The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Default 'Tis the Season! Let's watch... Christmas Specials!

As anyone who has had any conversation with me that's lasted longer then two seconds can accurately surmise, I likes me some Christmas Specials but, like Eggnog, they are limited to only the last few weeks of the year, or else they go bad. And, I figured "What about all those poor shmucks who are merely stuck watching Stop-Motion Rudolph save Super Racist Santa on TV every year?".

And so, because this is the season of giving, I have opted to watch some of the truly magnificent ones for you. You're welcome.

G.I. Joe Presents...
Cobra Claws are Coming to Town

In which Mutt learns the true meaning of Christmas.

Let me start off by saying that the title of this episode is a huge disappointment. I was expecting Cobra to start manufacturing thieving toys to steal things from everybody on Christmas Morning, or that the Commander has Santa imprisoned on Cobra Island and is using his Sack of Toys to build weapons or something. None of that happens. What DOES happen is sufficiently more crazy though, so I am okay with it.

We open with Shipwreck, Covergirl and Dusty returning to the Joe Base with a wagon full of toys from the GI Joe Toy Drive. Just as soon as Shipwreck finishes yelling at his parrot for singing Jingle Bells, the Joes come under fire by Wild Weasel, Cobras ace fighter-pilot with a code-name that would be silly even if he was not a pilot.

The Joes are plainly out matched, since Wild Weasel has a fully armed jet dedicated to ruining a toy drive and they have a jeep and a singing parrot, and wisely choose to run away. After a few minutes, despite Wild Weasel having them pinned inside a box canyon and... you know... totally defenseless otherwise, he just ups and leaves. The Joes are confused, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth and drive off back to Joe Base.

Turns out the whole Cobra assault was not as it appeared, however! Their goal was not to destroy the childrens toys, instead, Firefly snuck in from behind to add additional toys! Evil toys, with sinister eyes that intermittently glow green and beep.

Now, I should point out that Cobras plan here revolved entirely around the Joes choosing to flee into this one specific canyon when under attack and none of the Joes opting to turn around at any point to notice Firefly, a man wearing grey camouflage in a brown canyon rummaging in their trunk.

Back at the base, nobody mentions the weird Cobra attack, or pays any attention to the beeping, glowing toys, instead Duke decides to yammer out some exposition to Covergirl; all but, like, six Joes took Christmas off, and the base has an impenetrable shield so if Cobra attacked, they would be totally safe. It would kind of suck if Cobra attacked anybody else at all, mind, but Dukes okay, and that's all that matters. And so, secure with the knowledge that these six particular are safe as long as their defenses are in place, they head in for Christmas Dinner.

Now stay with me here folks, because this episode is about to get a little convoluted and a lot crazy.

At dinner, Mutt mentions he doesn't like Christmas and goes off to sulk on his own, with his dog trailing right behind him. Here, as he approaches the toys for Christmas delivery he reveals his tragic backstory; when he was a child, his parents decorated the house and wouldn't give him a chance to help.

And... that... that's it.

That's the core of Mutts pathos.

Fortunately, just before the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future show up to show Mutt that... that's a totally stupid reason to hold a grudge against a holiday, he notices the one thing that nobody else in the Joe Base realized; that rocking horses with evil glowing eyes that beep are atypical in many reasons. In this particular case, it is atypical because it's a Trojan Rocking Horse full of Microscopic Cobra soldiers who have all been shrunk by Destros new Shrink Ray.

HOLY CRAP THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Wee-Vipers, lead by Tiny Baroness and Travel-size Major Bludd disable the bases defenses and the rest of Cobra pours in through the doors, and, after being returned to normal size, pretty much immediately take over the Joe Base. Which isn't terribly shocking since it was 6 people eating a turkey dinner against several hundred masked terrorists, robots and tanks.

With the Joes soundly beaten, Cobra Commander shows up to reveal the true extent of his sinister plan; he is going to steal all the Joes vehicles and use them to attack a nearby city, complete with a video of Duke (actually Zartan in disguise) declaring war on Christmas everyone. Then, he has all the Joes strung up on hooks in the meat cooler and leave them there to freeze to death while he... err.. ruins their reputation. Posthumously.

Unluckily for CC, he didn't count on Shipwreck being so eager to leg-wrestle with a slab of beef;

And because he was stupid enough to leave the keys to the handcuffs in the room. With a little bow wrapped around them and a note that says "Happy Holidays".

Cobra Commander is, in several ways, not very good at what he does.

The Joes run off to try to stop Cobra but find out that they've all already left to attack the city, except Destro, who they overpower pretty easily despite the fact that they're all unarmed and he has a Shrink Ray. Destro is beaten up pretty severely and the shrink ray is demolished, but not before Shipwrecks parrot gets a Grow-Ray in the face which apparently doesn't affect him.

The Joes reason that, since Cobra stole all THEIR vehicles to attack a city, it's only fair that they steal all of Cobras vehicles to attack them. Which they do, and which works startlingly well; the Joes are considerably more skilled at using Cobras machinery then Cobra ever was and all except the Commander in Dukes Sky-Striker are swiftly defeated.

Secure with the knowledge that none of the Joes wouldn't shoot down the Striker while he had Duke hostage inside it, he prepares to strafe the Joes, all is lost. And then a Christmas Miracle happens.

Remember when Shipwrecks parrot was shot by the defective Grow Ray and it didn't do anything? Turns out it was doing a lot, and it just needed some time to get fired up; Polly has grown Kaiju-sized, burst through the Joe Base wall and forced the Sky-Striker to the ground after Cobra Commander sees the gigantic bird shrieking at him and he (understandably) freaks out.

And so, the day is saved. Except that everyone in America just witnessed Duke hijack every TV screen in order to declare war, and then saw GI Joes attack on a city thwarted by Cobra forces saving the day.

Oh but there's more good news; the sight of a fifty-foot parrot singing Jingle Bells and scaring the crap out of Cobra Commander was all it took to teach Mutt the true meaning of Christmas and chase away all of the terrible memories of his tragic past.

HO! HO! HO!

Last edited by Falselogic; 11-23-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Wonderful! We must have been very good tyrants this year to deserve such gifts.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Just bear with me

I'd like to see somebody take the piss out of all the new Christmas specials, especially that miserable "sequel" to Frosty the Snowman with John Goodman and Jonathan Winters. Fuck you, your lack of continuity, your Peanuts rip-off art style, and your "winter fertility goddesses," in that order.

Fun fact about that CBS special introduction: the music that plays during the animation comes from Call to Danger, one of the themes from the original Hawaii 5-0.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Wait, was that Frosty Returns or Legend of Frosty?

Because the latter wasn't that bad, ran a bit too long, but otherwise perfectly watchable. The former... is harder to endorse. I wouldn't say it's worse then Yogis First Christmas but... that's damning it faint praise.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Just bear with me

It was Frosty Returns. A cartoon so bad that they made a RiffTrax of it.

http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/frosty-returns
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
borgn

I wanna talk bad words about a special too
Old 12-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I have no idea how one could construe that as anything but genuine heartfelt love and delight, but fine, you want adoration then buddy, I got your adoration RIGHT HERE!

The Real Ghostbusters Presents...

X-Mas Marks the Spot

In which The war on Christmas is fought and won.

The Real Ghostbusters was one of those exceedingly rare cartoons based on a movie that often somehow managed to be at least as good as the film that spawned it. And since that movie was Ghostbusters, that's saying more then a little, that is.

We open on a snowy mountain pass as the Busters are on their way back from a house-call. The boys a little bummed out, partly because they didn't get paid for this assignment (Ray accidentally singed all the fur of the clients cat) and partly because they're working on Christmas Eve. All except Peter though, who merely scoffs and says that it's just another day. It turns out that Peter is down on the Holidays because, as a child, his father was never home to share them with him.

For those who aren't familiar with minor characters in 25-year-old cartoons, Peters father was a traveling con-man who was constantly run out of town for trying to sell holistic ghost repellant and such.

I love this show and everything about it.

As they try to make their way back to New York in a driving blizzard, the Ecto-1 breaks down and they're forced to proceed on foot to the nearest service station.

And this is where things get amazing.

As they wander through the Blizzard, the Ghostbusters manage to overlook a huge swirling wormhole right in the middle of the pass and wind up walking straight into what Egon (correctly) identifies as a a town in Victorian England. As they wander through the town looking for a phone to call a tow-truck, they pass a butcher selling a Christmas Turkey to Bob Cratchett, an employee of a greedy money lender named Ebeneezer Scrooge, and Tiny Tim, his invalid son.

You can probably guess where this is going, and it gets better.

As they continue to walk through the streets, Egons PKE Ghost-Detector starts going nuts, and they watch the ghost of Jacob Marley fly out of a window, and three unimaginably powerful spirits enter the building.

Seeing a chance for an easy job, the boys run into the mansion and see Scrooge being confronted by the Ghost of Christmas Past, Present and Future. The Ghostbusters do what they do best and capture the Ghosts, who don't even put up a token resistance, other then saying

"This Christmas, and all Christmas' to come will pay the price!"
to which Peter replies "Yeah, yeah, we've heard that before."

I love the idea that Ghosts often threaten to ruin Christmas when being captured. That just feels so immensely right.

Scrooge is elated that four young men in jump suits just ran into his bedroom and blasted ghosts with lasers, right up until Peter gives him the bill for the extermination job. Miserable old sinner of a Miser or not, Scrooge raises a pretty solid point that charging people to save them from otherworldly terrors, and threatening to put them back if they don't pay up is a might bit of a dick move.

Nevertheless, and true to form, Scrooge does pay for the job and hands over a nickel. But it's in perfect condition and minted in the 1830s. They're kind of satisfied with that figuring that the coin was probably worth a lot.

After learning that Scrooge hasn't even heard of a telephone, let alone own one, they decide to walk back to their car and are surprised to find the blizzard gone and the Ecto-1 in perfect working order.

Egon muses that something about everything they just went through seems familiar, but can't put his finger on it.

Egon is the smart one, you see.

Meanwhile (?), back in the 1830s, Scrooge has flown his windows open and shakes a vengeful fist at the sky;

"So, you're not so powerful as I thought. Well, NOBODY interferes with Ebeneezer Scrooges sleep. From this day forth, it is WAR!"

You guys, Scrooge just literally declared War on Christmas after calling out Jesus.

My heart has grown three sizes larger having witnessed that.

Back in New York, Egon loads the Ghosts of Past, Present and Future into the Containment Unit while everyone else heads out to get a Christmas Tree, except, as they walk the city streets, they find something amiss; not only is everyone in the city surlier then usual, and automatically responding to every utterance of the word Christmas with "Bah! Humbug!", but Fifth Avenue is also entirely undecorated.

They realize whats happened when they pass a bookstore with a display of what has become the best selling novel of the past 150 years; A Christmas Humbug; written by Ebeneezer Scrooge; in which Scrooge reveals that her personally defeated the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future, and also declared and won the War on the Christmas.

Ray immediately puts two and two together;

"Oh no... We just Killed Christmas"

Oh man you guys... this episodes only half over and we've already had about three or four Best Things Ever.

Back at the Firehouse, they arrive just in time to learn that Egon has already locked Past Present and Future into the containment unit, and there's no way to get them out without also releasing every single ghost they've ever busted. Since that includes, among other things, the actual, literal, Cthulhu, they decide on a different, crazier plan;

Peter, Winston and Ray will go back through the time-portal to fill in for the missing ghosts to show Scrooge the error of his ways while Egon puts on a diving suit and uses Science! to temporarily turn into a ghost, enter the Containment unit with a life-line and haul the Trio to safety.

While Egon searches Ghost World for the three recent inmates, the machinery keeping him from un-ghosting himself starts to break down, and Slimer dedicates himself to extinguishing all the electrical fires while Janine helps navigate.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Busters have no problem heading back in time to Victorian England and begin their plan of Spectral Harassment on Scrooge; this leads to Peter putting on a tu-tu and being hoisted outside Scrooges window while saying "Boo"

While the rest of the Busters efforts at duplicating the Ghosts of Past, Present and Future are fairly lackluster compared to the real thing (such as making Scrooge wear a viewfinder and running him around on a swivel chair to relive his past), Egon successfully finds the real Ghosts and hauls them back to New York shortly before every single thing that has ever died chases him down and kills him.

Egon and the spirits return to 1830s England just before the time-portal closes and the ghosts take their rightful place as Scrooges moral compass. Scrooge seems annoyed at being forced to be harassed by the dead for the third time in one night, but whatever, he's a jerk.

Present also mentions that this whole rigamarole with the time paradoxes and such forth was all to teach Peter a lesson to appreciate Christmas, even IF his father is a known con-man.

Back in the Present, everything is back to as it should be, with carolers outside the Firehouse, caroling and nobody yelling "BAH HUMBUG" whenever the word "Christmas" is uttered.

As the Busters lean back and bask in the warm feeling of a job well done, Winston makes the comment that he thought that everything in a Christmas Carol was a work of fiction, not something that literally happened, and he wonders what else must really be true.

And then Santa Claus flys by the window, telling his reindeer to giddyup.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make the Best Christmas Special ever.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

So this episode is a bridge between the movies Scrooged and Ghostbusters, forming some sort of holy trinity of awesome.

Is the Ghostbusters cartoon really that good? I liked it a lot as a kid, but back than I liked nearly every cartoon.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
So this episode is a bridge between the movies Scrooged and Ghostbusters, forming some sort of holy trinity of awesome.

Is the Ghostbusters cartoon really that good? I liked it a lot as a kid, but back than I liked nearly every cartoon.
I was genuinely surprised to find that I liked it even more as an adult then a child.

Riiiight up until the studio shift, at least.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

The guys fought Cthulhu. That's really all you need to know.

Quote:
The Joes reason that, since Cobra stole all THEIR vehicles to attack a city, it's only fair that they steal all of Cobras vehicles to attack them.
And then Hasbro saw that, thought for a few seconds, and BAM! Tiger Force, Python Patrol, and Sky Patrol were born.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:36 PM
GASP

We watched the new Smurfs CGI Christmas special, in which the Smurfs choose to cheer up Grouchy, who is depressed during the holiday, by holding an intervention to explain to him exactly how his mental illness is souring their enjoyment of Christmas and he needs to cut that shit right out before he ruins everything.

He's shown a vision of the future where, because he wasn't happy enough, the entire village is eaten by Gargamel.

It's utterly hateful.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post

I haven't seen it in a while either, but remember it being more sophisticated than most cartoons from that period. The credit for that goes to J. Michael Stracyzinski, who wrote scripts for animation before finding major success with Babylon 5. Once he left The Real Ghostbusters, the producers decided to capitalize on the popularity of the green snotball sidekick, and the quality of the series plummeted.

Straz had a knack for taking familiar themes and giving them unexpected twists. Having the Ghostbusters catch the spirits from A Christmas Carol was a daring idea that flipped both franchises on their heads... and let's face it, any retelling of A Christmas Carol that can make the story seem fresh again is a welcome one.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
We watched the new Smurfs CGI Christmas special, in which the Smurfs choose to cheer up Grouchy, who is depressed during the holiday, by holding an intervention to explain to him exactly how his mental illness is souring their enjoyment of Christmas and he needs to cut that shit right out before he ruins everything.

He's shown a vision of the future where, because he wasn't happy enough, the entire village is eaten by Gargamel.

It's utterly hateful.
To be fair, so is Grouchy
Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
This is precisely my fear of being insufficiently jolly every December.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Just bear with me

Too bad there wasn't a little blue Marge Simpson encouraging Grouchy to feel any way he likes.

I remember one cartoon from Rankin-Bass about a skeptical young mouse who's vilified for questioning the existence of Santa Claus. Years later, the same studio delivered the opposite message, with a nerdy John Ritter slaying a dragon by denying its existence. My childhood was a little confusing.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wild Weasel, Cobra's ace fighter-pilot with a code-name that would be silly even if he was not a pilot.
Hmm... I'm not sure if you know the origin of the term, but here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
My heart has grown three sizes larger having witnessed that.
Octo died a few hours later from an enlarged heart. His last words were "It was worth it!" Per his final request he will be buried under a pile of obscure NES games.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:

It's utterly hateful.
Can I just be that guy for a second and say that hating Smurfs because it's insipid is fine, but attributing Grouchy Smurf's grouchiness to mental illness and taking offence is kind of like getting mad because Dick Dastardly doesn't just keep driving and sustaining his significant enough lead to pull over and build complicated mechanisms when he would just win if he didn't.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Hmm... I'm not sure if you know the origin of the term, but here it is.
Of course, the guy flies an air-to-ground aircraft...
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM
I. Love. It.

Please tell me you're going to do the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas special, Octo. It's all I want this year.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 AM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Can I just be that guy for a second and say that hating Smurfs because it's insipid is fine, but attributing Grouchy Smurf's grouchiness to mental illness and taking offence is kind of like getting mad because Dick Dastardly doesn't just keep driving and sustaining his significant enough lead to pull over and build complicated mechanisms when he would just win if he didn't.
No... just no. This is not Classic 80's Grouchy Smurf. He wasn't stomping around aggressively declaring his hatred for turkey dinners and friendship or whatever. The opening narration explained that he used to love the holiday but stopped one day. He just quietly locked himself in his house, isolating himself. He said to one of the intervention smurfs that he didn't think anyone wanted him around. There was a bit with him being upset because he never got the present he really wanted, but everything else? Textbook depression.

And seriously, "Don't be sad because you're harshing my holiday cheer" is never an acceptable thing to say to someone for any reason.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM
New Video World is out!

I guess he was feeling blue
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Can I just be that guy for a second and say that hating Smurfs because it's insipid is fine, but attributing Grouchy Smurf's grouchiness to mental illness and taking offence is kind of like getting mad because Oscar just doesn't check in at a homeless men's shelter
Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I remember one cartoon from Rankin-Bass about a skeptical young mouse who's vilified for questioning the existence of Santa Claus.
I think I remember that one too! Was it the one where Santa Claus throws a giant hissy fit and cancels Christmas forever, for everyone, because that one mouse wrote him a letter saying that he didn't believe in him?

Because the message I took away, even as a kid, was that Santa was being the lesser person there.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I have put forth the theory that in the Rankin Bass continuity, there are two Santas; one good, one evil. The evil one eventually changing his name to Winterbolt (as seen in Rudolphs Christmas in July) after being deposed by his good doppleganger and becoming obsessed with returning to his throne as the One True Monarch of Christmas.

There is a surprising amount of evidence to support this.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
I think I remember that one too! Was it the one where Santa Claus throws a giant hissy fit and cancels Christmas forever, for everyone, because that one mouse wrote him a letter saying that he didn't believe in him?

Because the message I took away, even as a kid, was that Santa was being the lesser person there.
When you get that upset over a diss by one of nature's most insignificant creatures, you've got serious self-esteem issues.

Anyway, I looked it up, and the special was Twas the Night Before Christmas, (very) loosely based on the poem of the same name. Apparently Rankin-Bass noticed the poem mentioned something about a mouse and ran with it.

Did Rankin-Bass ever do a Christmas special of one of their 1980s cartoons, like Thundercats or Silverhawks? I know, their fantasy settings would make doing a Christmas special difficult, but it didn't stop He-Man or She-Ra!

(The worst part of any Rankin-Bass special: that creepy-ass logo at the end. Thank goodness they redesigned it when Thundercats debuted!)
Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 AM
100% All Original

The only Rankin-Bass specials worth watching are Rudolf, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, and maybe Frosty (and maybe Nestor? Not sure if I've heard that's good). Also, youtube the Heat Miser/Snow Miser songs, but the rest of Year Without a Santa Claus isn't worth it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Besides being very tedious to watch, Year Without Santa Claus ends with achristmas being saved when every child in the world writes to Santa to beg forgiveness for a perceived slight after he gets a head cold. The Heat/Snow Miser songs are the only redeeming aspect of it.

...Miser Brothers Christmas is perfectly good though. I liked that one.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Programmed to Jingle

I don't think you're merry enough. I'll TEACH you to be Merry. I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers presents

I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger

We open at Ernies Juice Bar and Gym, with a great many precocious children alternatively singing Christmas carols and Hanukkah songs, even School Bullies-turned-Civic Defenders, Bulk and Skull have shown up to play Santa for the wee chill'rens and it's all as merry as HELL, except for the one sad little girl who has nothing to be happy about because her father is working on Christmas and nothing, not even topping the official Juice-Bar Christmas Tree can snap her out of her funk. It's as tragic as the dickens, and a tragedy that Pink Ranger Kimberly can relate to, since her parents are also out of the country in Paris or some such.

But having the WORST TIME of all on this Christmas Eve is Lord Zedd, within his evil Moon Base. But unlike SAD CHILD and the Pink Ranger, Lord Zedd is planning on DOING something about his holiday blues; specifically, he is going to STEAL CHRISTMAS!

"This year, I am going to take over Santas workshop and force those good-for-nothing elves to make some REAL toys" he snarls, producing an evil hypnotic Dreidel.

Less then five minutes in and we have a Best Line of Dialogue.

Zedd sendsRitas Evil Skeleton Brother, Rito to the North Pole to begin Ruining Christmas.

"Next year, Santa, you won't have to check your list even once, because all the worlds children will be naughty!" Zedd laughs, dramatically.

At the North Pole, some of the Elves are worried that they're a little behind schedule when there is a tap-tap-tapping on the door and in walks an evil Skeleton with a Laser Sword whose introductions are interupted by Santa;

"I know who YOU are, Rito Revolto, you've been a very Naughty boy this year!"

The Elves and Santa are initially reluctant to build evil mind-control toys to distribute to children all over the world, but it turns out that when you're an evil skeleton with a laser sword, it's really easy to coerce people.

Zordon catches wind of a threat to Santas livliehood and summons the Power Rangers to the Command Center, which gives them a chance to ditch SAD LITTLE GIRL who is still whining about her dad working on Christmas. The Rangers teleport to the Command Center and Zodorn gives them the skinny in the most expediant way possible;

"Rito has taken over the North Pole, he's captured Santa and is forcing the elves to Mass-Produce Lord Zedds Evil Christmas Toys"

Oh... my God... that is the best line of dialogue ever written. Or it would have been if it wasn't followed up by this;

"Because of a combination of the North Poles unique polarity and a cross-current of Holiday Magic, you're Morphing Powers will not work."

Tommy is unwavering in his conviction to Save Christmas;

"That's a chance we'll have to take. Santa is way too important. We have to save him!"

The Rangers are then teleported to the North Pole where it's... presumably less cold then you might expect, since nobody really takes the time to put on a coat or anything, and see the terrible state of Santas Workshop;

Ritos minions are all forcing the elves to build the Evil Toys while Santa is tied up in boughs of holly and being smacked with a Nerf Bat every time the Elves slow down production.

Upon seeing that the Rangers are involved now, Zedd sends down Goldar to help Ritos Evil Christmas Plan. Because Goldar is not a known dangerous adversary who has been pretty soundly beaten an average of once every episode up to this point, so he would certainly be an asset in a battle with a comic-relief villain.

The Rangers formulate a plan that if Christmas Magic is interfering with their powers, that, logically, it stop Rito from being able to do anything either; their plan works when, after goading Rito outside of Santas Workshop, he utterly fails to shoot any lasers at them.

The Rangers defeat Rito and Goldar by chucking a lot of snowballs at them while the Evles, free of their skeleton overseer take back the Toyshop with Home Alone style traps and tricks, freeing Santa, and destroying all of the Evil Toys. Elliciting a heartfelt "Bah! Humbug!" from Lord Zedd.

It's... not really the most noble defeat they've ever had.

Back at the North Pole, the Rangers help to repair all the damage that Zedds minions, and refill Santas Sleigh with Good Toys;

"I never would have Saved Christmas without the help of the Power Rangers" Santa says, handing over a special sack full of toys for the Sad Children at Ernies Juice Bar.

Santa also makes a special delivery to the moon where he gives Zedd back all the Evil Toys, Rito and Goldar exchange gifts for their Secret Santa exchange, and Zedd grumbles that "Christmas gives me the willies"

Back at the Juice Bar, Sad Little Girls father showed up after all for some reason. Maybe he got fired or Santa Magic or something? I don't know. He asked her to buy him some Hot chocolate, so probably the former. Also, Kimberlys parents showed up despite being in Paris so... that's even more confusing?

Then Sad Little Girl (did she ever get named?) and the other Non-Specifically Sad Children all gather round to sing Silent Night.

And THATS how you save Christmas without a Megazord.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Safe Space

So did they chop a Gosei Sentai Dairanger episode to bits to make that episode? Or was it North-America-only?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Assuming they had access to Ritos costume, Just regular ol' American style.

Tags
christmas special , ho ho ho , merry crimnus , murray crimmus , octo-good