The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Default It's a Comic "Strip"... get it? The DCTV thread

Okay, I'm tired of us having like ten different threads to cover the Berlantiverse / Gotham / Lucifer / hell even iZombie and now that they're all off the main page it's as good a time as any to consolidate.

So three of the shows got new trailers at SDCC.

Flash:

Doctor Freaking Alchemy!* Please let this be more of a Rogues-focused season....

Arrow looks like it's mining the DC 80s vigilante boom, which... sure, prevents them from fucking up another major baddie.

And here's the interesting one. LoT ended on a surprisingly high note last year, got rid of the worst parts of the cast, and the storyline at least looks a bit more... what's the words... not stupid. I don't know if the confirmed new addition to the team is going to be as good as the original, but I'll reserve judgment.

In a COMPLETELY unrelated note....

Nothing from Supergirl yet, interestingly enough.

And Vampire Diaries is officially canceled now, so that Friday 8 PM slot will be open starting next year. Let the Constantine / Batwoman / Mogo speculation commence.

* - The duality of that villain is one of my favourite goofball Silver Age concepts.

Last edited by Sven; 09-27-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Wouldn't Fox have the rights to the entire Bat-family plus the interesting bits of the related rogue's gallery (i.e., 90% of them)?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:13 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Wouldn't Fox have the rights to the entire Bat-family plus the interesting bits of the related rogue's gallery (i.e., 90% of them)?
There's apparently some complicated horse-trading going on behind the scenes, since the rights are kind of like Watchmen: if WB stops selling Batman 66 DVDs and merch, the rights revert back to them since Fox only got the Batman TV rights package in the first place as part of the deal to free up the Batman 66 merchandising rights.

I have no idea if they'd ever want to turn off that particular cash spigot, but given that Gotham is the only stable drama Fox has outside of Empire, WB has some leverage if they want to take advantage and use a character that Fox doesn't seem to want to at this point in time.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Find Your Reason

Looking forward to the LoLs LoTs taking Barry to task for altering the timeline.

Oh, wait, they're not gonna do that because the shows have since parted ways with each other? Shame.

Last edited by Zef; 07-25-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:22 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think they're just kinda partitioning off Barry from them until the 4-parter. But that's as good a reason for the shit to hit the fan, shared-universe-wise, as any.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Find Your Reason

I'm just annoyed that we're getting two retcon-oriented seasons back to back. Flash 3 is already retconning everything up to this point, and Flash 4, if there is one, will retcon whatever happens in 3, so why watch 3 in the first place?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Flashpoint isn't gonna last more than a couple episodes. Barry's already hugging his parents goodbye in the trailer.

It may not even last THAT long - they said that Felicity's doing a guest shot a couple episodes in to give Barry a stern talking-to / have rebound sex.

Gotta get things lined up in time for late November, at any rate.

(Also, I do worry about which section of the fanbase they listen to, since like the first three questions at the panel were about other speedsters like Bart. NO MORE! WE HIT SATURATION!)
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I for one, am almost sickeningly excited to see how the fuck they get past Ollie Back on the island so they can take him off the island like they did at the very beginning of season 1 5 years ago.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:43 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'm more excited that The Wig is apparently making its long-anticipated return.

Plus, lots of terrible Russian accents! The Flashbacks might actually be fun (j/k, that'll never be the case).

Arrow sounds like it's gonna be a treasure trove of bad 80s DC post-Punisher vigilantes this year, which at least is an interesting period to mine.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 AM
This Guy

Are we getting the KGBeast? Please tell me we are getting the KGBeast.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Are we getting the NKVDemon? Please tell me we are getting the NKVDemon.
Fixed that.

Hm. I think the Beast is *probably* locked up with the Gotham crew of characters, but then again Ra's wasn't....
Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Praise the Baby Jebus, our international nightmare is finally over. From Flash's latest casting pull:

Male, 30s, open ethnicity. A master thief with supermodel looks and an ego the size of the Grand Canyon. Scudder is one of the most charming criminals you’ll ever meet. The only thing he loves more than money is himself. After his sudden, mysterious disappearance three years ago, Scudder has returned to Central City seeking fortune and revenge. Open to offer only / cameo ideas as well. RECURRING GUEST STAR.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Last night I had a collection of Fevered Dreams, at least one of which was about the guy from daredevil showing up in Supergirl.

The fuck is wrong with my brain.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 AM
It's all good, man

Look, I don't get it. Okay?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM

Cant say I blame you.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Mystery Contraption

Nearly done the first season of Supergirl which easily my second-Favorite of the current crop of DC love action shows (pending putting more attention into Legends of Tomorrow).

I love that the secret reveal for one of the seasons main villains isn't Brainiac, but it IS Brainiac-8.

The shows kind of iffy about what kind of Superman stuff has happened off camera, but it's implied that this is the first time Brainiac showed up on Earth in any form, and it's the one that's Lex Luthors infant daughter, turned into an adult cyborg by a time-travelling giant robot
Old 09-10-2016, 06:56 PM
This Guy

I started rewatching Supergirl on Netflix. I had remembered how clunky the show could be, but I kind of forgot just how great Melissa Benoist is. Having a star that is that charming can paper over a lot of messy dialogue and haphazard characterization.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Its mostly her, but the shows entire main cast is so gosh darn likeable that it's easy to overlook the shows problems.

I even found myself enjoying an episode focused on Red Tornado, fer cryin' out loud!
Old 09-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Except for Lucy Lane. I don't care how nice the actress is, Lucy Lane is the Worst.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Except for Lucy Lane. I don't care how nice the actress is, Lucy Lane is the Worst.
Yeah, that was throwing me off even more than me liking the Red Tornado episode.

I was also disappointed that the red kryptonite episode almost, but didn't quite have this;

So close
Old 09-12-2016, 10:05 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I was also disappointed that the red kryptonite episode almost, but didn't quite have this;
With that said, aside from the obviously too-good-to-even-be-part-of-the-show Flash crossover, that was the best episode of the season. Too bad the show stooped into its usual stupidity for the final stretch, with the Superman's boots hilarity overshadowing the final two-parter.

(I kinda think they're gonna kill off Superman, or at least write him off somehow. There has to be a reason why this is the one show without a trailer yet; shit, Flash is far enough along that they're actually posting the full previews for the opener.)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Mystery Contraption

The finale had a fight between Supergirl and someone wearing the Kryptonite Power Suit. And almost had Final Crisis popping up
Old 09-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Mystery Contraption

Only a few episodes into Legends of Tomorrow and it seems kind of... Really dumb so far?

Like the very first episode firmly establishes that Vandal Savage is nearly impossible to injure, let alone kill, and there's only one actual method to make sure he dies, and they have access to that one particular way and everyone just keeps forgetting about it and tries shooting him or whatever. Like they're hoping that maybe this time it will work.

Also, time-travel rules meaning you don't get unlimited chances to try again when you screw up I get, sure, maintains some narrative tension that way... But they have lots of photos of Vandal from throughout history, and nobody seems to even ask why they don't go back to where they know he's going to show up and stop him there.

Also, yet to have had any good excuse for the Rogues to be there at all...
Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Probably better if you skip right to the last two episodes. You're not going to miss much, but those were fun. They very obviously had no fucking idea what they were doing with the Vandal Savage story.

The fact that this is the longest Supergirl trailer to date still has me convinced they're getting rid of Superman somehow.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:07 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I'm sure Snyder looks at something like this and is baffled.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yes, that is exactly what I want!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I pity anyone who flies shuttles in the DC Universe. They have a roughly 98% catastrophic failure rate.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:43 PM
It's all good, man

I still don't get it
Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

On, and in more news that'll please Octo (and every other sane person)

Earth 2. Gorilla City. 2-Parter. February sweeps.

(That last bit is me reading into it, but Flash always runs a two-part episode in February sweeps - that's where the Firestorm and Earth 2 stories landed.)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post

I'm sure Snyder looks at something like this and is baffled.
"What the hell kind of face is Superman making?! He got the scowl right, but it's the wrong way up!"

"And why are they both h... h... h-happ-- happy to fly around and expose themselves to the world? Don't they know how much people resent them for being gods?"

"And will someone tell me what's that bright thing in the sky casting golden colors everywhere? It's burning into my eyes!"

Tags
bad thread titles , don’t worry sven i get it , i don't get it , nobody gets it