The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Comprehends Words

Hey Nintendo,

I made a present for you:

Please include with every new console you produce.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
... just blow on the button. Problem solved.
That's a stopgap solution, after a few months of blowing there was nothing I could do to make my Lite shoulder buttons function consistently. My DSi is doing quite well, however, one year after purchase. It's maybe too soon to declare the button design vastly superior, but the fact that they feel completely different lends me hope.

As for this 3DS thing: head tracking is certainly an interesting technology, but I'd rather have it on my big HDTV than on a tiny portable screen. I imagine we won't know if this is the next big thing or just another gimmick until some time has passed. But we can rest assured that the contents of rycar's memo will almost certainly come true!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
That's a stopgap solution, after a few months of blowing there was nothing I could do to make my Lite shoulder buttons function consistently.
[shrug] It's worked flawlessly for two years for me, although I think part of that is that I always store the DS in a case to keep dust away.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Ghost of Starman

Isn't it a bad business move to announce the successor to a product, slated for the next fiscal year, a week before an upgrade to the existing product is released?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmang View Post
Isn't it a bad business move to announce the successor to a product, slated for the next fiscal year, a week before an upgrade to the existing product is released?
The DSi XL isn't a 'new' product; it's a DSi with bigger screens and a bigger shell.

The timing makes perfect sense: Nintendo is closing their fiscal year next week and the boost from this announcement will help their market capitalization (stock is already up almost 2% this morning). Not that it needed any help.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Space Prez

Regarding the shoulder buttons on the DS Lite: I've had this happen to me twice. Both times, I opened the system up to discover that the switch that connects to the motherboard (i.e. the part that the plastic button touches) has a brown discoloration, like it had been burnt. My guess is that the switches are faulty, or something about the Lite's design makes them go bad.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Terrible confusion

As I said in another thread, I am excited about the new DS. 3D is gimmicky in movies, but that thing linked to earlier showing the DSiWare "3D" game looked intriguing. I've basically learned to trust Nintendo on these things, so bring it on!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM
concern troll

I'm in! So long as, like not EVERY game has to use the touch screen, mic, etc., not every game feels the need to be in 3D. But I'm thinking ... 3D view, 2D playing Castlevania?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Cloudcuckoolander

I just hope it won't sidetrack the overall focus of the system from what else is possible. I'd like more of what we've already been getting on top of it. And if it really is to be getting a Tegra 2, that they won't be going with a custom gimped version.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Kills Thousands

I'm not too thrilled about this move to 3D in general. As one of those few people who get massive migraines after like ten minutes of the stuff, I'm not hopeful. Maybe the stuff without the glasses won't hurt my brain like the kind with, but until I hear otherwise, I'm sticking with my DSlite.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Just bear with me

Idea: a survival horror game using this technology that lets you scan each room for hidden dangers before proceeding. It would also work pretty well for finding power-ups and other goodies.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
I'm not sure I understand this yet. So it's not optical 3D with glasses? It's some sort of effect where you can shift the system and get a sort of shadow box effect from the image on the screen? I'll need to see more of this to make any sort of sense of it.
Yeah, I don't really understand it, either.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM
We have got the maxim gun

Remakes of Virtual Boy games. Yay.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Dragon Puncher

While I think that head-tracky thing is really cool, I don't think it'll wow the mainstream media folks, especially since when they think 3D, they think Avatar's 3D.

My hopes are maybe too high, but I'm figuring something like a cross between practical Virtual Boy and Sega's Time Traveler arcade game, maybe.

I never guess Nintendo's systems correctly! Either way, day one.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 AM
barf

Hey, Mario Tennis was awesome. It is the sole reason I let my eyeballs melt in the chambers of that clunky red box.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

This sounds terrible to me. But that's a good sign because I thought the DS sounded terrible.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
The DSi XL isn't a 'new' product; it's a DSi with bigger screens and a bigger shell.

The timing makes perfect sense: Nintendo is closing their fiscal year next week and the boost from this announcement will help their market capitalization (stock is already up almost 2% this morning). Not that it needed any help.
I'm actually starting to think about dumping my Nintendo stock, just because it's so ludicrously overvalued now. My Google shares look on them with envy at this point.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Brew View Post
Hey, Mario Tennis was awesome. It is the sole reason I let my eyeballs melt in the chambers of that clunky red box.
Don't forget Wario Land! Nester's Funky Bowling was also supposed to be pretty good (and the only game that officially featured Nester, since Pilotwings 64 renamed him "Lark" and therefore doesn't count).

I'm hearing news that the new DS is supposed to use "parallax barrier LCD" technology, so it's not just some silly software gimmick... this is stuff that just couldn't be done on the standard DS or its camera-based cousin. I don't understand how parallax barrier LCD works, but I'm assuming it's one screen layered on top of another, similar to Bandai's Zaxxon and other ambitious handhelds from the early 1980s. Anyway, here's the scoop from Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/n...ation-and-sha/

Also, it's going to have an honest to goodness analog stick this time! Man, this just keeps getting better and better. Screw the DSi XL... I'm all about the 3DS.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Pokétard

Prediction: Star Fox or Metroid is part of the inaugural launch.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycar View Post
Hey Nintendo,

I made a present for you:

Please include with every new console you produce.
...But maybe correctly spelling "mediocrity".
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
Unless "L/R buttons that don't fuck up after a couple months" is a new feature I'm not gonna get too excited about this just yet.
I have a launch DS Lite, and everything works as well as the day I got it. You were doing it wrong.

PS: How will they do consistent 3D, like in the DSi ad, even in the dark (oooOOOooo)? You guys know this is going to have an accelerometer, right?

Last edited by Wolfgang; 03-23-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Cloudcuckoolander

I wonder what kind of data storage will be used this time.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
100% All Original

It seems like the 3D-ness would work really well with augmented-reality games like that ghost hunting thing.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Wretched Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman414 View Post
I wonder what kind of data storage will be used this time.
Me too. I expect it will be some sort of solid state memory card sort of thing along the lines of the DS, but you never know. I would doubt they're going to use optical discs, at any rate.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
...But maybe correctly spelling "mediocrity".
Indeed, my shame has been documented.

That's what I get for not double-checking my spellchecker's suggestions.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Dragon Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maigo View Post
Prediction: Star Fox or Metroid is part of the inaugural launch.
Could Dread have been Twilight Princess-ed? I want to believe.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
We have got the maxim gun

NEW! Super Jack Bros.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Remembers Love

It seems like it'd have to have meatier chops and more memory, since the DS is pretty so-so with polygons. Unless everything was rendered Parappa-style. I'd be okay with that too.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I say thee neigh

Man, fuck the 3D shit, I'm all about the new hardware. Particularly--if this thing really has all the juice that the Gamecube did, like the rumors say.

Plus, I'll be honest, they stopped making DS games I cared about a few years ago. I think the most recent one I bought was FFIV. All the new stuff is non-Games, kids licenses, and Japanese stuff I don't give a hoot about (which is to say, RPGs). I've more or less jumped ship to the PSP, with it's trickle of actually hot Japanese stuff like Dissidia. But this thing? They could put Gundam VS Gundam on this thing, presumambly.

I am totally excited. Heheheh, just yesterday I was all like, "Man if they don't announce a new DS at E3, I'll go get a DSi." Well played, Iwater-sahn. If they got some hot launch title action, I might just buy this bad boy day 1, 3D or not.

Woo!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Wretched Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
If they got some hot launch title action, I might just buy this bad boy day 1, 3D or not.
Luigi's Mansion 3D, if the DS was any indicator. They'll make you scream "Mario? Maaaaaarioooo!" into the microphone at regular intervals to proceed and will use the accelerometer to control movement. You don't even want to know how you'll have to suck up ghosts.

Tags
2ds , 3d display , 3ds , 3ds3 , american kirby is angry , bowser allinyoface , depth that might surprise , eyestrain , fear of new threads , handhelds , hardware , nintendo , nomonsterhunternosale , potent portables , preowned new 3ds , the ghost of gunpei yokoi , thin edge of the wedge , this is good for playcoin , virtual boy 2