The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 AM
d.o_o.b

Also sweet: Batman/Aliens.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Comprehends Words

I never really understood the Alien 3 hate, myself. I think its biggest failing is that it's so similar in format to the original that one can't help but compare the two, and it definitely falls way short of that mark. Still, I think it's an enjoyable enough flick despite that.

I didn't know about the Assembly Cut, though. I'll have to check that out.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 AM
I Cuss You Bad

My problem with Alien 3 isn't that it's a bad film, it's that it's not a good film. I can see the germ of a good film there, but it's not suspenseful enough and a little boring. Oddly, as I remember it it's actually too gory, to the point of being unintentionally hilarious.

I need to see the Assembly Cut.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Also sweet: Batman/Aliens.
Paging Docteur Freud: http://www.thevalve.org/uploads/panel1.jpg
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Brand View Post
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid ... complete shit
You need to get your nut and get it soon; surplus cum has backed up into your brain and driven you mad.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

I'm mad because it's my favorite movie, or I'm mad because I said it's shit? Because I didn't say it's shit. I just said that some other people think that, and if they were to list the objective reasons why, none of the reasons would necessarily be wrong. Actually, it might kind of read like a list of reasons why I love the movie.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:09 AM
HAMKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Gross! fap fap fap fap fap
Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 AM
An Animal of Joy

Alien Vs. Predator 2 is pretty amazing you guys. It's like this fantastic catastrophy that you get to see from every angle. Space marines arrive to find this completely effed over colony, as the alien you get to do the damage, and it turns out the predator is the one who messed up the security systems in the first place. I also love the spectrum of experience you get from the game depending on which species you control. Going from "near invinceable all-seeing stalker" to "high speed shit wrecker" to "guy with flashlight". There are some parts as a marine that are VERY scary and suspenseful, for those that were worried it was too cinematic.

The first game's story doesn't dovetail in the same interesting ways and I think playing the human is a little too difficult (since you don't have the always-on motion tracker I think) and the level design is pretty dated in that it's easy to get lost and your objective isn't always clear. Still fun though, and it still has that same three way genre twisting appeal.

Should I get the third one for cheap? anyone know?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

In the first game your motion tracker was on unless you used night vision. The game is very dark and night vision is essential, especially because lights can be shot out, but rather than overpower you with motion tracking AND night vision, you get one or the other. I thought it was a very cool way to balance things and increase tension without being cheap. Maybe I'm just a sucker for horror themed games but playing as the other species just wasn't as interesting to me.

Maybe I'll look up AVP2 one of these days though. The most recent AVP game just sounds too average for me to give it any serious consideration.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM
HAMKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
The most recent AVP game just sucks asshole.
Yeah.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Can't peeve the Sheev

So I was reading through this thread again, and I found something that I had comment on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
we came to the conclusion that everyone on board the Nostromo has basically slept with everyone else
Well, apparently not everyone on the Nostromo has slept with each other:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Ridley Scott records, in the DVD commentary, the existence of a deleted scene where the two female characters discuss Ash, where they discover that neither have had sexual intercourse with him. "I never got the idea that he was particularly interested.", states Lambert to Ripley.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:44 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

So I'm watching Alien Resurrection for the first time ever and JESUS CHRIST this shit is awful. I've always had a weird attraction to Winona Ryder and seeing Young Tuco is kinda amusing but it is nowhere near enough to carry a whole (really stupid) movie. I especially love how the characters all know things about Ripley's past for reasons that are never explained or elaborated upon. Okay JUST as I typed that they explained how Winona Ryder's character knew, but there was a scene where Ron Perlman somehow knew that Ripley had fought xenomorphs before and...it...I mean, did he see Aliens too? All the action setpieces have been terribly embarrassing. Plus the whole "Ripley's part alien!" thing is just...and the way Ripley...Jesus Christ this movie is awful.

I read that Joss Whedon basically disowned it and claims that it's the director's fault, but I

AN ALIEN JUST BURST THROUGH A DUDES CHEST THROUGH A DUDES HEAD

DEATH BY OTHER GUY DYING BY CHESTBURSTER

This happened after he activated BERSERKER MODE

Anyway, yeah so Whedon claims its not his fault but I don't buy it. I mean, it's true; everything else is shitty too but the script is chock full of "Oh man wouldn't it be cool if they made an Alien movie where *insert bad fanboy idea here*". It's just embarrassing.

Edit: The last 20 minutes of this movie is the albino humalien looking sad and really cheap looking gore shots.

"What's burning?!" "Us!" "...shit! You're right!" Both: "AHHHHHH"

Last edited by Alixsar; 05-21-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I don't know the particulars. They did make changes, I do know that. But yeah, basically everyone involved in that movie should be embarrassed. I have to imagine that the overall plot is his, which is awful. I was about to say that I'm surprised that this came from the same director as Amelie, but that's an entirely different genre so I guess it makes sense. You can tell he's not familiar with action/horror in several places.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

It's still baffling as shit. Like, Ang Lee's Hulk baffling.

I'm not a huge fan of the third Alien movie, but it's passable and I'm willing to accept it because it follows the ridiculously awesome title thread of the series.

But Alien Resurrection makes me sad. And it will not be a part of my pre-Prometheus Alien movie marathon.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

The only movie I have left as part of my pre-Promtheus Alienathon is Alien 3, and I am not excited about the prospect of watching it. I remember it being boring as shit but I haven't seen it in years, so I don't know what's going to happen. I'm dreading it, though.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I don't know the particulars. They did make changes, I do know that. But yeah, basically everyone involved in that movie should be embarrassed. I have to imagine that the overall plot is his, which is awful. I was about to say that I'm surprised that this came from the same director as Amelie, but that's an entirely different genre so I guess it makes sense. You can tell he's not familiar with action/horror in several places.
So what this means is that Amelie really should've put a chestburster egg in the evil grocer's underwear drawer.

Because you know Sigourney Weaver and Winona Ryder totally went riding across Paris on a moped after landing.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Dude Spoilarz
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I watched Aliens again the other night AND I STILL LOVE IT.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

Not reading this thread just yet, but I jumped in here to say that I'm about to watch Alien 3 for the first time. All I've heard is that this is where the franchise starts to a) break its own rules, and b) go downhill, fast.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
AN ALIEN JUST BURST THROUGH A DUDES CHEST THROUGH A DUDES HEAD
They actually bit that from one of the Dark Horse Alien comics, I forget which.

Resurrection is a goddamned weird movie to me because it has big chunks that are pretty good I think, and then there are just big chunks like...what? And everything that happens after the aliens snatch Ripley towards the end is just diabolically awful. I have read the original script, and if you can believe it, the climactic sequence was supposed to be even longer and even more pointlessly gooey. There was a whole extra scene after they crash-landed the ship where they finally killed the alien/human baby thing with some giant combine harvester deal. Swear to god.

It's kind of funny to see the germ of the Firefly cast in it, though. Bits of Jayne and Kayleigh and Mal in the Betty crew here and there.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Not reading this thread just yet, but I jumped in here to say that I'm about to watch Alien 3 for the first time. All I've heard is that this is where the franchise starts to a) break its own rules, and b) go downhill, fast.
Update: I'm going to have to put this on hold. A friend of mine knows that one of my major hang-ups in movies is anything gruesome or depraved involving dogs or cats, and intervened before we were about to start watching.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Watch the director's cut (well, not a director's cut exactly because Fincher hates the movie, but the longer/different version from the Quadrilogy set). There, the gruesome thing happens to an ox instead of a dog.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Update: I'm going to have to put this on hold. A friend of mine knows that one of my major hang-ups in movies is anything gruesome or depraved involving dogs or cats, and intervened before we were about to start watching.
Watch the assembly cut! It bursts out of a cow instead of a dog.

Then again, the assembly cut is over 2 hours long, so maybe just skip that scene. I mean, as long as you understand that an alien is around, you'll be able to keep up.

Edit: Ooops. Yeah, what he said!

I rewatched Alien 3 the other day. It's not as bad as I remember but it's also not good. It just is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
I haven't seen Alien 3 in years, so I can't comment on its overall quality, but that chase sequence at the end was totally sweet.
This is absolutely not true. It's WAY too long and same-y. I can only watch random nameless mooks running away from a camera screaming for so long.

Last edited by Alixsar; 05-22-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Alien Resurrection only has one thing going for it: Michael Wincott.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

But he dies before he does anything cool! Then we just get left with CSI McGunhands and Hellboy to carry all the "shooting at stuff" load and its just not enough.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I didn't say it was enough to salvage the movie in any way, but just his presence is cool. He is always awesome even if he doesn't do much just because he is Michael Wincott.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
This is absolutely not true. It's WAY too long and same-y. I can only watch random nameless mooks running away from a camera screaming for so long.
Yeah, the funny thing about Alien 3 is that the movie starts going downhill right when the alien shows up. That's when it starts to devolve into a lot of scenes where dudes run down corridors while an anamorphic lens chases them and we don't really understand the rhyme or reason of any of it.

Before the alien pops out, on the other hand, is a bunch of pretty good character actors in a dialogue movie, and I like those bits a lot. Charles S. Dutton's eulogy scene still kinda gives me the chills.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
Alien Resurrection only has one thing going for it: Michael Wincott.
Plus that one chick's ass

The director did Amelie - but also City Of Lost Children and Delicatessen.. so I think they were trying to capture that sort of dark fantasy feel.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Watched Alien again tonight.

Aliens is still better. On pretty much every front.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Re-watched Alien. Some things I noticed:

The part where they aproach the alien spaceship, and you see their view of it from the blurry, shaking cameras on their suits, felt like an early version of the Blair Witch horror concept. At least it stirred the same kind of eerie feelings in me.

The movie mostly avoids the old horror movie trope of characters being stupid and splitting up when it would be a much better idea to stay together, thereby getting themselves killed. Kane dies by chestbursting, of course. Then they start hunting for the chestburster in teams of three, and Brett only goes off alone to look for the cat, which might seem dumb, but keep in mind that at this point they think that what's running around the ship is a small, admittedly scary-looking but probably not that dangerous creature that could potentially be handled by one person on their own. So when Brett is killed by the adult alien, everyone is surprised, and rightfully so. Then Dallas goes into the airvents on his own while the others keep tabs on him with the motion tracker. He's obviously not very happy about crawling around in there alone (see when he asks the computer "What are my chances?"), but apparently he's decided that it'd be far more trouble if there were two people in that cramped space. So he gets picked off. Then Ash goes crazy and gets his head banged off, and the remaining three decides to abandon ship. And yes, them splitting up at this point might be a bit stupid, but funilly enough, the alien goes after the team of two rather than the lone Ripley, implying that even if they had stuck together, they'd probably be screwed anyway.

Third thing: Does anyone think Ash is actually far creepier than the alien? Sweating milk, trying to choke Ripley with a rolled-up magazine, still walking around with twitching arms when his head gets knocked off. I've seen the movie so many times that the alien bits doesn't really scare me very much anymore, but Ash still does.

Tags
alien , aliens , game over man , movies , quadrilogy , rise from your grave! , science fiction