The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Season 2 is worth watching if you really like Season 1. It's not quite as good, but this show has one of the best* finales ever.

I recently watched the movie, and while it wasn't really as good as 2 episodes of the show put together, I still enjoyed it enough. There was one sequence in particular that is just so David Lynch I could hardly contain my satisfaction.

*Provided you're okay with cliffhangers.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
The were talking about Twin Peaks on the Bombcast recently, and it sounds like David Lynch left the show after one season, at which point things maybe fell apart?
They slightly misspoke on the Bombcast. They said the mystery was solved in the first season, but it wasn't actually solved until the middle of the second, after which the show does kind of peter out. Lynch stopped writing after that point, though he did come back to direct the finale, which I think is worth watching even if you lose interest in the show before then. The movie is also interesting but hard to recommend unless you are really curious.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Sudden chomper

Just finished the first season and AAAAAARRRGHH FUCK YOU TWIN PEAKS. So now I have to decide if I'm going to watch any more, and how much, because I was mistakenly under the impression that the end of the first season would wrap up the whole Laura Palmer case. In fact:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
They slightly misspoke on the Bombcast. They said the mystery was solved in the first season, but it wasn't actually solved until the middle of the second, after which the show does kind of peter out. Lynch stopped writing after that point, though he did come back to direct the finale, which I think is worth watching even if you lose interest in the show before then. The movie is also interesting but hard to recommend unless you are really curious.
That's why. So should I watch the first half of the second season and stop as soon as the main story has been resolved? From all the chatter in this thread, it sounds like things get really dire in the back half of season 2, and I don't want to watch a bunch of crappy TV for the sake of completionism.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Gesundheit!

Watch up through season 2, episode 8 and you've pretty much seen all of the relevant Laura Palmer episodes. The show doesn't experience a significant dip in quality until after the mystery's solved.

Believe me, you want to see the reveal episode. I actually just rewatched it last night, and can't believe something that stylistically daring earned a viewership of millions and millions of people, in 1990 no less.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The final episode is also David Lynch directed and pretty great. You can skip everything leading up to it, honestly. Just treat it like a post-time skip epilogue or something.

The movie is also worth watching, if you like the more experimental style of the reveal episode and the final episode of season 2.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 AM

I'd drop back in more like 3 episodes by the end, or ideally, watch the whole thing but just kinda have it on in the background while you do something else and barely pay attention until it does something to catch your attention again.

Basically, the way it breaks down is, the writers pretty much planned to keep the whole Laura Palmer thing going until the series finale, just kinda using that fairly grounded mystery as steady guideline to hang all the weirder darker stuff off and just kinda get all world-buildy. Then, because people fundamentally did not know how good TV works back then, the network mandated that they resolve the show's central mystery because fans were whining about how badly they wanted to know who the killer was.

So... they did, and it was pretty @#$%ing awesome, but again, it was the core of the show, and they had no reason to get into the real meat of all the black lodge stuff without it. So there's a period (and it honestly isn't really very long at all, maybe 5 episodes, it just feels like an eternity) where there's just... nothing to talk about. The writers were forced to play their hand way too early, and it just kinda left them flatfooted. So it's just stupid soap opera filler for a few episodes.

After THAT though, they suck it up, and bring a villain (whose inclusion was, if I recall, originally planned anyway, albeit in a different context). Sounds cheesy out of context (and OK, it's still a little cheesy in context) but it gives Cooper an excuse to, you know, still be around, and much more importantly allows the Black Lodge stuff to resurface, leading into the rather amazing finale. Watch it without the lead-up and you'll just be confused at who this big obvious Bad Guy is, and where he came from.

More importantly, you miss David Duchovny and Ted Raimi showing up! Also Heather Graham, but there's no fun secret crossover connections of goofy character acting there.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM
It's all good, man

Yeah man, just watch the show.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Yeah man, just watch the show.
This.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Sudden chomper

Man, I ain't got time to watch 8 hours of bad TV.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
It's really, really good TV until it gets bad though, then it saves itself at the very end. Just keep watching, then skip to the last episode either after [BIG REVEAL EPISODE].

No coimpletionism watching required.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Just finished the first season and AAAAAARRRGHH FUCK YOU TWIN PEAKS. So now I have to decide if I'm going to watch any more, and how much, because I was mistakenly under the impression that the end of the first season would wrap up the whole Laura Palmer case. In fact:

That's why. So should I watch the first half of the second season and stop as soon as the main story has been resolved? From all the chatter in this thread, it sounds like things get really dire in the back half of season 2, and I don't want to watch a bunch of crappy TV for the sake of completionism.
Eh, I only REALLY hated the James Hurley bullshit subplot, but the others were either ok or just kind of annoying with the occasional amusing moment. Honestly I'd recommend them more as setup for the final episode, which absolutely is worth watching beyond the Laura Palmer case being resolved. If you don't want to bother then see if you can get episode summaries or something to have more context.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It's really, really good TV until it gets bad though, then it saves itself at the very end. Just keep watching, then skip to the last episode either after [BIG REVEAL EPISODE].

No coimpletionism watching required.
Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think I will do. I really liked the first season, and while it's too bad that the second isn't as good, I would at least like to see the main arc resolved. After that, maybe I'll just read some summaries and watch the last episode.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Then watch it until you hit an episode you legitimately didn't enjoy. Don't just skip an episode because everyone tells you to.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think I will do. I really liked the first season, and while it's too bad that the second isn't as good, I would at least like to see the main arc resolved. After that, maybe I'll just read some summaries and watch the last episode.
Do what 9 inch samurai said. Keep watching the show, and if you start disliking it, feel free to skip ahead.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Gesundheit!

New series in 2016!!

Nine Lynch-directed episodes!!

For those keeping count that's as much directorial Lynch as we've gotten in two decades
Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I doubt they'd have much trouble getting Kyle MacLachlan back. Besides the fact that Lynch is directing Dale Cooper is all I'd need to be optimistic.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM

I am so fucking hyped for this.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Gesundheit!

My guess is that MacLachlan's a sure thing, and (spoiler tag in case anyone is still watching) Cooper has aged into the possessed Leland Palmer of current Twin Peaks.

Or Lynch could just totally fucking throw a curveball, because he's David Lynch.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:41 AM
It's all good, man

It will be interesting how they address the BOB storyline with the actor being dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Cooper has aged into the possessed Leland Palmer of current Twin Peaks.
Wait what

Last edited by Adrenaline; 10-06-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:43 PM
New Video World is out!

I can't wait to watch the new season of Twin Peaks.

The new fucking season of Twin fucking Peaks!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Default Got a recommendation from the Deadly Premonition thread

I finished season 1 last week. The season finale really highlights the part I dislike about the show, which is the soap opera elements. I don't dislike soap operas, but I think they don't mesh with the other elements of the show. For instance I love that soap they keep showing on their TVs, but only because it's separate. I think the setting and characters are already kooky enough without having them all sleeping with one another.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:05 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
New series in 2016!!

For those keeping count that's as much directorial Lynch as we've gotten in two decades
and, every ep will be written by Lynch and series co-creator Mark Frost. so basically it's the perfect storm that Season 1 was.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Goodbye!

SO STOKED. I gotta say, though - if Coop is possessed/the villain for the whole show, I will broken hearted. I'm not saying that it's a BAD decision, I'm just saying it will break my ever lovin' heart.

Edit: Here's a fun little tidbit about Big Ed.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
New series in 2016!!

Hey! I'm the only one around here who is allowed to resurrect old and died threads!

You've been warned Tao!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:23 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Yasumi Matsuno is excited about this, and he tweeted a link to this Twin Peaks tie in coffee ad:

Like other people in this thread, I'm excited for all the possibilities of old Kyle McLaughlin in the aftermath of the show's final episode.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:15 AM

Default I don't have the streaming service

I just realized Twin Peaks is available on Hulu for free and in better quality than the DVDs I've been getting from Netflix. I'm about to binge hardcore.

Started season 2 yesterday and wow at the first 15 minutes of the episode. I can't imagine what it was like for people during the original airing. Probably waiting all summer for the resolution for several cliffhangers and just having to wait through that scene.

I'm only 4-5 episodes in but so far I like the second season better than the first. There is a lot more weird and creepy stuff going on and all the who's sleeping with who is already covered. I still don't understand why the lumber mill is so important though. It may be more expensive but aren't they surrounded by land that could be developed?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
I just realized Twin Peaks is available on Hulu for free and in better quality than the DVDs I've been getting from Netflix. I'm about to binge hardcore.

Started season 2 yesterday and wow at the first 15 minutes of the episode. I can't imagine what it was like for people during the original airing. Probably waiting all summer for the resolution for several cliffhangers and just having to wait through that scene.

I'm only 4-5 episodes in but so far I like the second season better than the first. There is a lot more weird and creepy stuff going on and all the who's sleeping with who is already covered. I still don't understand why the lumber mill is so important though. It may be more expensive but aren't they surrounded by land that could be developed?
Twin Peaks is on Netflix streaming...
Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Behind these white picket fences lies a dark and twisted world where people watch a show on Hulu that they could have watched commercial free on Netflix instant.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Netflix split their service though, so some people (like me) are disc-only.

Also it needs stressing that nobody streams Twin Peaks with the Log Lady intros attached. You're really depriving yourself of a big part of the experience like that.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
I still don't understand why the lumber mill is so important though. It may be more expensive but aren't they surrounded by land that could be developed?
Owning the mill includes all the land containing the trees it's harvesting?

Tags
gravity falls for adults , illseeyouagainin25years , it is happening again