The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Little Waves

In California:

Torrance
Kula (Sushi) - High-quality conveyor belt sushi. Every plate is two dollars.

Gardena
Asa (Ramen) - Great ramen with a "late-night hole in the wall" atmosphere.
El Antojito (Mexican) - Delicious authentic tacos for a dollar apiece. For dessert, creamy paletas you can have dipped in chocolate, coconut, and/or nuts.
Pizza & Chicken Love Letter (Korean Pizza/Chicken) - You can get a pizza with sweet potato on top and sweet potato mash filling the crust. Plus chicken wings—why not?
Akane Chaya (Japanese Spaghetti) - It's like Italian spaghetti but sweeter. The meat sauce is the best.

Redondo Beach
Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt (Ice Cream) - Certified by National Geographic as the best ice cream in the world (seriously). They weren't wrong, either.

Manhattan Beach
Uncle Bill's Pancake House (Breakfast) - A cornucopia of pancake varieties, plus Mitch's Scramble. Right by the beach.

Los Angeles
Pann's Restaurant (Diner) - Better chicken and waffles than Roscoe's. 'Nuff said.
Shabu Shabu House (Shabu Shabu) - You haven't really had shabu shabu until you've eaten here. Simple yet delicious thanks to high-end ingredients. My favorite place to eat in the world.

Beverly Hills
The Stinking Rose (Steakhouse/Garlic) - Life-changing USDA Prime steak. Tons of garlic in everything.

Claremont
The Back Abbey (Gourmet Burgers) - Thirteen-dollar burgers, worth every penny.

L.A. County
Porto's Bakery & Cafe (Cuban/Bakery) - God-tier pastries and Cuban sandwiches. Locations in Downey, Glendale, and Burbank.

In Arkansas:

Fayetteville
Greenhouse Grille (Fancypants Grill) - Buffalo burgers and sliced shiitake "fries."
AQ Chicken House (Fried Chicken) - Buttery batter in abundance. The best fried chicken I've ever had.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 AM
borgn

Quote:
Every plate is two dollars.
Every plate? Is it all spicy mayo tuna rolls or something?
Old 05-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Little Waves

They've got the basics, fancy stuff, and everything in between. They try to balance it out in some cases (like toro) by only putting one piece on a plate, but it's a very good deal overall.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Minnesota Nice

Performing some threadcromancy to ask for recommendations in Nashville. I'll be downtown for a conference most of next week.

But while I'm here I'll rattle off some Twin Cities recs!

For Burgs:
Matt's Bar - Supposed originator of the Jucy Lucy, and by far the purest form of the art. Have you heard about the cheese? Also not bad on the wallet, two lucy's, a basket of fries, and pitcher of Two Hearted will run you about $40. But bring cash.

The 5-8 Club - Also claims to have created the Juicy(?!) Lucy. Still good, and their menu offers more selections than Matt's.

The Blue Door Pub - My personal favorite, if only because they have a location a few blocks from my house. They call them Blucy's here, and offer a large selection of different burg/chez combos.

The Nook - More burgs of the chez stuffed variety. With a small bowling alley downstairs!

If you were to force me to rank them for taste I'd probably go: Matt's > Blue Door > Nook > 5-8. If you were to force me to rank them for convenience's sake when dining with kids: Blue Door > Nook > 5-8 > Matt's.

For Pizza:
Hello Pizza - I'm from New York originally. This place and the next are the closest approximation of the stuff I grew up with on Long Island. It also has Lionel Ritchie's face on the wall.

Andrea Pizza - I've only seen them in the mpls skyways, but they are almost exactly a Long Island pizza parlor, with the dingy eating area, red pepper and parm shakers.

For Noodles:
Ramen Kazama - YES

moto-I - Also Yes, but not YES. But they do brew their own sake. Being not a big sake drinker, it's uh, okay?

For Breakfast:
Hi-Lo Diner - This place will hit your wallet. But the corned beef hash brings a tear to my eye.

Tiny Diner - Locally sourced dishes. I remember mine was good, but also that my daughter loved running around the little garden area.

For Donuts:
Bogart's - That brown-butter glaze. It's ridiculously rich. Not a huge selection, but all solid and once they sell out they are done for the day.

Glam Doll Donuts - Lots of different types. All wonderful.

Ok I'm at work and I can't spend another half hour on this.

Last edited by StriderDL; 08-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:36 AM
Outraged!

Bro, Pizza Luce. C’mon.

Matt’s is fun but very dive bar compared to the rest. Cash only last time I was there (10 years ago at this point).

Longfellow grill is my favorite of the blue plate or whatever they call that little coalition of diners. Turkey burger is divine and they have all the beers on tap. Breakfast menu is no slouch either but good luck getting a table on a weekend morning.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:38 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Nashville:

There's a lot of good hot chicken places. Martin's BBQ was cheap and great. Flying Saucer has an excellent beer selection.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Minnesota Nice

Pizza Luce is an alright pizza, but definitely below Hello and Andrea for me. I neglected to include the neapolitan-style Punch and Lola, too! And I have to get to all the fancy places like Spoon and Stable. Work in progress.

Good point about Matt's being cash only. I have edited.