The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Can't speak for 3 or Resurrection, but for the first two, the directors cuts add nothing except making the movie longer. It doesn't detract from the original, but the slower pace hurts Aliens pretty badly.
Cameron describes the extended Aliens as "40 miles of bad road" (I may be a little off on the exact number) and boy is he right.

Aside from being too fucking long, it does two key things wrong: the second reel on LV-426 blows the suspense in the second act right out of the water, and the sequence about Ripley's daughter hammers home a point that didn't need it.

Quote:
Supposedly, the DC of Alien 3 is practically a different, better, movie. But that's hearsay.
It's a better movie, IMO, but not really a different one? I haven't watched the original cut in a long time but as I recall all the same underlying problems are still there.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:55 AM
What Time Is It?

Isn't the cool auto-turret only in the Aliens extended cut?

Also, the Alien "Director's Cut" adds some things in near the end which really mess with the pacing (but does add a scene where Lambert slaps Ripley, which I think it pretty alright).

So, uh, those two additions (cool turrent and a mad Lambert) are in the plus camp.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Better be the real thing.

So here's something I started wondering after reading about the xenomorph's life cycle yesterday:

What does the xenomorph being created by a megalomaniacal and genocidal android imply about the blatantly sexual imagery involved in the alien's design?
Old 05-28-2017, 08:55 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

So I've watched Alien for the first time in a while and yes, it owns. Also, Alien (that is its name) definitely has a glans at the back of its skull, as in the concept art. Does it disappear in all later entries? Is it always there? I only noticed it in one scene towards the end. Different models? Lighting? Mystery for the ages.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:05 PM
Better be the real thing.

I was just reading about the Alien design and life cycle yesterday, and it mentioned that they sometimes have ridges on their heads, depending on the sequel.

(There was originally a question in this space, and I completely forgot that I'd posted it earlier. *Headslap*)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:10 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
So here's something I started wondering after reading about the xenomorph's life cycle yesterday:

What does the xenomorph being created by a megalomaniacal and genocidal android imply about the blatantly sexual imagery involved in the alien's design?
H.R. Giger was an ANDROID??!!!
Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post

"Everything about meat is disgusting!"
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
So I've watched Alien for the first time in a while and yes, it owns. Also, Alien (that is its name) definitely has a glans at the back of its skull, as in the concept art. Does it disappear in all later entries? Is it always there? I only noticed it in one scene towards the end. Different models? Lighting? Mystery for the ages.
IIRC they used a totally different set of puppets for Aliens.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Yeah, the first movie is definitely the heaviest on Giger's trademark genital symbolism. Or not really symbolism, really just dicks and pussy right in your face.

There's a funny bit in Giger's Alien about a brief dispute between Giger and the producers over the design of the alien egg, which originally would have had just a single slit across the top for an aperture. The bosses thought that was a little too on the nose.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM
ahm margaret wartahm

The xenomorph skull in Predator 2 also has a bellend. Otherwise, that aspect definitely seemed to have been toned down after Alien.

Further discovery: Rickety Cricket is in AvP 2, which I am watching now. (Not very attentively)

Alien versus Predator... who is the alien? Who is the predator? Ever think about that?
Old 05-31-2017, 03:37 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Alien versus Predator... Who is the predator?
Corporate greed, duh...
Old 05-31-2017, 08:26 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
There's a funny bit in Giger's Alien about a brief dispute between Giger and the producers over the design of the alien egg, which originally would have had just a single slit across the top for an aperture. The bosses thought that was a little too on the nose.
Quote:
Giger initially designed the eggs with a much more obvious vaginal appearance, complete with an "inner and outer vulva".[36] The producers complained that Catholic countries would ban the film if the allusion was too strong, so Giger doubled the lobes to four so that, in his words, "seen from above, they would form the cross that people in Catholic countries are so fond of looking at".[36]
Badass.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:20 AM
All are Santa Saturn

Troll level: Giger.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 PM
d.o_o.b

Alien: Covenant sure was a Marvel movie.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Badass.
I highly recommend that book, both for its gorgeous illustrations and for Giger's diaries of the film's production, which IIRC are at least 30-40 percent just talking trash about how much he hates Dan O'Bannon.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 AM
whatever it takes

Actually this video contains everything you need to know about H.R. Giger

Old 06-01-2017, 11:01 AM
ahm margaret wartahm

Well, now I've re-watched everything but Alien: Covenant. Was surprised to see AvP's clear and indisputable artistic influence on Prometheus in the form of an ancient green pyramid hologram with our protagonists imaged in red... itself taken from Resident Evil. Otherwise, once again, I have forgotten most things about that movie.

One thing I really appreciate about the original Alien: "this unfamiliar monster poses a grave threat to a group of poorly armed, non-soldiers trapped on a ship" > "these critters can take over planet earth, no problem, you're fools to try to study them!" Alien 3 isn't better than Aliens, of course, but I appreciate that it briefly returned the franchise to that threat level.

Fun ("fun") fact: before I popped in Alien, the Blu-Ray in my computer was Return of the Living Dead, which I stopped re-watching halfway through... six (?) months ago. whoa

Tags
alien , aliens , game over man , movies , quadrilogy , rise from your grave! , science fiction