The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

You say this now. Then you're going to put Resurrection in your blu ray player and pray for death.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 PM
borgn

Well, this came in the mail today, which was fast as hell (for regular free 5-8 day shipping), and I'm going to watch Alien for the first time in I don't even remember when.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 PM
borgn

Fuck, Alien is a good movie. It's dense and slow, and I'm surprised at how low-key the gore seems now. Seriously, the worst parts aren't even the chestburst scene or anything, it's the facehugger. Ugh. The only thing I really don't like much is Lambert when she gets panicky (it's not particularly great acting).
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Well, this came in the mail today, which was fast as hell (for regular free 5-8 day shipping), and I'm going to watch Alien for the first time in I don't even remember when.
I know, right? Mine arrived yesterday; 2 days.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 AM

Your sweet orders came fast at the probable cost of human life. Feel guilty!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Space dad

Nah.

I've read the original article referenced there (and a longer account from someone who worked at a warehouse for her story and detailed her experiences there), and yeah, it sounds like Amazon warehouses are pretty shitty places to work! But you know something? There are a lot of shitty places to work, some of them better than Amazon warehouses, some worse, and I'm not going to gnash my teeth over this one.

When I'm shopping locally I prefer retailers like Costco that treat their employees well. I like to support local businesses when I can afford to. But when I want an $80 Blu-ray set for $30, I go to Amazon, and I don't feel particularly bad about it. I'm more inclined to feel bad about the food I buy (and the factory farming practices and exploited immigrant labor that keeps it affordable) or the petroleum-based products I consume (or hell, any other mineral — mining that shit is dangerous) than I am about this.

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 06-03-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Time for singing

A friend of mine watched the first two Aliens today for the first time. She said the power loader sequence was silly.

I was aghast, and said, "But it's one of the greatest showdowns in movie history!"

This was met with laughter.

As though I had made a joke.

It is amazing, though! It's a great payoff to what you didn't even realize was a Chekhov's Gun! It's world building, for the sake of taking that world and smashing an alien's face with it!

These kids today!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Mine came yesterday too. Amazon <3 u r teh best

Also, you mean ex-friend, right Maggie?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

So hey! EDJ, Matchstick, Ethan, and the Action Cast crew (me, Shakewell, Stephen, Calories) talk about Xenomorphs.

We edited out the beginning because it was super long so it kind of starts in the middle of a non-existing news section. But yeah, it's awesome.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Also, you mean ex-friend, right Maggie?
Absolutely. The kind of mind that doesn't get a thrill at the sight of Ripley stepping out of the shadows in that power loader is a mind as alien to me as that of a spider's. What does such a person want? What is fun to this type of person?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 PM
d.o_o.b

Does she at least understand the brilliance of Bill Paxton?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Knives, sharp sticks....
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
Knives, sharp sticks....
Harsh language!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

That was not Bill Paxton, sir. ALIENS FAIL
Old 06-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Time for singing

I actually found him kind of grating this time. Aliens was a movie that young me loved and remembered fondly, but adult me was kind of embarrassed to be viewing. The power loader thing is amazing, and the puppetry on the queen is cool, but compared to Alien, this was a very silly movie.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Default Damn you Capsban!

Get The Fuck Out

No One Talks Shit About Hudson And Lives
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
I actually found him kind of grating this time. Aliens was a movie that young me loved and remembered fondly, but adult me was kind of embarrassed to be viewing. The power loader thing is amazing, and the puppetry on the queen is cool, but compared to Alien, this was a very silly movie.
Yeah, they're very different movies.

Re: foreshadowing, Prometheus is really bad at it.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Time for singing

I... don't understand the appeal of Hudson.

But I hope Prometheus is ok. Going to the Imax with my girlfriend, who is a much bigger fan than me. I just don't do well seeing tense action movies in theaters (something about the loud noises, etc. Even the trailer stresses me out), so I'd have probably waited for the DVD.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

That's because you are wrongheaded! "Bad ass man, I mean big!"
Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredde View Post
which might seem dumb, but keep in mind that at this point they think that what's running around the ship is a small, admittedly scary-looking but probably not that dangerous creature
You mean the thing that jumped out of a guy's chest and has acid blood that could eat through the ship?

I know the movie is old, but the whole "split up!" thing is still dumb. And then they send the guy to refuel the flamethrowers on his own after the thing is full sized.

edit: first movie does have one thing on Aliens though: an awesome Ripley tummy shot.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

So according to the Alien: Resurrection behind the scenes, everyone got to make exactly the movie they wanted? Whedon's script was largely unchanged and JPJ was pretty much unchallenged on all decisions. Uh. What?

Also, basketball: Sigourney made that no-look hook shot from beyond the three point line. No special FX trickery. And she said it was the best moment in her life, next to her wedding and the birth of her daughter. WHAT.

Then further down the menu is a behind the scenes section entitled "Newborn Dick Removal"

WHATHHRHDGHDGHDH
Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

I don't think Whedon was ever a good fit for Alien. His brand of sci-fi is too... goofy.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

Guys, I don't know how to say this but....

I really enjoyed Alien Resurrection.

Like, seriously. I just watched it and, taken as a whole, I liked it quite a bit more than Alien 3. This probably wouldn't have been such a shock to me if I hadn't read all the non-spoilery stuff in this thread before seeing 3 and Resurrection.... but well, there you have it.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 AM
It's all good, man

I thought it was better than 3, but that's saying very little. It's a deeply silly movie.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Alien 3 is a flawed movie, if only because of its troubled development process. It could've been great, but it ends up only being okay.

Resurrection is a pile of shit. I have a friend who thinks its "so bad its good" but I don't buy it. It's just bad. I mentioned on the Action Cast that basically every scene seems like bad Alien fanfiction, and I stick to that.

Also they basically completely ruin the Ripley character, one of the most iconic and great characters in action movie history, so fuck that movie.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Also they basically completely ruin the Ripley character, one of the most iconic and great characters in action movie history, so fuck that movie.
This alone is enough reason for me to burn the Resurrection blu-ray in a bunch of fires. The third movie is a decent progression for the Ripley character, even if it is flawed. In Resurrection, Ripley is a basketball superstar and Alien DNA gave her scaaaaaary black fingernails! Ooh!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM

I was watching the Nostalgia Critic's* take on Alien Resurrection and was utterly baffled by Brad Dourif.

WTF was he doing in that movie?

It's like he had carte blanche to drop acid between takes. His presence, along with Jean-Pierre Jeunet's carnival assortment of freaks in the cast, is what makes me think that Alien Resurrection might be camp.

I mean there's a scene where some military general pulls pieces of his brain out of his skull and another guy uses his chestburster as a weapon. A lot of it doesn't seem to be serious.

*Yeah, I know but it wasn't that bad of a riff and you get the feeling this guy puts a lot of effort into what he does even though he must get a lot of hate mail from lonely people who want to kill him because he comes up in their search results for free movies. Still, I don't think I'd ever watch much his crap.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

Oh it's absolutely camp. Dan Hedaya's wide-eyed examination of his own brains is what made me realize that and alter my expectations accordingly (or was it the preposterous explananation of how they cloned Ripley, along with her memories and even the alien fetus?). It's cheesy, low-grade, 90's sci-fi schlock that would be right at home on MST3K. From that moment, I was able to enjoy it on those terms, but the problem is that Alien and its sequel were above that sort of thing.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Conquers the World

One of my professors at SCAD was director of animation on Alien Resurrection. Apparently Jean-Pierre Jeunet hated him and insulted him endlessly and made it very difficult to do his job. I think my favorite story to come out of this was one where Jean-Pierre called him late one night and said "I just saw Jurassic Park: The Lost World, and you are a talentless piece of shit"

My professor had absolutely nothing to do with that movie.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

My professor had absolutely nothing to do with that movie.
Maybe he was implying that his work wasn't up to par with the work done in Lost World?

Last edited by `Hrist; 06-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Tags
alien , aliens , game over man , movies , quadrilogy , rise from your grave! , science fiction