The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM
Outer Spacean

Default WildcatJF's Creativity Thread

It's high time I actually share what I do on my blogs with you all. I run several blogs:

My academic/research oriented blog P4, where I do my major video game essays and am working on my research paper focusing on women's history and preferences in playing games from my alma mater...
My Tumblr-esque blog LVLS, where I post more personal history and articles on games, art and music I dig, and other lighthearted fair...
My book documentation blog The George Macy Imagery, where I post images and history on the publications of the George Macy Company and its descendants...
My art and photography blog Visuals by WildcatJF, where I post my art and photos.

I'll also share my latest fan art I drew yesterday of Jade:

I'll keep this updated with things I'm excited about sharing. Thanks for looking!
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Thank you for sharing!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Outer Spacean

Since I now have a home to share things more directly, I've been working on my Top 111 games for the past couple months. I've got three more to go; any guesses what they might be?

Also, here's a direct link to my research for anyone curious. In the middle of transcribing the remaining interviews before I write up the data portion.

Update - My Top 111 is all done now!

Last edited by WildcatJF; 05-22-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Outer Spacean

Heyo,

Wrote a little personal essay on the Strider franchise today. Pretty pleased with it. I finally finished all of Capcom's games today with the NES one.

I'll have some art tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Outer Spacean

I started this last year, but just finished it up two days ago. I drew her body way too thin, but it was so far along that I decided to just run with it this time. I'll try again in the future.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:03 AM
An Animal of Joy

If you're concerned about proportions I say really go for it and take a figure drawing or anatomy course, or at least check out some books or online tutorials or videos. You wouldn't hesitate to do research for your other areas of interest, the same method works for improving at drawing.

I love how prolific you are, keep at it!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Outer Spacean

Thanks! When I draw I don't typically end up making anyone this thin; I think I was happy with the pose last year and didn't really notice the proportions were not how I wished them to be until I was done with it. XD Next time I'll be using some reference to Elizabeth Olsen in costume to get the details better. But yeah, reference and research helps make anything better.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:47 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
Elizabeth Olsen
I did not realize what character that was supposed to be until just now.

(A colored version probably would have made it more apparent.)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Outer Spacean

Whoops, I forgot to title it here. On my blog it is! XD Yeah, it's Scarlet Witch from the MCU. Sorry!

As for colors, maybe down the road. I'm picking up my drawing/editing skills which are way out of practice, so when I get a sketch done really well I'll probably color it in.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Outer Spacean

I've been slowly but steadily writing thoughts on E3 on my LVLS blog for anyone interested.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Outer Spacean

Had a thought and then spent a fair amount of time working on it perhaps to my detriment tonight since I have to go to bed in like 20 minutes, but I'm plenty happy with the results. The thought was Marina being an Octoling in Splatoon 2 and how Nintendo is making an incidental statement about the state of our world. I am probably reading too much into it but hey, it's fun to engage my anthro brain and thus I ran with the notion.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Safe Space

Good writeup, JF.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Outer Spacean

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Safe Space

You're welcome. I don't actually have a WiiU or Switch, so I don't have any experience with Splatoon outside of what I see on youtube. Regardless, I thought it was thoughtful and insightful.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Outer Spacean

Now that I'm home, I can write a more appreciative response. I'm very happy to hear that, especially since it was a spur of the moment thing to write it. I read that Marina is an Octoling and I realized that hey, this has some real world parallels, doesn't it? I'm doubt if Nintendo's meaning to do this, but Splatoon is a rather fascinating series to study anthropologically, and not just with the characters. I did an earlier essay on the first game that discusses the in-game culture players generated around the Inkopolis setting, among many other subtopics, in case you or anyone else wants to know a little more. Thanks again! I always hope my writing inspires such thoughts in others.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Outer Spacean

Time to provide some updates!

At LVLS, I've started writing up my 25 least favorite games. Also I finally finished an essay I've been tossing around in my head for a long time on Samus Aran.

At my academic blog P4 I have a discussion on Castlevania's Medusa as part of my Famicom Females series.

And I have put up what may be one of my best drawings ever today:
Old 10-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Outer Spacean

Ugh been too long since I posted here. New stuff:

P4:
https://jfieldsted.wordpress.com/201...rder-costumes/ - Discussion on Primm's Tiger Two-Piece DLC outfit in the new Secret of Mana remake
https://jfieldsted.wordpress.com/201...ers-july-1987/ - My continued efforts to chronicle women chronically on the NES/Famicom moved into July 1987. Also of interest: the beginning of my post on games that let players pick their gender on the console.
https://jfieldsted.wordpress.com/201...ii-nesfamicom/ - Localization differences in The Goonies II (NES/Famicom)
https://jfieldsted.wordpress.com/201...games-in-2013/ - A revision of my essay on gender/gaming in 2013

LVLS
https://lvls.wordpress.com/2017/10/1...y-to-visceral/ - Eulogy to Visceral
https://lvls.wordpress.com/top-111-g...ttom-25-games/ - My 25 least favorite games
https://lvls.wordpress.com/2017/10/0...samus-returns/ - Final thoughts on Metroid Samus Returns (spoilers!)

Visuals
http://wp.me/p7P1eR-fL - I don't think I posted this here but it's a link to my visual novel Isolate in progress.

Thanks for looking!

Tags
art thread