The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 03-04-2018, 11:30 AM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I have listened through the Campaign Podcast multiple times.
Campaign is great. I just got to the third arc (there's a BIKE convention going on - Bounty hunters International Killing or Kidnapping Expo). I've only listened to a couple of their One-Shot episodes, but it looks like there's a lot to dig in to there too.

I've re-listened to Drunks & Dragons, which just passed episode 250 recently. It's a perfect show to listen to in the background because it's just a bunch of friends hanging out - without the shittyness that often comes along with that setup. The early episodes are meandering and they used 4th edition, which isn't super audio friendly. If you're interested in jumping in I recommend episode 156, which is the start of a new arc following a 5 year jump, or with the current episodes which are the start of another new arc after a 7 year jump.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I've only listened to a couple of their One-Shot episodes, but it looks like there's a lot to dig in to there too.
I find the One Shot podcast to be a lot more hit and miss due to the nature of having a rotating cast experimenting with different game systems. But there is some really great stuff to be heard if you're willing to skip through the occasional dud. I particularly enjoyed the Rockalypse series where they had special guest Mike Migdall steal the show.

Actually, they realized Mike Migdall is pretty great whenever they get him on mic so when they created a Shadowun podcast they made him part of the main cast. So definitely check out Neo Scum podcast if any of that sounds up your alley. Or if you like the Campaign podcast then I suspect Neo Scum will tickle that same funny bone.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM
anti-piracy measure

Here's a thing where the drummer and a bandleader for some Beefheart's more notable albums -- John "Drumbo" French -- talks about his experience in the band and some of his work afterward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAkSemLGTL8
Old 03-07-2018, 05:27 AM
It's dog eat dog

Listening to Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman's R U Talkin' R.E.M. RE: ME, a sequel series to their U2 podcast. I love when they joke around about the band and their music, but oh my god there is so much aimless, bullshit riffing, well beyond even Flop House levels. I don't know how comedy podcast listeners do it.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:19 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
So for the Android users out there what app are you using to listen to your podcasts?

I've been using Podcast Addict for a few years and generally it's quite good. But it's recently been glitchy with playing some of my downloaded podcasts (as opposed to streaming) so I thought I would look around and see what alternatives there are. The interface for DoggCatcher manages to confound me. AntennaPod still feels like a beta product because I remember encountering a number of glitches.

So what app are you guys using?
I've been using Podkicker for years. It has a free version and paid version for 99 cents (unless the price has gone up since I bought it.) It has all the options I need and works very well. Of course, maybe I've used it so long that how I consume podcasts has been totally informed by it, I dunno.

It honestly feels like a really good tool. You know, like the clock app. Everything you need, nothing you don't, it just works.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I've been toying around with flwgc's recommendation of BeyondPod and it has some of the features I was looking for (namely, the ability to support creating a virtual podcast out of a folder of downloaded mp3s of shows I moved to my phone from a -pc hard drive). But if I need to go looking for an app again I'm glad to know some of the non-terrible options that are out there.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:14 AM
It's dog eat dog

I just listened to a super interesting episode of Slate's Hit Parade podcast. Remember how in the '90s it seemed like almost nothing that was getting airplay was on the charts? That's because the music industry was trying to kill the single to sell albums, a strategy that ultimately backfired when Napster appeared. If No Doubt's "Don't Speak" and the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" had been eligible, they would be among the longest-running No. 1 singles of all time.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I know some people here were looking for in depth musical podcasts at some point in the past?

You might want to try out Heat Rocks.

Their official blurb is a pretty good summary, so I'm just gonna drop that in:

Quote:
Hosted by Oliver Wang and Morgan Rhodes, every episode of Heat Rocks invites a special guest to talk about a heat rock - a hot album, a scorching record. These are in-depth conversations about the albums that shape our lives.

Our guests include musicians, writers, and scholars and though we don't exclusively focus on any one genre, expect to hear about albums from the worlds of soul, hip-hop, funk, jazz, Latin and more.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default skewers!

This his New Yorker article is incredibly spot on
Old 03-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
Remember how in the '90s it seemed like almost nothing that was getting airplay was on the charts?
No. People look at the charts?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:36 PM
anti-piracy measure

I thought the charts died at the end of the 80s with the DX7
Old 03-09-2018, 06:01 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
No. People look at the charts?
Sure — it's a separate sort of nerdery. To me that's like saying "People care about sports stats?" As Billboard has refined its methodology, the Hot 100 has come to reflect more and more what the public is actually listening to, which is sociologically fascinating.

And I think those two songs not being no. 1 hits has dramatically reduced their "aura," so to speak. An artist earning a "no. 1 hit" in a radio public originally raised on Casey Kasem has become like receiving a prestigious award, a badge of success.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

I’m not sure I’ve ever been as surprised or disappointed with a Podcast as I was with the Flophouse episode about GIJoe: Retaliation (the single greatest movie ever made).

I could understand, perhaps, Dan not caring much for it, but I figured Elliot and Stu would have been on the same page as I was with it.

It just throws so much of what I thought I understood about the world into disarray.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:23 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
I just listened to a super interesting episode of Slate's Hit Parade podcast. Remember how in the '90s it seemed like almost nothing that was getting airplay was on the charts? That's because the music industry was trying to kill the single to sell albums, a strategy that ultimately backfired when Napster appeared. If No Doubt's "Don't Speak" and the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" had been eligible, they would be among the longest-running No. 1 singles of all time.
Thanks for this, I find charts really interesting and I've really enjoyed this podcast so far.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Cyber Casual

I ended up throwing money at Friends at the Table. All the Bluff City stuff I've heard so far has been super good.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:51 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Eat for the Planet is a series of interviews with people removing animals from the food supply with a focus on plant-based and lab-grown meats. Interviewees include entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, nonprofits, policy experts and food scientists. The host's style reminds me of Fareed Zakaria: polite and calm but smart and purposeful. The show's tone is optimistic because most of the interviewees sound like they're successfully moving mountains. This podcast is my current favorite.

If you're curious about Citizens Climate Lobby, the environmental/political group I volunteer with, they put out a podcast covering many aspects of their work. It's dry but important. I have a backlog of episodes to listen to. Many of these episodes also exist in video form with extra info.

Last edited by Vega; 03-25-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:31 PM
who's she

I think The Devil’s Party is my new favorite podcast - a read-through and analysis of Paradise Lost. It’s a three dollar patreon subscription to get all the content but so worth it.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:03 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Listen to this week's Comedy Bang Bang. It is delightful. Also, Jon Hamm seems more knowledgeable about Pokemon than Scott Aukerman. But that's an easy contest to win, I think.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Mystery Contraption

Zach is relentlessly delightful in everything he does
Old 04-11-2018, 10:31 AM
anti-piracy measure

It's funny how after hearing Retronauts and then MBMBAM both had digressions on eels, Comedy Bang Bang 538 (admittedly from the week before) had a bit about getting bit by eels in VR, and then Video Death Loop's backup episode with Hercules has an extended digression on hydra vore.

Half expected to have the beef and dairy network put up a new episode on sea pygmy cows at that point
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Mystery Contraption

Speaking of; I really can't think of any characters I find quite so fundamentally unnerving as Eli Roberts from Beef & Dairy Network.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:20 AM
anti-piracy measure

It is rare that a podcast produces a villainous character so thoroughly heinous yet at the same time breathtakingly plausible
Old 04-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Senhor Member

Any Blankies in this thread? Love the two friends, Ben, and their guests. The first series, going over the Star Wars prequels critically may be annoying. I was not having their “what other star wars movies” bit at all. (otherwise, big fan of their bits) Feel free to skip it, and just listen to any directors or movies you like or are curious about.

They have ads now and I appreciate theirs more than others. Not everyone’s going to sound charming shilling for mattresses! Indeeed, almost no one is. (also liked some of Paul Scheer’s ads on How Did This Get Made?, but one time he whispered in one; it felt too intimate and I recoiled)

I also listen to the new Night Call Podcast, with Molly Lambert, Emily Yoshida, and Tess Lynch. No real theme, but some interesting conversations.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Mystery Contraption

I decided to relisten to Qwerpline when I was doing the dishes.

God, I miss Qwerpline.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
God, I miss Qwerpline.
I have good news, then!

They already have ~half of a new season recorded, but are waiting until it's all done so that they can release the new season on a nice regular weekly schedule instead of their old "forever" schedule. I believe I heard a "May" target tossed around for them to start releasing the new episodes.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Mystery Contraption

!

!!!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

Hate to double post, but by randomly listening to The Flophouse, I came upon the introduction of The Housecat. Which, up until this moment, I thought was supposed to be invoking Dans actual cat, which did sometimes ra-row over their dialogue.

But nope! Just some thing Stuart did as a weirdo.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:22 AM
who's she

The Reductress podcast is pretty great. Mostly they just read stories from the website, but I don't get around to reading the website, so that's perfect.

I stopped listening to Do By Friday because it just got to be too much noise and nonsense for me. Which is too bad because the recent Lonely Sandwich guest episode was great and the exact opposite of that. But I think that podcast has a bit of an identity crisis in that it's generally a show where they complain about the state of the world and internet while also kind of reveling in lampooning that same horribleness. That sort of bitter sarcasm walks a thin line for me between turning into just more of the same depressing awfulness.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 AM
of the Black Falcons

Oh hey, they’s my friend Sarah. She’s one of the founders of Reductress.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 PM
hidden in snow

I used to enjoy most of the Laser Time podcasts, but recently have only been listening to 30-20-10 and occasionally Bonus Time since I’m a Patreon backer. Apparently some stuff has been brewing in the background, and caused quite a rift between most everyone. I liked hearing Chris’s perspective on things, but I read some stuff from his ex GF, as well as Bob and Henry, and it’s totally soured him to me. I’ll be pulling my Patreon contribution soon, just gives me a shitty feeling to support him right now.

Tags
podcast , recommendations , whats up hot dog