The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-15-2009, 01:45 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Default The Doctor Who Thread of Chronological Meddling

I thought Doctor Who probably deserved a general thread by now. The old thread had a slightly obscure name, so this one's more obvious.

Anyhoo, Waters of Mars is really good - I think it's my favourite Russell Davies episode in fact. It actually managed to surprise me on two separate occasions. I won't say now for fear of spoiling it, but it deserves a watch. It also shows the Christmas episode which looks very promising. Sven, you were right of course.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Chances are that I'm not going to get a chance to see Water of Mars until the Season 5 DVD set comes out in February.

A DVD set which, incidentally, doesn't seem to be wallet-shattering this time! Hooray!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:01 PM
You wanna contract, Boss?

That was on Today? Arse, completely missed it (the BBC obviously didn't trail it during any of the shows I actually watch).

Oh, well, guess I'll watch the repeat on Wednesday.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Semi-Lurker

I really wish BBC America would actually air these things closer to the UK airdate. I know I'll get the specials box set when it finally comes out, and hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. Speaking of which, the singles for Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead were released out of order in the USA, was this done in the UK as well?

Also is there any significance to today in the UK? It seemed sort of odd that a series which traditionally aired on Saturday had its special aired on a Sunday instead.

So far though the specials have been really uneven for me. I loved half of the Next Doctor, but I was extremely disappointed with Planet of the Dead's characters and plot (or lack thereof.)
Old 11-15-2009, 02:34 PM
You wanna contract, Boss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_AnimeBum View Post
Also is there any significance to today in the UK? It seemed sort of odd that a series which traditionally aired on Saturday had its special aired on a Sunday instead.
I can't think of anythnig significant going on over here today, beyond the fact that the new season of Top Gear started today as well.

I'd imagine the real reason it's airing on a Sunday is that Strictly Come Dancing (the UK version of Dancing with the Stars) airs in the 1900 time slot that they'd probably want to air the show in, and it'd be too disruptive to that shows format to not air it for a week.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
I Cuss You Bad

DiGiKerot, there's always iPlayer (assuming you're a Britisher).

Octo, I guess the reason Season 5's so cheap is because I'm guessing it's just the specials (so about three episodes).

Josh, I've also found the specials a bit uneven but I really liked this one. Again, Strictly Come Dancing is probably the reason for the odd day.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Semi-Lurker

Thanks to magical internet fairies, I just finished watching this. I agree with Phantoon that this one is definitely one of if not the best RTD episode so far. In fact if RTD's episodes were this good throughout the his run on the series, I wouldn't be in a rush to see him go. Hopefully, the last two will keep up this quality and provide a nice conclusion to Tennant's Doctor.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Octo, I guess the reason Season 5's so cheap is because I'm guessing it's just the specials (so about three episodes).
Well, each special is longer then the average episode, and (as I understand it) the finale is supposed to be two-specials, so the total runtime isn't that much lower then then the average season.

Going from $100 to $60 is still pretty damn enjoyable.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Hawkguy

I started the first season on Thursday! Man, that first episode's cheesy.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
concern troll

FYI, Netflix now has a "show" called "Classic Doctor Who," so instead of searching all over for the different older serials they have them collected as "seasons" under one banner, in what looks like chronological order.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
FYI, Netflix now has a "show" called "Classic Doctor Who," so instead of searching all over for the different older serials they have them collected as "seasons" under one banner, in what looks like chronological order.
Wow. Wish they'd done that before I watched it all. Time to go back and see if anything got released since I first looked though!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
It's all good, man

Man, I was hoping they had at least one series for each doctor, but there's nothing starring Colin Baker.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM
i musnt run away

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Hooray!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:01 PM

Hmm... new Christmas special starting now?

Is... is that an evil snowglobe from space?

It really IS Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM
#deadfish2017

Was that a deliberate Game of Thrones reference or is Moffat just dumb?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Fun Club Agent

What, none of you are watching the day-long K-9 marathon on SyFy? That's way more exciting.

I can't watch the Christmas special until tomorrow. :-(
Old 12-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Was that a deliberate Game of Thrones reference or is Moffat just dumb?
Yes?

Also yon previews counter-indicate it, but man, how great would it be to have a "companion" that's actually just a bunch of unrelated random people played by the same actress who all end up dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
What, none of you are watching the day-long K-9 marathon on SyFy? That's way more exciting.

I can't watch the Christmas special until tomorrow. :-(
If you'd mentioned it sooner I might have, honestly.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Grr. Argh.

Did...did Clara call the TARDIS a cow?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 PM
whatever it takes

So in The Rings of Akhaten, the Doctor mentions that he'd been there before with his granddaughter, Susan. She traveled with him when he was in his first incarnation. One.

Last week saw the return of an Ice Warrior, an alien originally from the Second Doctor's era. Two.

This week, a blue crystal from Metebelis III factors heavily into the story, just as it did in the Third Doctor stories The Green Death and Planet of the Spiders. Three.

I know what I'll be watching out for next week.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 PM
This way up

Jelly babies?

Half the fanboys across the Internet have already decried Matt Smith's enunciation of "Metebelis Three", so I needn't do that. And there was enough else wrong with it anyway; to me it watched like a particularly dire example of a "Sapphire and Steel" proposal that Big Finish turned down. Between that and the references to "The Stone Tape", and the various pop culture gags, and the horribly cliched intelligence man-turned-even-more-cliched-ghost-hunter, about the only original part was Clara's infighting with the TARDIS.

Which I did not enjoy. Not in the least. It's beneath the Ship's dignity.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM
whatever it takes

I'm fine with a companion having a bit of an antagonistic relationship with the TARDIS, as that could be kind of fun. I'm less thrilled with how often the TARDIS has been speaking back; this silly virtual hologram popped up back in Let's Kill Hitler and it was dumb there too. The whole point of The Doctor's Wife was that it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to actually get to have a conversation with this enigmatic, monolithic ship that has been the one constant in the Doctor's life. The entire impact of that is lost when she can just manifest a hologram to dispense technobabble and/or sass any old time she feels like it. It's cheap, lazy writing (and used here only to reiterate something the Doctor had already said to Clara earlier, so what was the point?), and I think it's damaging to a crucial element of the series.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
Jelly babies?
If rights haven't reverted from the K-9 spin-off, I'd imagine so. Or some scarf reference... probably too much to hope for a cavegirl with a laser rifle.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it, but I really am enjoying this current edition of the intro. I didn't like the literal cloud tunnel and intro-to-newbies... incidentally, was that just for the U.S. airings or did British types also have it?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM
This way up

The title sequences are the same in America as they are in Britain; however, the comedy Amy Pond opening is a BBC American-only thing.

Glad to clear that up for you! I do admit, I enjoy having the lead's mug in the title sequence again. It's fun, in a loveably tacky kinda way.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM
beech i ho ho ho'd you

Maybe I've been a fan for too long, but I'm happy with the series thus far.

I especially liked the tiny twist that the "monster" was also lost and looking for his True Love.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Grr. Argh.

So the Cybermen are the Borg now. Lovely.

This was a very weird episode, but it was also IMHO the first good episode this half-series.

Next week the zombie meta-plot rears its misshapen head again...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilMoth View Post
So the Cybermen are the Borg now. Lovely.
That never wasn't true. Except in the specific sense you're referring to here, which was lame then and lame now, but at least here it fits a lot better.

Generally though yeah, that was a pretty good episode. I particularly appreciate the lack of any attempt to do go all "Mr. Worf, fire" with it, and the unceremonious slapping at metal bits with gold foil totally working.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Grr. Argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
That never wasn't true. Except in the specific sense you're referring to here
Yeah, I know the Cybermen and the Borg have always been somewhat similar. But now the Cybermen are more like the Borg than the Borg were EVER like the Cybermen.

Also, am I the only toku nut who, when the Cybermen started moving at ludicrous speed, shouted CLOCK UP?
Old 05-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Grr. Argh.

Watching "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" again, and...

Not only is it a spectacularly BAD episode, it's also one of the most offensive (and offensively STUPID) episodes of the entire series. Nevermind that we've got the Doctor selling off bits of the TARDIS in exchange for help finding Clara, which would never happen, and nevermind that we've got zombies in the TARDIS which is just ridiculous, but you've got a crew entirely made up of black men stealing the Doctor's hubcaps. Um...just...wow. Given the worldwide popularity of Doctor Who, did Moffat SERIOUSLY think this was okay?!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Banned

While I understand spoiler text for information about episodes that have yet to happen, can we stop it for something that already aired? If you cared, you'd know there's a new Doctor Who out and tried to watch it, or at least not visited an appreciation thread on the internet before you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilMoth View Post
Nevermind that we've got the Doctor selling off bits of the TARDIS in exchange for help finding Clara, which would never happen
...And then held the buyers hostage and threatened them with death!

This is the same Doctor who saw two people enter his TARDIS with his granddaughter and decided that they knew too much and took them flying through time and space against their will and would be all too happy to abandon them to their deaths if things got too hairy.

It wasn't typical post-reboot Doctor, but that scheme was very much something Hartnell's Doctor would do.

Anyway, regarding the whole discussion about John Hurt and the title of The Doctor, I was reminded of this a few seasons back:

Quote:
Liz Ten: What are you doing?
The Doctor: The worst thing I ever do. I'm going to pass a massive electrical charge through the Star Whale's brain. It should knock over his high functions. Leave it a vegetable. The ship will still fly but the whale won't feed it.
Amy: That will be like killing it.
The Doctor: Three options. One, I let the Star Whale continue in unendurable agony for hundreds more years. Two, I kill everyone on this ship. Three, I murder a beautiful, innocent creature as painlessly as I can. And then I find a new name 'cause I won't be The Doctor anymore.
Amy: There must be something we can do. Some other way.
The Doctor: Nobody talk to me. Nobody human has anything to say to me today!
I don't think Hurt is the Time War Doctor. I think he had to straight up murder someone, and they've sort of established that the Doctor would see a cold-blooded murder as worse than locking two races away in a pocket universe to destroy each other.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Grr. Argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyael View Post
While I understand spoiler text for information about episodes that have yet to happen, can we stop it for something that already aired? If you cared, you'd know there's a new Doctor Who out and tried to watch it, or at least not visited an appreciation thread on the internet before you do.
No, it's courtesy to use spoiler text for episodes that some people might not have had access to.

Reasons being:
1. Not everyone has access to television networks airing first-run episodes of Doctor Who.
2. Not everyone without access to television networks airing first-run episodes of Doctor Who has bought the boxset yet.
3. Some people WITH access to television networks airing first-run episodes of Doctor Who may have missed certain episodes this series.
4. Netflix doesn't have this series of Doctor Who on for streaming yet.

It's common courtesy to spoilertag these things for at least a couple months.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff