The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Holy shit the Ifrit scene in American Gods. I remembered it from the book, but I didn't expect the show to go there so vividly and in such surreal detail. I found it absolutely amazing and very, very well done, and although I'm not equipped to judge, it was likely far more sensuous than the Bilquis scene in ep 1 --though it was quite a thing to watch it with my conservative-leaning Catholic parents (who, to their credit, watched normally and only asked about the nature of the djinn and ifrits, although the also beautiful Anubis scene and Zorya Polunochnaya scenes probably eased them into it).

I'm pleasantly surprised at the producers' commitment to both accuracy towards the novel, and to challenging viewers' comfort zones. The Bilquis scene was already damn groundbreaking, and the Mr. Nancy opening in ep 2 was powerful and righteously upsetting, so after the Ifrit scene I'm trying hard to remember what other challenges remain in a book I haven't read in ten years. Other than outrageously graphic violence, I mean.
I haven't seen the show, but we're your parents really more taken aback by the Ifrit scene than the Bilquis one? Because, discounting the presence magical fire-ghosts, at least that one is, y'know, feasible.

Incidentally, just started a third re-read of the book but, if memory serves, while Ifrit and Bilquis are the only overtly sexual scenes, There's also another side-story that is a fair bit disquieting involving the slave trade and Laura starts to get a bit... gummy... towards the end.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Find Your Reason

My parents arrived to visit on Saturday, so Episode 3 (Ifrit, bank robbery) was the first one they watched.

Episode 2 opened with the slave ship and Mr. Nancy inciting rebellion, and had a second Bilquis with a new partner --I AM kinda dreading her next appearance, and her meeting with Technical Boy, but since Gaiman himself adapted the narrative for TV, she might take a different path this time.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:34 AM
me want the puyopuyon

so this is like actually free with prime right
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
This is a bit surprising because I thought the movie itself was slowly paced and was afraid of what turning it into a TV show would do.
I've only watched the first episode, but based on that, I'd say your fears are founded. I had no problems with the pacing and editing of the movie, but the first episode just drags until it has poor scene transitions. My wife and my enjoyment of the movie will have us keep trying with it (with a kid, we only have time for one episode per night), but so far I'm disappointed in the transition.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Yup. Prime Video isn't exactly great (I still don't get why I can't skip forward in movies), but it's a pretty fair add on.

Speaking of:

Mozart in the Jungle S2 was pretty great! Good character development, a fun aside with the episodes set in Mexico City, and a decent season-long arc with the strike / lockout storyline. They even found stuff for the hanger-on characters like Schwartzman's podcaster to do and made Hailey's dancer boyfriend kind of interesting for an episode!

I repeat my complaint that McDowell is underused, although it was, as noted, much less of an issue this season.

I've heard very contrasting things about the third season, so let's wait and see.

Red Oaks... ah, this one didn't survive as well into S2. The first season is a great tribute to 80s teen comedies, just with the plotlines given a bit more time to breathe, to the show's advantage. Alexandra Socha plays a pretty great Unapproachable 80s Hot Chick (if that's not a TVTropes entry, it should be). And they did a great job with the supporting cast of parents (Paul Reiser / Richard Kind / Jennifer Grey, and Gina Gershon is kicking around in the background). All well and good.

Then the second season starts... and they kinda screw it all up. The parents (esp. Grey) get more screen time and drag the whole damn thing down, primarily; it seems like they forgot that 80s teen movies generally minimized the parents' roles. I know that Kind and Grey are both great and they play their roles well, but after the focused first season there just was way too much going on that wasn't dealing with the staff or the club members.

I'd say watch the first season and the first couple of episodes of S2 and just sort of leave it there. There's a reason John Hughes movies didn't get sequels.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Not in the US, you also need a starz subscription.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, everywhere but the US it comes out on basic Prime, in the US you need Starz, either on its own or as a Prime add-on. If you have Prime, you can get a free trail but it only lasts a week. So you *could* watch the whole season free legit if you wait until it's done and want to binge, but that's a lot of TV since it's a full season of hour-long episodes. After the trail, Starz via Prime is like $9/mo.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:57 AM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm finally watching Master of None. I only ever watched 2 episodes back when it came out for some reason. Mostly I'm noticing how much it feels like a late-20-something-person's take on [/b]Louie[/b], meaning it's pretty damn good and way more optimistic. There's also a decent amount of overlap between the show and Aziz Ansari's book about relationships and dating. I like his Korean friend who wasn't really in many season 1 episodes...
Old 05-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Tell me about your mother

Just going to post this in general TV blather: Season 13 of Supernatural will feature an animated Scooby Doo crossover episode.

I was kind of "bleh" on the later seasons, but I need this hooked into my veins now.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Nerd View Post
Just going to post this in general TV blather: Season 13 of Supernatural will feature an animated Scooby Doo crossover episode.

I was kind of "bleh" on the later seasons, but I need this hooked into my veins now.
This is the very definition of "playing with house money."
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 AM
ah知 skunk rogue

Master of None, season 2: it's okay. My fav line; not that representative of the show's tone: "I know you did not just bring up "That's So Raven"!" Favorite episode is First Date.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:56 AM
This Guy

I really liked the religion episode. It is perfect in how specific it is and also kind of universal. I thought the show handled the subject perfectly; it seemed to reflect Aziz's experience but also was familiar to me as I hide my own religious leanings from my staunch evangelical parents. Plus, Aziz's dad is still hilarious.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:05 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Continuing the Master of None talk: daaaaamn I just watched The Dinner Party. That ending scene with Dev's cab ride home...I don't think I've ever seen an unbroken cut executed like that before, at least not in a TV show. Fuck it was good.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 PM

Okay, so episode 4 of American Gods in which Not-Dead-Sorta Laura kicks one of the Droogs in the nuts so hard his skull and spinal column rocket out of the top of his head is goddamn hilarious.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:46 PM
ah知 skunk rogue

Just saw a Cigna adlet on twitter with Noah WileyWyle, Derek Shepard, and House Woman. Did not turn on the sound but was like, damn, huh, what?? Is this a show? I would watch it. Just watch the hell out of it. I will watch ANY procedural medical trash for years.

I don't think it is a real show, unfortunately. It was kinda weird. Lisa Edelstein (remember her name now!) was in scrubs, not a look I associate with her House character. (But I'm only kind of familiar with that show) I guess they were just selling health insurance... and inflaming my imagination!!

Grey's Anatomy had its season finale. As far as greytastrophes go, this year's was not the worst, (plane crash!) but it was not particularly engaging. Wrote out two characters, one of whom was inexplicably awful. Here's my hope for next year: LEAH COME BACK! She was the only good Grey's: TNG character and they wrote her back onto the show this year but now she's disappeared. There's room for her; it would be senseless not to make use of it.

Also: I dig every acoustic, gender-flipped cover on this show. When did they start doing that? Grey's has always had good music, but it wasn't always doing this. I'm going to have to rewatch this series and forget what I'm looking for in the process.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 AM
me want the puyopuyon

Holy fuck what, Grey's Anatomy is still airing?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:58 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Grey's Anatomy is literally going to continue to air until Ellen Pompeo gets alzheimer's irl and even then I'm pretty sure they'll just transition to the show being about Zola Grey.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Gesundheit!

I just recently looked up Pompeo because I realized that I couldn't name the star of one of the longest-running shows currently airing. I'm sure GA leaves her with very little time to appear in anything else, though.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:36 AM
ah知 skunk rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I just recently looked up Pompeo because I realized that I couldn't name the star of one of the longest-running shows currently airing. I'm sure GA leaves her with very little time to appear in anything else, though.
I don't think she has an interest in appearing in much else (since 2005, she has done 1 VA gig and appeared in a Taylor Swift music video) and has said she'll retire from acting after the show ends. Fair enough!

There's gonna be a d*ng GA firefighter spin-off? At least the ludicrous body count will make more sense there. I miss Private Practice. (I do not) (I miss KaDee Strickland)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Okay, so episode 4 of American Gods in which Not-Dead-Sorta Laura kicks one of the Droogs in the nuts so hard his skull and spinal column rocket out of the top of his head is goddamn hilarious.
It's always impressive when a show can have a really satisfying episode that ends on the exact same cliffhanger as the previous episode.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
you'd be surprised by how often she's a non-entity on her own show
Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM
ah知 skunk rogue

Pajaro... she's good.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM
ah知 skunk rogue

You don't win multiple people's choice awards unless you're the people's choice.

(I just looked it up and one of those years had The Fosters, Rizzoli & Isles, and Bates Motel in a single category... people's choice!)
Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
"Oh. You knocked my arm off and I didn't even feel it. Maybe you'll feel this?"

I was guffawing like a buffoon during Audrey's scene, though. I can just imagine her state of mind, together with Laura's deadpan responses ("Are you haunting me?" "I don't think so. Not specifically. I wanted craft supplies?")

I liked Mr. Ibis and Mr. Jacquel's scene, too, but felt it flew by too quickly. I understand why --it was her story, not theirs-- so I'm looking forward to Shadow meeting up with them.

At any rate, I love the huge expansion to her character. She doesn't really get much in the book, but this look into her deeply depressed life puts a lot of things into context and will undoubtedly give greater meaning to future events. For me, personally, the montage of her relationship with Shadow was also a painful reflection of past relationships, and I appreciate the show making the situation obvious through direction and acting, without having to point it out explicitly with exposition.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah there was some really good - and painful - character work in there.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:00 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Pajaro... she's good.
she does good work but at the same time there are many episodes where she literally does not have a storyline

(my favorite parts of this clip, in order from least to most: the fact that they ran out of chairs/places at the table even though they're expecting two more guests, karev's delayed head turn, "let's pass those peas")
Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
I remember watching the first season of that show during my final year of university, but then dropped it when it felt like it had jumped the shark in season 2. How in the fuck is that still a thing?
Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM
This Guy

The sea never runs out of sharks to jump.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 AM
It's all good, man

They get about eight million viewers per episode still, so it's not a surprise it's still airing.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:26 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I remember watching the first season of that show during my final year of university, but then dropped it when it felt like it had jumped the shark in season 2. How in the fuck is that still a thing?
Buddy season 2's train crash and bomb scare are positively quaint compared to later seasons. Hell, season 3 had an episode where a ferry crashes and Meredith is dead for like six hours (don't worry, she was just trapped in purgatory where she managed to drag like four other lost souls in with her to give her a pep talk). Seattle Grace-Mercy West-Grey-Sloane Memorial demands blood and souls.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television