The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-11-2017, 11:57 PM

The other weird thing about Del Rey's abortive Moyashimon release is that there are two different versions of volume 1 out there. I don't have my copies handy to check, but I recall there being some noticeable localization/touch-up differences right from page 1. Always wondered what the deal was there.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 AM
post-mystic lich princess

let's see, are there any gems in the endless garbage yuri scanslation fountain today

Quote:
black-haired, embittered, former roguelike developer guides and comforts enthusiastic newcomer who learns to temper her expectations
...unerringly close, but the mobile games company setting is a step too removed.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Ah, I figured you would've picked up on the girls' schools HEMA competition manga I saw the other day.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:04 AM
me want the puyopuyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
let's see, are there any gems in the endless garbage yuri scanslation fountain today

...unerringly close, but the mobile games company setting is a step too removed.
it's by mikanuji, so I'm satisfied. weirdly, I hadn't seen anything about it on her pixiv, etc. -- it caught me completely by surprise, but a pleasant surprise

the HEMA one starts off creepy (train groping) but quickly becomes hilarious-nutso. apparently the author is a HEMA participant as well!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 AM
post-mystic lich princess

the joke was that I am also an asian embittered black-haired former-roguelike-developer lesbian

if only I had worked on an analogous mystery dungeon game instead, I could have made their dungeon levels less boring
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM
me want the puyopuyon

Ahhh! Well, fwiw I thought the first chapter was very cute, though I can see why people think it's derivative of New Game!

(I think it's actually pretty distinct; New Game! was written by a guy who'd done art direction for one of the older Star Ocean games and was specifically about the art/character design department for a game; this one feels based more around a wider scope of game dev, since the studio seems much smaller and there aren't as neat divisions of roles -- a la early SquareSoft. Also it's definitely much more openly gay!)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:07 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I'm rereading Boku Girl and it looks like the group that was scanlating it just up and quit late last year. It seems like it's still not likely to get a proper English release either.

why do we get so much trash, but not my trash?
Old 03-25-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
I'm rereading Boku Girl and it looks like the group that was scanlating it just up and quit late last year. It seems like it's still not likely to get a proper English release either.

why do we get so much trash, but not my trash?
There was some hilarious/pathetic scanlation drama, and the translator of the group basically quit leaving everything in limbo. Something that wouldn't have been a big deal X years ago, but in today's anemic/moribund fan translation scene it's a death sentence to a niche manga.

It was painfully obvious Boku Girl was prematurely cancelled, and the ending was rushed. But it still managed to write a good character progression arc for Mizuki and have a good conclusion to her story with a very uplifting and largely positive message about dealing with gender identity at the end. Boku Girl was a guilty-ass guilty pleasure, but Imma miss it.

I've been reading the new Jump series Dr. Stone. Its premise is incredibly stupid, but so far it's a lot of fun. A magical catastrophe causes a couple of kids to wake up in The History Channel's Life After People, and they begin to set about the task of rebuilding society/humanity out of a wilderness-reclaimed world. The deus ex machina event that caused the end of the world is beyond stupid and filled with lots of plot holes and questions, but that isn't as important as the teenagers applying real and sound scientific knowledge to blast through the neolithic age at light speed, which is a lot of fun. IIRC it's being written by the guy who wrote Bakuman, so it has the same slavish attention to detail and process of the subject matter being explored. Dr. Stone is also drop dead gorgeous too. The only downside, besides being stupid at times, is that it also comes with this Bakuman author's terrible terrible awful terrible writing about women/relationships. The only girl so far in this exists as a McGuffin to be rescued and eventually be a new Eve for humanity. The opening pages did however have a wonderful little moment of President Trump dying, so that was nice.

Edit: It has come to my attention that Bakuman-guy has nothing to do with this comic, and I'm not sure if I fever-dreamt that detail up, but it turns out it's bullshit. My criticism though about Miss McGuffin stands tho.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 03-27-2017 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Turns out I'm stoopid
Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
There was some hilarious/pathetic scanlation drama, and the translator of the group basically quit leaving everything in limbo. Something that wouldn't have been a big deal X years ago, but in today's anemic/moribund fan translation scene it's a death sentence to a niche manga.
This was the case with the group who was originally doing Dear My Teacher as well, and that's a shame because it was basically the only student-teacher romance story that didn't give me the fucking creeps because it was like the one time a teacher in that position actually considered the responsibility of her position.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I just finished Twin Spica, a manga that I've waited to read for 15 years, ever since I first saw the anime that long ago and found out that there was no English translation available for the ongoing manga (either scanslated or official).

Of course, now I've waited too long, so the English release is out of print and I had to read it by buying kindle editions and reading those on my PC. >_< Which is a shame, because I would very much like to own a physical copy, but the aftermarket prices say that's not happening.

Anyway, I absolutely adored it, and if I was re-doing my comic list for the Top 50 right now (I was only part-way through at time of voting), it would jump right up to the top. Apparently I have a thing for stories about aspiring astronauts, but this is the cream of the crop. I'm still sort of decompressing, but it's just... a really important work, to me.

It's beautiful and inspiring, and inexplicably nostalgic. It's slow and relaxing, but also frequently tragic and tear-jerking, but without ever feeling manipulative. It just feels deeply personal in a way that I can't quite explain. I'm very glad to have read it, but I wish even more that I'd been able to read it as a teenager.

Anyway, I mostly just have an intense need to write/talk about it at the moment, and am bummed that not many people seem to have read it.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:07 PM
me want the puyopuyon

*Crosses 'Mikanuji' and 'Hachiko' off and adds 'Mochi au Lait' to a list titled "yuri pixiv artists I hope get mainstream opportunities (relative to the size of this meagre-ass industry)"*

(not meant to be a knock on either lady, to be clear)

Last edited by muteKi; 03-31-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 PM
me want the puyopuyon

of course I fuckin' changed my display name from 'ahegao and kase-san' on the same day they drop the scanlation of the chapter where they do it for the first time

(god bless that series though)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Default contains muteki catnip

This has ended up being a very "teg buys books to keep herself from freaking out" kind of week.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Is there not one thing

How's the 25th anniversary GitS? Still got the Toren Smith localization?
Old 04-01-2017, 09:50 AM

I finally finished reading Boku Girl and I actually didn't feel like the ending felt rushed like a lot of people did. I'm super glad that Mizuki more or less outright admits to being trans by the end and even goes so far as to ask Takeru if he still would have loved her even if she'd had to transition the old-fashioned way.

It's still a fucking crime that it hasn't been picked up in English, especially since the scanlations rapidly deteriorate in quality as they approach the end. I'm considering cleaning up the watermarks and black levels myself for archival purposes, at least.

Didn't Yen Press or Seven Seas or someone announce a line specifically for adult trans, trap, and crossdressing manga a while back? Did I dream that? Either way, what the fuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
How's the 25th anniversary GitS? Still got the Toren Smith localization?
I don't have the Dark Horse edition to compare, but apparently it's exactly the same except with unedited artwork (as in, original SFX and stuff, they didn't put the lesbian sex scene back in). Also I forgot how dry and jargony everything GitS is so I'm only just barely crawling through it.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I finally finished reading Boku Girl and I actually didn't feel like the ending felt rushed like a lot of people did.
To elaborate a little more, I don't think Mizuki's character development was rushed, but it's really obvious the mangaka was told "hey, we're cancelling your comic, wrap it up in like 6-8 chapters pls." About a year/50 chapters into Boku Girl, reading the comic feels like editorial told the mangaka "OK, we're picking up your contract for a long time!" because very suddenly, the cast expands out wide very fast introducing a lot of characters within a small window of time, and the comic begins to attempt longer stories versus one-off gags. When things do that, they're looking towards long-term viability and keeping things interesting over the course of years and years. And the comic never got around to doing much if anything with most of those characters before ending. It was just very abruptly, suddenly Thor shows up and is like "yo, wrap this shit up" and then it's over. It would have been nice to see things go on longer and have Mizuki & Co's character development happen over a longer period of time.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Yeah, I get that, but it still wraps up at a much more lenient pace than expected given how people talked about it (it even has an epilogue!). Plus, introducing a character and doing nothing with them is a known quantity in the series: Nanatarou and especially his fiancé do almost nothing after their initial reveal despite debuting fairly early on, for instance.

The latest Assassination Classroom floored me by pulling out a twist that directly addressed my biggest complaint with the series, and even went so far as to point out how far down the line it had been foreshadowed. Fucking golf clap, man. Also Kase-san is the platonic* ideal of the high school lesbian romance.

*no pun intended
Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Quote:
Also Kase-san is the platonic* ideal of the high school lesbian romance.
mhmmmmm I really hope the author keeps the series going through their college years, but there seems to have been a breakdown in communication about that
Old 04-02-2017, 04:23 AM
d.o_o.b

Speaking of high school romance comics that I'm reading even though I'm thirty, Horimiya is a lot of fun.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Speaking of high school romance comics that I'm reading even though I'm thirty, Horimiya is a lot of fun.
Same. It kinda reminds me of KareKano before that went off the rails...
Old 04-04-2017, 05:28 AM

Holy shit, I just found an excuse to put off reading Akira for another seven months.

Also, just wanted to reiterate that this is such a good year for me, teg, specifically. There's more yuri coming out than I can stay caught up with. And Princess Jellyfish is back on schedule to boot!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 AM
King Of Space-Time

Damn. You could use that thing as a coffee table.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 AM
me want the puyopuyon

Quote:
There's more yuri coming out than I can stay caught up with.
God I know, right? What a wonderful problem for us to have.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:17 PM

A friend brought this video to my attention b/c he knew I liked Boku Girl, and it's an interesting take on things.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 AM
me want the puyopuyon

I don't know who, like on a personal level, is responsible for the Now Loading...! scanlation, but they really need to be working as professionals in the industry.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:48 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Rule of Zero is on Fakku, ~$10 for two volumes. If I hadn't just plunked down money on Handmaiden and was saving up to bring my fiancee here for getting married, I'd pull the lever. But...another day, I think. As much as it hurts to say.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Is there not one thing

Last night instead of doing homework I cracked open Tsutomu Nihei's BLAME! and the evening vanished like raindrops on hot pavement. I'd still pay considerably to see his take on Den.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Oily Butt Thing

did you know they got Nihei to do concept work for one of the however many aborted Neuromancer movies? It was pretty neat stuff.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Are You Sure About That?

That brings to mind the Shadowrun manga that somebody's just started scanlating. It apparently never saw release outside Japan, and it's very 90's Japanese Cyberpunk from the bit I've read.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:37 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
did you know they got Nihei to do concept work for one of the however many aborted Neuromancer movies? It was pretty neat stuff.
I'm actually not too sad about that never hitting production on account of the immense compromises needed to cover the delta between Nihei's imagination and what you can build for less than $Texas.

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations