The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 08-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Totally Radicola!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
If you hold your sword out to charge a spin attack, you can use it to poke walls. Normal walls clink, explodable walls clang. You can explore without wasting all your bombs.

(I think this is "you should know this already" from A Link to the Past, not sure if anyone ingame ever tells you.)

Quote:

The trees outside the Seashell Manor actually talk and tell you that exact thing! I'm surprised it wasn't accidentally triggered right here when ramming it!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Awake

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Let's Play Link's Awakening, part 15: Link's Angle

Hello again. Here we are in Angler's Tunnel. The eyes on these potato guys look like they might be amenable to arrows.

But they are not.

I move on to the next room and encounter spined ones, I think last seen in the first dungeon. They're the same here as they were there: Flip 'em with the shield, then attack. There are more in the room to the right, but this room also has a chest. What's inside?

The compass! That arrived quickly. Let's see where the chests and Nightmare are:

Hmm. What's the layout of this dungeon represent, anyway? I speculated last time that I might find a home for my fishing hook in here (spoiler: nope), since it's a tool of anglers. If you squint, this room layout sort of suggests a hook.

I've got two choices to carry on, but the path right is blocked by a locked door, so I head south and quickly find a key, allowing me to open it.

These water striders have a tendency to move away just as you go to strike them, and their ability to skate over water that's too deep for Link makes them difficult targets.

Unable to pass the locked door, I backtrack and find my way to the chest upstairs. I get the stone slab fragment and a glimpse of the dungeon ahead.

Carrying on north I see the rest of the stone slab and come across a most appealing hole in the floor.

Whee!

If you look closely at the third image where the game is reminding me that I can blow stuff up, you'll see that I'd actually just dropped a bomb when that helpful message popped up. I get a key for my troubles.

These helicopter flowerpots can only be hit when they land, which is often on water where Link can't reach. Luckily, I brought my bow.

Carrying on forwards I get another key.

I backtrack, picking up the map. I guess the dungeon layout is the head of a trident? That's nautical, I suppose. I use one of my keys to get past the locked door I had to turn back from before, revealing a chest I can't get to yet.

The next room is the other side of the cross-shaped hole in the floor. It's quite a clever way to put crossing paths in a single room without allowing movement between them.

In the next room I use my other key and push a block to clear a path forwards. Doing so also blocks the stairs, but by going to the next room and coming back the blocks are reset and the path is cleared.

Not that I take it. I head forwards on the same level. In the next room a key drops when all enemies are killed, but it falls in a hole. I just have to trust that I'll reach the lower level and find it at some point. Eagle-eyed viewers may notice the magic of (lazy) editing in this gif.

The stone slab gives a not particularly helpful clue.

I carry on, skirting the edge of the deep water, and find the Nightmare's door. But not a way to reach it.

Carrying on I find some glinting tiles. This is a pretty standard puzzle: step on all five tiles in the correct order to complete it. I can only reach the upper left tile from the lower left tile, and I spend far too long establishing that the correct sequence does not involve going from the lower left to the upper left, meaning I can't complete it until I can swim.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Awake

In the next room I get shot at by potato statues and run over by one of whatever those wall-hugging gear things are, but I manage to get a key from the chest.

Up north is a dead end, so I retrace my steps to the door I've just gotten a key to, but before entering I decide to pursue the fallen key. I can't just drop down the hole, so I head for the stairs leading down one screen to the right.

I can see the key, but I can't swim down to get it. Oh well.

I head through the locked door and encounter the mid-boss, this... thing. Giant beetle? Dunno.

It chases Link, but by using the Pegasus Boots I can turn the hunter into the hunted. Catching up to it allows me to score a hit.

I repeat this process often enough to wonder if I'm doing it wrong, and then:

I win!

As usual, it leaves behind a teleport to the entrance. As is also becoming usual, I fail to collect the fairy left behind when it died.

Carrying on northward, I reach a room whose doors close in on Link. I make it past, but the exits are left sealed. How will I proceed?

Pulling the handle at the top right moves the blocks back, and then I have a brief window to make my escape. I wait for my moment to avoid the enemy, but get it wrong and take a hit. Oh well.

The next room has more potato marksmen, who fortunately lay off once I clear the other enemies, and a conspicuous chest containing an item. What is it?

You've got the Flippers! If you press the B Button while you swim, you can dive underwater!

The flippers! Which incidentally are what I think the map is supposed to be shaped like. The game tells you how to duck underwater, but not that you can press A to swim more quickly. I figure it out before too long.

In the next room is another glinting tile puzzle, though this one is kind enough to show you which tile is next as you step on each one. As befits this very simple puzzle, there is no reward.

Here's Link swimming, including when pressing B to dive underwater.

I head back to the more restrained glinting tile puzzle.

Now that I can swim, I manage to solve it, revealing a passageway downwards. It wasn't until after solving it through trial and error that I realised the tiles are stepped on in the same order as in the other version, whose purpose is revealed to be cluing the player in on how to solve this one. I was not smart enough to pick up on what the stone slab was telling me.

The path down takes me past these falling blocks. The second one gives me some grief, but I make it through.

I get the boss key, and also a glimpse of an area near the start of the dungeon that I didn't explore yet. I start to make my way there, stopping to get a chest that I couldn't reach pre-flippers.

I also stop through to pick up the key that fell underground. On the way I miss the moving platform and land on spikes, a mistake that very nearly kills Link.

I manage to get the key, and discover that in side-view you can still use your items while swimming, unlike in the top down view.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Awake

I head back to the entrance to get the flying bombs and lift the pots, and head back up the right side fork of the dungeon for a chest I couldn't reach before.

A fairy in a chest gets me back to full health, and I head for the one path as yet untaken.

Link does some fishing.

Carrying on I reach the Nightmare's Lair. But there's just some stairs here.

I head down, and down some more. On the next screen I find:

The Angler of Angler's Tunnel: a giant angler fish! I'm guessing it's not interested in my fishing hook.

Is that it? It doesn't even land a hit when it charges me, and the fight is over in a matter of seconds.

Heading back up, I find a harp.

The Surf Harp!

Link is a pretty good harp player.

Okay, so when I start exploring where the ability to swim will take me, I should leave the bay for last. Got it. But that'll have to wait for next time.

Next Time:
Swimming.

Map:

To-Do:
  • Reach the stairs south of the Mermaid statue.
  • Find another way to cross long gaps.
    -Reach the last signpost in the signpost maze.
    -Cross the gap to the left of the Kanalet Castle gates.
    -Cross the river east of the Seashell Mansion.
    -Cross the water east of Angler's Tunnel.
    -Get the chest in the north cave in the Mysterious Forest.
    -Get the chest near the crystals in the cave in the mountain to the east of Mt. Tamaranch.
    -Cross the gap over water to the south-west of the Animal Village.
    -Get the piece of heart in the cave at the north-east of the Animal Village.
  • Learn to swim.
    -Explore the waters and caves near Angler's Tunnel.
    -Visit the person swimming in Martha's Bay.
    -Explore the waters of Martha's Bay.
    -Cut the bush on the island southwest of the Mermaid statue.
    -Cut the bush on the island in the lake north of Richard's place.
    -Cross the water to the east of the waterfall in the mountains near where Papahl got lost.
    -Check for secrets under the bridge south-west of the Animal Village.
    -Do something with the statues on the island north of the Animal Village.
    -Reach the cave entrance north of the stone field north of the Animal Village.
    -Continue exploring up above Angler's Tunnel.
  • Ram any trees I come across.
    -North of the Witch's hut.
    -East of the dilapidated house.
    -Further south of the Seashell Mansion.
    -West of the Animal Village.
    -South-west of the Animal Village.
    -By the owl statue north-east of the stone field.
  • Find a way to get past cracked (but non-explodable) rocks.
    -Get past the cracked rock north of the phone booth near Write's place.
    -Get past the cracked rocks on Mt Tamaranch.
    -Get past the cracked rocks on the mountains east of Mt Tamaranch.
  • Do something with the Flying Rooster statue.
  • Do something with the Mermaid statue.
  • Do something at the grave west of the witch's hut.
  • Do something at Manbo's Pond.
  • Find a use for the fishing hook.
  • Talk to the trees outside the Seashell Mansion
  • Poke suspicious walls with the sword.
  • Grasp Schule's art.
  • Get to the owl statue to the right of the lake above Richard's place.
    -Figure out how to kill the moving skulls and explore the cave under the owl.
  • Kill the moving skull in the cave under Richard's house.
  • Do something in the cave on the beach.
  • Reach the piece of heart in the cave in the mountain to the east of Mt. Tamaranch.
    -Try bombing the eastern wall of the first cave east of Mt Tamaranch.
  • Do something in the house east of the beach.
  • Get into the closed off area northeast of the house east of the beach.
  • Jump down the well in the Animal Village.
  • Collect a lot of secret seashells.
    -Have something pretty ordinary happen.
    -Have something good happen.
  • Learn to play many songs.
    -Learn to play the "Ballad of the Wind Fish".
  • Find a use for the Face Key.
  • Get a magnifying glass.
    -Read 'Dark Secrets and Mysteries of Koholint'.
  • Explore Angler's Tunnel.
    -Check for a hidden room near the flying heart in Anglerís Tunnel.
  • Find the eight instruments.
    -Find the Full Moon Cello.
    -Find the Conch Horn.
    -Find the Sea Lily's Bell.
    -Find the Surf Harp.
    -Find the five four remaining instruments.
  • Play the eight instruments in front of the Wind Fish Egg.
    -Wake the Wind Fish.
  • Get off the island, I guess?

Thanks to R^2 and DeeMer for a couple of new items I've added to the list.

Last edited by Yimothy; 08-10-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I think your "beetle" miniboss is a giant octopus.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Holy Swine

Always looked like a horseshoe crab without a shell to me.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I believe the room with the flying heart over a single patch of shallow water is a hint to the dungeon's hidden room?
Old 08-10-2018, 01:57 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post

Whee!
Did something fall in the bottom part of that crossed shape hole here?

Quote:

These helicopter flowerpots can only be hit when they land
*extremely irritating nerd voice* Ahem, they're called Peahats.

Quote:

In the next room I get shot at by potato statues and run over by one of whatever those wall-hugging gear things are
They look like the Spark enemies from Super Mario Bros 2 (DDP). In fact there seem to be a lot of traditional Mario enemies in this game - Goombas, (One-Eyed) Thwomps (with hats?), Cheep Cheeps and goth/reaper Shyguys.

Quote:
The Angler of Angler's Tunnel: a giant angler fish!

Is that it? It doesn't even land a hit when it charges me, and the fight is over in a matter of seconds.
Wow. Yeah, that boss went down like a chump. I wonder if something glitched out with its hitbox - because normally most Zelda bosses will cause contact damage to Link. I also wonder if something glitched out during the charge and if more blocks were supposed to fall.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

It's possible to softlock the game here.

It's juuust barely possible to make a Pegasus/Feather leap across deep water to hit the button in the lower-left-of-center room, opening the door to the key block that leads to the boss. If you spend a key on that block, you don't have a key to unlock the door to (I think) the miniboss to earn the Flippers. And even if you had the Nightmare Key to access the boss, you can't swim down to fight it. You're stuck.

(The boss is a chump though.)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I believe the room with the flying heart over a single patch of shallow water is a hint to the dungeon's hidden room?
Could be... Iíll add it to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Did something fall in the bottom part of that crossed shape hole here?
Yes. One of the slimes fell down the hole of its own accord just before I started the jump.

Quote:
*extremely irritating nerd voice* Ahem, they're called Peahats.
Not in this LP, theyíre not. Those are clearly helicopter flowerpots. I generally try to stick to official names for things, but they arenít named in-game or in the manual so far as I can see (in this game, at least), and I like my name better.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Awake

Default Let's Play Link's Awakening, part 16: Link's Ghost

Here we are outside Angler's Tunnel. Unlike before, I can swim now! Time to put that ability to use!

But first, back into the dungeon.

Quote:
Let's find out:

Sadly, it does not seem to be so.

I am Manbo, child of the Sun Fish! Have you got an Ocarina? Ahaha! Then I can teach you my song! Bloop!

I head back out and swim left, to find Manbo. Let's listen:

This arguably loses something without sound.

You've learned Manbo's Mambo! When you get out of the water, play it!

Good advice! But first, let's see if Manbo has anything else to say:

I am Manbo, child of the Sun Fish! When you play my Mambo, you can warp to Manbo Pond! Try this tune in the dungeons, too! Cha-cha-cha!

Hey, nice! Doing something at Manbo's pond is on my to-do list. But first I wanna explore around here.

I go back into Angler's Tunnel and try it out. I'm returned to the entrance. If I'd found Manbo before going back in to look for secret passages I could have saved myself some time. Oh well.

I head back out and continue exploring to the left, finding nothing. To the right, there's a cave:

Inside I find a Piece of Heart, putting me half-way to a new heart container. I'm not sure if diving was necessary to find it or if just swimming over would do.

I swim to the right and find my path blocked by rocks, so I head back to the left, climb out of the water, and try out the Mambo. Sure enough, I'm transported back to Manbo's pond.

While I'm there, I visit Crazy Tracy and top up my life potion. Hey, do you guys notice a... presence?

A ghost! I try to talk to it, leading Link to swing his sword. Fortunately, the entity he's being so rude to appears to be immune to injury.

Doing something at this gravestone is on my to-do, so it seems like the logical place to take a ghost. On the way I ram a few more trees, but don't find anything.

The ghost isn't interested in the gravestone.

So I head for the other graveyard. While I attack its spectral siblings, the ghost suddenly speaks! The house at the bay, or the dilapidated house as I've been calling it, is also on my to-do list, so this is fortuitous.

On the way to the bay we pass by Key Cavern and the bush I've been wanting to cut down. I'm sure the ghost won't mind a short detour.

Aww.

Second time's the charm though, and I score another secret seashell.

'BRRING! BRRING! This is Ulrira! Now you're being haunted by a ghost?! Well, how about taking him where he wants to go? Bye! CLICK!'

In other detours, I stop by a phone booth. Ulrira tells me to do what I'm doing. As I pass through the cave leading towards the house, I notice a suspicious wall. I've been looking for a suitable wall to poke with my sword, and I'm pretty sure there's a secret passage in here somewhere since there's an owl statue on the roof, so even though I can't kill the enemies in here yet I decide to take a look.

There we are! Can you hear the difference between when I poke northwards versus westwards? There's a secret here!

It's a secret no more.

Inside I find more cave. I poke around with my sword, but find nothing more.

The roof of the cave is a pretty small area. The statue promises secrets, and digging reveals a secret seashell.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Awake

I carry on towards the house, ramming a few more trees on the way. The ghost confirms I've got the right house.

...Nostalgia...
...unchanged...
...boo hoo...
...Enough...
...cemetary...
...take me...
...my grave...

Poor ghost... Also, the house is unchanged? Were the floors cracked when you lived here? And the cemetery? We were just there!

I take a shortcut to get back to the grave. I'm not sure what triggers the ghost appearing (finishing Angler's Tunnel? Entering Crazy Tracy's place enough times?), but if the developers were kind then learning the warp song might be a prerequisite.

...Thank you...
...a jar...
...in my home...
...look inside..
...bye...bye...

Fortunately the ghost is also transported by the song, and it's a short walk back to the grave. I've already broken all the jars in the ghost's house on previous visits, but I'll go have another look. After attending to a few other items on my list.

The ghost sinks into the ground and the owl appears again.

Hoot! It has been some time since our paths crossed, lad. You must dive into the waters of Martha's Bay to enter the Catfish's Maw... The closer you get to the Wind Fish, the more restless he sleeps. Carry onward! Hoot!

As usual, the owl tells me where to avoid so I can do everything I can think of before progressing with the game. I wonder what happens if you ignore the ghost's request? Can you make it to the end of the game while haunted? Do you get a different speech from the owl here if you've already been through the Catfish's Maw?

Anyway, the bay being to the south, I head north into the mountains again. A couple updates ago I speculated that there might be a secret passage here. Let's check:

Nope! I find nothing with the sword, then decide to try bombing it anyway to no effect. Darn.

I do some more poking, finding nothing, then head for the body of water that blocked my passage before. Swimming into it, I have the choice of going up the stairs or across to the right. I take the latter option.

It leads to a cave, the first room of which has a suspicious look. I try the sword, and sure enough it sounds different. I bomb my way through and carry on.

It leads to a room with five chests! Wow! I pause for a second to figure out how best to open them, then decide I'll just get what I can and pick up the rest on the way back. I manage four, each of which contains 20 Rupees.

Outside is a small platform with a chest containing a secret seashell. I think that makes 19 of them. Must be getting close to something good now.

Coming back, the rocks are reset, but now all the chests are open, even the one I couldn't reach. Hopefully it didn't contain anything unique. Perhaps smarter minds than mine can figure this out, but so far as I can see you can't reach all the chests in one go if you enter from the top. Totally doable from below, though.

I head back and carry on through the cave. There's a hole in the next outdoors area that I try falling down. Sure enough, the screen goes white, indicating I've found a path somewhere. How exciting!

Oh. This is the cave I found the Piece of Heart in earlier in the update. It's not exciting.

I retrace my steps and this time go up the stairs. They lead to a lengthy passage and a glimpse of a few more caves ahead.

Carrying on I come to a big hole. Better turn back and take the upper path.

But that just leads to another gap I can't cross, so I head back to the mountain pool and take the stairs.

It leads me to the house I saw when I was rescuing Papahl, a cave, and a path to the east.

I head east and find a secret seashell under a rock, taking me to 20. Carrying on I reach a small mountaintop area where I don't seem to be able to do anything. I thought maybe I could drop from the bridge to the area below, but I can't.

Chickens these days don't have the fighting spirit they used to! In the old days, they could fly, flap flap! But now, see? Cluck cluck!

Despite his complaints about them, this guy is feeding the chickens. I assume he's talking about flying chickens because there's one in my future, so I add finding it to my to-do list.

The path to the left is impassable at present, so I enter the cave. Heading left I see what appears to be a bird themed key. I can't reach it, though.

All these blocks at first look like they'll be hard to get past, but it's actually pretty easy.

This gap is beyond my powers at present, though. On to the list!

On the way back out I decide to see if these holes lead anywhere. They do! This waterfall is directly south of the cave entrance, and north of Manbo's cave.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 AM
Awake

'BRRING! BRRING! Hi, it's Ulrira! The Catfish's mouth is wide open? It sounds like a great place to dive! Bye! CLICK!'

I use the Ocarina to get out of the mountains, and call Ulrira. I'm not sure I agree with him re: the appeal of diving into a fish's mouth. Anyway, I expect I'll be doing that next update. For now, I head to the Seashell Mansion. I've had a tip about this place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMer View Post
The trees outside the Seashell Manor actually talk

Well that was a surprise! Hey! I'll tell you a secret! Use your sword to poke at dungeon walls... If you hear a hollow clank, you can break the wall with a Bomb!

They do! Both say the same thing. I've already been making use of this tip, thanks to the magic of Talking Time. I head inside with my 20 seashells, and the epilepsy warning spoilerpop on the next gif should give you a clue about how that goes:

Warning: Rapid flashing gif.

I get the level 2 sword. Nice! Let's try it out:

Kapow! It kills the moblins in one hit, and fires a projectile! Enjoy that in this gif, because it only happens when Link is at full health, which isn't often with me in control.

Since I'm pretty much in the area, I head for the stone field north of Animal Village. I find a fairy in the tree there, then head for the cave near the waterfall.

Do you want to challenge the river rapids on a raft? Proceed to the office at once, please!

It leads to a one-way drop to a staircase, which takes me to the area east of Angler's Tunnel, where a sign promises a raft ride. This should probably have been on my to-do since Sale mentioned it ages ago. I'll just add it on and check it off now.

Want to go on a raft ride for a hundred Rupees? Okay, the raft is ready for you outside! Enjoy!

I pay the man and get on the raft. Initially it takes me along a gentle current above some waterfalls, then I drop down the last one and into the rapids.

It's a pretty big area, with lots of flying rupees, hearts, bombs, arrows, and powder to collect. All of the water is flowing in one direction or another, and the raft cannot be ridden against the current. I manage to take the path with probably the least stuff on it and to miss most of what is on that route. I also fail to fully explore it. I'll have to take another shot, going down the waterfalls on the first screen of the rapids. There's also a chest next to a stairway. I think I'll have to reach that from underground. At the end of the rapids I reach the cave that led me to the entrance earlier.

Here's a fairly representative gif of my trip through the rapids.

I activate the statue on the island and find a cave. Unfortunately it's got another gap I can't cross in it, so I head back up. I also get a glimpse at another dungeon entrance (I presume). The keyhole there might take the Face Key?

Being able to swim makes the trip across the river easier. I plan to talk to the swimmer in the next update, so I pass her by for now. I thought there'd be something under the bush on this small island, but I don't find it. Those stairs in the bushes, though...

Man, I could have done this ages ago!

Wouldn't have been able to cross this deep water, though. It leads me to another skull altar.

Using some fairy dust summons a demon.

Hey, Kid! You woke me up from a fine nap!! ...Thanks a lot! But now, I'll get my revenge! Are you ready?! Okay, I'll let you carry more Bombs! He He He! Are you ready?!

Sounds good! (More flashing in this gif)

Heh Heh Heh! You deserve it! Now look at all that junk you have to carry! Hah! Take care! See you again!

Oh no! Link's poor back! This is just like when my powder carrying capacity was doubled earlier in the game. Presumably at some point I'm going to get my arrow capacity doubled, too. Maybe I should add that to the list.

I head back out and to the house to get my reward for helping the ghost.

I smash all the pots and get nothing for my troubles. What's the deal here? I think what's going on, here and with the bush on the island a few minutes ago, is that I've gotten 20 seashells and the reward, so they aren't dropping any more. Or I'm missing something.

Anyway, that's enough for today.

Next time:
I guess I'll dive into the Catfish's Maw? Unless I find too many other things to do first.

Map:

To-Do:
  • Reach the stairs south of the Mermaid statue.
    -Get the chest near the crystals in the cave in the mountain to the east of Mt. Tamaranch.
    -Cross the gap (going east-west) in the cave at the very north-east of the map.
    -Cross the big gap (going north-south) in the cave at the very north-east of the map.
    -Cross the gap in the bridge west of the Chicken Man's house.
    -Cross the gap in the cave below the Chicken Man's house.
    -Cross the gap in the cave under the statue on the island north of Animal Village.
  • Learn to swim.
    -Cross the water to the east of the waterfall in the mountains near where Papahl got lost.
    -North of the Witch's hut.
    -East of the dilapidated house.
    -By the owl statue north-east of the stone field.
  • Find a flying chicken.
  • Do something at the grave west of the witch's hut.
  • Do something at Manbo's Pond.
  • Check the jars in the ghost's house.
  • Talk to the trees outside the Seashell Mansion
  • Ride the rapids on a raft.
    -Fully explore the rapids.
  • Reach the chest on the island in the rapids.
  • Grasp Schule's art.
  • Get to the owl statue to the right of the lake above Richard's place.
    -Figure out how to kill the moving skulls and explore the cave under the owl.
  • Kill the moving skull in the cave under Richard's house.
  • Reach the piece of heart in the cave in the mountain to the east of Mt. Tamaranch.
  • Do something in the house east of the beach.
  • Get into the closed off area northeast of the house east of the beach.
  • Find a demon to double my arrow carrying capacity.
  • Check for a hidden room near the flying heart in Anglerís Tunnel.
  • Collect a lot of secret seashells.
    -Have something pretty ordinary happen.
    -Have something good happen.
    -Learn to play "Manbo's Mambo".
  • Dive into the waters of Martha's Bay to enter the Catfish's Maw.
  • Use a key in the keyhole north of Animal Village.
  • Get the bird key in the cave below the Chicken Man's house.
    -Find the Conch Horn.
    -Find the Surf Harp.
    -Find the four remaining instruments.
    -Wake the Wind Fish.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Outraged!

Wow, I'm impressed with how quickly you got to 20 shells. I've beaten this game several times and only found 20 once and that was near the end of the game. I had no idea there were so many extra.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Oh, right, since you have both bombs and arrows now, try equipping both and hitting both buttons at the same time. The timing's a little finicky, but something neat should happen.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
I love this room because the first time you get here it's just like buhhh....? A totally insurmountable obstacle and there's nothing from any previous game that would even hint about how you're supposed to cross.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:

...Nostalgia...
...unchanged...
...boo hoo...
...Enough...
...cemetary...
...take me...
...my grave...
All the great little character moments in this game make it feel like the direct antecedent of Majora's Mask with its similar focus on NPCs and their respective stories. I love LTTP, but having finished Link's Awakening first myself, it always felt lacking in the charming characterization department.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Yes, the three "why is nothing here" spots you found are Secret Seashells that don't spawn any more because you already had Something Good Happen.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Sadly, I don't think there's a way. You need to get through the four central boulders; you can only push the left one down at first, and then your only moves (middle down or bottom-right left) block the path. You've gotta seal off that left chest.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Another hint: now that you have the L2 sword, you might wanna try hitting different things with it, particularly ceramic ones; you might find the gameplay has gotten a bit more streamlined and hassle free.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:01 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:

There we are! Can you hear the difference between when I poke northwards versus westwards? There's a secret here!
Quote:
This arguably loses something without sound.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 PM
I have a Plan

Trying to enter a dungeon with a ghost is not allowed. The ghost just says "no I don't want that".
Old 08-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Wow, I'm impressed with how quickly you got to 20 shells. I've beaten this game several times and only found 20 once and that was near the end of the game. I had no idea there were so many extra.
I think most people playing the game donít make a map and a list of everything that catches their attention, and they probably donít try to avoid progress until theyíve done everything they can, so I have a bit of an advantage in finding things.

Quote:
Oh, right, since you have both bombs and arrows now, try equipping both and hitting both buttons at the same time. The timing's a little finicky, but something neat should happen.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
Another hint: now that you have the L2 sword, you might wanna try hitting different things with it, particularly ceramic ones; you might find the gameplay has gotten a bit more streamlined and hassle free.
!

This is exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Trying to enter a dungeon with a ghost is not allowed. The ghost just says "no I don't want that".
Aww.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Awake

Default Let's Play Link's Awakening, part C: Percy's Theft

Hello again! Long-term readers of this LP may remember I did a couple of side updates playing as "Percy". Here's another one! The plan this time is to show off an alternative way to get the bow.

Sorry boss, I lost your save file.

I dunno what I did with the save from the previous Percy updates, so I have to start over, heading back to the beach to get the sword. Then I cut grass until I have ten rupees.

I turn those ten rupees into two hundred and ten rupees at the Trendy Game. It's kinda dull. Luckily for you all, this isn't a video LP.

I use my gains to buy the shovel, which causes the shop to start stocking the bow.

If you walk behind the shopkeeper, he turns around to follow you, but there's some lag. It's possible to get behind his back, but if he turns back before you're out the door you'll be stopped.

I keep trying, and on my fourth or fifth attempt I make it!

So proud!

Percy celebrates with some animal cruelty. Sorry boss, I lost my morals when we went through that door.

The next thing to show off relating to this requires having someone say my name. Marin's dialogue at this point doesn't include it, so I get some powder from the game and use it on Tarin, causing him to go home and go to sleep. Let's go see Marin!

She knows what we did! Let's go back to the shop and see if we can return this thing and make it all better (warning: flashing):

Doesn't look good.

I save and quit, and on returning to the file select, Percy's name is still there as usual. The shopkeeper seems to have forgiven me, too. Perhaps my crimes are forgotten?

Nope! I believe everyone will call you THIEF for the rest of the game if you do this, and you'll deserve it.

That's it for Percy!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

The worst part about this "feature" is that there's a photo album (maybe exclusive to DX?) that gives you illustrations of various events in the game, and in order to complete the album, you need to steal from the shop.

It's like if Undertale had an album that required you to do a genocide run.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

It is DX only, yes (although the confusion is understandable since oddly enough the pictures themselves are in pea-green only; go figure), and I remember the frustration well.

The worst part? I didn't even complete the photo album, I missed a couple pics more, so it was for naught, for naught I'm telling you. ;_;

I did not learn my lesson that day and am still too OCD when playing games.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The pictures were monochrome because it was one of the few games compatible with the GB Printer, which was grayscale only.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Awake

Default Let's Play Link's Awakening, part 17: Link's Necklace

Link's back, and still outside the ghost's house.

I take a left. Let's check the list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Do
Get off the island, I guess?
I can swim, and here's a beach. Let's do it!

Oh.

While I'm in the area, I head for the beach cave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Do
Do something in the cave on the beach.
I poke around with the sword, but don't find anything. The purpose of this cave remains a mystery.

I head back east and prepare for something else on my list:

Quote:
Oh, right, since you have both bombs and arrows now, try equipping both and hitting both buttons at the same time.

Let's be honest: this is overkill. And, given these guys can talk if you powder them, maybe murder?

When I was swimming in the bay, the waves took a very important necklace from around my neck! If you find it, I will let you take a scale from my tail!

I pop into the water to talk to the mermaid. She's missing a necklace, but I haven't got one. Yet.

I made a gif of the mermaid's idle animation. This was harder than it seems: she's out of sync with the water animation. I thought I'd made a note of the difference when I was making it, but it seems I didn't. I think her bob-up-and-down animation is 64 frames and the water is on a 80-something frame cycle, which is kind of odd. The gif is made from a few cycles, but there's still a pause in the water at one point from the mismatch.

Anyways, I head north and check out the waters around Richard's former castle.

I'm rewarded with a piece of heart. Almost there!

I also check out the little area between the castle's main entrance and the bridge built by monkeys, but don't find anything.

I head back to the raft shop to try the path I didn't take last time. While I'm there, I remember something:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post

Sadly, the gameplay doesn't seem to be any more streamlined or hassle free. Oh well.

I head for the extreme left path, but fail to reach it.

As a result, this chest is out of reach.

I get the one on the next screen, though. No idea what the owl statue is talking about. Maybe I should try opening the map on this screen? Maybe I'll get a telescope or something later? Maybe there's just a secret somewhere far away from here? That's not a helpful tip if so. Could it be that talking to this owl statue activates a secret in the far-away beach cave? That's probably wishful thinking.

I try digging in case there's a secret here, but no dice. The next screen has an unreachable island, but there's probably nothing there either.

On my next attempt I make it to the other chest. What's inside?

20 Rupees! Not very exciting! It occurred to me when I was putting the update together that I should have checked the wall behind the chest for bombability, so I'll add that to the list.

On my way to the Animal Village I try out my L2 sword on a different obstacle, but it doesn't work.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:21 AM
Awake

Ahhh... Yess... That dust was so refreshing... For that, I'll tell you a hint! Use a Bomb in a place where the sand swallows you... There is a treat on the other side of the wall... Bye!

I head through the village and back to the desert. Powdering the skull here makes it talk, suggesting a secret in the cave under the area's boss. I did actually use some bombs in there, but looking back at the gif, I missed the north wall. Full disclosure here: when Marin was with me I checked a Link's Awakening secrets list online so I wouldn't miss anything she reacts to, and that's where I found out about this skeleton, though I forgot it was there on my first pass at the area. I've been trying to avoid looking stuff up, so I feel a little like I let myself down.

Anyways, I head to the cave and poke the walls with the sword.

Success!

Another heart!

I head back to the cave by the Animal Village and this blocked gap. I have a tool for unblocking it now:

I still can't make the jump, though. Oh well. I think the intended solution to the cracked block is to throw a bomb over the barrier above it, which implies there's some way into that section of the cave.

I find a hidden passage in an earlier room of the cave, allowing me to reach that area. But I can't do anything there.

I head back out and bump a few more trees on my way to the bridge south-west of the village. A few updates ago, an owl statue suggested there might be something under it.

Sure enough, diving nearby causes the screen to fade.

Oh! What is that you have in your hand? It's not a fishing hook, is it? You had better let me have it. I'll give you my next catch if you let me have it...

There's a fisherman down here, and he wants my hook.

He uses it to fish up a necklace! I've been looking for one of those. L-l-lucky!

Ahh! That's it! That's my necklace! Give it! Give it back! I will give you a scale as I said!

I head back out and revisit the mermaid.

I give her the necklace, and Link dives underwater to pluck a scale, then she swims away.

I try taking the scale to Schule, since he made a mermaid statue, but he shows no interest. I'm guessing I'll be using the scale at the statue itself, but I can't get there yet.

While I'm in town I notice a quirk of the engine: if you cross a screen edge moving diagonally and change direction during the transition you can make Link go backwards.

After that I head one screen south from where the mermaid was to find the Catfish's Maw. Diving at the inlet leads to an underwater passage. Ulrira's current phone message gives a clue about this.

Heading inside, I find Level 5 -- Catfish's Maw, and that's it for today.

Next Time:

Level 5 -- Catfish's Maw

Map:

To-Do:
    -Cross the gap (going east-west) in the cave at the very north-east of the map.
    -Cross the big gap (going north-south) in the cave at the very north-east of the map.
    -Cross the gap in the bridge west of the Chicken Man's house.
    -Cross the gap in the cave below the Chicken Man's house.
    -Cross the gap in the cave under the statue on the island north of Animal Village.
  • Learn to swim.
  • Find a flying chicken.
  • Find the mermaid's necklace
  • Return the mermaid's necklace
  • Find a use for the mermaid's scale.
  • Equip bombs and arrows and hit both buttons at the same time.
  • Try hitting different things with the L2 sword, particularly ceramic ones.
  • Ride the rapids on a raft.
    -Fully explore the rapids.
    -Bomb the wall behind the first chest.
    -Open the map near the second chest.
  • Reach the chest on the south-west island in the rapids.
  • Grasp Schule's art.
  • Figure out how to kill the moving skulls
    -Kill the moving skulls in the cave to the right of the lake above Richard's house.
    -Kill the moving skull in the cave under Richard's house.
  • Find a demon to double my arrow carrying capacity.
    -Learn to play "Manbo's Mambo".
  • Dive into the waters of Martha's Bay to enter the Catfish's Maw.
  • Explore the Catfish's Maw.
  • Use a key in the keyhole north of Animal Village.
  • Get the bird key in the cave below the Chicken Man's house.
    -Find the Conch Horn.
    -Find the Surf Harp.
    -Find the four remaining instruments.
    -Wake the Wind Fish.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:47 PM
I have a Plan

Whaaaaat the skeleton can talk?!

Although who would even think to use powder on the skeleton in the first place?

Tags
burninating farm animals , kishi lays down knowledge , legend of zelda , proto malon and talon , to-do lists are great