The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Find Your Reason

I really, REALLY wanted them to have a father-daughter dynamic instead. Didn't really like the new development.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Highway To HFIL

I don't really see the problem. Is there a problem?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Remembers Love

I'm fine with Jack not being merely a sexless wanderer/mentor/Christ figure. The romantic arc isn't original in the slightest, but the absence of one isn't really either.

That trope is accurate enough, though the provision about the male character being naive as well is interesting, since I'd figure what would make that dynamic potentially scuzzy would be an extreme experience gradient.

Maybe framing is the issue. Do people look at Jack as an aspirational figure or audience surrogate, like how a lot of modern action movie dads are written? Does Jack getting with Ashii primarily represent wish-fulfillment on either the part of the writer or the audience?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Madman

Yeah, the newest episode was definitely the weakest of the season for me as well. I didn't so much mind that Jack and Ashi got together, so much as it felt almost... forced, I guess? I definitely hadn't imagined this was the direction they'd be going from the previous episodes, and although I know they don't have a lot of episodes to work with, I wish there had been a bit more build-up beforehand as opposed to cramming it all into one episode. Eh, one low point in an otherwise fantastic revival.

Speaking of which, I'm very excited for the next episode. I was wondering if we were going to be seeing the Guardian again. Hope he and his time portal are still in one piece.

Last edited by Din; 05-08-2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags, gah!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:06 AM
King Of Space-Time

Well for what it's worth, I liked her stance of, " yes I'm naked, big whoop. Kill monster now?"
Old 05-09-2017, 08:41 AM
is Earnest

After reading the posts in here (skipping the spoilers), I was dreading the terrible thing they did in episode 8. And it was... shipping. I don't mean to be dismissive, because I agree that they could have done better, but I was expecting something way more extreme. It has a bunch of archaic cliches, but I thought it was a pretty fun and charming episode.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Highway To HFIL

I am of the opinion that identifying a trope does not, in fact, qualify as a reasonable criticism.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I am of the opinion that identifying a trope does not, in fact, qualify as a reasonable criticism.
It's just disappointing. She's such a damn cool character with a fascinating backstory, downgrading her to love interest is so boring. I'd like to know more about her but now she's unlikely to see more character development. Does that make sense?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 AM
oh my car

I think that's making some pretty cynical assumptions about what's gonna happen next.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:49 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
It's just disappointing. She's such a damn cool character with a fascinating backstory, downgrading her to love interest is so boring. I'd like to know more about her but now she's unlikely to see more character development. Does that make sense?
That makes sense to me. I didn't dislike it as much as some people here, but I think it's totally reasonable to hold stories to a higher standard
Old 05-10-2017, 05:44 PM
poisonous thread snake

I thought the newest ep was the weakest one yet by a significant margin, but I think the Ashii romance is OK, like, morally or whatever.

People in Jack-world don't need to be shown how to live or why- the desire for freedom and peace is something everyone shares, barring of course the villains. Ashii, as we are shown with the whole butterfly thing, already had the juice- Jack just showed her it was OK to drink it, y'know?

All that said I disagree with the assertion that Ashii is really even that interesting of a character- she has about as many dimensions as any of Samurai Jack's tertiary cast. The only fully-developed character in the show has always been Aku- Jack is just a boring ideal who kills bad people (well, robots). Everyone else has always been the epitome of one-note. I think to expect more from Ashii is to willfully read too deeply into something that isn't there, just for the sake of it.

I agree that the romance was corny and not handled in an interesting or original way, but if you didn't see exactly this coming a mile away, that's really on you.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:49 PM
Family Man

I did not see that coming. How many times will Jack fall for someone who turns out to Aku or Aku adjacent? It keeps happening! Anyway, I am pumped for the finale.

R.I.P. Scaramouche and The Gaurdian.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There is one episode left, and I totally expect it to be about Jack Being granted an elaborate, public execution by Aku that is suddenly interrupted by the GHOST SCOTTSMAN and his 50 daughters prompting Jack and Ashi to be suddenly filled with hope and camaraderie and all that good stuff and then everybody Kicks Aku's ass.

And when I say everybody I mean EVERYBODY. I want the woolies and the guys from that time they were Frank Miller's the 300 Spartans, and the rave kid who grew up to be DJ RESISTANCE the blue monster kids, the kids of the guy who made Jack new shoes that one time the kids from the haunted house the Warrior Princess who was all dressed up like Samus Aran who got like Six Bounty hunters to try and kill jack but they all got their asses kicked, the lion Ninja dudes with the bows and arrows that shot snakes, FUCKING EVERYBODY.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:31 PM
Serial Thread Killer

I don't know how they're going to end the series, but I really hope they extend the episode length and don't try to wrap it all up in 20 minutes. There's so many cool things that should happen, and I want them all to happen.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Safe Space

Yeah, the last episode ought to be a three-parter. The first episode was, after all.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Hmm, I really didn't expect the Guardian to be dead. That really makes me think that Jack is not going back, he's just going to beat Aku and stay in the future and rebuild.

Also why did it take you until Monday evening to put up the episode, Amazon?! The last one was up at 1am on Sunday!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 AM
It's all good, man

Adult Swim's website didn't have it until Tuesday.

I'm not aware of any indication that the final episode will be longer.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 AM
ancient ceramic artifact

scaramouche best character ever.... I don't know they will wrap up everything in one episode
Old 05-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
There is one episode left, and I totally expect it to be about Jack Being granted an elaborate, public execution by Aku that is suddenly interrupted by the GHOST SCOTTSMAN and his 50 daughters prompting Jack and Ashi to be suddenly filled with hope and camaraderie and all that good stuff and then everybody Kicks Aku's ass.

And when I say everybody I mean EVERYBODY. I want the woolies and the guys from that time they were Frank Miller's the 300 Spartans, and the rave kid who grew up to be DJ RESISTANCE the blue monster kids, the kids of the guy who made Jack new shoes that one time the kids from the haunted house the Warrior Princess who was all dressed up like Samus Aran who got like Six Bounty hunters to try and kill jack but they all got their asses kicked, the lion Ninja dudes with the bows and arrows that shot snakes, FUCKING EVERYBODY.
All that happened. It was cool.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Oh man. That was amazing. So sad but amazing.

And I love that Ashii was the one who solved the problem. It wasn't even clear if Jack realized she could make a time portal, she just got shit done.

In the final scenes I was wondering if he was going to turn into that green samurai, to show regret had overtaken him. But no, this ending made everything better.

Edit: Also Aku's "NOT!" in his monologue was perfect and obvious and brilliant and I loved it.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM
oh my car

Ashi was a single person symbolizing everything that was lost by undoing The Future That Is Aku.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Serial Thread Killer

The two of them were raised with a similar charge - to destroy a hated enemy. For many years, that was the singular purpose for both their lives. Ashi disappearing symbolizes everything that Jack gained in the future, all his friendships, accomplishments, and the many many years of his life spent on the quest. Now all undone. But now that she's gone, he too is now cut loose from his purpose, and left to figure out what to make of his life. The ladybug is a great clincher. He'll still carry all their memories on in his heart, and whatever may come next its a future that he can be happy in knowing that a restored Earth wasn't just his victory alone.

This was a good ending. I still wish it was a bit longer but it worked out.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:33 PM
oh my car

Yeah. Extremely good shit.

I think another episode or two to breathe would've helped it. Of all the things I could've imagined going wrong with the finale to Samurai Jack, I wouldn't have believed that being crowded with action would even be even on the list, let alone the only complaint.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Yeah. Extremely good shit.

I think another episode or two to breathe would've helped it. Of all the things I could've imagined going wrong with the finale to Samurai Jack, I wouldn't have believed that being crowded with action would even be even on the list, let alone the only complaint.
I think it's a good sign for a series when one of the main problems is there aren't enough episodes. It's like the reverse of every Marvel Netflix show.

This season was overall wonderful.

I was losing it when the talking dogs and ravers were getting wrecked by Aku.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
All that happened. It was cool.
I GOT EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED!

Well okay almost what I wanted. I didn't see 70 Year old not-Samus Aran in there, but bringing back SAMURAI GIANT ROBO makes up for it 10 times over.

The final gut punch ending was kinda totally unnecessary. Like, the rules of time travel are basically bullshit, there's no reason they couldn't have gone out on EVERYTHING IS RAD FOREVER, but the final shot almost makes me forgive it. Almost.

This show was the motherfucking shit. Wasn't PERFECT, but was still really really great.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Remembers Love

Setting aside some structural issues, the first few episodes were a masterpiece - handily my favorite chunk of television animation ever. Back half fell off just a little bit, but was still absolutely A1.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Setting aside some structural issues, the first few episodes were a masterpiece - handily my favorite chunk of television animation ever. Back half fell off just a little bit, but was still absolutely A1.
This echoes my own feelings. The ending was fine, but the last few episodes didn't quite keep the same level of quality as those that preceded them.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:01 AM
It's all good, man

I agree that the last few episodes weren't as great as the first few, but it was still a solid conclusion to a show I thought would never get one.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:19 AM

It's unfair to ask any show to do something as phenomenal as green mausoleum, more than once.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:21 PM

I suppose what I REALLY would have wanted from the final Episode would be an attempt to save BOTH realities from Aku. Like you've already got him on the rocks in AKU FUTURE, would it have been so hard to land the final blow there, take a moment to catch up with GHOST SCOTTSMAN and then go back to the past and fuck up past Aku?

Like, we've all played Ocarina of time! Alternate Realities can fuck your shit up if you're not careful!

But I guess In Samurai Jack alternate realities just wink out of existence when the timeline is changed. That's not the WORST EVER, and I'll go along with it, but ya know?

But yeah. impossibly good first 3 episodes, still pretty damn good rest of it. We are better for it's existence.

Tags
adult swim , cartoon network , gotta get back , samurai jack