The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

I imagine that somewhere there's a literal marketing robot that every week just picks random words from a "theme" bag and sends the result to a robot in factory....
Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Video Monster

You just described Funko corporate headquarters.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#27 - Scattergories
Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

# of players: 2 - 6

It's Scattergories! The game of scattered categories. Get it? Yeah, you get it. I am genetically incapable of pronouncing the name correctly, though, so it will forever be "Scattegories" to me.

Scattergories is a fun, simple party game where all players collectively choose a fixed set of categories from a set of pre-printed cards and then are tasked with thinking up words to fit those categories that start with a specific letter. A letter is chosen by rolling a 20-sided die (the excluded letters are pretty much the ones you'd expect: Q, U, V, X, Y, & Z), and then an electronic timer ticks down for a mutually agreed 1-3 minutes in which everyone tries to come up with their best answer for each category. After the allotted time, everyone compares their answers, and, after eliminating any duplicate answers, all remaining answers are awarded a point. That same category card is used for 3 total rounds, with a different letter chosen for each round, and the person with the most points after those 3 rounds is the winner.

Personally, my favourite part of Scattergories is when the timer starts ticking faster to indicate that there are only 10 seconds left for everyone to finalize their answers and the whole room groans.

Oh, by the way, did you all know that there was a Scattergories game show in the 90s, hosted by Dick Clark? Me neither, but I do now!

One of the first things that I noticed about that game show, after how very 90s it is, is that it needed a panel of judges. Would that the real game had such a thing, as Scattergories and I have a... rocky history. I own it, I like it, and I've had fun playing it, but, well... you know how every time that we do a new top 50 list here, people start arguing about what counts as X and what doesn't and I break out in hives? This is that, the game! >_< The problem isn't clever answers, which are great (ex: Things that fly: Time), but lazy answers, where people try to shove in stuff sideways for points (ex: Things that swim: Texans). I kind of look at it as a random argument generator these days, so I more or less dread playing it.

That being said, there are some house rule band-aids that can help! Certainly, at a minimum, I heartily recommend the rule where any given contested answer is just put to a vote and then is either accepted or not based upon the majority ruling. That won't stop the arguments entirely, but it can help end them quickly before they get heated!

So, any other good Scattergorization arguments that people would care to share? Or am I the only one who's been subjected to hilarious pitches about how the Amish, being human, are technically capable of bouncing?

(A joke is supposed to be funnier in proportion to how few people get it, right? If so, then trust me when I say that today's photo is hilarious, as it's mostly just for Johnny and me. Still, for anyone who wants to educate themselves, I have some recommended reading.)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:26 AM
me want the puyopuyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
The Yahtzee registered trademark can be applied to so many things. What could be more 2004 than Yahtzee Texas Hold'em?

This is at least interesting inasmuch as it seems like it's a significant rules change to the game.

That rules change seems to me to be wholly confusing given that yahtzee is not a betting game
Old 05-04-2017, 10:28 AM
is Earnest

Nice, we played tons of Scattergories when I was a kid.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Sudden chomper

I once had a table full of people who refused to believe that Redd Foxx was a real person. Aside from that, this is a pretty fun game.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I once had a table full of people who refused to believe that Redd Foxx was a real person. Aside from that, this is a pretty fun game.
That's probably less of a concern in the smartphone age, at least.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:42 PM
:O

Things that swim: Texans
This is genius though
Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Yes, let's feast!

#notalltexans
Old 05-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Safe Space

I can honestly say I've never played this game.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:10 PM
For blood and gold

I used to play Scattergories all the time.

For whatever reason, it really fell out of favor as a party game in groups I was a part of.

One of the best parts of Scattergories is getting shot down for ridiculous attempts at answers.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:54 PM

I've definitely heard of Scattergories.

I've also heard of Scatgories, but don't google that one.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 PM
Not a Beer

I think I played this game once with my in-laws, until my wife's mom got annoyed at us winning too much.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Outer Spacean

Scattergories! I haven't thought of this game since I was a teenager. I think I enjoyed it? I don't remember. XD

Yahtzee is fine in small doses.

And that's what I can add to the conversation today!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 PM
ah’m skunk rogue

Downloaded several Yahtzee apps to see what it's like. (Not sure I've ever played) Tried out the sole Yahtzee app, which is spelled Yahtzee as opposed to Yatzy. So... now I know it works. Fine in small doses indeed!

You have to play against another person in this app, so after I played my tutorial game I matched with a rando. I was ahead after some rounds and I think my opponent rage quit? Or maybe they just got bored. I bear them no ill will; I didn't want to complete the game because I already found it both boring and stressful.

My favorite thing about Yahtzee is the goofy-ass licensed Yahtzee cups. (?) Thanks, brands! My truest friends.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

The word Yahtzee will be forever tainted by one Ben Croshaw (whose reviews I still watch even though he is horrible help I have a problem).
Old 05-04-2017, 09:44 PM
King Of Space-Time

Scattergories is a Thing I Have Seen on store shelves.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Bertolli?!?...

#26 - Pictionary
"It's a door! Use it!" "That's a door?"

# of players: 3+

Pictionary is charades with pictures. That sounds dismissive, but I love charades, and I love Pictionary! The photo for this one really captures the core of the Pictionary experience, in my opinion. You have drawn a shitty, awful thing, and yet your teammates are all the dumbest people imaginable for not getting it. I mean, it's obvious; how can they be so stupid? There's just something about the absurdity of the whole thing that makes me laugh every time!

Or maybe you've drawn a shitty, awful thing, and you know that no one on earth could possibly get it, and then your teammate yells out the exact word immediately and you start to question if you have psychic powers. I still swear that this one guy I played Pictionary with in high school was my long lost soul brother. It was downright eerie.

Pictionary codifies the whole experience a little more explicitly than "charades with pictures" implies, but honestly, it's all just window dressing. Drawing pretty category cards out of a box and rolling dice to move around a board is all extraneous to the core appeal of yelling out guesses at bad pictures. It's all pretty ignorable, and the game still works just fine without it if you don't want to pay for a retail box.

One potential problem with the game is that the aforementioned core appeal kind of falls apart when someone in the room is actually good at drawing. Having them agree to use the Difficult category so that they're stuck drawing abstract concepts can help with that, to a degree, but in my experience the fun of the game comes from making everyone participate in something that they are bad at and sharing a laugh over their collective ineptitude. I bet it would also be a different kind of fun if everyone in the room was a skilled artist, though!

However, that person is not me. >_< I still remember the time that my word was "Europe" and I drew two arcs on each side of the page, meant to represent the coasts of North America and Europe. They weren't even contoured. I circled a spot 3/4 of the way up the left arc, and then drew an arcing arrow over to the other half and sat back, looking smug. But no one got it! I spent the rest of the time until the sand timer ran out poking my pencil at where the arrow was pointing over and over until it looked like I was drawing cornstarch. I just started gesticulating with greater and greater impatience and urgency. After the game was done: "[JBear], why didn't you at least draw an island to depict England?" Answer:

Do any of you folks have your own stories of terrible drawings that you'd like to share? It's worth noting that there are plenty of other more modern drawing games that do some fun and novel things. I encourage everyone to discuss their favourites!
Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 AM
King Of Space-Time

Pictionary is a Thing I Have Seen on store shelves.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Out Of Warranty

I'm very good at Pictionary! It's the rest of the people who don't understand my genius drawings who suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
That's obviously a cat!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:02 AM
is Earnest

It's dignity! Gah! Don't you even know dignity when you see it?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Bob

Picitonary is cool, but (potential future spoiler, not sure) Telestrations just does it so much better.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Picitonary is cool, but (potential future spoiler, not sure) Telestrations just does it so much better.
Yeah this was on my list as well. I've played this game dozens, maybe hundreds of times, and each and every time has resulted in some of the deepest, most satisfying laughter I've ever known. I guess I'll wait to discuss it further if/when we get there.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:48 AM
is Earnest

Every summer when I was a kid my family would go up to a cabin in Wisconsin that didn't have a TV. We ended up playing a lot of Scattergories and Pictionary. I'm sure there are other games out there that do the same thing better, but I don't associate them with intense nostalgia.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I recently played Fake Artist Goes to New York for the first time, which is basically Spyfall but drawing, and it's perfect if you want the experience of "what is that thing" but on a broader scale (plus, you can do it without going out and buying a game).

How to play Fake Artist, thanks for asking

The premise of the game is that among the players is a Fake Artist who doesn't know what he's drawing. The Fake Artist must blend in, or failing at that, divine the subject of the drawing by the end of the game.

One player is chosen randomly to be the Master. The Master chooses a category ("things at a beach") and a subject ("shark"). He tells everyone the category, then gets N pieces of paper and writes the item on N-1 of them. The players each take a paper, and the Master notes who gets the blank piece -- that player is the Fake Artist. The Master chooses a player to start drawing.

On a player's turn, that player draws something on the "canvas" paper, consisting of a single stroke (i.e. it can be complex, but the crayon/pen/whatever shouldn't leave the page). The player wants to signal knowledge of the subject without giving away what it is.

The game ends when all players (except the Master, who does not draw) have taken two turns. At that point, the players vote on who they think is the Fake Artist. If the Fake Artist is guessed correctly, he gets one chance to guess the subject of the painting. If he guesses correctly or is not caught, the Fake Artist and Master win; otherwise, the other Artists win. The Fake Artist becomes the Master for the next round. (As with Spyfall and the game Umby mentioned, there are probably actual rules for scoring but who cares.)

The advantages of Fake Artist compared to similar games:
  • Almost everyone is drawing, and the Master is still greatly amused by what everyone else is drawing
  • Being an actual good artist might actually be a disadvantage
  • Social deduction and bluffing
  • All you really need is paper plus a different-colored writing tool per player (it's important to track who's drawn what)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Even though that's less stressful than Spyfall on paper (), I think I'd find it way more stressful in practice. Not sure why. It's a really neat idea, though!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Poking at on spot on the drawing until your pencil goes through the paper is the core appeal of Pictionary to me in that it's a good reminder that we're all still dumb apes.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:05 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Agree with this. (I don't think you need to spoil the name of another game, just don't go into details about it until it comes up).

Still charades and charades with pictures are good. This is why Cranium was right up my alley during its period of popularity. Those, sculpting, plus trivia and spelling all in one game? It was basically made for me.

Last edited by Red Hedgehog; 05-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Video Monster

Fake Artist is a favorite game of Bride of Dracula, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I think I'd like it a lot.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Fake Artist sounds amazing

Tags
bertolli , classy jbear pics , falselogic ruins #1 , game pieces don't talk , olive oil , tabletop games , top 50 , top 50 countdown , wake up meeple!