The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-15-2017, 02:55 PM
oh my car

Stan Lee is a Beyonder, obviously.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Just bear with me

He's a very special man, you know! Madame Stan Lee's Wife said so in the cartoon!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
That really annoyed me about Man of Steel ("quick Zod, let's have a fight in the IHOP!")
I got to use this synopsis from Honest Trailers.
Quote:
When Lois uses her Nikon camera to photograph this Budweiser-drinking alien, she'll discover the truth from this friend at the IHOP. But when Zod sends her a message on this Nokia phone, it's up to Superman to take him on with this U-Haul truck, through the 7-11, back to the IHOP, and inside this Sears.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM
King Of Space-Time

Anyone else notice the synergy of the Thor:Ragnarok trailer with GotG2's vibe? Also, Goldblum's character shows up during the credit scroll. Methinks there's a scene cut.

In addition, the soundtrack is amazeballs.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 AM
It's all good, man

I fully believe Goldblum just showed up in costume one day while they were filming and they had him shoot that.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:49 AM
oh my car

Jeff Goldblum does not act.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Why the fuck is ABC apparently spending money on Inhumans only to dump it on Fridays? I get SHIELD moving there (gotta fill the schedule somehow), but... slotting a new show into the death zone makes zero sense.

(Unless this is yet another Marvel TV vs Marvel Movie feud thing playing out.)
Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 PM
Mystery Contraption

The one problem I had with the movie which, to be fair, was addressed with the characters entire plot-arc is that while the climax dealt with Pete rejecting his awful, awful biological father and accepting Yondu as the guy who raised him, it kind of glossed over that Yondu was also abusive. Just he wound up feeling bad about it and didn't want to kill everybody.

Now, granted, Yondus entire arc in the movie is that he's realized he's been both a crappy person and terrible father, even if his intentions were good, and is trying to make amends, but he still kidnapped a child, forced him into a life of crime, and threatened to eat him alive. A lot.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM
oh my car

Something, something, acceptance?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Anyone else notice the synergy of the Thor:Ragnarok trailer with GotG2's vibe? Also, Goldblum's character shows up during the credit scroll. Methinks there's a scene cut.
I was totally under the impression that the Grandmaster was going to show up in Guardians 2, not Thor 3—I guess because everyone was likening him to the Collector's appearance in Guardians 1. Then I forgot about him until he popped up in the credits and was briefly confused that he wasn't in the movie I'd just watched.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Something, something, acceptance?
Or at least Stockholm syndrome.

Don't even want to complain since the dude definitely won the Most Improved prize in this movie.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Fifth Business

Regarding Yondu:

Yeah, it is a bit problematic, and even in this movie Yondu is, as has been brought up, KIND of a war criminal, but...he ultimately was there for Peter his whole life, warts and all, and helped shape him into the person he is. Even setting aside the redemptive sacrifice and all that, I feel it draws a pretty good contrast between Yondu being a shitty parent, but at least a parent, one who took risks and made difficulties for himself (eventually even driving his crew to mutiny) in the name of raising Peter and keeping him out of worse danger, and Ego as an absentee non-parent who only ever wants Peter there at his own convenience (and also wants to kill off and remake the universe in his own image, which is where the whole cosmic adventure part comes in, though STILL works symbolically if you want it to)
Old 05-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Little Waves

Remember, when Yondu picked up Peter as a kid, those boys of his wanted to eat him. They ain't never tasted any Terran before.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Find Your Reason

I'm going to assume that, by the time Yondu had his change of heart about Ego's kids, it was far too late to take Peter back home to his grandparents (even though his grandad is still alive 26 years later) and that's why he raised him as his own.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:03 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
Regarding Yondu:

Yeah, it is a bit problematic, and even in this movie Yondu is, as has been brought up, KIND of a war criminal,
but he's an adorable war criminal
Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Yondu's story is also about a person who becomes a parent due to circumstance rather than any kind of choice. Well, there is a choice he made, obviously, but still, you know what I mean. I'm just imagining the real life equivalent where a kid gets raised by a god parent or uncle or something like that, due to unfortunate circumstances surrounding their biological parents. On top of this person being a Ravager already. So it's kind of fated that his upbringing would be, uh, not great.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I'm going to assume that, by the time Yondu had his change of heart about Ego's kids, it was far too late to take Peter back home to his grandparents (even though his grandad is still alive 26 years later) and that's why he raised him as his own.
There's also the fact that Pete straight-up refuses to go back to Earth.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:36 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
There's also the fact that Pete straight-up refuses to go back to Earth.
That's gotta be the next movie, though. Do the GotG version of Star Trek IV.

(I want this solely for a scene of Drax watching wrestling on TV a la Doomsday in Death of Superman and making snarky jokes.)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:26 PM
disguised king of surfing

Default From end to beginning, I guess?

Guardians 2 was a good movie.

I thought the Pac-Man in the fight scene worked well enough; at least, I felt it was less of a non-sequitur than the dance-off with Ronan or whatever his name was at the end of GotG1. Peter did say he wanted to make a big ol' Pac-Man once he got used to being half-Celestial.

Also, maybe I only ended up coming to this comparison because I watched the movie with friends from anime club, but. "You don't have to believe in yourself. I believe in you," from Drax to Mantis: Gurren Lagann or super Gurren Lagann???

Also the rest of y'all covered Yondu's scene with the arrow and killing all the mutineers pretty well, but I think my favorite part of that was Rocket using the monitors to figure out where people were so he could shoot through the walls at them. And Groot, well. He got a kill, at least.

I also liked the beginning where they were protecting the batteries from the space-cthulhu or whatever, where Peter comments on how Gamora's more of a sword person and she says he's an idiot for thinking she'd use a sword against a space-cthulhu...then at the end, kills it by taking her sword right up into the wound that was there and splitting the thing in half.

One thing I remember commenting on to my friend at the very very start of the movie, when Ego was showing off his 'flower': "I don't think flowers are supposed to have blood..." (the other people in the group commented that the real heroes of the film were the people who kept that DQ open for 34 years).
Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
(the other people in the group commented that the real heroes of the film were the people who kept that DQ open for 34 years).
That, and the whole forest remained undisturbed! A DQ like that would've been swallowed by urban sprawl by the end of the decade.

Also from the opening battle scene: the environment they were fighting on was nigh-identical to Final Fantasy X's Dream Zanarkand and I can't see it any other way. Even the platform they stood on was just like the one for the final boss.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Fifth Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
That, and the whole forest remained undisturbed! A DQ like that would've been swallowed by urban sprawl by the end of the decade.

Also from the opening battle scene: the environment they were fighting on was nigh-identical to Final Fantasy X's Dream Zanarkand and I can't see it any other way. Even the platform they stood on was just like the one for the final boss.
....!

That's why it seemed so oddly familiar!
Old 05-17-2017, 09:19 AM
This Guy

At least the movie's Missouri actually looked recognizably like Missouri.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Life depends on change

Finally saw GotG2 last night. I like these two movies, but I immediately forget them as soon as I'm done watching them. Some good gags, though: Quill: "I'm gonna make some weird shit," the scene where he says "Of course I have issues, THAT'S MY DAD" as Kurt Russell liquefies himself into existence, locked in a painful, silent scream while trying to murder son. Drax was pretty great throughout and I really liked Yondu ("Is Mary Poppins cool?" Quill: "Yes, Mary Poppins is cool," Yondu: "I'm Mary Poppins, ya'll!").

Thinking about any of these characters meeting up with the Avengers is weird to me, though. They seem like separate universes, literally. But, then, I'm not a comics person, so what do I know
Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
Thinking about any of these characters meeting up with the Avengers is weird to me, though. They seem like separate universes, literally. But, then, I'm not a comics person, so what do I know
It's weird to me too, but in a very exciting way. Nothing since the first Avengers movie has really recaptured for me the thrill of seeing a bunch of disparate characters come together and bounce off of each other in unexpected ways. I still love these characters and love seeing them interact in Age of Ultron, Civil War, etc., but now I need a bigger hit to get me that same high again.

i'm chasing the white helicarrier, man
Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Life depends on change

I'm sure they'll be able to, but coming up with good dialogue for all these disparate characters seems like an absolute monster of a scripting issue. Pulling that off for a general audience sounds impossible.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:34 AM
whatever it takes

excuse me, this is the thread for true believers only
Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I don't think it's that daunting of a task, honestly. Joss Whedon set up the dialogue template pretty strongly in the Avengers and everything in Guardians is fairly similar to that tone as well. So just in terms of audience expectations, it shouldn't be much of a stretch (I mean, assuming you assume the people watching Avengers 3 have been following these movies).
Old 05-20-2017, 09:32 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I Hate My Space Dad
Don't you mean Deadbeat Space Dad?
Old 05-21-2017, 02:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

There's lots of people hating their space dads, and only one is a deadbeat.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
Way back when in an introduction for a Swamp Thing comic, Alan Moore said that shared superhero continuity is essentially like having a story where Sherlock Holmes saves the Little Women from Frankenstein. Which is the best story never written. I works for me having them all in the same universe.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo