liberation.

I wasn't defeated. Gyo hadn't won. I was simply free.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Is there not one thing

Gave up on Sanctuary. You know how Sun Ken Rock establishes that the main character is a large-type doofus, but shows his actions to be so uncompromisingly moral and honorable that you root for him? Sanctuary goes out of its way to show the main characters as amoral, violent sociopaths, then has side characters deliver Cato-length monologues about how honorable and amazing they are.

SKR's main point is that the Korean government is so venal and arbitrarily cruel that even a street gang, by taking care of the vulnerable, can become its moral superior. Sanctuary argues that one can and should do the same by being more skilled than the government at violence and cruelty.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:51 PM

As said elsewhere:

Quote:
I'm about two-thirds of the way through What is Obscenity? The Story of a Good For Nothing Artist and Her Pussy and wanted to give it a shout-out outside of the manga thread, because I feel like a lot of non-manga TT peeps would be into it. It's about Rokudenashiko, a Japanese feminist artist who primarily makes sculpture based on her own vagina, including a 3D-printed kayak that you may remember for appearing on the Daily Show that one time. In 2014 she was arrested twice for "distribution of obscene materials," and after being released wrote What is Obscenity? as an account of her time in jail and struggles with the notoriously bullshit Japanese legal system. It's surprisingly funny despite being about unjust law, flagrant human rights violations, and a prison system designed to dehumanize you into confessing to anything. It's a great read and I imagine it's only going to become more chillingly relevant in the current political climate.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Oily Butt Thing

since AV mentioned it upthread I got around to Fist of the Blue Sky, which aside from featuring pretty good head-explody is interesting for its portrayal of the Japanese occupation in Manchuria; the series is not so far going too deep into the gory details of just what made the occupation so awful, but at the very least the message is clearly that Japan's expansion onto the Asian mainland was not a good thing. also Ken's amnesiac ex-girlfriend turned Tommy-packing nomad bandit leader is super rad.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:40 PM
Jinxed

I've been reading To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts which I started because I recognized the author, Maybe.

It's certainly fairly different from the author's other works but I do have to commend it for tackling some fairly tough subject matter for a Shonen manga, and in a fairly nuanced way.

The basic premise is as a parable of how society treats war veterans after they return from war, and in particular how those veterans can have some major difficulties reintegrating with society after the horror of war. And here there is a not at all subtle metaphor in that the government permanently turned these particular veterans into very literal monsters (like dragons and gargoyles) in order to win the war.

The story follows Schaal, who is initially out for revenge on the man who killed her veteran father and in fact opens with her shooting that man in a bar with her father's elephant gun. That doesn't really work, partly because the man, named Hank, was apparently expecting something like that an put a steel plate in his coat and also because Hank was her father's commanding officer and another one of the monstrous war veterans and thus supernaturally tough.

After watching Hank put down another member of his former unit because, Hank says, of a promise they'd made to kill each other Schaal decides to follow Hank for a while to try and figure out why everything is so fucked up.

It's not a happy tale for sure, but it is pretty interesting for what it is and I do appreciate the amount of humanity that everyone involved has, both good and bad.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:04 PM
if-then-eels

oh hey the kindred spirits manga (which is actually both of the two volumes in one) is out today

amazon telling me that bloom into you, kiss + white lily, motehrfuckin' kase-san, and (by god) to-lie-angle are all available to buy in english too

does anyone know how to do cpr on a wallet
Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 PM

It's a good year for lesbian manga. You should see my amazon wishlist. The After Hours, My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness, Sweet Blue Flowers, Hana & Hina After School, and Secret of the Princess are all out this year too.

And for good measure, Murcielago.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:42 PM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
♥ It's ♥ the ♥ worst ♥
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Took me a second to parse this, during which I thought you were talking about salaryman-buys-a-Ferrari classic Testarossa.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Oily Butt Thing

read up through a bunch more volumes of All-Rounder Meguru, which increasingly seems to be the effect of an editor with a gun to Hiroki Endo's head enforcing all the most familiar conventions of sports manga.

the hot spring antics in chapter 107 are funny though.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
read up through a bunch more volumes of All-Rounder Meguru, which increasingly seems to be the effect of an editor with a gun to Hiroki Endo's head enforcing all the most familiar conventions of sports manga.

the hot spring antics in chapter 107 are funny though.
Did ARM ever settle on a plotline? I gave up when it hit Crows levels of impenetrable parallel subplots.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Did it ever settle on a plotline?
oh hell no.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
oh hell no.
I hope Endo never changes.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Oily Butt Thing

like at the exact moment you think he's left the grim yakuza shit permanently in the rear view and settled down to focusing on the Fighter's Brew kids, we snap back to six straight chapters about Takashi in the orphanage.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Is there not one thing

Snagged some Oishinbo at the library last weekend. I continue to be fascinated by cultural artifacts from the Bubble years.

Tops: Arnold, the walking malapropism expat who nearly loses his job when he dares to compare yakitori to barbecue in front of his weeaboo boss. Luckily everything is saved when the main character takes everyone to an eel joint where they eat innards and coo about mop sauces.

Slops: Even Viz has fallen to the forces of lazy translation. "Don't take yakitori so lightly!" "It's on another level." etc, etc. Closing in on 20 years ago a translator told me that Japanese translates best to Victorian English, but I guess that's because she hadn't encountered Ro-Man.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
like at the exact moment you think he's left the grim yakuza shit permanently in the rear view and settled down to focusing on the Fighter's Brew kids, we snap back to six straight chapters about Takashi in the orphanage.
My working hypothesis is that Kazuo Koike writes the fill-in scripts when Endo takes ill.

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations