The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luana View Post
The crack's appearance, Rory's death and Amy's (and the Doctor's) grief were the only things I liked about the two-parter. The engagement ring and Amy's passing comment before she got into the TARDIS ("You boys and your locks"), as well as her thinking she saw Future!Rory on the hill, suggest that her time-traveling experiences -- and possibly twoo wub -- caused a glimmer of a memory to linger about in her.
This is mostly what I loved about it, but I thought the episodes in general were pretty good, tense stuff.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
Also, is anyone else getting really tired of the musical theme for this season?
Nope, still love it.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Also, is anyone else getting really tired of the musical theme for this season? I got really pumped when it played in the first episode when the doctor was getting ready to address the Atraxi, but now it almost seems like a parody of itself. The doctor's about to kick some ass -- cue uplifting music!
The overuse of music - and, worse, REALLY ANNOYING over-the-top symphonic music - is my biggest complaint about the new series. What really emphasized it was "Time Crash"*, which they scored like a Davison era episode. It was so goddamned beautifully silent for a lot of it (except for the minimalist electronic stuff that was a deliberate throwback).

Didn't think much of this one. First part was average, but the second half just didn't have enough tension because the real driving point of the problem - the dead Silurian - was divorced from the Doctor, so there was a narrative disconnect.

The disconnected nature carries forward to everything - the first part was all about characterising the humans, and then the second was all about the Silurians' actions and their inter-species conflicts. It just didn't make any sense from a writing perspective.

Remember how I said the whole setup of Rory tagging along reminded me a bit too much of Mickey's? Well, being written off at the end of a two-parter a couple episodes into his ride along meshes up almost exactly.

Last five minutes were really good, but it was a waste of 90 minutes to get to that.

* - Incedentally, since that counts as part of Season 3, Season 3 is the best season by definition.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

While I suspect Victory of the Daleks will be what most people call this season's worst episode, these last two are definitely going to be my least favorite. The conflict was pretty stupid, I felt that the handling of all the female characters were handled pretty poorly, and everyone seemed out of character. Also the fact that the narration for the second episode mentioned the Doctor's losses. What losses exactly, since no one should remember Rory (and while I knew he was going to die, his death was pointless for the episode), and everyone else survived really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
Also, is anyone else getting really tired of the musical theme for this season? I got really pumped when it played in the first episode when the doctor was getting ready to address the Atraxi, but now it almost seems like a parody of itself. The doctor's about to kick some ass -- cue uplifting music!
I'm still not too tired of it, since I love the theme still, it's mostly all the other music. It's really noticeable on my TV, since the mix is so very off (even on the DVDs for previous seasons), so the music is really overbearing.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 PM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
It's really noticeable on my TV, since the mix is so very off (even on the DVDs for previous seasons), so the music is really overbearing.
I've noticed this too. It's like watching an 80s movie where the talking is super quiet, and the music and explosions are loud as hell.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
The disconnected nature carries forward to everything - the first part was all about characterising the humans, and then the second was all about the Silurians' actions and their inter-species conflicts. It just didn't make any sense from a writing perspective.
So true, except I would argue that the first part was a poor attempt at character development to begin with.

Quote:
Remember how I said the whole setup of Rory tagging along reminded me a bit too much of Mickey's? Well, being written off at the end of a two-parter a couple episodes into his ride along meshes up almost exactly.
Do you really think he's going to stay dead? I don't, not for one moment.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Do you really think he's going to stay dead? I don't, not for one moment.
Well, as much as Mickey stayed banished.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Well, as much as Mickey stayed banished.
I really don't think that's going to happen. They're really setting up this fairytale business, and... I don't know, I'm getting the feeling that while Princess Amy saves herself and the world (something they've set up in "Flesh and Stone", it will be her love for Rory that will save the day. I don't read spoilers (at least not intentionally), but I'm really hoping that Arthur Darvill comes back next season, and not in some amnesiac sort of way. I really liked the chemistry he and Matt Smith had together.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Hawkguy

I watched the latest Confidential and Darvill seemed a bit broken up about it.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:11 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
I watched the latest Confidential and Darvill seemed a bit broken up about it.
Yeah, but do you really think they'd do anything to give away the finale? Of course Darvill's going to look sad, but I wouldn't count Rory out just yet.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Yeah, but do you really think they'd do anything to give away the finale?[/spoiler].
Um, ok?

Doctor Who Adventures: City of the Daleks is out for the UK, but if you’re not in the UK, torrents for it have popped up.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I really don't think that's going to happen.
You really missed the point of that line. Mickey's "banishment" lasted for six episodes.

sdraymonds: supposedly, the game isn't in its final form yet, so downloader beware.

It is downright WEIRD to see it getting coverage on 1up's main page, though.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Hawkguy

I really don't know what the point of the latest episode was.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
An excellent, quiet character piece with a sweet ending. That was the point. Not everything has to tie into some big giant arc plot. This isn't Buffy or BSG, thank god.

Frankly, the show needs more episodes like this one (although I still haven't figured out why the alien looked like a giant chicken).
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
An excellent, quiet character piece with a sweet ending. That was the point.
Ah, ok. I found it odd what with the happiness at the end when all of the other episodes in this season somehow tied into the main story arc.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Man, I really enjoyed this episode, I don't know if it was because I went in with low expectations, or what, but this was probably one of my favorites (and so much better than the last two.

Quote:
Ah, ok. I found it odd what with the happiness at the end when all of the other episodes in this season somehow tied into the main story arc.
There were a couple of arc bits in the episode still, the Doctor hiding Rory's existence, Amy being sad because of something, more talk of how one can't change the past, and more pictures of the earlier Doctors, which is probably just an easter egg, but it's been coming up a lot this season.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 AM
who's she

I posted another review.

I haven't watched any of the new season yet, so I'm still refraining from reading this thread too closely.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
I found it odd what with the happiness at the end when all of the other episodes in this season somehow tied into the main story arc.
I'm assuming it ties in thematically, especially the "we can't change fix everything but we can add moments of happiness to a lifetime to balance the sad ones" idea.

Pure (spoilerish) conjecture:

So Amy worked as a kiss-o-gram girl in a small town. How does that work? Wouldn't all the local lads figure out that when they order a kiss-o-gram, it's AMY that shows up? Seems like this would pad for her college tuition fund pretty quick. And why isn't an adventurous, smart girl attending a university by now, or moving to the big city and becaming a model? Is she hanging around her village because she wants to be there when the Doctor returns? Will the finale reveal an alternate Amy timeline without her remembering the Doctor and going on to bigger things and leaving her small village behind?

Last edited by Grignr; 06-06-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

One point that people seem to be forgetting:

Just because the last two major companions only lasted one series, there's nothing that says this one will as well.

One thing from flipping back - Amy remembers the bit with the Stone Angels because she's a time traveller. But she can't remember Rory... mostly. There's a reason for that.

Also, by process of elimination, the Cybermen are the villains for the season finale. There's a lot of footage from the season trailer that we haven't seen yet.

Next week is an adapted story, and considering the track record of those ("Dalek", "Blink", "Human Nature"... okay, "Rise of the Cybermen" kind of breaks the trend, but that was only thematically similar), I'm expecting good things.

I'm a bit ambivalent towards showing the past Doctors "so often" (considering it wasn't until "Human Nature" that any were even really hinted at on-screen, there's been imagery or, well, an actual past Doctor in about five episodes since). It feels like something that should be saved for really special occasions.

Another very good thing about the actual episode: I loved how the action climax was only about 3/4ths of the way through the episode. As much as I loathe Smallville, one of the only redeeming features of that show is that they take their time with conclusions and actually try and explore what happened. Doctor Who doesn't do it often, but it worked very well here.

Last edited by Sven; 06-06-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Just because the last two major companions only lasted one series, there's nothing that says this one will as well.
Spoilers on all known Season 5 stuff:
The season has all been about Amy's choices for her life: to be a bride to Rory or to delay that and have adventures instead. The engagement ring was evident but not referenced in her forgetting scene. Last ep she says she's not the marrying type. We've seen TARDIS fragments and the Doctor urging her to remember a moment from her childhood. It really feels like a big setup for Amy to break out of some alternate timeline and see her Doctor dolls and engagement ring and sort out the time cracks and wedding business. I'm expecting her to remain the next season companion and not because she's avoiding her wedding day (which she isn't anymore but not for good reasons).

I don't see how the Cybermen are going to fit into any of that, but surely the time cracks will be resolved this season? And why weren't there any ducks in the duck pond?

And rewatching the trailer, we haven't seen Stonehenge or horseback riding yet, either. Maybe the finale is one big plot-coupon quest through time and the Doctor just happens to bump into the Cybermen at some point.

Last edited by Grignr; 06-06-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'd love for Moffat's last rejection of RTD's style to be making the big arc end in the middle of next season or the Christmas Special, but fandom being what it is I think he won't take that chance.

There's almost too much stuff kicking around for the finals to jam in at this point, maybe drawing it out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
It's all good, man

I reject the British pronunciation of "Gogh".
Old 06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
I'm a bit ambivalent towards showing the past Doctors "so often" (considering it wasn't until "Human Nature" that any were even really hinted at on-screen, there's been imagery or, well, an actual past Doctor in about five episodes since). It feels like something that should be saved for really special occasions.
I'm thinking that it's either going to be somewhat important to the finale, or that Moffat is really trying to embrace old Who as well. Looking back, Davies seemed very content to pretty much ignore the old stuff didn't happen, which kind of bothers me, I'm glad that it's not so much the case now.

I'm really hoping that Amy stays on for longer, her interactions with the Doctor have been great, and I suspect something would be missing were she not there. I think their chemistry has been pretty important to this season, and almost seems like a redo of Rose (as in similar backgrounds (small, not impressive job, iffy boyfriend), but done right).
Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Davies seemed very content to pretty much ignore the old stuff didn't happen, which kind of bothers me, I'm glad that it's not so much the case now.
That's a decision that I agree with - he was pitching a concept that had failed twice already and trying it up with unnecessary continuity nods wasn't needed. Better to work it in slowly, but it's becoming gratuitous now (assuming it's not for a reason, but between the library card and this week that's the way it's going).

As he said, the biggest flaw with the 1996 movie was that they started the bloody thing with a regeneration. Good lord, can you imagine trying to explain that to someone who didn't have any idea what was going on?

Quote:
Kelly got annoyed by this as well. If anything, it sounded - wait for it - Pleghmish.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
That's a decision that I agree with - he was pitching a concept that had failed twice already and trying it up with unnecessary continuity nods wasn't needed. Better to work it in slowly, but it's becoming gratuitous now (assuming it's not for a reason, but between the library card and this week that's the way it's going).

As he said, the biggest flaw with the 1996 movie was that they started the bloody thing with a regeneration. Good lord, can you imagine trying to explain that to someone who didn't have any idea what was going on?
Starting off with a regeneration is a pretty stupid move, and I'd agree with Davies for the first couple of series of new Who, but I think we're at the point now that we can at least acknowledge the fact. Though, I admit, I would like it more if it tied in as oddball as it might be, I can see the nods becoming some sort of plot point, since so much of this season's arc is about the consequences of changing the past.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they did a season without bringing back any classic aliens, and a Dalek-less season would be lovely.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
That said, I wouldn't mind if they did a season without bringing back any classic aliens, and a Dalek-less season would be lovely.
While the former's probably unworkable, the latter should happen but quite simply won't because of the show's different perception in the UK. A season without the Daleks would be considered sacrilege.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
It did have significance for the overall season storyline, more than has been directly stated here. It highlights Amy's Choice's theme of suicide--which was pretty bluntly portrayed as what Amy's choice will be if she ever remembers and thus has to live with what happened to Rory--and, more importantly, adds the implication that nothing the Doctor can do, no pleasing trip or bromide, can stop her wanting to kill herself if she remembers.

Quote:
I'd love for Moffat's last rejection of RTD's style to be making the big arc end in the middle of next season or the Christmas Special, but fandom being what it is I think he won't take that chance.

There's almost too much stuff kicking around for the finals to jam in at this point, maybe drawing it out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Given that the air date for the final episode of the season is already a plot point in the arc, I'd say the odds of it concluding at the end of season are higher than the normal already-high odds.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
Man, I really enjoyed this episode
Me too! Very sentimental, and well-done.

Quote:
I think I read that the actress has signed on for a second series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Agreed.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Semi-Lurker

So it looks like Torchwood "USA"/international is happening thanks to Starz. Oh well at least they are bringing Gwen and Jack back, but I can only imagine how painful all the guest stars are going to be. Actually since I hate Torchwood, I'll probably ignore it entirely. This will be made even easier by the fact it is being done without input from the current Doctor Who production team.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Which one? There were two in the episode, "van Goff" and van Go-(gutteral sound).

Both of course being incorrect.

I liked the episode. It was sad in places and it seems to imply that somehow Amy does still remember Rory (which indicates that he's not completely disappeared from the timeline).

I would be very pleased by a Cyberman finale if it's written by Moffat.

Also the problem with the TV Movie wasn't that it started with a regeneration scene, it was that it was utterly diabolical from start to finish.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff