The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Ocean's Eleven (2001) just showed up on Netflix, so last night I finally watched it. Very entertaining movie, plenty of clever twists and turns, charming actors out the wazoo. But today I feel kind of bad about the whole thing, as if I ate a dozen doughnuts yesterday. Sure, they were tasty, but also completely devoid of substance. Clooney's Ocean is a super-genius whose plan never comes close to failing for the whole run of the movie. The crew is a total boys' club and the only woman in the movie has effectively zero agency, serving mostly to motivate Ocean and make him look really, really clever. But none of that changes the fact that I had fun while watching it. Is this the one night stand of movies?

Also, can anybody confirm my suspicion that the two sequels are basically the same thing but less good? I don't plan on watching them, but if one of them is a secret gem then I might give it a chance.
It's Soderbergh, so it's among the most well-crafted, artisanal popcorn you're going to get. I think it's a legit great movie.

Don't worry about seeing the sequels, Thirteen is pretty good but not in a way that differs from what Eleven already accomplished. Twelve tries to do something different but doesn't really work at all.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Also, can anybody confirm my suspicion that the two sequels are basically the same thing but less good? I don't plan on watching them, but if one of them is a secret gem then I might give it a chance.
Trust your instincts.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
It's a damn shame that Shining readings have gone off the deep end in recent years, because you could devote years to that movie.
I think 2001 might be a useful tool in trying to comprehend dumb Shining readings. I used to appreaciate the movie on a purely aesthetic/tech level. Then I read and watched stuff that highlighted the transcendental stuff about tools and overcoming the limitations of human frailty that was plausible enough to be intentional for a sharp-as-hell filmmaker like Kubrick. Then I started getting into dumb death-of-the-author stuff that most likely arose out of the Kubrick being prenaturally fluent in cinematography (did you know the Monolith has the same ratio as widescreen, man?)

The issue with the Room 237 stuff is that it goes, like nine levels beyond that.

My Powell/Pressburger marathon didn't really get off the ground, but I did watch A Matter of Life and Death [/Stairway to Heaven]. Gorgeous movie. There's a singularly ethereal quality to early technicolor that this film really embodies, especially as it plays with and against equally striking b&w cinematography. The story is...sanguine? And there's a fun late-War aside in third act regarding British/American relations, but the Archers present it with such haunting panache that it really left a mark.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
I think 2001 might be a useful tool in trying to comprehend dumb Shining readings. I used to appreaciate the movie on a purely aesthetic/tech level. Then I read and watched stuff that highlighted the transcendental stuff about tools and overcoming the limitations of human frailty that was plausible enough to be intentional for a sharp-as-hell filmmaker like Kubrick. Then I started getting into dumb death-of-the-author stuff that most likely arose out of the Kubrick being prenaturally fluent in cinematography (did you know the Monolith has the same ratio as widescreen, man?)

The issue with the Room 237 stuff is that it goes, like nine levels beyond that.
There are good outside-the-box readings of The Shining to be found (similar to Requiem for a Dream, the plot diagram of The Shining makes no sense until you realize the main characters are not the protagonists [RfaD's protagonist is addiction, Shining's protagonist is the hotel,]) and even Roger Ebert's just-the-facts reading pointed out that none of the central characters are reliable narrators. But holy fuckin shit the numerology and Room 237 style stuff out there is straight up schizophrenic ideation.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:54 AM
120 Days

Quote:
It's a damn shame that Shining readings have gone off the deep end in recent years, because you could devote years to that movie.
That scene where Danny is in the bedroom with Jack in that house coat having the most creepy conversation ever... this is like how I picture my dad from my 6 year old POV. Ech
Old 05-21-2017, 02:24 AM
Kringle Machine

The movie also managed to make long, uninterrupted shots of nothing whatsoever terrifying.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Gesundheit!

Justin Timberlake + The Tennessee Kids: RIP Jonathan Demme. This is just stunningly pulled off, and the charisma inherent in every single micro-gesture on not just Timberlake's part but the entire band's is really impressive. I also really loved the rundown during the credits detailing how the stage was actually constructed. It's something I've wondered a lot for huge, touring arena shows like this, and it reminded me of the similar credits sequence from Kubo and the Two Strings about how the puppeteers built the 18-foot-tall stop-motion skeleton. I love when movies use the credits for nuts-and-bolts stuff like that, actually related to the contributions of the crew, much more than Marvel-style teasers or jokes.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
That scene where Danny is in the bedroom with Jack in that house coat having the most creepy conversation ever... this is like how I picture my dad from my 6 year old POV. Ech
I don't know what hellish vein Kubrick mined to protray the dread of living with an abuser so well, but it's all in there
Old 05-21-2017, 11:47 AM
120 Days

It's a bit too real.

Drunken resentment "problems with the ol sperm bank"
Old 05-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Kringle Machine

The main difference between the movie and the book (besides the ending) is that in the book, Jack gave the impression he was recovering from being a monster.

In the movie, he was just taking a break from it.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Better be the real thing.

Very much so. The novel spends a lot of time in Jack's head, and it's clear he's stuffed with regret over what he's done under the influence, and he's doing everything he can to make up for it and do right by his family. I may disagree with Stephen King's take on Kubrick's version (I like both about equally), but I perfectly understand where he's coming from.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Very much so. The novel spends a lot of time in Jack's head, and it's clear he's stuffed with regret over what he's done under the influence, and he's doing everything he can to make up for it and do right by his family. I may disagree with Stephen King's take on Kubrick's version (I like both about equally), but I perfectly understand where he's coming from.
There are few moments where Jack's face shows his total relief at having an excuse to lash out at Wendy. It's the only time he's not white-knuckling his way to a sense of control. His only relief from the torture is drinking too much and brutalizing his wife, but he won't admit that this is because he drinks too much and brutalizes his wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
It's a bit too real.

Drunken resentment "problems with the ol sperm bank"
Exactly. Todd Alcott points out that Jack as portrayed in the first few minutes seems like he'd be totally on board with chopping up Wendy then cracking open a bottle for a job well done. Most damning is how Grady only has to convince Jack that he needs to "correct" Danny - killing Wendy is already on the to-do list.

Last edited by Ample Vigour; 05-21-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Kringle Machine

Quote:
Exactly. Todd Alcott points out that Jack as portrayed in the first few minutes seems like he'd be totally on board with chopping up Wendy then cracking open a bottle for a job well done. Most damning is how Grady only has to convince Jack that he needs to "correct" Danny - killing Wendy is already on the to-do list.
I only watched the movie after reading the book, and that was my first hint that something has gone terribly askew re: Jacks character
Old 05-21-2017, 03:05 PM
120 Days

Quote:
There are few moments where Jack's face shows his total relief at having an excuse to lash out at Wendy. It's the only time he's not white-knuckling his way to a sense of control. His only relief from the torture is drinking too much and brutalizing his wife, but he won't admit that this is because he drinks too much and brutalizes his wife.

A very willful boy.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 AM
This Guy

I saw the Netflix distributed Mindhorn, a British comedy about a washed up TV actor. It has one joke, that no one remembers the 25 year old detective show that main character famous, and it repeats it for 90 minutes. I don't know that it is a good movie, but I liked its joke is most of the permutations that it was told. It was a comedy and I laughed pretty consistently. I would also watch the fake TV show Mindhorn, a detective show about a man with a robot eye that can see the truth.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I would also watch the fake TV show Mindhorn, a detective show about a man with a robot eye that can see the truth.
"No one can pull the wool over my left eye!"
Old 05-23-2017, 11:48 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I saw the Netflix distributed Mindhorn, a British comedy about a washed up TV actor. It has one joke, that no one remembers the 25 year old detective show that main character famous, and it repeats it for 90 minutes.
Entourage basically turned that joke into seven seasons of plotlines for Johnny Drama.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 PM
This Guy

Since basketball didn't happen tonight, I stopped by the movie theater and watched Baywatch. Because sometimes movies are obviously bad, but they have The Rock in them so I have to watch them anyway. There are moments in Baywatch when a good movie peeks out (that movie is 21 Jump Street) but most of the time it strands charismatic performers with subpar material. And just shitty movie making. There is a scene where the characters are suddenly back in their clothes from the day before. It wouldn't be noticeable, except that in all the scenes around it they are in their uniform swimsuits. It is is clearly out of place. The thing is, The Rock still almost makes it work. He plays it completely straight, like a lifeguard investigating a drug smuggling ring is a normal thing and not completely absurd. When playing it straight and letting the inherent idiocy speak for itself, instead of combining bad jokes with obnoxious musical cues, the movie kind of works.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
There are moments in Baywatch when a good movie peeks out (that movie is 21 Jump Street)
I know there's some crossover with the staff involved (to say nothing of how Efron's clearly modelling this career resurgence of his on Channing Tatum's), but HOLY SHIT do the commercials make this obvious.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:22 AM
Space dad

Well, Logan was pretty great. Ended about how I expected, though Charles's death was a bit more abrupt than I would have figured.

Am I right in looking at this movie as basically a standalone? I mean there are references to the first one and Apocalypse at least, but it seems like a long way from the end of DoFP to here (which was only set 6 years before), even considering.

God, the X-Men movie continuity is such an unholy mess.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:34 AM
ah’m margaret wartahm

Ryan Reynolds has played two different Deadpools. Gr8.

I remember thinking "it's a stretch, but it could fit" when I saw this in theaters, but I don't care that much. I wouldn't mind a reboot.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Kringle Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Ryan Reynolds has played two different Deadpools. Gr8.

I remember thinking "it's a stretch, but it could fit" when I saw this in theaters, but I don't care that much. I wouldn't mind a reboot.
That much makes perfect sense considering DoFPs historical revisionism.

These movies do their very darnedest to emulate the X-Men's continuity.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:56 PM
This Guy

I went with my brothers to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. It frequently comes close to being as much fun as the first two movies (I maintain that the three way sword fight at the end of Dead Man's Chest is the series high point) but every time it approaches it just sort of deflates into nothing. There are no good action sequences in this movie. There are some pretty great set ups for such scenes, and the plot sets a lot of interesting pieces in place, but it all adds up to nothing. There is not one interesting or coherent sword fight in the whole movie. I would have considered the movie a win if I had got to see some moderately entertaining swashbuckling, but that is part where movie falls completely flat.

To make sure I wasn't mis-remembering the old Pirates movies, I loaded up the first on Netflix. That movie holds up. That last fight between Barbosa and Jack is a ton of fun.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:05 PM

Apparently Johnny Depp can't be bothered learning his lines anymore, so I bet he's not interested in any fight choreography, either.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Space dad

The original PotC is one of the most unlikely terrific adventure movies ever made, frankly. The second one had some great stuff too (the fight on the wheel), and the third was pretty dire. I don't remember anything good about Dead Man's Chest. Hardly anything at all. There was a good fight in that?
Old 05-28-2017, 04:55 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

The second one was Dead Man's Chest, wasn't it?

The fourth was something about tides.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
The original PotC is one of the most unlikely terrific adventure movies ever made, frankly. The second one had some great stuff too (the fight on the wheel), and the third was pretty dire. I don't remember anything good about Dead Man's Chest. Hardly anything at all. There was a good fight in that?
The second one bored me to tears, that fight scene went on way too long.

Third one brought Barbaros back, that bought it a lot of goodwill from me. Depressing ending, though.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:08 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I remember thinking that the third one's final battle came close to matching the final fight in Hulk for "wait, what the fuck am I watching" squinting at the screen. I just remember two ships circling around a whirlpool in a largely colourless environment and not having any fucking clue which was which after about 30 seconds.

Which was a problem, because in my memory that last fight lasted about six hours.

(As for the wheel scene: it was goofy enough, but like most things after the first movie - and even the first movie if I'm being honest because even that had about six unnecessary double-crosses - it was far too long for its own good.)

But, hey, Effy from Skins is in this one, as is Sir Paul. Might be worth streaming one day.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Half-Ninja

Part of my problem with the series is that in the first movie, you're never sure if Jack is incredibly clever and acts the fool, or if he's an incredibly lucky idiot. The later movies seem to steer hard into the latter, which makes him a less interesting character.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Serial Thread Killer

The first Pirates was great. The most fun I've ever had in a movie theater. I can't remember what year it came out but I was probably 11? The whole idea of pirates was a pretty nebulous concept for me, so its like "A pirate movie? Do they swordfight? I'm on board!"

The second one was not as good but sort of kept the spirit of the first one. That being that pirates are awesome and the more spectacularly over-the-top they can get, the better. It was an adventure movie, and an awesome adventure.

By the time the third one came out, it sort of felt like a parody of itself. Like, alright three is enough, also what the hell is going on? There's not a ton of focus here. Something something about the East India Company, Jack being insane, and a sea goddess. Just whatever. Shipwreck Cove was a neat idea. Not the scene, the location.

I haven't watched the newer ones but I assume they've got the same problems as the third. The first two had more focus and a tighter story.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road