The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 04-09-2018, 05:13 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Default A Weekly Questionnaire

You will not be graded. This will not lead to anything. Just some random questions. Answer any you feel like answering.

1) What advertisement scared you in your childhood?

2) What is one of your earliest memories of using the Internet?

3) What person or real world event needs a movie based on him/her/them/it?

4) What's your favourite Planet of the Apes movie that isn't the first one?

5) What's up with the moon?

6) What SHOULD be free, but isn't?

Answer as honestly or as whimsically as you want.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 04-16-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

AStar: The Robot from Planet Danger, full stop.

My elementary school getting Internet ready desktop computers for students, and being told that the reason they were so slow being because "everyone over in Asia just woke up and the internet can't handle that many people at once".

The events circling the liscensing rights to Oswalt the Lucky Rabbit.

Either Rise or Beneath. Depending on my mood. Still haven't seen War.

I know right? What a friggin' asshole

People framed for murder.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I know right? What a friggin' asshole
[/B]
Thank you! Finally, someone is with me on this. First of all, Moon, leave the tides alone. I hate going down to the beach only to find out there's very little beach to walk on. If the water stayed where it was, then I'd know what the deal is, instead of having to guess all the time.

Also, stop makin' werewolves.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:47 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
You will not be graded. This will not lead to anything. Just some random questions. Answer any you feel like answering.

Answer as honestly or as whimsically as you want.
1. Maybe some old Pokemon card ad (or some other similar ccg kind of thing) but it had a dude who had his face photoshopped onto an egg costume or something to look like Humpty Dumpty. It was pretty grotesque in that clutch cargo sort of way.

2. NASA website! It had photos! Of space!

3. Harriet Tubman? Shuttling slaves to freedom is quite the legacy. That's less 'badass of the week' and more badass of the entire damn century.

4. Whatever one it was that TMBG did the song about

5. What isn't up with the moon? *points at the moon* Look at it. That's the whole moon. And it's way up there. The whole thing is up!

6. #PropertyIsTheft #NoEthicalConsumptionUnderCapitalism #CapitalistsCanConsumeMyWholeAss #TheDialecticIsInMotion
Old 04-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I couldn't watch the Yoshi's Island commercial.

My family gathering around Juno to send an email to my cousin in the Philippines. I realized later that I had experienced what people must have felt the first time they owned a TV.

Tchaikovsky's failed marriage.

I never knew until recently that East Asia's version of the man in the moon is the bunny in the moon, which is why Sailor Moon is named Usagi, and why Super Mario Odyssey has those bunnies.

Mickey Mouse.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Oh god yes, the Yoshi's Island ad was also deeply uncomfy.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Senhor Member

Love to share memories. I wouldnít dare answer these with irony or lies.
Quote:
I canít remember a one. Hereís an answer to a question you didnít ask: I do remember a Scary bit of media. I watched An American Werewolf in London and there was some jump scare... in the woods? was there a deer? and it scared the shit out of me. My parents wouldnít let me watch horror movies for a while even though I (wrongly!) wanted to. (another early jumpscare, but for kids: fizzgig poppin up in Dark Crystal - I know that got you, too, Johnny)

Iíve since read that early exposure to jump scares can negatively affect future adults enjoyment of horror movies. And indeed, Iíve watched many horror movies in life despite frequently hating the experience. I am no longer that susceptible to jump scares, but this is a relatively recent development. I was still covering my ears well into my adult life. (noise spooked me more than sound)
Quote:
Lookin up DBZ characters. Joining a DBZ role-playing group and flaking out when people made fun of me for offering to spar with Goku even though I was... the clown child thing?

This was at home. I went to Saturday school shit on colleges, probably earlier than that. I remember: visiting a Final Fantasy fansite. Investigating Pokemon. Looking at clips of Pokemovies in the original Japanese. (whoa!) IRL: my teacher, some kind of college rando, offered to give us pirated copies of Star Wars: Episode 1. (he never did!!!!!!!) Iíve never hated that movie; I thought it was ďfineĒ as a child. The first movie I remember seeing in theaters and thinking, ďwhoa, that suckedĒ was Feardotcom.

I remember anticipating Jurassic Park and seeing ads of the t-rex busting through the glass on the two kids. (was not scared to my knowledge, more amazed) I think I saw it on theaters, but donít remember going. I remember being awed that my neighbors had it when it came out on VHS, but Iíd already seen it. The first time I remember going to the theaters was to see The Flintstones Movie with my cousins. The theater had rad LED nights and is in what is now a haunting ghost mall. Was a big Rosie fan as a kid. Like Griffin Newmann, of the gr8 Blank Check Podcast, I saw Harriet the Spy exclusively for Rosie, which in retrospect I find hilarious. But on second thought, her brand was kind of Kids, right? Was anyone else super-pumped for Harriet the Spy because of Rosie?

Hmm... Iíve produced several memories; tangentially related to this question at best.
Quote:
Humans can impose compelling narratives on anything (I find myself most disturbed by this when it comes to nature documentaries for some reason) and no more content needs to be made; we have enough. There will continue to be more than enough. Iíll tell you what we didnít need: a six-part mini-series on the Rajneeshis; each episode painfully more than an hour long. I was almost ready to bail on Wild Wild Country after episode one, but for a brief moment Ma Anand Sheela displayed masterful JRPG supervillain rhetoric. I shouldíve bailed! Really, this story might work better as a movie. Which I wonít have to see, because Iíve already watched the too long Netflix series.
Quote:
2001 remake. (sorry!) I had a crush on the cute boy and slid into his e-mail, which he invited fans to at the time. He responded! As it turns out, I think heís gay, but we are not in a relationship and have never met. Also, wanted to fuck Mark Walhlberg. I donít remember other Planet of the Apes movies aside from the recent ones, but I know I was vaguely into them. In fact, I remember a batch of kittens being born to our new stray cat in 1998 on Labor Day weekend during an Apes marathon. If I couldnít date this, I think my brain would link this marathon and Apes-mania to cute boy and hot man in the 2001 remake.
Quote:
No opinion.
Quote:
I am an American, an obvious and correct answer is medical care. Were I Canadian, I would say: dental.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Senhor Member

Answer your own questions Johnny
Old 04-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Alright!

If your thinking "Wait, what?" The answer is ANY Tums commercial, because it ended with the Dragnet theme (for years, I would think of it as the Tums music) and for some reason it terrified me. Fun fact, the music uses the Devil's tritone? I only kind of know what that means, but scary, right?

My dad was a university professor, so he had the internet before we had it in our home. Mostly, it was looking up soundbites from the Simpsons and, I think, Pinky and the Brain. I'd spend Saturday mornings in his office just surfing the web, then go home to watch cartoons. This isn't a specific occasion, just a general routine I fell into.

As a fan of comics, I find the history of EC Comics fascinating. I don't know how well it works in a narrative form, but the story of a guy who has no interest in comics taking over his Dad's magazine company that publishes Christian comics, then turning it into the leading company by publishing top notch horror and crime comics before being done in by McCarthyism. That feels like a good story to me. Even though I basically just told it in a sentence.

Escape from the Planet of the Apes. That's the one that takes place in now times because two of the apes from the first movie travel back in time. It's kind of loopy and I love that it is the story about time travelling apes turning into celebrities before the world turns on them. I might have said one of the newer ones had I seen them, but here we are.

I believe I've made my feelings on the matter clear.

Man, I feel everyone has the best answers already. I'll say medical care for all. Boring answer, but people need it, man.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Better be the real thing.

1) I'm drawing a blank, sorry.

2) Trying AOL on my cousin's computer and checking out an early, early Power Rangers forum. Afterwards, my parents and I would go to the university library, and I'd spend the whole time looking up Final Fantasy, Warren Zevon, and Power Pack webpages.

3) Louis Tikas--a Greek immigrant, Orthodox Christian, and labor organizer, who was killed by the Colorado National Guard during the Ludlow Massacre on the day after Pascha. You can read more about him here (warning: PDF).

4) The only other one I've seen is Dawn, and that was pretty good, so... that one.

5) It's where Elvis has been hiding all this time.

6) Scientific papers.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:21 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Quote:
Can't really think of any! Which is weird because I was a huge scaredy-cat kid.
Quote:
Limewire (hell yeah it took me three days to get all of Gimme Fiction) and the VG Cats forums (shudder). Also being on the receiving end of a bunch of transphobic bullying from Brandon Stroud, that dude who writes about wrestling for Uproxx.
Quote:
Julie d'Aubigny aka "Mademoiselle Maupin" aka "La Maupin." Bisexual crossdressing opera singer and master swordswoman. Dueled three men at once after kissing a woman at a party and beat all of them. One time when she was a teenager her girlfriend's parents sent their daughter to a convent to cure the ol' gay; so she signed up at the same convent and broke her out by putting a dead nun in her bed and lighting fire to the place to cover their escape. Met the son of the Duke of Luynes, stabbed him through the shoulder in a duel, and then started dating him all within 48 hours.
Quote:
My copy of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was missing the subtitle track for all the ASL in the movie, so I ended up thinking it was an incredibly bold directing choice until I checked later. It was still great.
Quote:
she's gay and dating the ocean
Quote:
Dental and Vision. Also universal income. Also Tibet?
Old 04-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

2) Earliest internet memories.

Hmm, dial-in BBS's aren't the internet. Prodigy (an early AOL-like) isn't *quite* the internet. So probably when a guy at my mom's lab at the university got me a shell account there I could telnet into when I was in high school. I could use gopher and later ftp to grab low-resolution anime pics from the Venice archive. Maybe even a postage-stamp sized incredibly-dithered 30-second video.

5) Might be secretly a spaceship

6) Navels beat me to the obvious health care answer.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Senhor Member

I remember getting AOL discs in the mail with THOUSANDS (?) of free internet minutes, which my parents refused to make use of. Maybe Iím misremembering what the AOL discs were promising, for sure I had no idea how the internet worked, and it is no great crime that I was slightly delayed in getting Online.

Iím trying to thinking of something I want for a movie. I just canít atm. I know there will always be more good stuff. Nicole Cliffe writes a great tweetstorm about her fascinating grandmother every once in a while. Really, though, I think itís perfectly nice as just a tweetstorm.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Teg... How long have you known about the coolest human being and not told me?

Because I feel like only learning about La Maupin now is something that could have been prevented.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Find Your Reason

1985... IIRC? I was still in preschool, and one night, while I was watching TV while my mom was doing the laundry in the building's laundry room, they ran a spot for Clash of the Titans. While it later became one of my favorite movies at the time, and led to my becoming a fan of mythology for as long as I can remember, THAT particular ad featured nothing but Thetis' severed head ranting about the injustices done to her and how she would have her revenge, all while sloooooowly rotating to face the viewer.

I screamed and ran and met my mother halfway to the laundry room, all while seeing that decapitated head floating and ranting at me IN EVERY HALLWAY.

I guess I should be glad the ad didn't feature Medusa?

*crumbles to dust at realization of own mortality*

I mean, I was already in tenth grade, so it's not like a memory lost to the mists of time or anything. But it was definitely using my school's UNIX workstations, which only the college engineers ever used, to look up Ranma stuff on Thomas Cadwell's Ranma 1/2 Home Page

(My alma mater has both high school grades and a university in the same campus, so grades 10-12 shared facilities with the college majors.)

Person? Carl Sagan. Event? Iran-Contra or Noriega.

EDIT: NO WAIT I VOTE FOR TEG'S

Rise...? Dawn...? Titles are confusing. Whichever one was the one with this:

(I swear I didn't even see Sprite's reply until after I had looked up my own version of that gif )

I know, right? Pull up your pants, already! We've all seen your pale white glow!

Other than obvious social services, like health, transportation, education, and telecomms?

Gachas.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I mean, I was already in tenth grade, so it's not like a memory lost to the mists of time or anything. But it was definitely using my school's UNIX workstations, which only the college engineers ever used, to look up Ranma stuff on Thomas Cadwell's Ranma 1/2 Home Page
I def remember that one. My Akari fan page was in one of the early Ranma web rings in the mid 90s. (Did we already have this discussion? Probably.)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Senhor Member

Nostalgic twinge remembering a survival horror web ring. I remember the web ring master...? of the webring band site? including a site for a game that was not a survival horror game, but also, from another perspective, was a survival horror game.

(I do not like survival horror games; I should never again try to play one. I like the Resident Evil movies and Silent Hill fanvids; thatís it)

Iím trying to figure out what game that was. My first thought was... Perfect Blue? was that a game? Or is that a film about surfing? I google. Perhaps not a game, but it was a psychological thriller anime. The search continues.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Senhor Member

Well Iíve solved the mystery of a Kylie avatar. This has been a day of learning. (I am sure this was not a mystery to many other people on this nerd board)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Quote:

My cousin's family got internet at their house. We went over to visit briefly and they were showing me The Internet and asked if I had any website I wanted to visit. I didn't know any URLs, but I remembered that Archie Comics had been promoting their new website on each issue, so I ran out to the car and grabbed the double digest I had been reading, and came back in to enter in
Code:
www.archiecomics.com
Quote:
Definitely not the one with Franco

Quote:
Right? On those full moon nights I wish I were some kind of pagan to worship it.

Quote:
This is an interesting question. Do I take it in the spirit of "under capitalism, what should not have a charge", or "under capitalism, what should be covered by the state?", or maybe "what would I like to see socialized the most". There are things that seem like there are solutions for how everyone can be satisfied, but none of them would fly under a capitalist economy, and they would require "payment" in other ways, in social currency somehow. If the land is free, it should be stewarded. If education is free, should it be to the betterment of society? or maybe all education is inherently useful. something necessary for life like clean water should be free, but when it becomes a scarcity, do we ration the "free" water according to demonstrated need?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I def remember that one. My Akari fan page was in one of the early Ranma web rings in the mid 90s. (Did we already have this discussion? Probably.)
My first browser was Mosaic. I only dodged the archie/gopher phase just barely.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Well Iíve solved the mystery of a Kylie avatar. This has been a day of learning. (I am sure this was not a mystery to many other people on this nerd board)
yo you should watch paprika
Old 04-10-2018, 02:19 AM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

can I change my early internet memories response to Powerpuff Girls D
Old 04-10-2018, 03:13 AM

Oh boy, there sure was a lot. But the most traumatic one was for The Diamond Center. Anyone who grew up in Northern California knows what I'm talkin' about.

Just listen to that chorus! It sounds like Paul is harmonizing with demons. Also look at his face, if you told me Paul was a child molester, I would 100% believe you.

I used to have reoccurring nightmares about going by the Diamond Center in the local mall, and having Paul reach out from the shadows, pull me under into a pitch black room, where demon-hands would tear at my flesh until I woke up screaming. It seems quaint now, but holy crap that shit was terrifying and triggering as a child.

Using our 28k modem to call up my friend's PC to play Warcraft II against each other.

One of the oldest written accounts from a Western source about Okinawan history is this crazy preacher who moved to the main island by himself with his family to try and convert the locals. The locals thought he was insane, but fed him and gave him a place to live on the outskirts of town. He'd try to preach at them and people would mostly just ignore him. Once in a while, the locals had to hide him for his own safety, because foreigners weren't allowed on the islands, and the Japanese administrators from Satsuma, during their patrols, would have probably killed the guy if they found him. Eventually after like decades, he just kinda gave up and went home. I believe it wasn't long after Commodore Perry stopped by the islands? It's a weird little corner of history that I found fascinating for whatever reason.

I'm in Johnny's camp. "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" is my jam.

It's the single best song in any Gundam thing.

Medical care, love, education, the press, bread, intellectual property, civil rights, anime
Old 04-10-2018, 04:56 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

I decided to answer this questionnaire just for this question alone. To wit:

It's an old catalan traffic safety PSA saying that "mixing alcohol and gas kills" - very effective, very shocking without resorting to crude imagery. And it traumatized 6-7 y.o. me because of its somber tone and because it showed a freaking burial niche, which were inherently scary to me back then (along with anything funereal). And they would put it in commercial breaks between funny shows I liked, in prime time, the bastards! I remember running away to my bedroom at the first sight of it, telling my mom to call me when it was done.
I even felt slightly uneasy when clicking on it to watch it today.

Related: at about the same time I was also scared of Twin Peaks, probably because of the somber theme and I must have seen the image of Laura Palmer's body. I remember my mom watching a chapter while I had dinner in my bedroom, reading comics. XD

I... don't have any specific memory of the earliest beginning times, mostly later ones when browsing video game and ROM webrings, when I discovered FFVI, Metal Gear 2, Chrono Trigger and the likes.

But there's this one of one day my stepmother connecting to the internet, opening IE and a porn site showing up on it - apparently my dad (not then-teenaged me, I swear :P ) had been browsing a few, "out of curiosity", and back then they did that thing where they set themselves as your starting page without you knowing it. Whoops!

Me I'm drawing a blank right now....
Oh wait, I recently learned on twitter about Natalie Clifford Bailey whose amazing (& amazingly advanced for her times) relationship history would make for an intense and very progressive romantic drama? comedy? dramedy? not sure... XD

Them monkeys have never been appealing to me and I've only seen the 2001 "remake", which is on the rather opposite side of "favorite", even in a category where it is the lone contender.

I think moon is pretty cool, ti shielded earth from asteroids allowing the appearance of life on it, and doesn't afraid of anything.
Also it has inspired amazing works in mankind, both of artistic and scientific nature, so 'tis fine by me.

Team pro-Moon.

Many things, but I'm not coming up with anything clever enough, so it's a pass.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:03 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

MR BUCKET

SONIC FAN GAMES HQ

FRAY TORMENTA

HAVEN'T WATCHED ANY OF EM.

FUCK THE MOON

MONEY
Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

I am growing legit distraught that so many people have only seen the 2001 Planet of the Apes.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
I think moon is pretty cool, ti shielded earth from asteroids allowing the appearance of life on it, and doesn't afraid of anything.
Also it has inspired amazing works in mankind, both of artistic and scientific nature, so 'tis fine by me.
More to the point, without tidal forces, the oceans probably would have completely frozen over and life as we know it wouldn't have happened.

Quote:
I am growing legit distraught that so many people have only seen the 2001 Planet of the Apes.
I dunno man, the old ones are classics, but I don't think it's ridiculous that millenials and younger haven't seen much movies from the 60s. Also, Charlton Heston is a terrible person.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:34 AM
Senhor Member

Charlton Heston is in the 2001 remake! As an ape! He presents a machine gun to his son, Tim Roth. I remember someone on the DVD commentary discussing how uncomfortable anti-gun Tim Roth was with this scene, but the filmmakers talked him into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
yo you should watch paprika
Like the Times, consider me ďonĒ ďit.Ē
Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
More to the point, without tidal forces, the oceans probably would have completely frozen over and life as we know it wouldn't have happened.

I dunno man, the old ones are classics, but I don't think it's ridiculous that millenials and younger haven't seen much movies from the 60s. Also, Charlton Heston is a terrible person.
That's fine. But the new ones are also very extremely good.

But to have only seen the Tim Burton one is... I... I mean...

I don't envy that situation is all.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:38 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Julie d'Aubigny aka "Mademoiselle Maupin" aka "La Maupin." (...)
Holy shit, +1 vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Definitely not the one with Franco
Since you had both questions 3 and 4 together in the quote, I assumed that was the answer to number 3 and for a second was kinda puzzled... It's not like there are no movies about/set in the Spanish Civil War and the following dictatorship, and about the dictator himself.

Quote:
Oh, I had forgotten about that song, thanks for reminding me! I've never consumed anything gundam, but I came across (the Japanese version of) this song once, don't remember how, and loved it.

Quote:
Oh, that too, yeah.
Team Moon fo' life. (pun not intended but gladly noticed)

Quote:
Quote:
That's fine. But the new ones are also very extremely good.

But to have only seen the Tim Burton one is... I... I mean...

I don't envy that situation is all.
It is nothing to be envied indeed.

This sort of obsession of Hollywood with this saga kind of befuddles me though. Like, of all the wells to return to so many times, why that one?
I know the original is a classic, but there are many other classics. Why the obsession of warring on primates? Guess I'll never know.

----
ETA: Besides the given ones (healthcare, education, whatnot), there's a particularly relevant subject I'll be demonstrating for on Sunday no less. Not what, but who:
Political prisoners (in Spain and elsewhere)