The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 AM

Is joke. You said "Coup rules," followed by one sentence. Short rule set.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 AM
It's all good, man

Oh. Funny, I noticed the double meaning when I made the post and then forgot about it.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
RainierWolfcastleThat'sTheJoke.jpg

($3 is a pretty low payment for assassination.)

I wonder if I should do a wrap-up post when we're done that talks about each photo. After all, nothing funnier than explaining a joke... >_<
Oh, I see now! He didn't take the job.

I'm a little slow
Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Crabjörn

I was the guy who put Coup: Rebellion G54 on my list (as well as normal Coup).

As mentioned, it has a ton of different roles. Each game, you choose a Finance role (Duke equivalent), a Communications (Ambassador) role, a Force (Assassin) role, and two Special Interests (the other ones). Okay, technically you randomly choose them, but that's not as fun for me.

Aside from a few minor changes to adapt to this (Foreign Aid is no longer in NOT THAT ANYBODY USED IT, roles can only counter themselves) that's about it. The fun still comes from lying about what you think you can get away with and then playing bald-faced straight about what you actually have. The different roles also change up the metagame of what strategies become valuable.

In normal Coup, you don't let anyone stay too far ahead of the pack in terms of life, but with the Lawyer (claim when another player is eliminated to take their dosh) in play, suddenly the weaker players become delicious tasty prizes. If your table tends to play highly aggressive, maybe throw in the Foreign Consular (enters alliances with other players so they cannot target each other) and see about redirecting that elsewhere. If everyone claiming Duke becomes a problem, try switching to Capitalist (takes 4, but gives everyone a chance to claim Capitalist as well to take 1 from you) and watch that problem vanish into mist.

Normal Coup feels slightly more finetuned, which is all right, but honestly I far prefer Rebellion: G54 now.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

"I tax you with my Duke. That I totally have."

If you recognize that phrase you've been to Talcon. Coup is fantastic. You can play it with a bushel of people, it doesn't take long to understand, and it plays quick.

This game is perfect for game nights or parties for filling up the spaces between "more serious" games. Don't be surprised though if it ends up being the main draw for people!
Old 05-15-2017, 11:49 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
"I tax you with my Duke. That I totally have."
You beat me to it
Old 05-15-2017, 12:02 PM
For blood and gold

A bunch of games that didn't make my list:

Go - Heard about it plenty, but never played it or really read about it.

Werewolf - In person, this is a nice party game. As Rascally Badger pointed out, alcohol gives it a great dynamic and mitigates its worst part: Player elimination. Especially in a party game, that is just weak sauce and when you're playing a game that is hard enough to get people into because many dislike lying, it fails.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - Fixes a lot of Werewolf's problems and still gives the same feeling. That said, it's not too hard to run into degenerate game states. Unlike Betrayal at House on the Hill, games are only 5 minutes, so even in that case you can always try again. This one nearly made my list, but I already had Resistance which I enjoy more.

Coup - JBear said what I wanted to say which is that this is more of a bluffing game than a hidden role game. Like pence, my tastes have moved away from Coup (and bluffing games in general), but unlike him it's because I realized I enjoy hidden role games and not bluffing games. Especially in Coup, I feel the balance between lying and getting called out for lying isn't quite right. Too often you see the low stakes poker problem of everyone's bluff getting called. I've played Coup a lot, but eventually realized I was only having "a little" fun playing it at best.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Crabjörn

Coup meta seems to vary starkly whenever I hear it. In my groups it seems really rare to call people out on roles (and as such we have a severe problem with people just claiming Communications/Ambassador to mill through the deck and learn possibilities).
Old 05-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Regarding Go, that's a game I've always wanted to learn but just haven't yet. There's a guy at one of our LGSs who for years has shown up there every Tuesday night with his Go board to teach people how to play. I feel like if Go guy ever disappears, it would be a sign of the end times.
He sounds lonely. You should Go talk to him.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:32 PM
TARANTUL

I voted for Coup at #6. With my Duke.

That I totally have.

(honestly I bluff Captain a lot more than Duke)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The only role I ever consistently bluff is Ambassador.

No one ever calls you on it. And you get to muck with the Deck.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I never bluff. You can take my every action in Coup entirely at face value.

>_>

<_<
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Crabjörn

Oh, on that note.

There are two cards in Rebellion: G54 that you can only claim when you would lose a life. One of these, the Intellectual, is straightforward enough: claim it (setting it facedown, of course) to gain 5 dosh. On the one hand, it's not a very strong card to have two of, but it strongly benefits a deceptive player, who can then leverage a successful callout to claim (or bluff) that yeah that card was ACTUALLY an Intellectual.

The Missionary is an even more ridiculous version of this. It doesn't work against Coups, but for any other thing that could cause you to lose a life, you can claim it to draw a card.

Mindgames, son.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#16 - Clue / Cluedo
JBear in the tabletop thread with the camera.

# of players: 3 - 6

Someone has killed Mr. Boddy! But which of his posh house guests is the culprit? And where did they do it, and with what?

In the classic detective game of Clue (or Cluedo for the Brits in the room), players are tasked with answering these 3 simple questions, and the first player to do so successfully is the winner. One each of a weapon card, location card, and character card and secretly placed in an adorable tiny manila envelope at the start of the game, and the rest of the cards are randomly dealt to the players. Everyone must slowly narrow down the suspect list by tossing out suggestions, forcing the other players to show them cards that disprove those suggestions and gaining information to help them narrow down the contents of the envelope. Once they are confident that they have the answer, they can formally make an accusation and inspect the envelope, winning the game if they are correct, but dropping out if they're mistaken. Be careful not to make a suggestion that you think is the actual precise contents of the envelope, though, as the next player to act will be making the accusation in your stead if you make a suggestion that no one provides any counter-evidence to!

Clue is a fun game for kids, what with all of the fun cards and tokens and the whole "Go Fish" mechanic of asking to see other players' cards, but, to the game's credit, it has some merit for adult players as well! Whereas kids will just use the provided grid to eliminate cards that they've been shown until they've exhaustively narrowed down the possibility space, smarter/older players will take much more complex notes about who doesn't have what cards (for instance, if another player makes an accusation and the player to their immediate left shows them nothing, then you know that that player has none of those 3 cards) and who showed cards to who else under what circumstances, and use that information to make deductions about cards that they haven't seen personally. You can even use that information to help make informed decisions about what cards other players have seen, to help guide your choice when you're forced to reveal a card to someone but have more than one possible choice! The last time that I played Clue, I had 3 different custom sheets that I'd drawn up to track information, IIRC. Suffice it to say, if you haven't played Clue since you were a kid, the game might have a bit more to it than you remember!

That being said, all of this entertaining deduction and reasoning is married to an unfortunately awkward/tedious roll and move mechanic that doesn't really add anything to the game. Kids like rolling dice, but adults would probably do well to house-rule them out entirely (I haven't looked, but I'm confident that there are recommended variants to fix this available online). Compounding the problem, suggestions that involve the token you're playing as physically move you to the suggested room, meaning that players will sometimes be yanked all over the board, and then need to roll their dice to slowly move back to where they'd like to be. There are also dumb little pewter/plastic weapons that don't really add anything mechanically either, but those I love dearly, as they are adorable, so they can stay.

A big part of the timeless appeal of Clue is the setting, what with the posh party and classy mansion with cool guests and weapons. I know that I loved the universe of Clue as a kid, and voraciously consumed Clue-related properties. The SNES game was super cool, with unique mechanics and great music (I highly recommend it as background listening for this entry!). In fact, my ex-wife and I spent a week playing it a few years ago and had a bunch of fun drawing up grids/sheets for it; it presents different kinds of information than the board game (for example, it might tell you "Miss Scarlet had the Revolver"). There was also a series of Clue mystery books that I loved dearly. They were sort of like Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, and presented the classic clue detective grid at the end of each mystery to help you read back through and eliminate suspects to solve the case. Also, they gave all of the characters weird personalities and were very funny (to young JBear, anyway). I meant to take a picture of my collection (you better believe that I owned them all), but I forgot (even though they've been sitting on my coffee table for weeks to remind me >_<), so you'll have to settle for these covers that I found online:

Tell me that those don't look super cool.

Unfortunately, despite my fascination with the property, I never knew that there was a Clue movie until much later in life! It's a shame, because I have friends who have loved it since they were kids, and I'm sure that I would have as well. I saw it for the first time last year and loved it, though! No, what I had instead was the Clue VCR board game. I didn't have anyone to play it with, but I just re-watched the VHS that came with it over and over and over. In fact, when I heard people say that there was a funny Clue movie, this is what I thought that they were talking about for years!

OH SHIT, it's on Youtube! Well, there goes my afternoon! I'll see you all later!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 AM
#deadfish2017

Oh shit I had one of those books. Wow. I had totally forgotten.

Sheesh.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM
-ryn

So we had clue, but as the oldest kid, the deductive reasoning was just beyond my younger siblings and by the time they were old enough, I was no longer interested. I loved the board though. Jbear is right, the roll and move is tedious because the squares are too small.

I also had the books and I really enjoyed them as a kid.

I had clue on my list, but at the bottom.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM
King Of Space-Time

How weird is it that the best game to film adaptation is Clue?

I always wanted to try the D&D variation.

Quote:
It's a dark night, when the group assembled at the Archmage's castle. What started as a wonderful dinner party has turned into a ghastly scene. The Archmage has been murdered (by a doppelganger, no less). The doppelganger hides amongst the group hoping to escape, but it didn't count on two things. First, the castle is magically sealed until the murderer is caught. And second: you're on the case! So it goes, with Dungeons & Dragons Clue.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Video Monster

I had some good fun with Clue back in the day. Still own a copy in one of those nice wooden book-boxes that Hasbro put out a number of years ago (alongside Scrabble and Stratego).

There's an interesting permutation of Clue known as the Great Museum Caper, released in the early 90s.

I haven't played this game, but it seems to still be pretty popular in the hobby game circuit, and is an early example of the "hidden movement" mechanic where several players are cooperating to locate one player who moves around the board invisibly. Other games (which might also be on this list) such as Scotland Yard, Letters From Whitechapel, and Fury of Dracula use similar mechanics.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Holy Swine

Having bought Harry Potter Clue recently on the offhand recommendation of someone in this thread, and played it last weekend, I can confirm that it's actually fun! It's interesting how deep it is to make inferences from the information you're given, and make the right suggestions so that you get the information you need. The Harry Potter version adds what's essentially a clock to the game, which helps add some urgency to the whole ordeal. Sometimes you're not sure whodunnit but you just have to take a stab at it before your chance dwindles away!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:

Huh. Anyone else reminded of Monaco?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
There's an interesting permutation of Clue known as the Great Museum Caper, released in the early 90s.
For the record, this game did receive a vote, and I did not include it with the Clue votes, as the two games have very little in common outside the name. It is very much its own thing.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Huh. Anyone else reminded of Monaco?
No, but if you're looking for a board game implementation of Monaco, I've got your back, fam.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Indelible Inkling

I voted for Museum Caper, which is its own game and also very good. We played it a lot as a family when I was a kid and I'd partially credit it with my interest in board games as an adult.

It gives you plenty of freedom to mess with people and make mistakes, while remaining easy to pick up and learn. My girlfriend also had it as a kid and I'd also credit it with her tolerance of my board game collection.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Sudden chomper

You guys are making we want to buy a copy of Coup. And Race for the Galaxy. And Galaxy Trucker. And...
Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 AM
For blood and gold

Yeah, I would totally play house-ruled clue without all the damn rolling and moving. Hidden movement games capture some of the deduction of Clue, but I'm curious if any more modern board games feel like "fixed" descendants of Clue.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Yeah, I would totally play house-ruled clue without all the damn rolling and moving. Hidden movement games capture some of the deduction of Clue, but I'm curious if any more modern board games feel like "fixed" descendants of Clue.
Yup! I haven't played it myself, but a friend of mine has it and has given me the elevator pitch, and what you're looking for is Mystery of the Abbey. Also, to a lesser extent, maybe Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective? I haven't played that one either, but I hear it's an amazing game for couples.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:35 AM
hidden in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
You guys are making we want to buy a copy of Coup. And Race for the Galaxy. And Galaxy Trucker. And...
I had Race for a few years, was part of my first board game order back when the 3rd edition of Space Hulk came out. I wanted to like it, even played the computer version a ton, but it never actually clicked, so I sold it. Maybe now that I've got almost 10 years of board game experience in me it'll work. Silly iconography.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM
TARANTUL

From what I've seen of it (haven't had a chance to play it), thematically Consulting Detective is pretty close but mechanically it's pretty divergent. It's a lot more deduction based, being oriented around picking up on clues from in the investigator's book (while Clue is a lot more about working out probability space).
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM
disguised king of surfing

I played Clue not too long ago with family through Tabletop Simulator, and it was good times all around. I had a notepad up keeping track of all the different suggestions, who made them, and who rejected them. I almost won, too. But I missed one little detail in my notes, and my sister managed to win before I got another turn. Oh well.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Not a Beer

You know, I don't think I've ever actually played Clue, despite absorbing most things about it through cultural osmosis. Also, the opening photo for this post is practically one of the sample scenes we staged for the crime scene scanning product I worked on at my old company, right down to the candlestick and bottle of mustard, because several of the older guys at the company were long-time Clue fans.

Quote:
I haven't played this game, but it seems to still be pretty popular in the hobby game circuit, and is an early example of the "hidden movement" mechanic where several players are cooperating to locate one player who moves around the board invisibly. Other games (which might also be on this list) such as Scotland Yard, Letters From Whitechapel, and Fury of Dracula use similar mechanics.
Mentioning "hidden movement" reminds me of the licensed Lupin III board game I impulse-bought several years ago. It uses hidden movement in concert with several other mechanics, and I've never actually managed to get people together to commit to figuring out how it all works.

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!