The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Senhor Member

I'd heard X-Man gets bad immediately after the AoA but I disagree; it has everything I want out of X-Man - Nate's extremely confused but his hair just keeps getting better, he's being pursued by rough trade, Madelyne Pryor's back and maybe not totally evil, Selene's around doing whatever.

John Ostrander replaces Jeph Loeb as writer after a few issues. Maybe that's when it gets really interminable but thankfully I can no longer distinguish between good and bad.

Okay one thing that dumbs is he keeps encountering people in what he knows in an alternate reality and is just like, "impossible! Magneto leads the X-Men!!" for like months of publishing time. I'm not sure he's stopped.

The fuck are you trying to pull beast

Still like New X-Factor, too. Mystique has a gr8 costume imo. Or great hair anyway.

I've never thought about this before but when Havok can't control his emissions and has to be stuffed into his skin-tight bodysuit, yes, it does function as a chastity cage

Howard Mackie's takes over from Moore and as far as I'm concerned the transition was smooth and unobjectionable.

Everything I want

Scarlet or a clone of Scarlet or something from the Meltdown Wolverine and Havok miniseries shows up at some point. I never read it because I thought of it as a Wolverine thing but I figured, why not. I really liked it! Wolverine's hair tufts make him look like Harley Quinn and he's jealous of his str8 friend Alex falling for a spy. Also is the first time he calls someone a bitch?

Comics! Like 'em.

Last edited by Pizzarino Sbarro; 08-06-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Everything about this is incredible
Old 08-06-2018, 09:58 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Steve Skroce was a peach of an artist back in those days. Had a good run on Spider-Man too. Then he got the job storyboarding the Matrix and has since never had to work unless he feels like it.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Senhor Member

Just think it’s interesting and kind of rude that Marvel Unlimited would upload six issues of X-Men volume 2 I already have access to, but not the one-off Flashback issues from 1997 that I’m still looking for. (I have the spin-offs’, including floppies for the Alpha Flight and Gen X issues, but not UXM’s or X-Men vol 2’s)
Old 08-06-2018, 02:53 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Weren't the Flashback issues the ones they numbered -1? Maybe that means they're indexed in some funny way?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Senhor Member

As far as I know they’re just not there. I think things on Unlimited are sorted by date, but I’ve seen both ends of... the indices, too.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:30 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
As far as I know they’re just not there. I think things on Unlimited are sorted by date, but I’ve seen both ends of... the indices, too.
At least for Uncanny -1, since it's just one issue missing from an otherwise completed 500+ issue run, I wonder if it might just be an oversight due to the gimmick numbering that they might correct sooner if you sent a brief, polite message.

I know they do listen somewhat, because they added some missing pages I wrote them about when I was reading the "literally no one cares enough about these terrible comics to ever notice these weren't complete" era of the 1960s X-Men.

Vol. 2 still has a lot of holes though so you're just at the mercy of their mysterious schedule for that one. (It seems like basically anything non-event related from a mid-90s series is a low priority....)

Last edited by estragon; 08-06-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:47 PM
Senhor Member

What luck! This was an event! A supremely irrelevant event!

Yeah, X-Men was missing like 20 issues or something before. Six less now. I know a bunch of annuals are randomly missing parts, too. (sometimes this is noted in the summary; sometimes not)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

I've read enough Autostraddle to know what Mystique meant by "gal pal".
Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Everything about this is incredible
If the second panel is another kick that says "CHUD 2: BUD THE CHUD", I am buying every issue of X-Man.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Senhor Member

Okay, so I’m just plowin through Mackie’s X-Factor and intend to just move right on into Mutant X, just to close off one relatively self-contained end of the 90s as soon as possible. Got about 12 issues before that. This is completely indefensible, but yes, Mackie’s is maybe my second favorite era of X-Factor after PAD’s. OTOH why rank anything. I like the cast and a lot of the art. Yes, sometimes things are a little incomprehensible, but I accept that.

Did they put little sheathes on Dark Beast’s toenails. Love it

Many people also have great taste.

Why is everyone wearing this dumb mask in the 90s. Maybe it’s a plot point but that has or will glide right past me.

Gamers

The flashback issue focused on Alex’s grim life as an adoptee.

Love that Nate is just standing around in daylight like this.

Fucked up and mean Mister Sinister

In the present day, Alex was brainwashed by Dark Beast but sort of got better and has a cooler costume now. (villains dress him very well) This isn’t the one I’m talking about; there’s one with even more stripes than normal. Kinda looks like Vertigo.

Anyway, he’s Hard now and forms shitty, edgeless X-Force.

Val, who is both very willing to do anything the government asks of her and simultaneously very bad at her job is chill with it. Why wouldn’t she be?
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Senhor Member

Wow just found out the so-called complete run of Mutant X I picked up last year is missing the 2001 annual. Please be careful everybody; lots of absolute scammers out there.

The last bit of Mackie’s Factor is absolutely weird. And bad, yes. It sets up a new status quo with Havok leading a band of time traveling weirdos verrrry slowly which is of course gonna get blown up for Mutant X. The letters page keeps flagrantly lying about issue 150, which will not be published for a decade or so. (I believe 150 comes immediately after 50 because round numbers) The best issues are written by other people. I still haven’t read 149. Here goes.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Senhor Member

lol. these two dweebs.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

That scene and Scott's sweater were a bright spot in this era.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Mystery Contraption

Bonus points for the X-Men branded coffee cup
Old 08-09-2018, 06:12 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Bonus points for the X-Men branded coffee cup
It's a funny recurring motif with some artists, that somehow the X-Men had all sorts of logo merch. When I was a youngster I wanted one of Storm and Jean's school bomber jackets in the worst possible way:

Old 08-14-2018, 06:19 PM
Senhor Member

Mutant X book report, first six issues: ya I like it

First of all, Alex has to call everyone their goth as hell names and he is SUCH A DWEEB it’s a real struggle.

In particular, Warren “the” “Fallen” Worthington III is hilarious.

lolllllll

Is the Brute really a crueler nickname than the Beast?

Bob Drake is so gay. Can’t touch another human being because he’s too cold, not that he’d want to, trust him!!!

Also gay is BLOODSTORM

I’d never read Mutant X before X-Men Blue and I guess that series does faithfully recreate that she isn’t nearly as entertaining as her concept/costume/name might suggest. So far. We’ll see where this goes.

Also sorry to say this universe does have a lesser Madelyne

I appreciate that the Mutant X-iverse isn’t really a dystopia meant to be wiped away. Though I vaguely remember reading the last few issues as they came out at Biggs and I think it gets there. For now it’s just... different from the 616.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:10 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Mutant X book report, first six issues: ya I like it

oh my god
Old 08-15-2018, 01:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

God yes, more Double Grim And Gritty Angel, please.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Psh. You can't fool me, Warren. If you were really The Fallen, you'd be on fire all the time.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:36 PM
poisonous thread snake

It's still so funny to me that Jason Wyngarde is like this sexy debonair 18th century aristocrat with a silly beard, and Jean is SUPER into it, but THEN it turns out that there's a whole squad of these evil dandies sporting tights and ponytails, who then turn out to be total badasses.

Good stuff. Byrne's style also reads very cleanly, I'm quite fond of it
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Better be the real thing.

And then of course Wyngarde is the one who's only using his powers to look like a sexy debonair aristocrat and not the grungy extra from a Dickens novel he actually is.
Old Yesterday, 03:28 AM

Bad week to be an X-Man this week. In the Astonishing X-Men Annual, the surviving O5 X-Men (old 2018 version) get a reunion where they all mope around complaining about how unhappy they are and how it's all Professor Xavier's fault for making them into child soldiers interrupted by X, who is the current true everything that is terrible about the X-Men (he is actually Professor Xavier's spirit, memories, and powers in the body of Fantomex, yes really). Anyway X talks everyone into following him upstate to a town that is currently being taken over by the alien Lucifer (if you know X-Men history, you know that he is the one responsible for Xavier losing the ability to walk. The first he lost it, I mean). So while everyone talks about this, Hank McCoy wanders off and gets captured because he is just the goddamned worst.

And that's not my opinion, that's Marvel Canon.

Still makes me laugh everytime.

Anyway X talks Jean, Bobby, and Warren that Lucifer is brainwashing the town and will take over the world this way unless they kill him. Bobby and Jean object to that and X rolls his eyes and tells them "grow up children, this is how the world works". Anyway they go and try to rescue Hank, fail miserably, and then Lucifer tries to mind control Angel. This backfires on him because Warren turns into Archangel and chops his head off. This causes the entire town to die with X only able to save Beast from this. Everyone freaks the fuck out about this, X asks if they're happy because they just saved the world, they of course say no and accuse him of knowingly ruining any chance of happiness by turning them into child soldiers.

He replies "No... I always held out hope that maybe you'd find some happiness in doing good" then mindwipes them so they'd forget all this and walks away.

On a Professor Xavier Is A Jerk scale of 1 to 10, ten being Onslaught, this is about a 9ish.

Oh and over in eXtermination, the first book that will send the baby X-Men home, Ahab comes back and two people die but one was a superfluous character and the other, well if you think Cable is going to stay dead after being killed by his younger self, you must never have read an X-Men comic before, it's not gonna stick.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Anyway X talks everyone into following him upstate to a town that is currently being taken over by the alien Lucifer
It is amazing to me that someone is acknowledging Lucifer in 2018, after almost 5 decades of pretending that never happened.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Just a reminder that the Professor is the headmaster of a school for special-needs students who has a carefully updated dossier on how to murder each and every one of his students, and the evil side of his personality is so powerful it occasionally separates on its own into a whole separate guy.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
the evil side of his personality is so powerful it occasionally separates on its own into a whole separate guy
It's kind of funny that four years after editorial demanded Jean die for accidentally committing genocide against the broccoli aliens in the immediate aftermath of being psychically manipulated, Evil Xavier very much intentionally does even more alien genocide and sexually assaults his underage students, but no one seems to particularly mind.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Wasn't that a Skrull? Or am I getting all my evil Xaviers mixed up? (there have been lots)
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It is amazing to me that someone is acknowledging Lucifer in 2018, after almost 5 decades of pretending that never happened.
I love Matthew Rosenberg but frankly I think so-called super-heroes should stop thwarting world peace via mind control.

Anyway, these people live in a universe where it’s actually impossible to kill important people or keep them in prison, or even out of their social groups, so really “forgive and forget” is their only option.

I haven’t got to Onslaught. When’d Xavier do genocide? Have I forgotten about or is it upcoming? (at some point within the next 17 years of comics with which I’m partially familiar)

(Xavier’s definitely evil in Mutant X btw)

(well, he just wants to mind control everyone too. maybe they should’ve let him!)
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Wasn't that a Skrull? Or am I getting all my evil Xaviers mixed up? (there have been lots)
Quote:
When’d Xavier do genocide?
This is in the X-Men and the Micronauts series, where the antagonist is the same Evil Side of Xavier who originally appeared in that filler issue right before the climax of the original Phoenix saga. (I think this gets cut from some Phoenix centered TPBs because it really kills the momentum.)

This was before Skrulls impersonating basically everyone was a really common thing, and also while Micronauts just canonically existed in the Marvel universe. (Similarly, Storm lost her powers for years because of ROM: Spaceknight technology.) My guess is that they were not able to retcon this as a Skrull, if only because they no longer had the legal rights to discuss that story by the time Oops! All Skrulls! happened.

Maybe the legal rights situation means that technically this never happened now anyway, but I'm talking about publication history here and the original context for anyone reading these things in the order they came out.
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Every other element of this series has been tapped dry. Even Chay'eh will return, eventually.

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men , xavier is a jerk