The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Hey guys, I'm only up to episode 3 of the 2005 season. Can we restrict discussion to those three episodes? I don't want to have to worry about spoilers.
Not likely to happen in the week between parts one and two of the finale, but I'll make an effort to spoiler space everything.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:52 AM
Your life is forfeit

I was kidding, actually. Not about the fact that I've just started watching the series, but about everyone else hobbling their discussion for my benefit.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I was kidding, actually. Not about the fact that I've just started watching the series, but about everyone else hobbling their discussion for my benefit.
Susan's grandfather is more than he seems!

Discussion of the Season 4 finale would spoil pretty much all four seasons; so far, the Season 5 discussion only spoils several major story lines.

Season 1 gets pretty good at Father's Day and becomes great at The Empty Child.

The Aliens of London two-parter ahead of you is pretty terrible though.

Last edited by Grignr; 12-31-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Nah, Unquiet Dead's great as well, and was the first sign the show could do a classically-styled episode.

Best of the first season is Dalek, however, as that's Eccleston's best performance in the role. I don't particularly care for Moffat's two-parter - the second half is a really weak episode. Although part of that is that I now hate the Captain Jack character more than any other associated with the new series, even including Donna.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:31 AM

But it's really fun if you're just going into it cold, which is the best way to do it.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
Great, thanks for saving me the trouble of learning these things for myself. It's just so much trouble to experience it as it comes. Maybe you could just bullet-point the major spoilers from the first few seasons while you're at it.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Who's Susan?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Who's Susan?
Someone from the first season, like 1960's first season.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:38 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

That joke flew so far over everyone's head I think NORAD's tracking it now.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Nah, Unquiet Dead's great as well, and was the first sign the show could do a classically-styled episode.

Best of the first season is Dalek, however, as that's Eccleston's best performance in the role. I don't particularly care for Moffat's two-parter - the second half is a really weak episode. Although part of that is that I now hate the Captain Jack character more than any other associated with the new series, even including Donna.
Let's not say things we can't take back, now.

And 'Dalek' might be my favorite single episode of the series.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
That joke flew so far over everyone's head I think NORAD's tracking it now.
I try my best!

It's a non-spoiler for the first episode of the original '63 Doctor Who. Susan's "grandfather" is The Doctor.

Last edited by Grignr; 12-31-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Well I laughed. Although I'll be honest - it took about ten seconds for the penny to drop.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:04 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Default Still not ginger

I quite enjoyed that, although the irony of the Doctor being killed by a Deus Ex Machina wasn't lost on me, and the epilogue and the TARDIS exploding regeneration was a bit much.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Maggots! Numbnuts!

Who the crap called that Ensign Frame will date Jack on the bingo cards? That was the longest shot imaginable.

I refuse to use your spoiler text because I don't know how.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Cthulhu View Post
Who the crap called that cupcakes taste delicious on the bingo cards? That was the longest shot imaginable.

I refuse to use your spoiler text because I don't know how.
It's SPOILER in square brackets followed by /SPOILER also in square brackets.

Yeah, I call shenanigans on that one too.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Hawkguy

Doctor Who finale is in process of being downloaded!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:06 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Doctor Who finale is in process of being downloaded!
SEVEN HUNDRED FREAKING MEGS. I think odds are good I'm going to get Confidential done before I get through the finale, which of course is pointless. I've gotten a couple of 'you were right' text messages, but I don't know what they actually refer to.

I'm rewatching the Confidential episode attached to Blink for the hundredth time to kill a few minutes. It's still probably my favourite thing ever attached to the new series, since it's just Tennant engaging in a Doctor Who geekfest with everyone significant on the show [NOTE - this one's packed with spoilers].

Which reminds me - Parish, I think I've mentioned this before, but here's the best primer they've done on the history behind the shows. 20-something seasons in 30 minutes. The narration is by a... familiar... voice.

Last edited by Sven; 01-01-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Hawkguy

I have just started the episode and am currently geeking out.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I did let myself peek at the 'next time' trailer because, well, THAT'S not a spoiler. Looks like they blew the entire budget on the Leonardo De Vinci episode.

Last edited by Sven; 01-01-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Hawkguy

awww that was sad
Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
SEVEN HUNDRED FREAKING MEGS.
I find it hilarious that someone caught up in a show about a time-travellin' doctor could, himself, be so far behind the times. 700mb (especially for a 2hour, as I assume this is) is nothing. If it's a big deal to you, your internet sucks, and you should see about bringing it up to 20XX spec.

Danke on the Dimensions link tho, I've been interested in a "classic Doctor" summary.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
awww that was sad
Were I Davies, I wouldn't have been able to resist naming the finale Bad Wilf. He worked just about every other reference into the last minutes of the show.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
(especially for a 2hour, as I assume this is)
And that is where you're wrong. 'Twas only an hour.

Although the weirder thing was Confidential coming in at a really good speed while the actual episode clammed up.

Anyway, after dealing with that bit of predictable stupidity, onto the actual episode...

- Only RTD could build up to the Time Lords returning for five years and then blow them off in 30 minutes. He and Vince Russo must have had drinks together at some point.

- Tennant went out on a rather high note, which was nice.

- Gee, the only two black companions got married. Never saw that coming at all. Nope, not a bit. What was wrong with Martha just marrying Tom and just being a doctor?. Oh, right, that would be too much dignity for her.

- Similarly, the aforementioned WTF moment of Jack's new partner isn't that shocking - RTD praised the actor, which means he'd automatically make his character gay.

- Still wasn't as actively awful as stuff like Journey's End, Last of the Time Lords or Parting of the Ways - as a whole, it was actually a rather good episode - but I think it's safe to say that no one's going to be broken up about RTD leaving. Hopefully the rather shockingly low ratings for these two episodes - down two million from last Christmas once all the fiddling with the HD numbers works out - will be a bit of a sign that things went too far in a camp direction towards the end.

- Confidential was great. I never realised that the reason David looked so messed up at the end of The Satan Pit was that it was Billie's last scene. And his non-speech was really touching. I hadn't realised how totally divorced from the Matt Smith casting RTD was, if he really hadn't even met him until his first day on set.

- On the positive side of things, the acting was universally good. Bernard Cribbins is someone I didn't really appreciate until this episode, but he carried the second half. Tennant went out on a high note, and while I was slightly off in him getting the Davison sendoff, I shouldn't have been surprised that Davies would be far more literal in that type of scene. But, heck, even the actress who played Martha's mom was really good.

- Radiation Poisoning is the first repeat regeneration-causer [edit - for the Doctor specifically; I know there's been two regenerations caused by different Time Lords being shot, for instance]. And in a neat bit of consistency, it didn't kill right away on both occasions.

- Missed opportunity - when asked if he was happy by the author, the Doctor should have replied 'I could have been' just to twist the knife in a bit more.

So much for Number 10. Still wish they could just erase Season Four from existence altogether, but, in the end, it was a good tenure for the ultimate ascended fanboy.

Last edited by Sven; 01-04-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah, Davies left the way he came, flawed yet pretty good. And I'm gonna miss Tennant.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Yeah, what in the Hell was that Captain Jack bit for? I'm sure that a dying Time Lord has better things to do than set him up on a date.

I really hope someone drops a safe on the good Captain fairly quickly in the next series.

Last edited by Phantoon; 01-04-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Yeah, what in the Hell was that Captain Jack bit for? I'm sure that a dying Time Lord has better things to do than set him up on a date.
Well, it's not like the Doctor has to save him from anything like he did in the first two bits.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I Cuss You Bad

The episode gets added nerd points though as Timothy Dalton's character was called Rassilon.

Last edited by Phantoon; 01-04-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
The episode gets added nerd points though as Timothy Dalton's character was called Rassilon.
I fully expect that there are galactic flamewars on the Who fansite boards over that one. But, yes, that was great, even if it probably invalidated about five Big Finish stories in one fell swoop.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I Cuss You Bad

I've just watched "The Keeper of Traken". It's a tad hammy with quite a lot of people saying "Eeeeeeevil" and was apparently made for about 50 pence but it was really rather enjoyable and had a really ingenious twist (even though I did guess it quite quickly). Tom Baker was a damn good Doctor too.

Dear me Adric was a precocious little git. I can see why people hated him so much.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Mreh?!?

I'm doing my best to get my lady friend into the series.

We tried starting at the beginning with the Season 1 DVD. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but to me at least, the audio mixing was horrible on the first season set. The music is so much louder than the dialogue, that we had to give up... Well... She gave up.

I didn't give up. I got her to watch Blink, and she thought it was cool and admitted that she wanted to see more. I was thinking of taking another episode that is pretty good stand alone, where she doesn't need to know much about the overall plot, but nothing is really jumping out at me. Any suggestions, Talking Time?

I think it'd be best to stick to a one parter.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff